Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth post match views 24/3/18

Comments

• Options
    Presumably they could be rushed through if needed over the summer. If say we gained promotion, which when you look at the table doesn't look impossible - Scunthorpe are in sight in 5th too - I would imagine a desire to give him the job.

Lots of water to flow under the bridge first of course.
  • Options

I know lots of people were concerned about Bow's behaviour when he was very young but he was always a superb footballer and I will never forget how he beat Wimbledon over two-legs in the league cup as a teenager on his own.
    I hope that he is given a chance as he has played at the highest level under the best coaches including Curbs.

Bowyer hasn't got the necessary badges/qualifications to become the full time manager. He can cover it on a temporary basis.
    Can he just be permanent caretaker? A bit like old Karel.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Lets call a truce - I hate refs - I manage a team and I always tell my players to respect the ref. My son is a ref - but I think there are some terrible ones - fair play to you for defending them - they have always been my enemy but without refs we wouldn't have a game! If today's one packed it in the game wouldn't be poorer for it though! Sorry, I can't write a para about refs without slagging them off - it is in my DNA.

My son plays which I think makes him a better ref. But that is for another thread.

A truce is fine - til next time
    It missed my smiley thingy
    Hi MuttleyCAFC. APOLOGIES for my rant. I admit I am very defensive of referees having experienced the situation at a senior level

Referees are very professional and very enthusiastic at the highest level; but they are human and thus are liable to make mistakes. Then there is the case that some decisions are a matter of opinion, then there is the natural bias as a supporter towards our team. Put all that in a melting pit and you get some skewered opinions on referees ability or performance.

One other example: in a thread on the match report today somebody said the referee was looking to send off Bauer. I could not go to any sporting event if I thought that an outside agent (the referee in this case) is looking to influence the result of the game by virtue of his actions. It is tantramount to match fixing or taking performance improving drugs.

I will try to temper my comnents in future.
  • Options
    No problem. I don't think it is fair to say the ref was looking to send off Bauer but like any occupation, some are better than others.

Of course there is bias, but it is telling sometimes when the ref gets criticised when you win. Did you see the foul against Bauer when he gave them a free kick? I am still trying to work out how any professional could get a decision so wrong. Bauer stood his ground and was focusing on a headed clearance looking upwards at the ball. Their no 19 went into him and got a foul in a dangerous position. Those sort of decisions can cost you and shouldn't happen IMO.

There are good refs who make mistakes as do everybody else. But their no19's antics should have been managed by the ref. That is why I think refs have an advantage if they played the game - If you have played to any decent level you spot what he was about! If you don't you miss it.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Good win, but I remain suspicious (and don’t want to celebrate too early) that a takeover is still sometime away!

Not ITK but would be very charlton!

Why suspicious?

The gaffer and his assistant picked the right team, the right tactical formation and the ‘don’t feck with me’ attitude so what’s the relevance of whether the takeover takes place on Monday or in May?

Penny to a pound that Curbs will be our new Director of Football - what’s there not to like about that??

• Options
    I think we need the takeover this week to give us the momentum we need.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Brilliant! Well Bow and Jacko ! 442 that's the Charlton way ,Bowyer kbows it Robinson didnt!

Not what the gaffer said!

He will pick a team/formation that will offer the best chance of being successful so 4-4-2 (in a diamond?) may have worked today but next Friday is another day, another game.

But I agree that we will not be slaves to 4-2-3-1. ;-))
  • Options

No problem. I don't think it is fair to say the ref was looking to send off Bauer but like any occupation, some are better than others.

Of course there is bias, but it is telling sometimes when the ref gets criticised when you win. Did you see the foul against Bauer when he gave them a free kick? I am still trying to work out how any professional could get a decision so wrong. Bauer stood his ground and was focusing on a headed clearance looking upwards at the ball. Their no 19 went into him and got a foul in a dangerous position. Those sort of decisions can cost you and shouldn't happen IMO.

There are good refs who make mistakes as do everybody else. But their no19's antics should have been managed by the ref. That is why I think refs have an advantage if they played the game - If you have played to any decent level you spot what he was about! If you don't you miss it.

Re your last paragraph. There was a scheme some years back to fast track ex players into professional referees. It didnt work.

It didnt work imo because the key skills set of a referee is that of man management, necessary in a highly charged environment.

I can understand the view that it can be beneficial if a ref has played the game but not (again IMO) a pre-requisite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018

Re your last paragraph. There was a scheme some years back to fast track ex players into professional referees. It didnt work.

It didnt work imo because the key skills set of a referee is that of man management, necessary in a highly charged environment. The skill set of a player is entirely different.

I can understand the view that it can be beneficial if a ref has played the game but not (again IMO) a pre-requisite of refereeing.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    There are always those refs who haven't played that are good, but I do think some refs that haven't played don't understand all that goes on. The 19 today wasn't looking at the ball for most of the match, he was playing the man.
  • Options
    Just arrived back in Norfolk cock a hoop or something like that.
    The best performance for a very long time.
    Aggression, passion and plenty of determination.
    Interestingly talking to some Plymouth supporters after the game, they thought Ajose was our best player, not sure I agree but he certainly was a revelation compared to his previous outings.
    Its difficult to pick our M.O.M with so many good performances but Jason Pearce and Patrick Bauer were both immense with their defending.
  • Options

Is that a dig at Robbo? Would be a fair one IMO if it is.
    Not necessarily.

Maybe just a statement of his philosophy bearing in mind that Robbo was part of the decision to give Bow his opportunity. Don’t bite the hand that fed/feeds you?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I think the ref got the handball correct. The keeper made an error catching the ball, instinctively tried to re-catch it and lost sight of where he was on the pitch. Be very cruel to call it malicious.

I think we were reminded of Hamer's red against Orient. You have to decide on intent I suppose. Some refs would have sent him off, but probably one of the few decisions the ref got right today!
    NO referee would have sent the keeper off The law is clear - it has to be (and I quote) an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity.

Please consider whether you should be giving an opinion on a subject you are clueless about - embarrassing.

Clearly no respect for referees - rant over.
    Clearly not a goal scoring opportunity but should he not have been booked?
  • Options
    Well it is a philosophy Robbo could learn from.
  • Options

Well it is a philosophy Robbo could learn from.

Absolutely as one size doesn’t ‘Fitz Hall’ ;-)
  • Options

PeterGage said:

I think the ref got the handball correct. The keeper made an error catching the ball, instinctively tried to re-catch it and lost sight of where he was on the pitch. Be very cruel to call it malicious.

I think we were reminded of Hamer's red against Orient. You have to decide on intent I suppose. Some refs would have sent him off, but probably one of the few decisions the ref got right today!
    NO referee would have sent the keeper off The law is clear - it has to be (and I quote) an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity.

Please consider whether you should be giving an opinion on a subject you are clueless about - embarrassing.

I explained this on the match report

Free Kick
    Once the referee decides that the goalie has illegally handled the ball outside the box, the whistle blows and play stops. The referee places the ball at the spot of the infraction. When play resumes, the opposing team receives a direct free kick at the goal.

Discipline
    A goalie who commits a violation outside the box typically will only risk receiving a card or being sent off the pitch if the handling was clearly committed to prevent an impending goal from going into the net.

No threat of the goal from where he handled the ball in the refs opinion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

PeterGage said:

I explained this on the match report

Free Kick
    Once the referee decides that the goalie has illegally handled the ball outside the box, the whistle blows and play stops. The referee places the ball at the spot of the infraction. When play resumes, the opposing team receives a direct free kick at the goal.

Discipline
    A goalie who commits a violation outside the box typically will only risk receiving a card or being sent off the pitch if the handling was clearly committed to prevent an impending goal from going into the net.

No threat of the goal from where he handled the ball in the refs opinion
    Ok thanks. Having said that, I thought Bauer could have got a red when he was booked.

• Options
    edited March 2018

I thought Plymouth were a good team, worked hard, physical and tried to pass the ball.

Their good run clearly not a fluke.

And we outplayed them in every part of the pitch all game.

That's how good, and how much better we were.

442 is not better than 4231 but it doesn't rely on one player playing well.

442 suits our squad and this league.

All the players did well. Reeves had his best game for us, Page solid as were the BFG and Pearce.

Dijksteel couldn't get a game before. Should have replaced Kashi.

JFC my motm.

Fosu tried a lot that didn't come off and maybe wasn't at his best but he kept going and should have had a pen at the end.

The second half wasn't as entertaining but we were in total control and didn't give them a sniff.

Agression, energy, teamwork and great finishes plus a clean sheet.

That we do me.

Poor ref.

So I thought Plymouth looked a tidy footballing side, but they made the mistake of letting us play. They were the first to show that you can sit deep and we'll struggle to break you down, and then you can hit us on the counter. I was really surprised at how open the game was. Bowyer got his tactics bang on, they didn't. That feels weird.

That said, with the movement and interchange and pace of our passing today I would have fancied us to break down a stubborn side.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Thank God for the NI international.
    Magennis should not be anywhere near this team at the moment imo. Needs to fight his way back into it. I’m hoping that Zyro/Ajose takes off now. Very promising by all accounts today.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

About bloody time we saw a proper Charlton performance. Reminded of the time when a 18 /19 year old Bowyer was scoring goals for fun in the 95/96 season when everyone in that side gave 100% and could not give anymore.

Pearce was like Webster. Aribo like Mortimer. Ajose was Whyte. Zyro like Leaburn. You get where I'm coming from.

If we played like that with 2 up front then we would be top 2 by now, but only one idiot thought that his formation would work.

A long way to go but a play off spot is possible under Bow and Jacko. Plus we have Mavididi, Magennis, Da Silva and Konsa available soon.

Who was like Paul sturgess?