Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth post match views 24/3/18

Comments

• Options

This one has become a bit silly - shock horror - house prices are cheaper in Plymouth than London, you can pick virtually every place in Great Britain and say the same!

I live in south west London and I think south east London is dirt cheap...though having read the thread about south east trains it’s easy to understand why...
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

'The end of a run. I'd like to be able to say we lost to a better team but we didn't. We were poor all over the pitch'.

Interesting how the author saw the game through green tinted specs. Try a teaspoonful of sugar with those grapes me old Pilgrim :smiley: .
    That’s the sort of comment that gives you hope...other clubs will underestimate charlton and suffer the consequences if the team goes in and hits them hard and hits them early, as it did on Saturday; and those sort of comments gloss over their own failings and let them fester for a bit longer instead of being put right straight away
  • Options

This one has become a bit silly - shock horror - house prices are cheaper in Plymouth than London, you can pick virtually every place in Great Britain and say the same!

I live in south west London and I think south east London is dirt cheap...though having read the thread about south east trains it’s easy to understand why...
    They breed them optimistic in South West London ;-)
  • Options

Can accomplish alot by getting your team to just work hard, even if you are getting outplayed at times, just keeping at a team can earn you a point or even nick a win if you have managed to defend well!

We sounded more industrious but with a much better end product.

Zyro give an interview saying Bowyer changed there mentaility, can imagine KR was acting like a pouty child at times and in the end that will rub off on the players!

Yep. It's called containing your opponents.
    They get plenty of possession but few chances.

As we know, it's how teams played against Charlton under Robinson, allowing us plenty of possession and few chances.

• Options
    The thing I notice most watching that compared to the last 3 months is the number of players we get in the box when we attack. I can't remember the last time we had more than Josh +1 for any attack from open play. Makes such a difference when the opposition defend can't double up on you.
  • Options
    REAL LIFE
    Pld 37 = 55 points.
    PREDICTION
    Pld 37 = 59 points.

I can only see us winning another 4 games this season if we're lucky, but fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

REAL LIFE
    Pld 37 = 55 points.
    PREDICTION
    Pld 37 = 59 points.

I can only see us winning another 4 games this season if we're lucky, but fingers crossed.

If we play like we did against Plymouth I can’t see us losing many.

16/1 against promotion yesterday (haven’t checked today). Might be worth a pound.

That’s from someone who had £20 on Plymouth the day before KR quit, and a fiver on Charlton the day after. Lol :-) etc
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Dazzler21 said:

REAL LIFE
    Pld 37 = 55 points.
    PREDICTION
    Pld 37 = 59 points.

Would still exercise caution, will get excited again after the Rotherham game (i.e. If we get six points over Easter then it could be happening) - I got carried away after Walsall when we saw Magennis | Fosu | Mavididi rip them apart yet we've been awful since
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    That is true but I think there are still reasons for concern/caution. Firstly I think we should have scored more goals in the second half and secondly every player played well - what if one or two or more don't?

I'd counter that by saying that defensively we were decent, which might mitigate a lack of goals - if that turns out to be an issue. The next couple of games will tell us a lot I suspect!

We are playing teams in and around us - but that can be a good thing if we play like we did on Saturday. And we have Scunthorpe, Rotherham and Blakburn at home!

• Options

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

The temptation is to summarise today's performance in five words: The difference a formation makes.

However that does scant justice to Bowyer and Jackson who seem to have had a really positive impact on the motivation and desire of the players in the short time available to them as well as tweaking the formation.

Is the Nicky Ajose we saw today the same player as the stray mascot masquerading in his shirt that we occasionally saw blinking lost in the sunlight under Slade and Robinson? On today's evidence, given some service from both midfield and Zyro, he looked a real threat at times.

Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer had the bit of luck all managers need when Lewis Page's half volley dipped wickedly to beat Matthews in the Plymouth goal rather than continue rising to join Nicky Bailey's penalty in orbit. Lewis' next attempt at goal showed normal service had been resumed. That said note what I wrote to quote Ernie Wise: Lewis' NEXT ATTEMPT AT GOAL. How often could we write such a phrase reviewing a Robinson match throughout most of this season? Lewis Page, a left back, had more attempts on goal than the whole team often managed under Robinson.

Our second goal was a well worked team effort clinically finished with his head by Zyro. Josh Magennis would have loved such service. Zyro though grew into his role as the game progressed and that increasing confidence made him a handful for the Plymouth defence to handle throughout.

Another player who grew into his role today was Anfernee Dijksteel. Much of Plymouth's good stuff in the first half was played down his side including part of the move which culminated in Plymouth striking the woodwork in the first half. However as the game progressed Anfernee used his pace and physique to muscle his opponents off the ball and he became a real asset both in defensively and pushing forward.

This was essentially a team performance so singling out individuals is perhaps not truly representative but Fosu offers such an outlet and probably shades it as man of the match for me.

Negatives, as a Charlton fan there are always negatives, were the perennial Reeves, although I accept he tried without making much impact, and Forster-Caskey's corners which three or four times failed to beat the first defender. The rest of JFC's game was commendably efficient without really being spectacular.

In conclusion a mention for young Taylor Maloney. I noticed him walking off alone after the final whistle looking round after his brief cameo and wondered what he was thinking. Was it am I really here or was it well even though I didn't get a kick whatever else happens the book will say Taylor Maloney 0 (1) or something else?

I'm glad I made the effort today. The play offs may still be a step too far but today I watched a team that wanted to win and compete. That'll do for now.

COYR

Like your mention to Maloney as thought the same... Excellent (yet brave) touch from Bowyer to put him on at the death

Great bit of experience for him to feel that positive buzz from the crowd
    His parents were sitting a couple of rows behind me and they were up taking photos of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That is true but I think there are still reasons for concern/caution. Firstly I think we should have scored more goals in the second half and secondly every player played well - what if one or two or more don't?

I'd counter that by saying that defensively we were decent, which might mitigate a lack of goals - if that turns out to be an issue. The next couple of games will tell us a lot I suspect!

We are playing teams in and around us - but that can be a good thing if we play like we did on Saturday. And we have Scunthorpe, Rotherham and Blakburn at home!

Looking at it optimistically, Ajose and Zyro should get better and better, was a very promising start to the partnership. Also the midfield should now know to be looking for Ajose early, he's a willing running and always looking for the early ball in the channel. These are all things that Bowyer now has time to work on that he didn't in the couple of days before the Plymouth game.
  • Options
    We do need to keep clear of key injuries. Magennis is useful back-up and Mav is back soon so offensively it suddenly doesn't look too bad.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Sage said:

stonemuse said:

Sage said:

One little tactical aspect of the game that we introduced with Bowyer that I was impressed with, was that when we were defending, Ajose and Zyro split and sat closer to the Plymouth full backs, Fosu then sat on their holding midfielder.

This was all from Bowyer telling them exactly when and where to be. What this done tactically was stop their full backs pushing on as far and stopped their holding midfielder get any kind of control.

This little change meant they were very cautious of us on the counter attack which at times when we got through, we could’ve scored more.

Just something I don’t think Robinson would’ve done personally or even thought of. It really made a difference to us in our approach both defensively, and counter attacking too.

Insightful observation
    Thank you. We all see the game played in different ways, - just as a coach myself, I find myself subconsciously analysing throughout.

This was just one of a few that really stuck out, but personally I think made a big difference to our performance that others may not have saw.
    Did you spot similar things during Robinson's time? I got the impression with him that he was focussed on playing his system. It was about making it work with whatever players he had. The idea that we would make the opposition worry about us rather than adapt to them.
    Principles are principles but if it ain’t working then bite the bullet and change things.

The need for change was glaringly obvious but he didn’t see it and the more it didn’t work, the more the player’s heads dropped until the rot set into unrecoverable mode.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

'The end of a run. I'd like to be able to say we lost to a better team but we didn't. We were poor all over the pitch'.

Interesting how the author saw the game through green tinted specs. Try a teaspoonful of sugar with those grapes me old Pilgrim :smiley: .
    Have to admit that was one of a few who didnt think we were the better side.

The one who thought Bauer should have gone was an idiot, like the fact another Plymouth fan responded to him about their Goalkeeper getting away with the handball without getting a Yellow at least
    I think many people accepted that we weren’t necessarily the better side but that we stifled them beautifully to limit the threat to a minimum.
  • Options
    purdis said:

Scoham said:

Sage said:

stonemuse said:

Sage said:

One little tactical aspect of the game that we introduced with Bowyer that I was impressed with, was that when we were defending, Ajose and Zyro split and sat closer to the Plymouth full backs, Fosu then sat on their holding midfielder.

This was all from Bowyer telling them exactly when and where to be. What this done tactically was stop their full backs pushing on as far and stopped their holding midfielder get any kind of control.

This little change meant they were very cautious of us on the counter attack which at times when we got through, we could’ve scored more.

Just something I don’t think Robinson would’ve done personally or even thought of. It really made a difference to us in our approach both defensively, and counter attacking too.

Insightful observation
    Thank you. We all see the game played in different ways, - just as a coach myself, I find myself subconsciously analysing throughout.

This was just one of a few that really stuck out, but personally I think made a big difference to our performance that others may not have saw.
    Did you spot similar things during Robinson's time? I got the impression with him that he was focussed on playing his system. It was about making it work with whatever players he had. The idea that we would make the opposition worry about us rather than adapt to them.
    Principles are principles but if it ain’t working then bite the bullet and change things.

The need for change was glaringly obvious but he didn’t see it and the more it didn’t work, the more the player’s heads dropped until the rot set into unrecoverable mode.
    We saw the Plymouth manager try to change things on Saturday. The changes didn't work but he saw what wasn't working and tried to do something about it. Robinson would decide the changes would not work but not try them , or be far too slow to.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Can't really agree with this. Ajose had a shot saved by the keeper, Aribo's effort was narrowly wide from an angle where he had to bend it around a player & into the corner when he only had a second to decide what to do & Zyro's last minute effort was only inches wide. This is compared to last weeks efforts that were either miles high or blocked. Play like that every week & i'll guarantee we'll score 2 or 3 every game - which should be enough to get 3 points in most games.

One thing not really mentioned on here is that Saturday was the 1st game since Riga's first stint in charge where we won a "must win" game - and with some panache & ooomph. Under KR we lost the "PC Palmer memorial" game, Shrewsbury at home, Blackpool away & a boring draw with Bradford. All very insipid. At least Bowyer got them up & motivated. Reminded me of the Pompey game in 1992 & Curbs "more shots" mantra.
  • Options
    purdis said:

RedChaser said:

Have to admit that was one of a few who didnt think we were the better side.

The one who thought Bauer should have gone was an idiot, like the fact another Plymouth fan responded to him about their Goalkeeper getting away with the handball without getting a Yellow at least
    I think many people accepted that we weren’t necessarily the better side but that we stifled them beautifully to limit the threat to a minimum.
    We were easily the better side on Saturday! The shot stats back this up - 15 shots (7 on target) versus 7 shots (1 on target). 8 corners versus 2 corners

It was one of those days when everything clicked for us. We won't play that well every game.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    WSA said:

se9addick said:

LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

The temptation is to summarise today's performance in five words: The difference a formation makes.

However that does scant justice to Bowyer and Jackson who seem to have had a really positive impact on the motivation and desire of the players in the short time available to them as well as tweaking the formation.

Is the Nicky Ajose we saw today the same player as the stray mascot masquerading in his shirt that we occasionally saw blinking lost in the sunlight under Slade and Robinson? On today's evidence, given some service from both midfield and Zyro, he looked a real threat at times.

Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer had the bit of luck all managers need when Lewis Page's half volley dipped wickedly to beat Matthews in the Plymouth goal rather than continue rising to join Nicky Bailey's penalty in orbit. Lewis' next attempt at goal showed normal service had been resumed. That said note what I wrote to quote Ernie Wise: Lewis' NEXT ATTEMPT AT GOAL. How often could we write such a phrase reviewing a Robinson match throughout most of this season? Lewis Page, a left back, had more attempts on goal than the whole team often managed under Robinson.

Our second goal was a well worked team effort clinically finished with his head by Zyro. Josh Magennis would have loved such service. Zyro though grew into his role as the game progressed and that increasing confidence made him a handful for the Plymouth defence to handle throughout.

Another player who grew into his role today was Anfernee Dijksteel. Much of Plymouth's good stuff in the first half was played down his side including part of the move which culminated in Plymouth striking the woodwork in the first half. However as the game progressed Anfernee used his pace and physique to muscle his opponents off the ball and he became a real asset both in defensively and pushing forward.

This was essentially a team performance so singling out individuals is perhaps not truly representative but Fosu offers such an outlet and probably shades it as man of the match for me.

Negatives, as a Charlton fan there are always negatives, were the perennial Reeves, although I accept he tried without making much impact, and Forster-Caskey's corners which three or four times failed to beat the first defender. The rest of JFC's game was commendably efficient without really being spectacular.

In conclusion a mention for young Taylor Maloney. I noticed him walking off alone after the final whistle looking round after his brief cameo and wondered what he was thinking. Was it am I really here or was it well even though I didn't get a kick whatever else happens the book will say Taylor Maloney 0 (1) or something else?

I'm glad I made the effort today. The play offs may still be a step too far but today I watched a team that wanted to win and compete. That'll do for now.

COYR

Reeves a negative! Wow!!! I knew he would get slated by some on here purely based on previous appearances and not today’s showing. He got stuck in and won more tackles today than in his previous charlton career! He sprayed the ball around nicely and had by far his best league game for us. But let’s knock him just because me need to moan about someone
    I think I must be missing something with Reeves that other people are seeing. His final ball, be it a shot or a pass, always seems inaccurate and gives possession straight back to the opposition not to mention that his decision making - especially choosing to shoot from long range instead of pass to better positioned teammates despite no evidence that he's capable of scoring from that sort of distance - is really poor. He also seems out of position, particularly yesterday as this was probably a new formation to him and he was playing in an unfamiliar role.

Working hard is fine, but if there's no end product it's pointless.

I'm going up to the Northampton match so I'll make an effort to specifically watch him on and off the ball to see if I'm missing something but as of yet I just don't get it and he would be out of my side if/when we play that 4-4-2 again for Marshall.
    I thought it was just me having a problem with Reeves.

In previous matches when tracking players, rather than tackle he looks as though he is being repelled by the player like two North Pole magnets. I am sure he just doesn't want to get hurt.

I was surprised at his change in spirit in the Plymouth game after Robinson's exit, he was actually pulling off a few good passes/challenges.

Originally I regarded him as Robinson's blue-eyed boy having waited for him so long to arrive. However, It would now appear that it was Reeves delaying signing because he couldn't face working with Robinson again and then didn't have any choice.

It's called standing off your man, it is generally used to limit the opponents options of what they can do rather than over committing yourself and allowing the opponent to bypass you in a key area.

Sure passes often still go past you, but the options are generally out wide or backwards, rather than straight to a player in the more dangerous central positions.

• Options

Can't really agree with this. Ajose had a shot saved by the keeper, Aribo's effort was narrowly wide from an angle where he had to bend it around a player & into the corner when he only had a second to decide what to do & Zyro's last minute effort was only inches wide. This is compared to last weeks efforts that were either miles high or blocked. Play like that every week & i'll guarantee we'll score 2 or 3 every game - which should be enough to get 3 points in most games.

One thing not really mentioned on here is that Saturday was the 1st game since Riga's first stint in charge where we won a "must win" game - and with some panache & ooomph. Under KR we lost the "PC Palmer memorial" game, Shrewsbury at home, Blackpool away & a boring draw with Bradford. All very insipid. At least Bowyer got them up & motivated. Reminded me of the Pompey game in 1992 & Curbs "more shots" mantra.
    I would add Aribo getting through but being unsure whether to head or kick, I think the shot that bent was Fosu's. I also thought we should have had a penalty. I do take your point there was less aimless blasting over the bar, but I thought there were enough decent chances to get another goal, without saying which of those chances should have been converted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

working off the same model i have all year 74 points guarantees play offs, 19 points required out of 27 - pretty tough ask.

northampton a - win
    rotherham h - draw
    bristol rovers a - win
    afc wimbledon a - win
    scunthorpe h - lose
    shrewsbury a - lose
    pompey a - draw
    blackburn h - lose
    rochdale a - win

total 14

leaves us on 69 points, which i unfortunately think will just be a little short of play offs.

real shame that KR hadn't fucked off earlier, as sounded like a different side on Saturday.

I'll go with:

Wins (5) - Northampton | Rotherham | Bristol Rovers | Scunthorpe | Rochdale
    Draws (3) - AFC Wimbledon | Shrewsbury Town | Portsmouth
    Defeats (1) - Blackburn
    Depends on circumstances though. For example by the time they come to the Valley, Blackburn might already be promoted in which case their players might not be too fussed.
  • Options

working off the same model i have all year 74 points guarantees play offs, 19 points required out of 27 - pretty tough ask.

northampton a - win
    rotherham h - draw
    bristol rovers a - win
    afc wimbledon a - win
    scunthorpe h - lose
    shrewsbury a - lose
    pompey a - draw
    blackburn h - lose
    rochdale a - win

total 14

leaves us on 69 points, which i unfortunately think will just be a little short of play offs.

real shame that KR hadn't fucked off earlier, as sounded like a different side on Saturday.

I'll go with:

Wins (5) - Northampton | Rotherham | Bristol Rovers | Scunthorpe | Rochdale
    Draws (3) - AFC Wimbledon | Shrewsbury Town | Portsmouth
    Defeats (1) - Blackburn
    Depends on circumstances though. For example by the time they come to the Valley, Blackburn might already be promoted in which case their players might not be too fussed.
    Certainly hope so... It was one of the factors that left me struggling to decide on a draw / loss against them
  • Options
    We have missed them.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Dazzler21 said:

REAL LIFE
    Pld 37 = 55 points.
    PREDICTION
    Pld 37 = 59 points.

Would still exercise caution, will get excited again after the Rotherham game (i.e. If we get six points over Easter then it could be happening) - I got carried away after Walsall when we saw Magennis | Fosu | Mavididi rip them apart yet we've been awful since
    It was a big if. But you never know!

Would be great to get to the playoffs, so long as we win them.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Dazzler21 said:

REAL LIFE
    Pld 37 = 55 points.
    PREDICTION
    Pld 37 = 59 points.

It was a big if. But you never know!

Would be great to get to the playoffs, so long as we win them.
    Its frustrating as Play-Offs are still within reach... Win @ AFC Wimbledon, match all other results recorded by Portsmouth | Peterborough | Plymouth and the goal has been achieved. As I put in my previous post, there is every chance we could get six points from the next two games... Manage that and we'd be breathing down Rotherham's necks in 4th - Its the highest position we can aim for now, yet would give us home advantage for that second leg of the Play-Offs

All huge IFs though

Regardless then our form HAS to start soon to get us into the Play-Offs and potentially win them - We cant just stumble into them come Rochdale as for me, it would just be two extra games to prolong the season
  • Options
    Gammon said:

One of the things that most impressed me was how much bauer and Pearce celebrated with each after the final whistle. They knew they did a fantastic job and was great to see them come together and celebrate the ckean sheet as a defensive partnership.

Pearce will give away fouls and the odd booking with his whole hearted and rugged approach, but it was noticeable that he was much sharper on Saturday and his timing better than his previous games after the long injury break. The partnership with Bauer looks promising, though I find it puzzling why Amos would so often pass the ball out to Pearce rather than one of our better passers!
  • Options

Gammon said:

One of the things that most impressed me was how much bauer and Pearce celebrated with each after the final whistle. They knew they did a fantastic job and was great to see them come together and celebrate the ckean sheet as a defensive partnership.

Pearce will give away fouls and the odd booking with his whole hearted and rugged approach, but it was noticeable that he was much sharper on Saturday and his timing better than his previous games after the long injury break. The partnership with Bauer looks promising, though I find it puzzling why Amos would so often pass the ball out to Pearce rather than one of our better passers!
    A lot of our attacking play begins down the left-hand side (always has done I've found)

So guess it was passed out to Pearce so the ball could then go out to Lewis Page?
  • Options

Gammon said:

A lot of our attacking play begins down the left-hand side (always has done I've found)

So guess it was passed out to Pearce so the ball could then go out to Lewis Page?
    It seems an unnecessary step when the ball could go out to Page (or to the right back) directly.

Amos doesn't seem to throw the ball much, indeed keepers in general don't seem to throw it as much, I guess they spend so much time on their kicking and ball control these days, it's something that seems to have gone out of fashion!