Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2018 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Fcuk me, a grand each way? Do you wipe your arse with £50 notes?
  • Options
    Milansbar sneaking 5th turned a small profit. Really pleased for Davy Russell.

All back safe is the main thing.
  • Options
    Haha...I wish! Do give a good lash at one when price right though and can get on.
  • Options
    A grand each way?

Lend us a tener mate
  • Options
    Thanks Peanuts, winning again was never in doubt.

I had £10 e/w on Bless The Wings at 50/1. (as well as Seeyouatmidnight, Houblon and Final Nudge.

£80 profit I reckon.
  • Options
    Did Houblon, Milansbar and Raz de Maree. It was 6years to the day of having the 1 and 2 in the GN (and Charlton getting promoted at Carlisle) and I was dreaming of a big payout again. Alas, not to be.

Milansbar placing meant I was less than a tenner down, and then remembered I had Tigers Roll in the work sweep which meant a rare treat of a takeaway pizza.

Cheers Peanuts and the many others who have once again contributed to a great thread.

• Options
    Thanks Peanuts n all. Up about £65.
  • Options
    7 notes down but so close with Pleasant Company. Another 5 yards and....
  • Options
    Cheers Peanuts, on your earlier comments I backed Bless The Wings and Milansbar. Backed Tiger Roll this morning remembering your comments after Cheltenham also.
    Glad they all got back to the stables safely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers for everyone who has imparted their wisdom, knowledge, or even a strange itch in their appendix scar on this thread.

Only ever bet on this and last couple of years on the Cheltenham Festival and really enjoy all the input.
  • Options
    Well done to all those that had the winner and made a profit.From a racing point of view you couldn’t of had a worse owner winning the race! At the end of the day is that all the horses returned home safely
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Well done to all those that had the winner and made a profit.From a racing point of view you couldn’t of had a worse owner winning the race! At the end of the day is that all the horses returned home safely

How refreshing was jockey Davy Russell, when giving his after race interviews?
  • Options

The Mrs had £2.50 EW on Tiger Roll. I won't be hearing the last of that!

My wife had exactly the same bet and beat mine in the photo finish !

And to complete the hat-trick of Beehive National Hunt Club veterans on here, my wife had it too but to £5 e/w.
  • Options
    £5 e/w on Bless the Wings at 50/1. Nice.
  • Options
    Cheers pm, superb knowledge. Had milansbar and bless the wings on their earlier longer odds thanks to you. Then the Mrs picked tiger roll last night as she likes tiger bread...
  • Options
    Thanks peanuts and bet365.
    Their promotion meant a little profit for the day
  • Options
    Thanks peanuts I had bless the wings each way to .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    having Milansbar meant I broke even.

Wife picked Tiger Roll so family in the money (£30!)

• Options
    One of my favourite annual threads. Thanks to @PeanutsMolloy and everyone else. I made a small profit mostly due to my daughter picking Tiger Roll.
  • Options
    Thanks Peanuts and also to the other posters chipping in, another enjoyable thread

No win for me this year but 3 places of the 7 I picked so just about doubled my money.

Gutted for HDO, think he would have placed at least
  • Options
    Almost identical situation here Henry.
  • Options
    Interesting stat knocking around about Irish trained horses in soft ground nationals. First 4 home yesterday and similar domination prior to that on soft ground
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Interesting stat knocking around about Irish trained horses in soft ground nationals. First 4 home yesterday and similar domination prior to that on soft ground

I would have thought that Irish racing would be run on ground much softer than in the UK, just to the amount of rain that falls there compared to here.
  • Options

I would have thought that Irish racing would be run on ground much softer than in the UK, just to amount of rain that falls there compared to here.
    Agreed, apart from horses that run well at Ayr or Perth as Scotland obviously has a lot of rain too
  • Options

I would have thought that Irish racing would be run on ground much softer than in the UK, just to amount of rain that falls there compared to here.
    Yeah that is the theory. Better conditioned and maybe better horses anyway for it
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Interesting point @PolzeathNick and stats make compelling reading.

Last 3 GNs to be run in time over 16 seconds per furlong, Irish-trained runners were:

• 2006 (GS!!): 8 from 40 runners (20%), finishing 1,2,4 (50% of first 6)
    • 2016 (Soft[Hvy]) : 13 from 39 (33%), finishing 1,3,4,5,6 (83%)
    • 2018 (Hvy[Sft]): 16 from 38 (42%), finishing 1,2,3,4,6 (83%)

In the other 10 GNS since 2006, run on differing degrees of better ground, the overall figures are:

• 28.6% of runners: 1 winner (10%), 16 in first 6 home (26.7%) with no outperformance in any particular year comparable to that in Soft ground GNs.

It’s still a small sample but the discrepancy in performance certainly looks stark.
    So, it’s not going to be more favourable handicapping (contentious of course) nor necessarily that they have better quality stayers. A GN on good ground is still an extreme test of stamina, though they obviously suit some runners rather than others.
    No doubt that Irish chasers habitually race on softer ground than British. It's fair to say that "Heavy" probably wouldn't have entered into the going description if yesterday's race were run in Ireland.
    Obviously runners from the top stables everywhere in Britain and Ireland are equally well-conditioned by state-of the-art training techniques but maybe the season-long grind on softer surfaces, continually jumping fences out of deeper ground, means that, come April, the Irish-trained runners are typically more used to it and have that extra few % to negotiate 34.5f and 30 obstacles on Soft compared to the Brits.
    Interesting to note that, though they’ve had far lesser representation, the Irish record in the Newbury Hennessy at the start of the season, typically run on Soft ground, is very poor – Total Recall being only the 3rd Irish-trained winner in 61 years.
    Whatever the reason, one to consider next time there’s a wet spring.
    Cheers.