Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth post match views 24/3/18

Comments

• Options
    Great day out today having made the trip to Plymouth earlier in the season this was chalk and cheese

We looked committed
    We looked organised
    We had grit and an edge about the tackles
    The team played with freedom. The shackles were gone
    At time we looked skilful or even silky
    We played out of defence intelligently
    Only a few poor misplaced passes
    The early goal helped everyone
    The ref was pretty poor
    The Bowyer effect was obviously there. Compete for everything, play for the shirt, don’t be reckless
  • Options
    Still buzzing here, game ended 1am Perth time, tried to start a moshpit, told to 'mosh off', red eyed this morning on way to work (yeah, on a Sunday...) tried to explain the significance of the result, had to reassure suspecting Aussies no ball tempering was involved.
    I'll have to do something about that moronic grinning...

For me, one lesson:

Try and play great football and we look ...simple...
    Play simple football and we look great.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

The temptation is to summarise today's performance in five words: The difference a formation makes.

However that does scant justice to Bowyer and Jackson who seem to have had a really positive impact on the motivation and desire of the players in the short time available to them as well as tweaking the formation.

Is the Nicky Ajose we saw today the same player as the stray mascot masquerading in his shirt that we occasionally saw blinking lost in the sunlight under Slade and Robinson? On today's evidence, given some service from both midfield and Zyro, he looked a real threat at times.

Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer had the bit of luck all managers need when Lewis Page's half volley dipped wickedly to beat Matthews in the Plymouth goal rather than continue rising to join Nicky Bailey's penalty in orbit. Lewis' next attempt at goal showed normal service had been resumed. That said note what I wrote to quote Ernie Wise: Lewis' NEXT ATTEMPT AT GOAL. How often could we write such a phrase reviewing a Robinson match throughout most of this season? Lewis Page, a left back, had more attempts on goal than the whole team often managed under Robinson.

Our second goal was a well worked team effort clinically finished with his head by Zyro. Josh Magennis would have loved such service. Zyro though grew into his role as the game progressed and that increasing confidence made him a handful for the Plymouth defence to handle throughout.

Another player who grew into his role today was Anfernee Dijksteel. Much of Plymouth's good stuff in the first half was played down his side including part of the move which culminated in Plymouth striking the woodwork in the first half. However as the game progressed Anfernee used his pace and physique to muscle his opponents off the ball and he became a real asset both in defensively and pushing forward.

This was essentially a team performance so singling out individuals is perhaps not truly representative but Fosu offers such an outlet and probably shades it as man of the match for me.

Negatives, as a Charlton fan there are always negatives, were the perennial Reeves, although I accept he tried without making much impact, and Forster-Caskey's corners which three or four times failed to beat the first defender. The rest of JFC's game was commendably efficient without really being spectacular.

In conclusion a mention for young Taylor Maloney. I noticed him walking off alone after the final whistle looking round after his brief cameo and wondered what he was thinking. Was it am I really here or was it well even though I didn't get a kick whatever else happens the book will say Taylor Maloney 0 (1) or something else?

I'm glad I made the effort today. The play offs may still be a step too far but today I watched a team that wanted to win and compete. That'll do for now.

COYR

Reeves a negative! Wow!!! I knew he would get slated by some on here purely based on previous appearances and not today’s showing. He got stuck in and won more tackles today than in his previous charlton career! He sprayed the ball around nicely and had by far his best league game for us. But let’s knock him just because me need to moan about someone
    I must say, I thought his work rate was a key element of the performance.

Agree that Fosu didn't have his best game but was still very influential. I think we have a real gem there.
  • Options
    Robinson did not intentionally get the team underperforming. Today everyone had a different approach. The striking difference was that every player wanted to get the ball forward. There was no tip tapping across the back four and going nowhere.
    Maybe other teams will suss out the tactic of getting the ball forward! But it worked and was great to watch.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

"One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy."

Are you Miserableoldgit in disguise?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

The temptation is to summarise today's performance in five words: The difference a formation makes.

However that does scant justice to Bowyer and Jackson who seem to have had a really positive impact on the motivation and desire of the players in the short time available to them as well as tweaking the formation.

Is the Nicky Ajose we saw today the same player as the stray mascot masquerading in his shirt that we occasionally saw blinking lost in the sunlight under Slade and Robinson? On today's evidence, given some service from both midfield and Zyro, he looked a real threat at times.

Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer had the bit of luck all managers need when Lewis Page's half volley dipped wickedly to beat Matthews in the Plymouth goal rather than continue rising to join Nicky Bailey's penalty in orbit. Lewis' next attempt at goal showed normal service had been resumed. That said note what I wrote to quote Ernie Wise: Lewis' NEXT ATTEMPT AT GOAL. How often could we write such a phrase reviewing a Robinson match throughout most of this season? Lewis Page, a left back, had more attempts on goal than the whole team often managed under Robinson.

Our second goal was a well worked team effort clinically finished with his head by Zyro. Josh Magennis would have loved such service. Zyro though grew into his role as the game progressed and that increasing confidence made him a handful for the Plymouth defence to handle throughout.

Another player who grew into his role today was Anfernee Dijksteel. Much of Plymouth's good stuff in the first half was played down his side including part of the move which culminated in Plymouth striking the woodwork in the first half. However as the game progressed Anfernee used his pace and physique to muscle his opponents off the ball and he became a real asset both in defensively and pushing forward.

This was essentially a team performance so singling out individuals is perhaps not truly representative but Fosu offers such an outlet and probably shades it as man of the match for me.

Negatives, as a Charlton fan there are always negatives, were the perennial Reeves, although I accept he tried without making much impact, and Forster-Caskey's corners which three or four times failed to beat the first defender. The rest of JFC's game was commendably efficient without really being spectacular.

In conclusion a mention for young Taylor Maloney. I noticed him walking off alone after the final whistle looking round after his brief cameo and wondered what he was thinking. Was it am I really here or was it well even though I didn't get a kick whatever else happens the book will say Taylor Maloney 0 (1) or something else?

I'm glad I made the effort today. The play offs may still be a step too far but today I watched a team that wanted to win and compete. That'll do for now.

COYR

Like your mention to Maloney as thought the same... Excellent (yet brave) touch from Bowyer to put him on at the death

Great bit of experience for him to feel that positive buzz from the crowd
    Valley Gold’s finest hour - one product of the youth set up managing the team and giving a debut to another.
    Do you think we were lucky enough to have seen a premiership star of the future?
  • Options

I think the ref got the handball correct. The keeper made an error catching the ball, instinctively tried to re-catch it and lost sight of where he was on the pitch. Be very cruel to call it malicious.

I think we were reminded of Hamer's red against Orient. You have to decide on intent I suppose. Some refs would have sent him off, but probably one of the few decisions the ref got right today!
    It should not have been a red but a yellow would not have been untoward. Then add another yellow for him then kicking the ball halfway down the pitch..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

"One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy."

Are you Miserableoldgit in disguise?
    Nope just being cautious.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

COYR

Reeves a negative! Wow!!! I knew he would get slated by some on here purely based on previous appearances and not today’s showing. He got stuck in and won more tackles today than in his previous charlton career! He sprayed the ball around nicely and had by far his best league game for us. But let’s knock him just because me need to moan about someone
    I think I must be missing something with Reeves that other people are seeing. His final ball, be it a shot or a pass, always seems inaccurate and gives possession straight back to the opposition not to mention that his decision making - especially choosing to shoot from long range instead of pass to better positioned teammates despite no evidence that he's capable of scoring from that sort of distance - is really poor. He also seems out of position, particularly yesterday as this was probably a new formation to him and he was playing in an unfamiliar role.

Working hard is fine, but if there's no end product it's pointless.

I'm going up to the Northampton match so I'll make an effort to specifically watch him on and off the ball to see if I'm missing something but as of yet I just don't get it and he would be out of my side if/when we play that 4-4-2 again for Marshall.
  • Options
    I've woken up feeling positive about Charlton again.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Laudate Dominum,
    laudate Dominum
    omnes gentes! alleluia!

We use to play Dominoes under Don Karlo.

Yesterday we switched to that other game...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    What a pleasure to see every player, at the top of his game.
    What a pleasure to read the thoughts of CL on the best home game for years.
    What a pleasure to be at the valley when 99% of the home crowd supported each and every player.

Amos: the catalyst save, Dijkstreel strong tackles, Pearce smashing into tackles, Bauer immense, Page lasting 90 mins and scoring a wonder goal, Reeves linking play, JFC reminding us he played games for England U21, Aribo sheer talent on the ball, Fosu taking on defenders, Ajosie so unlucky not to score but great movement, Zyro still not 100% fit but led the line with skill and scored 1 and nearly had the treble.

Lee Bowyer the wild child, crazy youth, supremely talented footballer, has manifested before our eyes into a man who was calm, sure and totally confident in every smart step to that managers position in the technical area.

As we are Charlton, the takeover may mean Lee position is short lived. Let's hope the new custodians are discerning enough to see this.
    Lee thought on his feet with JJ help, But LB was boss. Bottle what we had yesterday and allow the genie 10 games.
    The pleasure was all mine.
  • Options
    great game, everything was better than last week - felt like a proper football match and came out feeling alive rather than drained -
    the holding role suits jfc and proves to me its more important that player is comfortable on the ball rather than a tackler / defensive player - diksteel had a brilliant second half, humiliating any body who tried attacking down his side - pearce and bower bullied there forward but the biggest plus was zyro - finally, a proper centre forward and he lasted a full game - he is going to be key now - keep him fit and we have, including mavididi, ajose , kaikai and fosu, plenty who can play off him - early days but just like bowyer's debut as a player - immediate impact, aggressive and a winner - going northhampton now, wasn't even considering it before the game
  • Options
    edited March 2018

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

COYR

Like your mention to Maloney as thought the same... Excellent (yet brave) touch from Bowyer to put him on at the death

Great bit of experience for him to feel that positive buzz from the crowd
    Valley Gold’s finest hour - one product of the youth set up managing the team and giving a debut to another.
    Do you think we were lucky enough to have seen a premiership star of the future?
    I think we were lucky enough to see a premiership club of the future...

And it wasn’t Plymouth
  • Options

I know lots of people were concerned about Bow's behaviour when he was very young but he was always a superb footballer and I will never forget how he beat Wimbledon over two-legs in the league cup as a teenager on his own.
    I hope that he is given a chance as he has played at the highest level under the best coaches including Curbs.

Bowyer hasn't got the necessary badges/qualifications to become the full time manager. He can cover it on a temporary basis.
    There is nothing to stop him getting them, I believe there is a period of grace allowed.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I’m hoping that everyone who wasn’t fit/available for yesterday won’t just walk back into the team. Ajose and Zyro worked really well and Magennis should not be picked for Northampton. When Kashi is fit i think a midfield partnership of Aribo and JFC should still be what Bowyer starts with, JFC’s best performances this season have been without Kashi, he forces us too deep. And Djiksteel i think would be better suited to CM than RB and he could also give Kashi some competition. As much as I agree that Dasilva has been one of our best players this season, Page is definitely better defensively and we have enough attacking outlets in the side already. The only change I would make to yesterday’s starting 11 is bring in Mavididi (when he’s fit) in place of Reeves, I don’t really see what he brings to the side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can’t remember ever enjoying the opening 20 minutes of a match so much and it’s been quite a long time since I left the valley feeling so good about what I just witnessed.

My (normally very optimistic) boy had us to lose 3-0 and if I’m honest, I was fearful of a very bad day at the office. How wrong thank god were we !!???!!

From the minute we walked in, the atmosphere felt different. The East stand seemed quite a bit busier and it was great to hear our fans get behind a team that richly deserved our praise.

And what a difference on the park?

The fullbacks were both outstanding, they all looked so hungry. JFC bossed it and the front two caused problems from the get go.

It’s of course only one game and a steep incline lies ahead but as has been said previously, KRs absence looked and felt like a massive release for both fans and players. It seemed apparent to me that KR had lost the head some time ago and I’m sure the players like many of us must have been glad to no longer endure his inane shite talking, rigidity of thought and propensity to seek culpability elsewhere.

It’s interesting to read that Bowyer has emphasised his desire to explore different formations in order to get the points. Was this a wee swipe at his former gaffer or merely an indication of his desire to do whatever it takes to get us over the playoff line?

One game at a time and even if we don’t make the playoffs but play with that desire every week, then I’ll be content.
  • Options
    For the next game, I'd be tempted to bring Konsa in for Reeves but otherwise change nothing
  • Options
    Thought we would get spanked yesterday.Thought Bowyer as manager was a bad idea.

Mind you, I remember being underwhelmed when Lennie was replaced by Curbs/Gritt. I was wrong then, and wrong again yesterday.

Now for some consistency - wins over Easter, it all looks very different.
  • Options
    worst fans we'very had at the Valley for a while . Shame they didn't have much to sing about .
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

se9addick said:

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

COYR

I think I must be missing something with Reeves that other people are seeing. His final ball, be it a shot or a pass, always seems inaccurate and gives possession straight back to the opposition not to mention that his decision making - especially choosing to shoot from long range instead of pass to better positioned teammates despite no evidence that he's capable of scoring from that sort of distance - is really poor. He also seems out of position, particularly yesterday as this was probably a new formation to him and he was playing in an unfamiliar role.

I'm going up to the Northampton match so I'll make an effort to specifically watch him on and off the ball to see if I'm missing something but as of yet I just don't get it and he would be out of my side if/when we play that 4-4-2 again for Marshall.
    I appreciate it’s a matter of opinion but give Reeves a break! Some of our lot baffle me at times! How could you not see a totally different player yesterday? His work rate chasing balls down, putting his foot in (which he never did previously) and switching the ball to stretch the opposition was excellent! Yes he misplaced some passes and shot when he shouldn’t have but so does Fosu! I for one certainly hope he starts again next week!
    Not sure you really do appreciate that it's a matter of opinion.

Your argument that Reeves was better yesterday than he has been the rest of the season doesn't stand up to scrutiny since you're setting him an astonishingly low benchmark to perform against.

I hope he starts on Friday, as I said I'm going up and will try and see what others are seeing in him because I genuinely want to buy into the hype.
  • Options

I am bringing both little ones on Easter Monday that’s how different it felt too me , with Bowyer and Jackson at the helm the style of football the togetherness of the play the solidarity that was cemented between fans and players it was like I was back in the mid 90s when the only thing I cared about was matchday

I would give my left bollock to charity for my kids to experience how good following Charlton was back then

We had a team of Bowyers out there yesterday and bar jonjo the best teenager I ever saw play for us was Bow

He was the talk of the coaches on rte to away games before during and after the match

If he can go over the next half dozen games with that cohesive feel I agree with him we are in the playoffs and I will say we would win them

It’s great to read this and other posts like this. Everyone game away from the game happy because they put a shift in and had a go. That’s all I want. To have a go. We might not be the best team in the division, but the minimum basic requirement is you play to win, because we’re in a league where anyone can beat anyone. If we’re playing Man City at home I can forgive a more defensive approach and 1 up top, but we’re not. POSITIVITY is the key on the pitch
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    se9addick said:

cafc_se7 said:

se9addick said:

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

COYR

I appreciate it’s a matter of opinion but give Reeves a break! Some of our lot baffle me at times! How could you not see a totally different player yesterday? His work rate chasing balls down, putting his foot in (which he never did previously) and switching the ball to stretch the opposition was excellent! Yes he misplaced some passes and shot when he shouldn’t have but so does Fosu! I for one certainly hope he starts again next week!
    Not sure you really do appreciate that it's a matter of opinion.

Your argument that Reeves was better yesterday than he has been the rest of the season doesn't stand up to scrutiny since you're setting him an astonishingly low benchmark to perform against.

I hope he starts on Friday, as I said I'm going up and will try and see what others are seeing in him because I genuinely want to buy into the hype.
    Reeves has never imo been terrible, he's been poor. But he'd shown signs of improvement in the two games before Plymouth, and yesterday he showed why he's been highly rated in the past. He'd be an annoying player to play against, playing like that, and i can see his improvement continuing.

Reeves' competition is Clarke or Marshall, not Konsa. I'd say Fosu's competition is Mavididi.

At the moment Ajose and Zyro must be first choice up front, mustn't they?