Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth post match views 24/3/18

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

purdis said:

Still smiling whenever I think about our performance.

We made a very good Plymouth side, buzzing with confidence and with that ‘we are gonna beat you’ arrogance, look average and stifled them brilliantly.

Bowyer’s comment that you cannot play the same system every week, every game’s different, summed it all up - and also summed up the tragedy of what might have been with this squad under the right leadership and motivation.

Almost impossible to name a Man of the Match as every single player played well and they played as a team, working for each other, supporting each other, enjoying their football, looking to get the ball forward instead of sideways or backwards - a totally polar opposite of the dire, slow-build up, predictable dross to which we’ve become accustomed.

Pearce superb, bossed it, Bauer having a fierce battle with the Ginger Ninja, more than holding his own, Dijksteel showing fantastic pace and great recovery skills when he looked to be in trouble, Lewis - a pleasure to watch - again bags of pace and a fantastic goal (reminded me of Brian Kinsey’s goal vs Millwall at The Valley all those years ago).

Reeves best game by far and he at last seems to have found what he needs around him to flourish in the middle.

JFC a totally different player overnight.

Aribo - the boy is going to be a star and I expect to see him in the Premiership all too soon.

Fosu always dangerous, regularly drawing three defenders, sometimes more, that creating space in itself. His decision making still not ideal but with more games and confidence growing that he will have support and people running the channels, he will improve. A player you could see they feared.

Then, on the occasion when we played long, Zyro was immense, strong, great hold up play, so difficult to get him off the ball and his aerial lay offs were skilfully directed as he knew Ajose would be looking to receive - under KR the Magennis aerial lay-offs were to nobody - he was regularly isolated with no support.

Zyro could be our new Yann and he is a huge bonus for the Addicks as he is playing well below his level on his road to recovery - simply love the look of the guy - quite special.

Ajose was the player we hoped he’d be when we signed him and can only get better with more game time - worked his socks off, two top notch snap shots, really positive, opportunist strikes.

So, my only regret is that I had trained my mind to believe KR would come good - a little bit mesmerised by his bullsh*t.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer but it was lovely to see the swallow flying after a very bleak winter.

Spot on. KR played a part in shaking things up, clearing some dead wood from the squad, and he brought in some decent players for not very much. But then he showed his failings.
    The Magennis up top in the same formation week after week drove me nuts. Results were the proof that in the end, that he doesn't have what it takes. I hope he learns something from the experience.
    The feel good factor has returned. All day I have literally been feeling good!

Do you remember Brian Kinsey’s goal from 25 yards vs Millwall when we lost 4-3 at The Valley in front of a 35,000 crowd or am I just getting too long in the tooth?
  • Options
    A quicker tempo was the big difference with Bowyer's set up, and as well as having two strikers playing in tandem this confused Plymouth who thought we played a slow tempo game.
    Thanks to Amos we didn't go 1-1.
    In the second half the penny dropped that soft lad had gone and a new man was in charge.
    Plymouth huffed and puffed but we stood strong and should of won 4-0 but no problem we will keep 2 or 3 goals for next week.
  • Options
    Yeah looked like finally the team was trying to get the ball in the goal. As quickly as possible, every time.
  • Options
    purdis said:

We made a very good Plymouth side, buzzing with confidence and with that ‘we are gonna beat you’ arrogance, look average and stifled them brilliantly.

Bowyer’s comment that you cannot play the same system every week, every game’s different, summed it all up - and also summed up the tragedy of what might have been with this squad under the right leadership and motivation.

Almost impossible to name a Man of the Match as every single player played well and they played as a team, working for each other, supporting each other, enjoying their football, looking to get the ball forward instead of sideways or backwards - a totally polar opposite of the dire, slow-build up, predictable dross to which we’ve become accustomed.

Pearce superb, bossed it, Bauer having a fierce battle with the Ginger Ninja, more than holding his own, Dijksteel showing fantastic pace and great recovery skills when he looked to be in trouble, Lewis - a pleasure to watch - again bags of pace and a fantastic goal (reminded me of Brian Kinsey’s goal vs Millwall at The Valley all those years ago).

Reeves best game by far and he at last seems to have found what he needs around him to flourish in the middle.

Aribo - the boy is going to be a star and I expect to see him in the Premiership all too soon.

Fosu always dangerous, regularly drawing three defenders, sometimes more, that creating space in itself. His decision making still not ideal but with more games and confidence growing that he will have support and people running the channels, he will improve. A player you could see they feared.

Then, on the occasion when we played long, Zyro was immense, strong, great hold up play, so difficult to get him off the ball and his aerial lay offs were skilfully directed as he knew Ajose would be looking to receive - under KR the Magennis aerial lay-offs were to nobody - he was regularly isolated with no support.

Zyro could be our new Yann and he is a huge bonus for the Addicks as he is playing well below his level on his road to recovery - simply love the look of the guy - quite special.

Ajose was the player we hoped he’d be when we signed him and can only get better with more game time - worked his socks off, two top notch snap shots, really positive, opportunist strikes.

So, my only regret is that I had trained my mind to believe KR would come good - a little bit mesmerised by his bullsh*t.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer but it was lovely to see the swallow flying after a very bleak winter.

Great post
  • Options
    Sage said:

One little tactical aspect of the game that we introduced with Bowyer that I was impressed with, was that when we were defending, Ajose and Zyro split and sat closer to the Plymouth full backs, Fosu then sat on their holding midfielder.

This was all from Bowyer telling them exactly when and where to be. What this done tactically was stop their full backs pushing on as far and stopped their holding midfielder get any kind of control.

This little change meant they were very cautious of us on the counter attack which at times when we got through, we could’ve scored more.

Just something I don’t think Robinson would’ve done personally or even thought of. It really made a difference to us in our approach both defensively, and counter attacking too.

Insightful observation
  • Options
    purdis said:

JamesSeed said:

purdis said:

Spot on. KR played a part in shaking things up, clearing some dead wood from the squad, and he brought in some decent players for not very much. But then he showed his failings.
    The Magennis up top in the same formation week after week drove me nuts. Results were the proof that in the end, that he doesn't have what it takes. I hope he learns something from the experience.

Do you remember Brian Kinsey’s goal from 25 yards vs Millwall when we lost 4-3 at The Valley in front of a 35,000 crowd or am I just getting too long in the tooth?
    There was a 3-4 in 1968 but Kinsey was sub and didn’t score?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

One little tactical aspect of the game that we introduced with Bowyer that I was impressed with, was that when we were defending, Ajose and Zyro split and sat closer to the Plymouth full backs, Fosu then sat on their holding midfielder.

This was all from Bowyer telling them exactly when and where to be. What this done tactically was stop their full backs pushing on as far and stopped their holding midfielder get any kind of control.

This little change meant they were very cautious of us on the counter attack which at times when we got through, we could’ve scored more.

Just something I don’t think Robinson would’ve done personally or even thought of. It really made a difference to us in our approach both defensively, and counter attacking too.

Damn you @sage I’m now going to have to watch the whole game again to see what the hell was going on that I didn’t even notice!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Damn you @sage I’m now going to have to watch the whole game again to see what the hell was going on that I didn’t even notice!
    Nothing wrong with that! Get to enjoy it again and maybe see things that were very good and things that could be improved that you may not have seen. As said, everyone see’s things differently :smile:
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

purdis said:

JamesSeed said:

purdis said:

Told you I was getting too long in the tooth.

Certainly remember Kinsey’s strike though in one game around that time as it got caught in the stanchions - wonderful strike and perfectly executed - relaxed, not over hit and like a rocket - he didn’t score many which is one reason why I remember it - plus he was our Lewis of that era, left back, as it was in the day.
    If Lewis plays half as many games for us as Kinsey did, he will have had a good career.
  • Options
    I do remember another full back, Greg Shields firing in an absolute rocket at the other end - forget who it was against....
  • Options
    Think that was against Birmingham not 100% though.
  • Options
    I think it might have been Forest.
  • Options
    purdis said:

JamesSeed said:

purdis said:

JamesSeed said:

purdis said:

Told you I was getting too long in the tooth.

Certainly remember Kinsey’s strike though in one game around that time as it got caught in the stanchions - wonderful strike and perfectly executed - relaxed, not over hit and like a rocket - he didn’t score many which is one reason why I remember it - plus he was our Lewis of that era, left back, as it was in the day.
    If Lewis plays half as many games for us as Kinsey did, he will have had a good career.
    Had only been to The Valley once at that time (in ‘66), ostensibly to see Millwall :-(
  • Options
    This one has become a bit silly - shock horror - house prices are cheaper in Plymouth than London, you can pick virtually every place in Great Britain and say the same!
  • Options
    Sage said:

stonemuse said:

Sage said:

Insightful observation
    Thank you. We all see the game played in different ways, - just as a coach myself, I find myself subconsciously analysing throughout.

This was just one of a few that really stuck out, but personally I think made a big difference to our performance that others may not have saw.
    Did you spot similar things during Robinson's time? I got the impression with him that he was focussed on playing his system. It was about making it work with whatever players he had. The idea that we would make the opposition worry about us rather than adapt to them.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    working off the same model i have all year 74 points guarantees play offs, 19 points required out of 27 - pretty tough ask.

northampton a - win
    rotherham h - draw
    bristol rovers a - win
    afc wimbledon a - win
    scunthorpe h - lose
    shrewsbury a - lose
    pompey a - draw
    blackburn h - lose
    rochdale a - win

total 14

leaves us on 69 points, which i unfortunately think will just be a little short of play offs.

real shame that KR hadn't fucked off earlier, as sounded like a different side on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

The temptation is to summarise today's performance in five words: The difference a formation makes.

However that does scant justice to Bowyer and Jackson who seem to have had a really positive impact on the motivation and desire of the players in the short time available to them as well as tweaking the formation.

Is the Nicky Ajose we saw today the same player as the stray mascot masquerading in his shirt that we occasionally saw blinking lost in the sunlight under Slade and Robinson? On today's evidence, given some service from both midfield and Zyro, he looked a real threat at times.

Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer had the bit of luck all managers need when Lewis Page's half volley dipped wickedly to beat Matthews in the Plymouth goal rather than continue rising to join Nicky Bailey's penalty in orbit. Lewis' next attempt at goal showed normal service had been resumed. That said note what I wrote to quote Ernie Wise: Lewis' NEXT ATTEMPT AT GOAL. How often could we write such a phrase reviewing a Robinson match throughout most of this season? Lewis Page, a left back, had more attempts on goal than the whole team often managed under Robinson.

Our second goal was a well worked team effort clinically finished with his head by Zyro. Josh Magennis would have loved such service. Zyro though grew into his role as the game progressed and that increasing confidence made him a handful for the Plymouth defence to handle throughout.

Another player who grew into his role today was Anfernee Dijksteel. Much of Plymouth's good stuff in the first half was played down his side including part of the move which culminated in Plymouth striking the woodwork in the first half. However as the game progressed Anfernee used his pace and physique to muscle his opponents off the ball and he became a real asset both in defensively and pushing forward.

This was essentially a team performance so singling out individuals is perhaps not truly representative but Fosu offers such an outlet and probably shades it as man of the match for me.

Negatives, as a Charlton fan there are always negatives, were the perennial Reeves, although I accept he tried without making much impact, and Forster-Caskey's corners which three or four times failed to beat the first defender. The rest of JFC's game was commendably efficient without really being spectacular.

In conclusion a mention for young Taylor Maloney. I noticed him walking off alone after the final whistle looking round after his brief cameo and wondered what he was thinking. Was it am I really here or was it well even though I didn't get a kick whatever else happens the book will say Taylor Maloney 0 (1) or something else?

I'm glad I made the effort today. The play offs may still be a step too far but today I watched a team that wanted to win and compete. That'll do for now.

COYR

Reeves a negative! Wow!!! I knew he would get slated by some on here purely based on previous appearances and not today’s showing. He got stuck in and won more tackles today than in his previous charlton career! He sprayed the ball around nicely and had by far his best league game for us. But let’s knock him just because me need to moan about someone
    I think I must be missing something with Reeves that other people are seeing. His final ball, be it a shot or a pass, always seems inaccurate and gives possession straight back to the opposition not to mention that his decision making - especially choosing to shoot from long range instead of pass to better positioned teammates despite no evidence that he's capable of scoring from that sort of distance - is really poor. He also seems out of position, particularly yesterday as this was probably a new formation to him and he was playing in an unfamiliar role.

Working hard is fine, but if there's no end product it's pointless.

I'm going up to the Northampton match so I'll make an effort to specifically watch him on and off the ball to see if I'm missing something but as of yet I just don't get it and he would be out of my side if/when we play that 4-4-2 again for Marshall.
    I thought it was just me having a problem with Reeves.

In previous matches when tracking players, rather than tackle he looks as though he is being repelled by the player like two North Pole magnets. I am sure he just doesn't want to get hurt.

I was surprised at his change in spirit in the Plymouth game after Robinson's exit, he was actually pulling off a few good passes/challenges.

Originally I regarded him as Robinson's blue-eyed boy having waited for him so long to arrive. However, It would now appear that it was Reeves delaying signing because he couldn't face working with Robinson again and then didn't have any choice.

• Options

working off the same model i have all year 74 points guarantees play offs, 19 points required out of 27 - pretty tough ask.

northampton a - win
    rotherham h - draw
    bristol rovers a - win
    afc wimbledon a - win
    scunthorpe h - lose
    shrewsbury a - lose
    pompey a - draw
    blackburn h - lose
    rochdale a - win

total 14

leaves us on 69 points, which i unfortunately think will just be a little short of play offs.

real shame that KR hadn't fucked off earlier, as sounded like a different side on Saturday.

I'll go with:

Wins (5) - Northampton | Rotherham | Bristol Rovers | Scunthorpe | Rochdale
    Draws (3) - AFC Wimbledon | Shrewsbury Town | Portsmouth
    Defeats (1) - Blackburn
  • Options

This one has become a bit silly - shock horror - house prices are cheaper in Plymouth than London, you can pick virtually every place in Great Britain and say the same!

Prices are cheaper than Central London yes but @Oggy Red is making the point that the differential is not as great as you might think, given the wages differential, between those areas within supposedly (just for you @MrLargo and @cantersaddick ) reasonable travelling distance of Central London and Devon and Cornwall.

As I mentioned above my cursory look on Rightmove suggests that he is right in that thought.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

I do remember another full back, Greg Shields firing in an absolute rocket at the other end - forget who it was against....

Had time to google this and it was on 2nd October 1999 v Birmingham City. A rare occasion when my memory didn’t let me down!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

northampton a - win
    rotherham h - draw
    bristol rovers a - win
    afc wimbledon a - win
    scunthorpe h - lose
    shrewsbury a - lose
    pompey a - draw
    blackburn h - lose
    rochdale a - win

total 14

I'll go with:

Defeats (1) - Blackburn
    I didn't particularly rate Blackburn at Ewood mate in fact they struggled to open us up until Leon Best did it for them. That said, they have pushed on and have some serious momentum now going into the final straight..

With the lift the team got on Saturday under Bowyer's guidance and decent players returning from injury however I wouldn't write us off against anyone at the moment. I'm pleased to say this is a far cry from my views after watching us just go through the motions at Blackpool. COYRs
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

northampton a - win
    rotherham h - draw
    bristol rovers a - win
    afc wimbledon a - win
    scunthorpe h - lose
    shrewsbury a - lose
    pompey a - draw
    blackburn h - lose
    rochdale a - win

total 14

I'll go with:

Defeats (1) - Blackburn
    I didn't particularly rate Blackburn at Ewood mate in fact they struggled to open us up until Leon Best did it for them. That said, they have pushed on and have some serious momentum now going into the final straight..

With the lift the team got on Saturday under Bowyer's guidance and decent players returning from injury however I wouldn't write us off against anyone at the moment. I'm pleased to say this is a far cry from my views after watching us just go through the motions at Blackpool. COYRs
    I did originally put Blackburn as a draw, yet cant see us remaining undefeated for the rest of the season... Probably lose to someone like Wimbledon and maybe Rochdale if we've secured a Play-Off spot and so put out a weakened side
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    'The end of a run. I'd like to be able to say we lost to a better team but we didn't. We were poor all over the pitch'.

Interesting how the author saw the game through green tinted specs. Try a teaspoonful of sugar with those grapes me old Pilgrim :smiley: .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

'The end of a run. I'd like to be able to say we lost to a better team but we didn't. We were poor all over the pitch'.

Interesting how the author saw the game through green tinted specs. Try a teaspoonful of sugar with those grapes me old Pilgrim :smiley: .
    Have to admit that was one of a few who didnt think we were the better side.

The one who thought Bauer should have gone was an idiot, like the fact another Plymouth fan responded to him about their Goalkeeper getting away with the handball without getting a Yellow at least
  • Options
    Can accomplish alot by getting your team to just work hard, even if you are getting outplayed at times, just keeping at a team can earn you a point or even nick a win if you have managed to defend well!

We sounded more industrious but with a much better end product.

Zyro give an interview saying Bowyer changed there mentaility, can imagine KR was acting like a pouty child at times and in the end that will rub off on the players!