Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC staff threaten to sue Duchatelet over unpaid bonuses

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

I dont understand fully how Green did it with BHS so could be writing a very idiotic comment

Yet is there a chance that Roland could go after Staff pensions to start paying the bills?

Rick should be able to confirm but I very much doubt there is a Club controlled staff pension scheme. More likely a defined contribution scheme where contributions are paid into a third party provider's scheme.
    The club will have the lowest possible level of pension provision allowed by the law.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I dont understand fully how Green did it with BHS so could be writing a very idiotic comment

Yet is there a chance that Roland could go after Staff pensions to start paying the bills?

Rick should be able to confirm but I very much doubt there is a Club controlled staff pension scheme. More likely a defined contribution scheme where contributions are paid into a third party provider's scheme.
    The club will have the lowest possible level of pension provision allowed by the law.
    Vol au vents?
  • Options

Would love to know what Sea Parkes has to say about this. Her argument in supporting Duchatalet has always been 'he pays the bills and staff always get paid' seems that's now no longer the case.

Maybe I'll ask her.

The blame will be pinned on us... Roland wouldnt have been forced to do this had we not protested!!
  • Options

Would love to know what Sea Parkes has to say about this. Her argument in supporting Duchatalet has always been 'he pays the bills and staff always get paid' seems that's now no longer the case.

Maybe I'll ask her.

Perhaps Mr Parkes is one of those who is owed money. She may have a different view now.
  • Options
    Ready to back CARD to the hilt in any move they make next
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Of that I have no doubt!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Ready to back CARD to the hilt in any move they make next

Shame the 48-hours includes the Fans Forum as no doubt that bloke handling the takeover will be the one to make a Statement over this
  • Options
    Surely the EFL rules that distinguish between players and employees are a nonsense, and discriminatory?
  • Options
    I work for a company that cut everybody's bonus. It is shit, I can tell you and does wonders for staff morale. Unfortunately, the bonuses were non-contractual and the owner of our company just thinks how clever he is saving all that money and if we don't like it we can find another job. I work for a Roland Duchatalet-alike. He even had a scheme to buy a football club a few years ago. That club don't know how lucky they are that he didn't get his hands on them.

Needless to say, we're all still here but feeling fed up with the whole thing and contemplating alternative employment.

Unless the Charlton staff bonuses were agreed by contract I don't see that they have much recourse other than to moan about it, work to rule and show the old goat up in the press.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Missed It said:

I work for a company that cut everybody's bonus. It is shit, I can tell you and does wonders for staff morale. Unfortunately, the bonuses were non-contractual and the owner of our company just thinks how clever he is saving all that money and if we don't like it we can find another job. I work for a Roland Duchatalet-alike. He even had a scheme to buy a football club a few years ago. That club don't know how lucky they are that he didn't get his hands on them.

Needless to say, we're all still here but feeling fed up with the whole thing and contemplating alternative employment.

Unless the Charlton staff bonuses were agreed by contract I don't see that they have much recourse other than to moan about it, work to rule and show the old goat up in the press.

According to Jimmy Stone on Twitter, this affects every member of staff at The Valley and some at Sparrows Lane. It was part of a formal appraisal process and the detail is set out in an email to all staff.
  • Options
    razil said:

Surely the EFL rules that distinguish between players and employees are a nonsense, and discriminatory?

Yes they are discriminatory, but not all discrimination is unlawful.
  • Options

Whats a shame is the comments that the comms team have received on twitter for not walking out of the club or not getting on with announcing important news rather than the typical EFL adverts they're forced to run

Likes of them are no different to Solly or Jackson on the pitch by trying to keep the club running in the background!!

Same as when Big Dave was getting a fair amount of stick for staying while he did. This people need to make a living and some love Charlton so want to stay for that reason.
  • Options
    Shame that when you Google "Roland Duchbag" and "Charlton Athletic" its only the Daily Mail who have picked up on this

You'd hope that the likes of the BBC and other big media outlets would pick up on it
  • Options

Missed It said:

According to Jimmy Stone on Twitter, this affects every member of staff at The Valley and some at Sparrows Lane. It was part of a formal appraisal process and the detail is set out in an email to all staff.
    But ultimately do they have a case legally?
  • Options

Missed It said:

Bonus schemes have been written into contract/ employment terms at every company I've worked for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Missed It said:

He can say what he likes in an email. Sadly, that doesn't make it contractual.

• Options

Missed It said:

Indeed. Most places I've worked have a weasel wording in the contract to give them a way out of paying bonuses if necessary.

I've also worked somewhere where they took out a big bank loan to pay bonuses for junior staff even though the company hadn't made a profit that year. The directors went without but understood the value of looking after their staff (until they made me redundant - but that's another story!)
  • Options
    Modern day slavery, can’t we get this coming up along the bottom of sky sports?
  • Options

Missed It said:

He can say what he likes in an email. Sadly, that doesn't make it contractual.

Is that right? Something doesn’t have to be formalised into a contractual document to be binding provided the other elements of a contract are satisfied (consideration etc).

I guess it will depend what was written in these emails.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    We have received a bonus here at TfL every year for the last 15 years providing we hit our Customer Services targets. It was only ever announced in an email but this year, that bonus has quietly been pulled with no announcement whatsoever. Even the unions didn't find out until after the date the bonus value should have been announced.

There's nothing the RMT etc can do as it has never been part of our contracts.
  • Options
    emails can be contractually binding
  • Options
    se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

In terms of any action the employees affected could take, it would entirely depend on whether or not the bonus was contractual. Most bonus schemes are not and many would carry wording such as 'This bonus scheme is non-contractual and may be amended or ended at the Company's sole discretion'.

If it was contractual then the employees could bring a claim at an employment tribunal for breach of contract and or unlawful deduction of wages - the former is the more likely. No fees are involved in bringing such action, it can be a group action or taken individually by employees, and if they lost they would almost certainly not be required to pay the respondent's legal expenses.

The employees do not have to be legally represented so can avoid racking up costs. I would need far more detail but if I believed they had a valid claim and therefore a reasonable chance of success then I would be prepared to personally represent the employees on a pro bono basis.

Good man.
    A wonderful gesture sir!!

• Options

We have received a bonus here at TfL every year for the last 15 years providing we hit our Customer Services targets. It was only ever announced in an email but this year, that bonus has quietly been pulled with no announcement whatsoever. Even the unions didn't find out until after the date the bonus value should have been announced.

That's how it works. Non-contractual bonuses are never promised or advised in advance, they're just paid (or not!)

If staff at Charlton have been told in advance that they're getting a bonus dependent on targets being met, then if those targets have been met, they might be on firmer ground to take action.
  • Options

But it would be a different situation presumably had you received the email saying you were getting your bonus and then it was pulled.