Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth post match views 24/3/18

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:

Scoham said:

Sage said:

stonemuse said:

Sage said:

One little tactical aspect of the game that we introduced with Bowyer that I was impressed with, was that when we were defending, Ajose and Zyro split and sat closer to the Plymouth full backs, Fosu then sat on their holding midfielder.

This was all from Bowyer telling them exactly when and where to be. What this done tactically was stop their full backs pushing on as far and stopped their holding midfielder get any kind of control.

This little change meant they were very cautious of us on the counter attack which at times when we got through, we could’ve scored more.

Just something I don’t think Robinson would’ve done personally or even thought of. It really made a difference to us in our approach both defensively, and counter attacking too.

Insightful observation
    Thank you. We all see the game played in different ways, - just as a coach myself, I find myself subconsciously analysing throughout.

This was just one of a few that really stuck out, but personally I think made a big difference to our performance that others may not have saw.
    Did you spot similar things during Robinson's time? I got the impression with him that he was focussed on playing his system. It was about making it work with whatever players he had. The idea that we would make the opposition worry about us rather than adapt to them.
    I have in the past but nothing quite so well as Bowyer’s tactical change for Saturday.

Robinson’s style and formation got stale and predictable because you’re right, he is too stubborn to change it. It’s a great shame because I know for a fact he puts so much attention to detail into things that he ends up wasting it by not being proactive, inventive and adaptable to the opposition.

Instead it was how can we impose our system and style onto them. When really, what good managers do is assess the opposition of what threats they can bring and what is best for us to counter those threats. Then once we have nullified the opposition, we are able to impose our game onto them, but mixing it up a little according to the team we are against.

For example, Bowyer’s change that I mentioned allowed us to be more direct at time, we got in behind their defence more than we have against any other team all season. In the first minute we done it and Zyro nearly scored.

Robinson’s little changes were always to have a fluid 3 behind the one up top, making them hard to mark, track and defend against. In the end though, we didn’t get the ball to them enough, or quickly enough to be threatening. That slow possession football allowed the opposition to regroup and double up on the wide midfielders already, then once we did get it out wide, we had to go back again because there was no way in.

What Robinson ended up doing was pushing Magennis - who was meant to be occupying the two centre backs - out wide to stop one of the fulls backs pushing on, often the right back, this was then to allow our left midfielder, Fosu, or Holmes back at the start, to drift inside and we have a double up situation with one of them and originally Clarke as the number 10. From here we would have done one of three things:
    1) Fosu or Holmes having a shot outside the box.
    2) Playing little intricate passes to get in behind, this worked well with Clarke.
    3) Spreading the ball wide to Marshall to cross with Magennis making the run from the back post/full back into the centre back position.

This worked well for a handful of games until teams worked us out and soon doubled up on Magennis originally. A smarter manager than Robinson would’ve seen this happen and try something different. But he didn’t.

Now I am very excited and interested to see other little tactical changes and adaptations that Bowyer puts in.

Football is often differentiated between fine margins, and it’s little but key changes to an approach that can be what makes that difference.

Bowyer, Jackson, and the players who perfected it deserve credit. And for that, we picked up a great win and look in a much more competitive position.
    I totally agree, but I think his ego then became the issue in that if he did what everybody was telling him he needed to do it would make him look bad,especially if it worked. So instead he tried to make his system that was sussed out by opponents work! Which largely he couldn't.
  • Options
    I wish Robbo and Oxford the very best of luck on Friday.

SCP could also do us a favour as they are away at Plymouth!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I can see SC's team doing it but I wouldn't be surprised if KR lost on purpose, just to spite Bowyer.
  • Options
    Only thing that lets this down is that Zyro doesn't leather into the net in celebration, that weird dink he does is kind of unsatisfying. Great hit from Page though. Doubt we'll see him doing it again - suspect it will be like Solly's screamer at Blackpool a few years back, but it'll make the highlights real when they release the DVD telling the story of how Lee Bowyer took us from League 1 to a Champions League win.
  • Options

Gammon said:

One of the things that most impressed me was how much bauer and Pearce celebrated with each after the final whistle. They knew they did a fantastic job and was great to see them come together and celebrate the ckean sheet as a defensive partnership.

Pearce will give away fouls and the odd booking with his whole hearted and rugged approach, but it was noticeable that he was much sharper on Saturday and his timing better than his previous games after the long injury break. The partnership with Bauer looks promising, though I find it puzzling why Amos would so often pass the ball out to Pearce rather than one of our better passers!
    A lot of our attacking play begins down the left-hand side (always has done I've found)

So guess it was passed out to Pearce so the ball could then go out to Lewis Page?
    Aribo - left footed
    Reeves - left footed
    JFC - left footed

No great surprise, is it?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Only thing that lets this down is that Zyro doesn't leather into the net in celebration, that weird dink he does is kind of unsatisfying. Great hit from Page though. Doubt we'll see him doing it again - suspect it will be like Solly's screamer at Blackpool a few years back, but it'll make the highlights real when they release the DVD telling the story of how Lee Bowyer took us from League 1 to a Champions League win.
    I wish the rest of the team wouldn't all jump on Page...

Let him run off the pitch, and hide in a room made of cotton wool until the next game...
  • Options
    Was beating Plymouth the first match of 8 wins on the spin without conceding - plus a 0-0 draw away in our final match?

#havewedonethisbefore
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WELL DONE LEE and JACKO,a fantastic TEAM performance, 100% given for 90 minutes plus, and out played Plymouth.
    i never saw such a positive 100% effort ever under KR.

it was also not surprising to hear KR, saying how well OXFORD played against PORTSMOUTH, after missing a penalty and losing 3-0.
    and all those missed chances, etc etc etc................BULLSHIT !!

WELL DONE CHARLTON, you can make the playoffs under our new improved Management !!
  • Options

Redrobo said:

I can see SC's team doing it but I wouldn't be surprised if KR lost on purpose, just to spite Bowyer.
    Lets not forget Thursday night first. Blackburn at home to Bradford. If Bradford win they go above us.
  • Options
    Yes, I can't see it though.
  • Options

No one was poor yesterday

Except the ref and RD

I don't think Robinson came out of it looking too good either.
  • Options

Amos: one really good save at 1 nil, otherwise largely untroubled
    Dijksteel: remarkably good especially with no cover whatsoever, few stray passes
    Pearce: back to something like himself
    Bauer: decent, his booking was a farce
    Page: unrecognisable, is this the real Lewis Page? shattered by 65 minutes but that's forgivable
    Forster-Caskey: midfield general, very vocal
    Reeves: shameful first half, hiding, giving nothing fortunate to appear 2nd half, then he sort of joined in
    Aribo: quiet and subdued, some nice touched when dragged into game by his colleagues
    Fosu: very patchy, pace troubled pilgrims but decision making was dreadful and he baled out after 60 minutes
    Ajose: unlucky not to score, industrious valuable link for midfield to Zyro
    Zyro: not sure he's fully fit yet but he made good use of the service and showed willing

Bowyer: Inexperience? What inexperience? He made best use of the resources available to him, took chances with the fullbacks (that paid off), knowing he didn't have out and out wingers, played a narrower midfield; had a couple of attack minded players so set out with 2 up top and, crucially, had others joining - never under the fat scouse gobshite were so many Charlton players in the box in open play - go figure Karlo.

More please.

Busby the referee: one of the most farcically corrupt performances by a black clad onanist we've seen in years, Bauer got booked for the ginger pilgrim front man diving over Bauer's leg that wasn't there; said ginger striker clattered around arms and elbows up like some copper topped battering ram without once conceding a free-kick; Argyle goalie handled the ball out of the area without sanction; Reeves was booked for one minor indiscretion but Busby pointed all around the field as if he'd been clattering all sorts - as if!! the workshy midget hadn't been involved up to that point.
    I'm not sure the arrogant short-arse wankstain will pay any attention but he should know for sure that he stank the place up cos the home fans, high on a 2 goal lead/victory, gave him dog's abuse at half and fulltime. Pricks like him give, even 3rd division, referees a bad name.

The ref had just called over and spoken to Pearce. The following is supposition but would make sense given that chat with Pearce. The chat would be about the bad tackles going in all around the pitch with a warning the next similar foul would get a yellow card. Hence the gesticulating when booking Reeves.
  • Options
    People seem to have a real issue with Reeves, he was involved all game. Sure he put in a few wayward passes, that was about his worst crime.
  • Options

Dijksteel: remarkably good especially with no cover whatsoever, few stray passes
    Page: unrecognisable, is this the real Lewis Page? shattered by 65 minutes but that's forgivable
    Reeves: shameful first half, hiding, giving nothing fortunate to appear 2nd half, then he sort of joined in
    Aribo: quiet and subdued, some nice touched when dragged into game by his colleagues
    Fosu: very patchy, pace troubled pilgrims but decision making was dreadful and he baled out after 60 minutes
    Zyro: not sure he's fully fit yet but he made good use of the service and showed willing

Bowyer: Inexperience? What inexperience? He made best use of the resources available to him, took chances with the fullbacks (that paid off), knowing he didn't have out and out wingers, played a narrower midfield; had a couple of attack minded players so set out with 2 up top and, crucially, had others joining - never under the fat scouse gobshite were so many Charlton players in the box in open play - go figure Karlo.

More please.

Busby the referee: one of the most farcically corrupt performances by a black clad onanist we've seen in years, Bauer got booked for the ginger pilgrim front man diving over Bauer's leg that wasn't there; said ginger striker clattered around arms and elbows up like some copper topped battering ram without once conceding a free-kick; Argyle goalie handled the ball out of the area without sanction; Reeves was booked for one minor indiscretion but Busby pointed all around the field as if he'd been clattering all sorts - as if!! the workshy midget hadn't been involved up to that point.
    I'm not sure the arrogant short-arse wankstain will pay any attention but he should know for sure that he stank the place up cos the home fans, high on a 2 goal lead/victory, gave him dog's abuse at half and fulltime. Pricks like him give, even 3rd division, referees a bad name.

The ref had just called over and spoken to Pearce. The following is supposition but would make sense given that chat with Pearce. The chat would be about the bad tackles going in all around the pitch with a warning the next similar foul would get a yellow card. Hence the gesticulating when booking Reeves.
    The thing is, the vast majority weren't bad tackles. The Plymouth players just made the most of them, made sure the ref knew they'd been fouled, stayed down a bit longer than needed. That put pressure on the ref, it looks like we're trying to kick them off the pitch, makes him feel he needs to book someone to put a stop to it.

The Bauer bookings was an example of this, he missed man and ball, but it was already in the refs mind that we were chopping them down whenever we had the chance, so the yellow card comes straight out, despite the ref having been 40 yards away and the lino on the opposite side.
  • Options
    Was hoping to watch the whole match coverage on VP but, unless it's my imagination, the coverage starts with the Plymouth kick off after our first goal. Annoying, because only wanted to watch the first 20 mins or so.
    Btw, can you watch our home matches on VP if you're abroad?
  • Options

More please.

The thing is, the vast majority weren't bad tackles. The Plymouth players just made the most of them, made sure the ref knew they'd been fouled, stayed down a bit longer than needed. That put pressure on the ref, it looks like we're trying to kick them off the pitch, makes him feel he needs to book someone to put a stop to it.

The Bauer bookings was an example of this, he missed man and ball, but it was already in the refs mind that we were chopping them down whenever we had the chance, so the yellow card comes straight out, despite the ref having been 40 yards away and the lino on the opposite side.
    I'm sure someone had a word with the referee at half time, as in the second half similar challenges by our players weren't getting punished, and indeed the Plymouth players were penalised much more often

Don't understand how their big striker wasn't booked for consistent fouling though