Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth post match views 24/3/18

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

se9addick said:

cafc_se7 said:

se9addick said:

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

The temptation is to summarise today's performance in five words: The difference a formation makes.

However that does scant justice to Bowyer and Jackson who seem to have had a really positive impact on the motivation and desire of the players in the short time available to them as well as tweaking the formation.

Is the Nicky Ajose we saw today the same player as the stray mascot masquerading in his shirt that we occasionally saw blinking lost in the sunlight under Slade and Robinson? On today's evidence, given some service from both midfield and Zyro, he looked a real threat at times.

Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer had the bit of luck all managers need when Lewis Page's half volley dipped wickedly to beat Matthews in the Plymouth goal rather than continue rising to join Nicky Bailey's penalty in orbit. Lewis' next attempt at goal showed normal service had been resumed. That said note what I wrote to quote Ernie Wise: Lewis' NEXT ATTEMPT AT GOAL. How often could we write such a phrase reviewing a Robinson match throughout most of this season? Lewis Page, a left back, had more attempts on goal than the whole team often managed under Robinson.

Our second goal was a well worked team effort clinically finished with his head by Zyro. Josh Magennis would have loved such service. Zyro though grew into his role as the game progressed and that increasing confidence made him a handful for the Plymouth defence to handle throughout.

Another player who grew into his role today was Anfernee Dijksteel. Much of Plymouth's good stuff in the first half was played down his side including part of the move which culminated in Plymouth striking the woodwork in the first half. However as the game progressed Anfernee used his pace and physique to muscle his opponents off the ball and he became a real asset both in defensively and pushing forward.

This was essentially a team performance so singling out individuals is perhaps not truly representative but Fosu offers such an outlet and probably shades it as man of the match for me.

Negatives, as a Charlton fan there are always negatives, were the perennial Reeves, although I accept he tried without making much impact, and Forster-Caskey's corners which three or four times failed to beat the first defender. The rest of JFC's game was commendably efficient without really being spectacular.

In conclusion a mention for young Taylor Maloney. I noticed him walking off alone after the final whistle looking round after his brief cameo and wondered what he was thinking. Was it am I really here or was it well even though I didn't get a kick whatever else happens the book will say Taylor Maloney 0 (1) or something else?

I'm glad I made the effort today. The play offs may still be a step too far but today I watched a team that wanted to win and compete. That'll do for now.

COYR

Reeves a negative! Wow!!! I knew he would get slated by some on here purely based on previous appearances and not today’s showing. He got stuck in and won more tackles today than in his previous charlton career! He sprayed the ball around nicely and had by far his best league game for us. But let’s knock him just because me need to moan about someone
    I think I must be missing something with Reeves that other people are seeing. His final ball, be it a shot or a pass, always seems inaccurate and gives possession straight back to the opposition not to mention that his decision making - especially choosing to shoot from long range instead of pass to better positioned teammates despite no evidence that he's capable of scoring from that sort of distance - is really poor. He also seems out of position, particularly yesterday as this was probably a new formation to him and he was playing in an unfamiliar role.

Working hard is fine, but if there's no end product it's pointless.

I'm going up to the Northampton match so I'll make an effort to specifically watch him on and off the ball to see if I'm missing something but as of yet I just don't get it and he would be out of my side if/when we play that 4-4-2 again for Marshall.
    I appreciate it’s a matter of opinion but give Reeves a break! Some of our lot baffle me at times! How could you not see a totally different player yesterday? His work rate chasing balls down, putting his foot in (which he never did previously) and switching the ball to stretch the opposition was excellent! Yes he misplaced some passes and shot when he shouldn’t have but so does Fosu! I for one certainly hope he starts again next week!
    Not sure you really do appreciate that it's a matter of opinion.

Your argument that Reeves was better yesterday than he has been the rest of the season doesn't stand up to scrutiny since you're setting him an astonishingly low benchmark to perform against.

I hope he starts on Friday, as I said I'm going up and will try and see what others are seeing in him because I genuinely want to buy into the hype.
    Reeves has never imo been terrible, he's been poor. But he'd shown signs of improvement in the two games before Plymouth, and yesterday he showed why he's been highly rated in the past. He'd be an annoying player to play against, playing like that, and i can see his improvement continuing.

Reeves' competition is Clarke or Marshall, not Konsa. I'd say Fosu's competition is Mavididi.

At the moment Ajose and Zyro must be first choice up front, mustn't they?
    Tend to agree with all of the bit in bold, although I would argue that the position(s) Reeves was playing yesterday would put him in competition with Marshall.

In his natural position Reeves would be up against Clarke if fit and, from what I've seen, Clarke is a much better player.
  • Options
    Reeves is a footballer, but just gets pushed over a bit in this league.

I do sometimes think he is guilty of trying to play the killer ball every time he can, and should just keep it simple.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    se9addick said:

JamesSeed said:

se9addick said:

cafc_se7 said:

se9addick said:

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

The temptation is to summarise today's performance in five words: The difference a formation makes.

However that does scant justice to Bowyer and Jackson who seem to have had a really positive impact on the motivation and desire of the players in the short time available to them as well as tweaking the formation.

Is the Nicky Ajose we saw today the same player as the stray mascot masquerading in his shirt that we occasionally saw blinking lost in the sunlight under Slade and Robinson? On today's evidence, given some service from both midfield and Zyro, he looked a real threat at times.

Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer had the bit of luck all managers need when Lewis Page's half volley dipped wickedly to beat Matthews in the Plymouth goal rather than continue rising to join Nicky Bailey's penalty in orbit. Lewis' next attempt at goal showed normal service had been resumed. That said note what I wrote to quote Ernie Wise: Lewis' NEXT ATTEMPT AT GOAL. How often could we write such a phrase reviewing a Robinson match throughout most of this season? Lewis Page, a left back, had more attempts on goal than the whole team often managed under Robinson.

Our second goal was a well worked team effort clinically finished with his head by Zyro. Josh Magennis would have loved such service. Zyro though grew into his role as the game progressed and that increasing confidence made him a handful for the Plymouth defence to handle throughout.

Another player who grew into his role today was Anfernee Dijksteel. Much of Plymouth's good stuff in the first half was played down his side including part of the move which culminated in Plymouth striking the woodwork in the first half. However as the game progressed Anfernee used his pace and physique to muscle his opponents off the ball and he became a real asset both in defensively and pushing forward.

This was essentially a team performance so singling out individuals is perhaps not truly representative but Fosu offers such an outlet and probably shades it as man of the match for me.

Negatives, as a Charlton fan there are always negatives, were the perennial Reeves, although I accept he tried without making much impact, and Forster-Caskey's corners which three or four times failed to beat the first defender. The rest of JFC's game was commendably efficient without really being spectacular.

In conclusion a mention for young Taylor Maloney. I noticed him walking off alone after the final whistle looking round after his brief cameo and wondered what he was thinking. Was it am I really here or was it well even though I didn't get a kick whatever else happens the book will say Taylor Maloney 0 (1) or something else?

I'm glad I made the effort today. The play offs may still be a step too far but today I watched a team that wanted to win and compete. That'll do for now.

COYR

Reeves a negative! Wow!!! I knew he would get slated by some on here purely based on previous appearances and not today’s showing. He got stuck in and won more tackles today than in his previous charlton career! He sprayed the ball around nicely and had by far his best league game for us. But let’s knock him just because me need to moan about someone
    I think I must be missing something with Reeves that other people are seeing. His final ball, be it a shot or a pass, always seems inaccurate and gives possession straight back to the opposition not to mention that his decision making - especially choosing to shoot from long range instead of pass to better positioned teammates despite no evidence that he's capable of scoring from that sort of distance - is really poor. He also seems out of position, particularly yesterday as this was probably a new formation to him and he was playing in an unfamiliar role.

I'm going up to the Northampton match so I'll make an effort to specifically watch him on and off the ball to see if I'm missing something but as of yet I just don't get it and he would be out of my side if/when we play that 4-4-2 again for Marshall.
    I appreciate it’s a matter of opinion but give Reeves a break! Some of our lot baffle me at times! How could you not see a totally different player yesterday? His work rate chasing balls down, putting his foot in (which he never did previously) and switching the ball to stretch the opposition was excellent! Yes he misplaced some passes and shot when he shouldn’t have but so does Fosu! I for one certainly hope he starts again next week!
    Not sure you really do appreciate that it's a matter of opinion.

Your argument that Reeves was better yesterday than he has been the rest of the season doesn't stand up to scrutiny since you're setting him an astonishingly low benchmark to perform against.

I hope he starts on Friday, as I said I'm going up and will try and see what others are seeing in him because I genuinely want to buy into the hype.
    Reeves has never imo been terrible, he's been poor. But he'd shown signs of improvement in the two games before Plymouth, and yesterday he showed why he's been highly rated in the past. He'd be an annoying player to play against, playing like that, and i can see his improvement continuing.

Reeves' competition is Clarke or Marshall, not Konsa. I'd say Fosu's competition is Mavididi.

At the moment Ajose and Zyro must be first choice up front, mustn't they?
    Tend to agree with all of the bit in bold, although I would argue that the position(s) Reeves was playing yesterday would put him in competition with Marshall.

In his natural position Reeves would be up against Clarke if fit and, from what I've seen, Clarke is a much better player.
    I agree about Clarke overall. But on yesterday's performance, there's not too much in it.

After yesterday, as a non football manager, I'd stick with the same players for the next games. But this is where a proper manager shows his worth. Sounds to me like Bowyer is up for playing a different formation to counter different opponents, and that may involve different players. Good on him, if that's the case.
  • Options
    Thought Ajose looked great yday. I actually thought a lot of the time he wasnt given the ball early enough, he was screaming for the ball many times to be played down the channel when he was already on the shoulder of the defender but we kept hesistating to play him in and the attack had to slow down. Reckon we missed at least a couple of good chances on goal just due to that.
  • Options

Thought Ajose looked great yday. I actually thought a lot of the time he wasnt given the ball early enough, he was screaming for the ball many times to be played down the channel when he was already on the shoulder of the defender but we kept hesistating to play him in and the attack had to slow down. Reckon we missed at least a couple of good chances on goal just due to that.

This was the key difference between the first and second half
  • Options
    Top marks too all.mom. Ajose.ref was bad.
  • Options
    cazo said:

Top marks too all.mom. Ajose.ref was bad.

Everything ok?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

COYR

It's about opinions. I made it clear that I accept Reeves put a shift in today but in my view he had little impact still.

I would agree also that was the best game I've seen him play for us but that's a bit like saying Peter Sutcliffe isn't as bad as Ted Bundy because he killed less people! We are starting from a very low base.

I am not one to knock Charlton players and if I do there is usually good reason.

There is little I'd like more than to be convinced by Reeves and what he brings to the party. I genuinely cannot see it.

Perhaps @Tutt-Tutt or someone of similar knowledge can educate me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    bellz2002 said:

Lots of coverage in the Football League Paper today. Front page plus a couple of columns and match report. Dijksteel is in the Team of the Day plus Lee Bowyer is named Top Boss of the Day.

Like someone said earlier, I'm also feeling positive about Charlton again. Just need takeover to go through and we're there.

Must have been done great performances from centre backs across L1 & L2 if neither of our boys got in to the team of the weekend.

Great to see some good news about us for once.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

bellz2002 said:

Lots of coverage in the Football League Paper today. Front page plus a couple of columns and match report. Dijksteel is in the Team of the Day plus Lee Bowyer is named Top Boss of the Day.

Like someone said earlier, I'm also feeling positive about Charlton again. Just need takeover to go through and we're there.

Must have been done great performances from centre backs across L1 & L2 if neither of our boys got in to the team of the weekend.
    Especially at Crawley 3 Cheltenham 5

:smile:
  • Options
    Nevermind the bollocks. let's make the most of it for the next few days at least...
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cafc_se7 said:

se9addick said:

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

COYR

The only hype came from Robinson. Reeves has had a slow start to his Cafc career and wouldn't be in the team if Billy Clarke was fit.
    Different opinions sure but you were the only person to give Reeves a 5 yesterday. He did the hard yards against Plymouth and won tackles and passed ok.
    The match yesterday was the first time for years that all 11 players who started played well. This was reflected by 99 % of the CL players marks.
  • Options
    Reeves gave drive and energy to the side yesterday which really helped JFC and Aribo shine.
  • Options
    RWP
  • Options

PeterGage said:

I think the ref got the handball correct. The keeper made an error catching the ball, instinctively tried to re-catch it and lost sight of where he was on the pitch. Be very cruel to call it malicious.

I think we were reminded of Hamer's red against Orient. You have to decide on intent I suppose. Some refs would have sent him off, but probably one of the few decisions the ref got right today!
    NO referee would have sent the keeper off The law is clear - it has to be (and I quote) an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity.

Please consider whether you should be giving an opinion on a subject you are clueless about - embarrassing.

Clearly no respect for referees - rant over.
    I guess you could argue with a keeper 20 yards from goal, any shot is an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

I was personally surprised there was no card for the keeper but would've been equally surprised by a red. Think that a yellow card was a fair call for that particular situation.
    Bang on Callum, it's all about interpretation. It shouldn't be of course, but the wording in that particular rule/law is definitely open to interpretation. It was OBVIOUSLY a goal scoring opportunity because the attacking player would have gone around the keeper and, despite the angle, would have had a goal scoring opportunity. For me it was at least a yellow card.

It's not the ref's fault that the wording in the law is so woolly. However, that does not detract from the fact that his performance was shamefully abject and woeful and he shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch (let alone officiating a professional match), unless he's painting the white lines and trimming the borders! He was beyond parody.
  • Options
    After sleeping on it, I'm really glad I went yesterday. I was optimistic (which is unlike me, TBH) and hope to at least see us put in a shift. When Amos touched their shot onto the post, I knew we were going to win with the same confidence that I usually knew we were going to concede in the 91st minute under KR so often.

Tide has turned. This was a pivotal moment. When Bowyer said post match "we will be in the playoffs", I for one believe him. I can see someone being on the end of a right hiding from us in the next few weeks, get us into positive goal difference.

Takeover next.
  • Options
    What was also refreshing was how we never just gave up attacking and sat back, even with 10 to go. Very refreshing indeed.
  • Options
    Genuinely reinterested in all things cafc again, and great to read the whole post match thread, and watch the goal rush, just a shame I wasnt at the game..sorry Robbo but this is more likely to be the day we got our Charlton back, notwishstanding RD effing off!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

Genuinely reinterested in all things cafc again, and great to read the whole post match thread, and watch the goal rush, just a shame I wasnt at the game..sorry Robbo but this is more likely to be the day we got our Charlton back, notwishstanding RD effing off!

Glad you enjoyed it
  • Options
    rananegra said:

After sleeping on it, I'm really glad I went yesterday. I was optimistic (which is unlike me, TBH) and hope to at least see us put in a shift. When Amos touched their shot onto the post, I knew we were going to win with the same confidence that I usually knew we were going to concede in the 91st minute under KR so often.

Tide has turned. This was a pivotal moment. When Bowyer said post match "we will be in the playoffs", I for one believe him. I can see someone being on the end of a right hiding from us in the next few weeks, get us into positive goal difference.

Takeover next.

THIS. Had to play it back last night & watch it again - brought a lump to my throat. Robinson could say what he liked, but Bowyer MEANS it.
  • Options

Amos: one really good save at 1 nil, otherwise largely untroubled
    Dijksteel: remarkably good especially with no cover whatsoever, few stray passes
    Pearce: back to something like himself
    Bauer: decent, his booking was a farce
    Page: unrecognisable, is this the real Lewis Page? shattered by 65 minutes but that's forgivable
    Forster-Caskey: midfield general, very vocal
    Reeves: shameful first half, hiding, giving nothing fortunate to appear 2nd half, then he sort of joined in
    Aribo: quiet and subdued, some nice touched when dragged into game by his colleagues
    Fosu: very patchy, pace troubled pilgrims but decision making was dreadful and he baled out after 60 minutes
    Ajose: unlucky not to score, industrious valuable link for midfield to Zyro
    Zyro: not sure he's fully fit yet but he made good use of the service and showed willing

Bowyer: Inexperience? What inexperience? He made best use of the resources available to him, took chances with the fullbacks (that paid off), knowing he didn't have out and out wingers, played a narrower midfield; had a couple of attack minded players so set out with 2 up top and, crucially, had others joining - never under the fat scouse gobshite were so many Charlton players in the box in open play - go figure Karlo.

More please.

Busby the referee: one of the most farcically corrupt performances by a black clad onanist we've seen in years, Bauer got booked for the ginger pilgrim front man diving over Bauer's leg that wasn't there; said ginger striker clattered around arms and elbows up like some copper topped battering ram without once conceding a free-kick; Argyle goalie handled the ball out of the area without sanction; Reeves was booked for one minor indiscretion but Busby pointed all around the field as if he'd been clattering all sorts - as if!! the workshy midget hadn't been involved up to that point.
    I'm not sure the arrogant short-arse wankstain will pay any attention but he should know for sure that he stank the place up cos the home fans, high on a 2 goal lead/victory, gave him dog's abuse at half and fulltime. Pricks like him give, even 3rd division, referees a bad name.

Love reading your posts mate.
  • Options

Amos: one really good save at 1 nil, otherwise largely untroubled
    Dijksteel: remarkably good especially with no cover whatsoever, few stray passes
    Pearce: back to something like himself
    Bauer: decent, his booking was a farce
    Page: unrecognisable, is this the real Lewis Page? shattered by 65 minutes but that's forgivable
    Forster-Caskey: midfield general, very vocal
    Reeves: shameful first half, hiding, giving nothing fortunate to appear 2nd half, then he sort of joined in
    Aribo: quiet and subdued, some nice touched when dragged into game by his colleagues
    Fosu: very patchy, pace troubled pilgrims but decision making was dreadful and he baled out after 60 minutes
    Ajose: unlucky not to score, industrious valuable link for midfield to Zyro
    Zyro: not sure he's fully fit yet but he made good use of the service and showed willing

Bowyer: Inexperience? What inexperience? He made best use of the resources available to him, took chances with the fullbacks (that paid off), knowing he didn't have out and out wingers, played a narrower midfield; had a couple of attack minded players so set out with 2 up top and, crucially, had others joining - never under the fat scouse gobshite were so many Charlton players in the box in open play - go figure Karlo.

More please.

Busby the referee: one of the most farcically corrupt performances by a black clad onanist we've seen in years, Bauer got booked for the ginger pilgrim front man diving over Bauer's leg that wasn't there; said ginger striker clattered around arms and elbows up like some copper topped battering ram without once conceding a free-kick; Argyle goalie handled the ball out of the area without sanction; Reeves was booked for one minor indiscretion but Busby pointed all around the field as if he'd been clattering all sorts - as if!! the workshy midget hadn't been involved up to that point.
    I'm not sure the arrogant short-arse wankstain will pay any attention but he should know for sure that he stank the place up cos the home fans, high on a 2 goal lead/victory, gave him dog's abuse at half and fulltime. Pricks like him give, even 3rd division, referees a bad name.

I was going to slate you for your verdict on Reeves’ performance, as well as Aribo’s, but what the hell; it’s so beautifully written and amusing, why would I bother.
  • Options
    C'mon Viewfinder, you know you want to!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Saying Aribo was quiet and dragged into the game by his his colleagues and Reeves was shamefull 1st half is utter shite.
    Must be a wind up.
    Wound me up.
  • Options

Saying Aribo was quiet and dragged into the game by his his colleagues and Reeves was shamefull 1st half is utter shite.
    Must be a wind up.
    Wound me up.

You couldn't have read too many of the Thundercocks posts during your sebatacle then Sam :wink: .