Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth Fan In Peace - Saturdays Game

Comments

• Options

I would be fuming if I was a Plymouth fan with what has happened today at The Valley. Plymouth were guaranteed 3 points before Robinson left, now we may potentially have a chance. The crowd will be lively on Saturday and fully behind Bowyer/Jacko and hopefully all of this will culminate in a new manager bounce.

Yep - be nice for us to be the beneficiaries of a new manager bounce for once

• Options
    I reckon we will only lose 3-0 now.
  • Options

I reckon we will only lose 3-0 now.

Do we actually have a fit keeper - or is the Youth Team guy in goal?

• Options

I would be fuming if I was a Plymouth fan with what has happened today at The Valley. Plymouth were guaranteed 3 points before Robinson left, now we may potentially have a chance. The crowd will be lively on Saturday and fully behind Bowyer/Jacko and hopefully all of this will culminate in a new manager bounce.

We've got two hopes... Bob and No!!
  • Options
    I now think we will win this after today's events. It's a shame Robbo didn't leave a couple of games ago as then our play off chances would have looked a lot rosier with a few extra points on the board. Beat Plymouth and we are right back in it. I'm now glad that I return from my holidays the day before the play off final.
  • Options
    Could be a strange atmosphere at this. I'm tempted to go if it's going to be the last game of the Duchatelet era.
  • Options
    Ha Ha. All change this end.
  • Options
    Not certain we will win, but we do have some decent players and I would not welcome recent developments if I was a Plymouth fan.
  • Options
    Greenwich and Blackheath pubs are best places for drink.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still not going if Roland owns us. The game after is another matter.
  • Options
    A player linked to both Charlton and Plymouth in the 1950s was Jimmy Gauld. He played as a goal-scoring inside forward but his reputation was blemished in the early 60s when he was jailed and fined for his role as ringleader in a match fixing scandal.
  • Options
    I've bet on Plymouth, just to make sure we can get a point out of it at least :)
  • Options
    I wasn't going but am now. Suddenly feel more optimistic.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Any one remember that documentary a few years back, when we sent someone down to Plymouth to show how a football club should be run?
    I'm hoping that someone does a follow up.

I remember this embarrassing doc involving Steve Sutherland. I thought it was terribly ill-advised at the time. If it had been a truly big club with no chance of dropping down the divisions, it might have worked but us effectively loading it over a club like Plymouth was asking for trouble. I went on the radio at the time to say it would look v silly in a few years time and so it's proved.
  • Options

I wasn't going but am now. Suddenly feel more optimistic.

After Robbo leaving and takeover imminent, tomorrow's game:

Official attendance: 12, 264.

Born again Charlton supporters who actually turn up: 15,000

• Options
    Words can't describe how pleased i am that Magennis can't play!
  • Options
    Might be an omen here. Have just seen in Michael Walsh's book "Charlton Athletic - a nostalgic look at a century of the club"

22 January 2011

Charlton 2 Plymouth 0
    Chris Powell's first game as Manager and a first win since November
  • Options
    Plymouth could suffer at the hands of a Charlton no manager* bounce....

*Unless Bowyer does so well that he gets the permanent gig under new owners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We will play great football with high determination and then you will score.
  • Options

HarryLime said:

Any one remember that documentary a few years back, when we sent someone down to Plymouth to show how a football club should be run?

I remember this embarrassing doc involving Steve Sutherland. I thought it was terribly ill-advised at the time. If it had been a truly big club with no chance of dropping down the divisions, it might have worked but us effectively loading it over a club like Plymouth was asking for trouble. I went on the radio at the time to say it would look v silly in a few years time and so it's proved.
    I don't agree with this.

I thought that the whole point was that we were on our uppers, just about down and out. We managed to pool our talents and resources and showed the world how a well managed club with potential could rise from potential disaster.

It was a very good model that I was proud of. No Bertie big bollox just happy to pass on our experience.

This

And it was an example that other clubs look like they’ve probably repeated since and one we forgot
  • Options

HarryLime said:

I seem to remember that it was Argyle that approached us for guidance, as they were keen to modernise and expand their administration.
    Nothing to do with the playing side.

At the time the football world was in awe that we were consistantly 'punching above our weight' in the Prem.
    We were often spoken of as a model to aspire to.

• Options
    Quite a few of the Green Army are at the ‘Deptford Craft Beer Feast’, right by the station. A very good choice of beer and a good vibe - http://www.deptfordmarketyard.com/deptford-craft-beer-feast/

Also handily places for ‘The Dog & Bell’ in Princes St
  • Options
    Football is weird.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Plymouth looked up for it, and played with strength, tempo and confidence but every one of our players were technically better than theirs. Playing like they did might have beaten us last week - but we were a different team today - less playing in front of them and more getting through them. They had a spell were the game become more even after our second, but second half, they had two speculative long range efforts and we had enough chances to get a couple more.
  • Options

Plymouth looked up for it, and played with strength, tempo and confidence but every one of our players were technically better than theirs. Playing like they did might have beaten us last week - but we were a different team today - less playing in front of them and more getting through them. They had a spell were the game become more even after our second, but second half, they had two speculative long range efforts and we had enough chances to get a couple more.

It's probably why their fans went so quiet. They were noisier at 2.40.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    You could sort of see why they have been doing so well recently, it is just the tempo and joined upness (if that makes sense) of our side was at a level I have not seen all season. I thought Reeves, Ajose and Zyro were important factors that helped our other players. Robbo's team built too slowly and played too much in front of opponents, lots of easy possession, but too easy to defend against. We were very difficult to defend against today. We created decent chances throughout the game. I have rarely seen a team create as little as Plymouth did in the second half, which is a good sign as you can see how they were up for it strangely enough.