Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth post match views 24/3/18

Comments

• Options

What to add to the above? Just that everybody seemed to know what their job was and did it, every minute. Including Naby Sarr when he came on. And so many 50:50s won. Plymouth bullied out of it at times, and that's something I never expected to write this season.

If all the rumours are true the new Aussie owners have a huge call to make, even before they officially take over. Why would you bring in Kewell now, after that?

Because Crawley scored three at home today...............Bowyer out!!!
    Crawley no win in 5. Do we really want Kuell just cos he is an Aussie?

I was travelling back from Pershore today and passed through Evesham the historic river market town... I can confirm that I am not surprised by the improper spelling on this occasion.

I would also agree I don't want Kewell Kwell or Kuell any where near us.

That KAG kid can sign up straight away though.
  • Options
    Great to see the boys get a win roll on Friday.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

What to add to the above? Just that everybody seemed to know what their job was and did it, every minute. Including Naby Sarr when he came on. And so many 50:50s won. Plymouth bullied out of it at times, and that's something I never expected to write this season.

If all the rumours are true the new Aussie owners have a huge call to make, even before they officially take over. Why would you bring in Kewell now, after that?

Because Crawley scored three at home today...............Bowyer out!!!
    Crawley no win in 5. Do we really want Kuell just cos he is an Aussie?

I was travelling back from Pershore today and passed through Evesham the historic river market town... I can confirm that I am not surprised by the improper spelling on this occasion.

I would also agree I don't want Kewell Kwell or Kuell any where near us.

That KAG kid can sign up straight away though.
    Yes, letting in 5 goals at home (to a team below them in the league) is pretty poor really
  • Options
    I think the ref got the handball correct. The keeper made an error catching the ball, instinctively tried to re-catch it and lost sight of where he was on the pitch. Be very cruel to call it malicious.
  • Options

Anyone else wonder if Page would limp off injured after that wonder strike?

Come on he is no Riccardo Fuller

https://youtu.be/-VugelQG06c
  • Options

I have never seen anything like the decision the ref made giving them a free kick in the first half. Their 19 who was as dirty as they come went into Bauer who was looking up at the ball to make a header and the ref gave them a free kick. Now I know he wasn't a cheat, but what must go on in his head to be so clueless. The 19's arms were all over the place - he never went for the ball but played the man every time and the only free kick against him was when the lino gave it when it was right in front of him. Not material to the game, but you can't reward donkeys over skill - too many League One refs need to look at themselves! Rant over!

I don't know if someone had a word with him at half time (or threatened to give him a rectal prostate examination!) but he improved in the second half, giving Plymouth far fewer free kicks for nothing challenges.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think the ref got the handball correct. The keeper made an error catching the ball, instinctively tried to re-catch it and lost sight of where he was on the pitch. Be very cruel to call it malicious.

I think we were reminded of Hamer's red against Orient. You have to decide on intent I suppose. Some refs would have sent him off, but probably one of the few decisions the ref got right today!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I have never seen anything like the decision the ref made giving them a free kick in the first half. Their 19 who was as dirty as they come went into Bauer who was looking up at the ball to make a header and the ref gave them a free kick. Now I know he wasn't a cheat, but what must go on in his head to be so clueless. The 19's arms were all over the place - he never went for the ball but played the man every time and the only free kick against him was when the lino gave it when it was right in front of him. Not material to the game, but you can't reward donkeys over skill - too many League One refs need to look at themselves! Rant over!

I wouldn't say the ref was a cheat, but I think most Charlton fans would agree, that they got the benefit of the questionable decisions.
    Specifically, he appeared to be completely bias in their favour.
    I don't say that lightly, but I can't remember such a one sided referee for many a year.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    It was Ben Hamer @golfaddick who was sent off at Orient and this was Chris Powell's post match view on it;

"First of all it was a bad decision by my keeper, but is it a goal scoring opportunity? I don't think so.

IIRC Hamer was more central and one on one but Argyle's keeper was to the right hand side of the 18 yard box close to the line with two defenders goal side of him. Now I'm not defending the ref who apparently had a stinker but it's all down to interpretation and the two situations were not the same for comparison purposes. The Orient sending off was more justifiable than showing a card (red or yellow) for todays incident IMO.
  • Options
    I know lots of people were concerned about Bow's behaviour when he was very young but he was always a superb footballer and I will never forget how he beat Wimbledon over two-legs in the league cup as a teenager on his own.
    I hope that he is given a chance as he has played at the highest level under the best coaches including Curbs.
  • Options
    I didn’t go to today’s game, so it’s great to read these comments, well done Lee and Jacko, 6 more wins please!
  • Options
    I said he got the decision not to send their keeper off right! But I only respect the good ones. Hated them when I played but I do give credit when deserved. you just defend refs because they are refs.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I think we were reminded of Hamer's red against Orient. You have to decide on intent I suppose. Some refs would have sent him off, but probably one of the few decisions the ref got right today!
    NO referee would have sent the keeper off The law is clear - it has to be (and I quote) an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity.

Please consider whether you should be giving an opinion on a subject you are clueless about - embarrassing.

Clearly no respect for referees - rant over.
    Bit ott, there was no malice from him towards referees in that post.
  • Options
    (Joke)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He knows I hate them! :) My son is a qualified ref too. I can tell some tales that justify my position from my playing days. But I do believe refs at lower levels allow teams to stifle football more than they do at higher levels.

Strangely an example I would give is about Plymouth. A few years back they set out to kick us off the park and the ref let them and it ended up finishing Todorov's career.

I recall a game I played in where I did foul the opponent a few times and got a yellow card and talking too which was fair, then this player tried to break my leg - broke my shin pad - and the ref let him get away with it. Probably because I had fouled him earlier - my fouls were not dangerous more small and persistant!
  • Options
    Watching the highlights, the biggest thing that stands out is the tempo in attack, moving the ball much more quickly and subsequently getting more space and clear sights of goal. That was always the thing that needed to be changed the most, even more than the formation, even if that change probably helped.

Hopefully the fact Plymouth will have been preparing all week to face a short passing 4231 wasn't the decisive factor.

Could climb to fifth once all the games in hand have been played, let's hope today is a sign of how we will finish the season and not a flash in the pan. Hopefully Bowyer will be given at least a couple more games to show what he can do.
  • Options

Watching the highlights, the biggest thing that stands out is the tempo in attack, moving the ball much more quickly and subsequently getting more space and clear sights of goal. That was always the thing that needed to be changed the most, even more than the formation, even if that change probably helped.

Hopefully the fact Plymouth will have been preparing all week to face a short passing 4231 wasn't the decisive factor.

Could climb to fifth once all the games in hand have been played, let's hope today is a sign of how we will finish the season and not a flash in the pan. Hopefully Bowyer will be given at least a couple more games to show what he can do.

I think you are right, faster, more risks taken in attack, more direct.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

PeterGage said:

NO referee would have sent the keeper off The law is clear - it has to be (and I quote) an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity.

Please consider whether you should be giving an opinion on a subject you are clueless about - embarrassing.

Clearly no respect for referees - rant over.
    Bit ott, there was no malice from him towards referees in that post.
    Not OTT - he has form.

There was clearly no red card offence so why be so controversial?

It can be argued that it could have been a yellow; however the counter argument for no card is that the keeper slipped (watch his feet) and his reaction was instinctive. Opinions, opinions.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Lets call a truce - I hate refs - I manage a team and I always tell my players to respect the ref. My son is a ref - but I think there are some terrible ones - fair play to you for defending them - they have always been my enemy but without refs we wouldn't have a game! If today's one packed it in the game wouldn't be poorer for it though! Sorry, I can't write a para about refs without slagging them off - it is in my DNA.

My son plays which I think makes him a better ref. But that is for another thread.

What I don't understand is that I said that the ref got that decision right!
  • Options

Lets call a truce - I hate refs - I manage a team and I always tell my players to respect the ref. My son is a ref - but I think there are some terrible ones - fair play to you for defending them - they have always been my enemy but without refs we wouldn't have a game! If today's one packed it in the game wouldn't be poorer for it though! Sorry, I can't write a para about refs without slagging them off - it is in my DNA.

My son plays which I think makes him a better ref. But that is for another thread.

A truce is fine - til next time
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

A truce is fine - til next time
    It missed my smiley thingy
  • Options

I know lots of people were concerned about Bow's behaviour when he was very young but he was always a superb footballer and I will never forget how he beat Wimbledon over two-legs in the league cup as a teenager on his own.
    I hope that he is given a chance as he has played at the highest level under the best coaches including Curbs.

Bowyer hasn't got the necessary badges/qualifications to become the full time manager. He can cover it on a temporary basis.