Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Plymouth post match views 24/3/18

Comments

• Yet was deliberate handball? - A Footballer does that and a Free Kick / Yellow Card is given...

Granted it wasnt a goalscoring opportunity (so no Red) yet surely a yellow or even a talking to should have been given!!
  • RedChaser said:

addick05 said:

Can anyone confirm why the Argyle keeper escaped any punishment for what seemed a deliberate handball outside the box? The ref seemed to take an age explaining something the JFC before the resultant free kick.

@addick05 this was posted on the match thread;
    ross1
    4:04PM
    Free Kick
    Once the referee decides that the goalie has illegally handled the ball outside the box, the whistle blows and play stops. The referee places the ball at the spot of the infraction. When play resumes, the opposing team receives a direct free kick at the goal.

Discipline
    A goalie who commits a violation outside the box typically will only risk receiving a card or being sent off the pitch if the handling was clearly committed to prevent an impending goal from going into the net.

Cheers Red, I guess that clarifies it a little, probably explains why he took such an age talking to JFC.
  • edited March 2018

Yet was deliberate handball? - A Footballer does that and a Free Kick / Yellow Card is given...

Granted it wasnt a goalscoring opportunity (so no Red) yet surely a yellow or even a talking to should have been given!!

It's down to the refs interpretation of the situation then who gave the benefit of doubt. The consensus of opinion would seem that he had a poor game overall apart from this incident but don't shoot the messenger :wink:
  • 3 points, fantastic performance and for the first time in a few years I found myself genuinely excited that my team was playing.

We just need the takeover to be confirmed in the next week and I can say I have the love for my club back.

I have missed this feeling, win, lose or draw, I am glad to have it back COYR! :-)
  • se9addick said:

This was the only let down today!

When that penalty call wasnt given at the end the first thing I thought was there goes our last chance for a free beer
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Excellent performance today, clearly. I wonder how much the good feeling we've all got this evening is being amplified by the expectation of great news early next week.
    I can't wait to come back with Idle jr. once the Belgian bun does one.

The light at the end of the tunnel seems to be shining a lot brighter this evening.
  • edited March 2018
    2-0 down at half time - who would have thought that the form team in the division could only muster 2 speculative second desperate shots when they had to chase the game. All the chances were ours and 3 or 4 wouldn't have flattered us. Well done to all. Continue to play like that is this poor league and Play Offs are more than possible.

Nobody had a bad game today - what was Robbo doing wrong? The players were better than Plymouth's to a man.
  • edited March 2018
    RedChaser said:

Yet was deliberate handball? - A Footballer does that and a Free Kick / Yellow Card is given...

It's down to the refs interpretation of the situation then who gave the benefit of doubt. The consensus of opinion would seem that he had a poor game overall apart from this incident but don't shoot the messenger :wink:
    Was their 19 the ref's son? That is all I will say about one of the worst refs I have seen. That he couldn't help Plymouth was another thing pointing to how well we played. Thought that was a penalty at the end with the foul on Fosu too.
  • PWR and ive had a drink...

what a change. thank gawd Karl done us all a favour by fucking off. could never see that happening after the last few games.

two up top and the midfield pushing up. thought Pearce and Bauer completely controlled things at the back. Forster casky actually looks a decent player! Zyro did very well and linked up with Ajose and fosu. Aribo was brilliant. great stuff and means I won a bit on a bet I made as soon as I saw Robinson had left.

if they carry on playing like that play offs aint as far fetched as I thought.

LEE LEE LEE BOWYER!!
  • Really good performance by everyone. And it's been a while since we've been able to say that.
  • Well that was more like it! Such a transformation over last Saturday, great to be entertained and excited again.

To highlight just one player, I thought Ajose was excellent today. This is the guy who struggled a bit under Slade, and then was loaned out TWICE by Robinson who clearly didn't rate him and took him back in January presumably as he didn't think he could get anyone else in. 4-2-3-1 clearly didn't suit him anyway

Today, he was lively and worked really hard. For someone written of as just a penalty box player, he roamed and created as well, combining really well with Zyro. He deserved a goal today, hopefully that will come soon
  • Excellent performance - 2-0 flattered Plymouth. The team and the football we played were unrecognizable compared to the shambles under KR. We looked composed and saw the game out with ease.

Page and Dijksteel were both very good. Dijksteel has bags of pace and skill and if he can improve his concentration could prove to be an excellent player. Pearce and Bauer won everything today.

Fosu and Aribo were both dangerous and it was good to see Zyro/Ajose up top showing a lot of pace and movement.

Referee was awful.

Saddens me how long we were lumbered with the clown Robinson and how little he got from our players.

Good start for Bowyer - we looked a team again today. Very very happy...

• Sponsored links:

• Top six bet back on and wembley here we come.
  • Christ that Referee was bloody awful... Didnt book the Goalkeeper (I thought that sort of handball was instant Red?) and then didnt give this penalty?

Plymouth had a Free Kick in the First Half which was rubbish; Referee stood motionless for an age after it was taken almost as though he was contemplating the reasons for having them in his bet!!
    Not instead red. Laws says (for a red) denying an OBVIOUS goal scoring opportunity
  • PeterGage said:

Christ that Referee was bloody awful... Didnt book the Goalkeeper (I thought that sort of handball was instant Red?) and then didnt give this penalty?

Plymouth had a Free Kick in the First Half which was rubbish; Referee stood motionless for an age after it was taken almost as though he was contemplating the reasons for having them in his bet!!
    Not instead red. Laws says (for a red) denying an OBVIOUS goal scoring opportunity
    *instant
  • LenGlover said:

As ever good old PWR.

The temptation is to summarise today's performance in five words: The difference a formation makes.

However that does scant justice to Bowyer and Jackson who seem to have had a really positive impact on the motivation and desire of the players in the short time available to them as well as tweaking the formation.

Is the Nicky Ajose we saw today the same player as the stray mascot masquerading in his shirt that we occasionally saw blinking lost in the sunlight under Slade and Robinson? On today's evidence, given some service from both midfield and Zyro, he looked a real threat at times.

Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer had the bit of luck all managers need when Lewis Page's half volley dipped wickedly to beat Matthews in the Plymouth goal rather than continue rising to join Nicky Bailey's penalty in orbit. Lewis' next attempt at goal showed normal service had been resumed. That said note what I wrote to quote Ernie Wise: Lewis' NEXT ATTEMPT AT GOAL. How often could we write such a phrase reviewing a Robinson match throughout most of this season? Lewis Page, a left back, had more attempts on goal than the whole team often managed under Robinson.

Our second goal was a well worked team effort clinically finished with his head by Zyro. Josh Magennis would have loved such service. Zyro though grew into his role as the game progressed and that increasing confidence made him a handful for the Plymouth defence to handle throughout.

Another player who grew into his role today was Anfernee Dijksteel. Much of Plymouth's good stuff in the first half was played down his side including part of the move which culminated in Plymouth striking the woodwork in the first half. However as the game progressed Anfernee used his pace and physique to muscle his opponents off the ball and he became a real asset both in defensively and pushing forward.

This was essentially a team performance so singling out individuals is perhaps not truly representative but Fosu offers such an outlet and probably shades it as man of the match for me.

Negatives, as a Charlton fan there are always negatives, were the perennial Reeves, although I accept he tried without making much impact, and Forster-Caskey's corners which three or four times failed to beat the first defender. The rest of JFC's game was commendably efficient without really being spectacular.

In conclusion a mention for young Taylor Maloney. I noticed him walking off alone after the final whistle looking round after his brief cameo and wondered what he was thinking. Was it am I really here or was it well even though I didn't get a kick whatever else happens the book will say Taylor Maloney 0 (1) or something else?

I'm glad I made the effort today. The play offs may still be a step too far but today I watched a team that wanted to win and compete. That'll do for now.

COYR

Like your mention to Maloney as thought the same... Excellent (yet brave) touch from Bowyer to put him on at the death

Great bit of experience for him to feel that positive buzz from the crowd
  • "One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy."
  • edited March 2018
    I thought the energy Reeves gave was the glue we needed. Sort of reminded me of Bradley Pritchard when at his best in terms of how it helped the team. It allowed JFC and Aribo to shine IMO.

What is great is the belief that if they were still playing Plymouth would still be nil - how often can you think that?
  • Dazzler21 said:

"One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy."

Well I'm fuxzxg happy tonight even if you ain't