Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ohhhhh Jeremy Corrrrrrbyn

Comments

• I don't remember any CL member demanding what she has said.
  • Just seen Corbyn has tabled a vote of no confidence.

Great news
  • Just seen Corbyn has tabled a vote of no confidence.

I think its a VONC in Theresa May as opposed to the government. A subtly different approach
  • holyjo said:

Just seen Corbyn has tabled a vote of no confidence.

I think its a VONC in Theresa May as opposed to the government. A subtly different approach
    And ‘May’ backfire :wink:
  • I'm sure most people in this country have no idea about the confidence vote, the government being held in contempt. They just don't like Corbyn because of his beard or something.
  • McBobbin said:

I'm sure most people in this country have no idea about the confidence vote, the government being held in contempt. They just don't like Corbyn because of his beard or something.

He’s a Gooner ... bloody glory hunter :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• To quote part of a recent speech made in the House of Commons on April 16 by Ruth Smeeth, a Jewish Labour MP. She spoke during a lengthy parliamentary session devoted to anti-Semitism, when many fine speeches were made, and at the end she received a standing ovation. Her words shocked everyone in the chamber:

Over the past two years, however, I have experienced something genuinely painful: attacks on my identity from within my own Labour family. I have been the target of a campaign of abuse, attempted bullying and intimidation from people who would dare to tell me that people like me have no place in the party of which I have been a member for over 20 years, and which I am proud to represent on these Benches. My mum was a senior trade union official; my grandad was a blacklisted steelworker who became a miner. I was born into our movement as surely as I was born into my faith. It is a movement that I have worked for, campaigned for and fought for during my entire adult life, so it was truly heart-breaking to find myself in Parliament Square just over three weeks ago, standing shoulder to shoulder with the Jewish community against the poison of anti-Semitism that is engulfing parts of my own party and wider political discourse.

If the House will indulge me, I would like to read out a small sample of what I have received on social media...

"Hang yourself you vile treacherous Zionist Tory filth. You are a cancer of humanity."

"Ruth Smeeth is a Zionist—she has no shame—and trades on the murder of Jews by Hitler—whom the Zionists betrayed."

"Ruth Smeeth must surely be travelling 1st class to Tel Aviv with all that slush. After all, she's complicit in trying to bring Corbyn down."

"First job for Jeremy Corbyn tomorrow—expel the Zionist BICOM smear hag bitch Ruth Smeeth from the Party."

"This Ruth Smeeth bitch is Britainophobic, we need to cleanse our nation of these types."

"#JC4PM Deselect Ruth Smeeth ASAP. Poke the pig—get all Zionist child killer scum out of Labour."

"You are a spy! You are evil, satanic! Leave! #Labour #Corbyn."

"Ruth you are a Zionist plant, I'm ashamed you are in Labour. Better suited to the murderous Knesset! #I Support Ken."

"Your fellow traitor Tony Blair abolished hanging for treason. Your kind need to leave before we bring it back #Smeeth Is Filth."
  • At every Masonic chapter over the last month: "We've gotta tell them Corbyn will be even worse"

"Verily, my worshipful friend"
  • To quote part of a recent speech made in the House of Commons on April 16 by Ruth Smeeth, a Jewish Labour MP. She spoke during a lengthy parliamentary session devoted to anti-Semitism, when many fine speeches were made, and at the end she received a standing ovation. Her words shocked everyone in the chamber:

Over the past two years, however, I have experienced something genuinely painful: attacks on my identity from within my own Labour family. I have been the target of a campaign of abuse, attempted bullying and intimidation from people who would dare to tell me that people like me have no place in the party of which I have been a member for over 20 years, and which I am proud to represent on these Benches. My mum was a senior trade union official; my grandad was a blacklisted steelworker who became a miner. I was born into our movement as surely as I was born into my faith. It is a movement that I have worked for, campaigned for and fought for during my entire adult life, so it was truly heart-breaking to find myself in Parliament Square just over three weeks ago, standing shoulder to shoulder with the Jewish community against the poison of anti-Semitism that is engulfing parts of my own party and wider political discourse.

If the House will indulge me, I would like to read out a small sample of what I have received on social media...

"Hang yourself you vile treacherous Zionist Tory filth. You are a cancer of humanity."

"Ruth Smeeth is a Zionist—she has no shame—and trades on the murder of Jews by Hitler—whom the Zionists betrayed."

"Ruth Smeeth must surely be travelling 1st class to Tel Aviv with all that slush. After all, she's complicit in trying to bring Corbyn down."

"First job for Jeremy Corbyn tomorrow—expel the Zionist BICOM smear hag bitch Ruth Smeeth from the Party."

"This Ruth Smeeth bitch is Britainophobic, we need to cleanse our nation of these types."

"#JC4PM Deselect Ruth Smeeth ASAP. Poke the pig—get all Zionist child killer scum out of Labour."

"Ruth you are a Zionist plant, I'm ashamed you are in Labour. Better suited to the murderous Knesset! #I Support Ken."

"Your fellow traitor Tony Blair abolished hanging for treason. Your kind need to leave before we bring it back #Smeeth Is Filth."

Nobody is born in to faith. It is bestowed/forced upon children at birth.

Indoctrination, if you will.

Some would even go as far as to say that it's a socially acceptable form of child abuse.
    Being Jewish is a lot deeper than just practising Judaism. You’re born into a culture and way of life, just like being born in England you’re gonna love roast dinners, fry ups and real ale. Jewishness, like the colour of your skin, is not simply something you can abandon like faith.

For instance, you may not be Christian, but I’m sure you still celebrate Christmas and Easter?

There are many secular Jews in this country.
  • edited December 2018
    Clearly everyone who wrote those quotes is a nutcase and a bigot. Corbyn really has tried to distance himself from their rhetoric but he could do more, I admit.

I've spent the last couple of days in Bury St Edmunds. One thing that you'll notice around the museums and churches is that in 1190 there was a massacre of 54 Jews in the town. It's a violence that has far deeper roots in this country than the Holocaust. We should deplore it and remember it. And we should not tolerate it. BUT - you can't convince me that Corbyn himself would stand for anything like it.

Whether he'd be enabling antisemitic goons is another matter - albeit one for the police service and individual Labour councils to handle
  • Leuth said:

Clearly everyone who wrote those quotes is a nutcase and a bigot. Corbyn really has tried to distance himself from their rhetoric but he could do more, I admit.

I've spent the last couple of days in Bury St Edmunds. One thing that you'll notice around the museums and churches is that in 1190 there was a massacre of 54 Jews in the town. It's a violence that has far deeper roots in this country than the Holocaust. We should deplore it and remember it. And we should not tolerate it. BUT - you can't convince me that Corbyn himself would stand for anything like it.

Whether he'd be enabling antisemitic goons is another matter - albeit one for the police service and individual Labour councils to handle

And yet here we are.

It’s like saying trump isn’t a racist, when institutional violence against African Americans has gone up and rhetoric on immigrants has been ramped up.

“But give me an example of when trump said/did anything racist”.

The guy is asleep at the wheel, or driving his supporters in that direction.

Like you, who refuse to believe with his exceptional anti racism background that Corbyn would stand for any anti semitism, I refuse to believe that some one with his anti racism background can be so tone deaf to the dog whistles of anti semitism of his closest allies.
  • bobmunro said:

To quote part of a recent speech made in the House of Commons on April 16 by Ruth Smeeth, a Jewish Labour MP. She spoke during a lengthy parliamentary session devoted to anti-Semitism, when many fine speeches were made, and at the end she received a standing ovation. Her words shocked everyone in the chamber:

Some would even go as far as to say that it's a socially acceptable form of child abuse.
    Being Jewish is a lot deeper than just practising Judaism. You’re born into a culture and way of life, just like being born in England you’re gonna love roast dinners, fry ups and real ale. Jewishness, like the colour of your skin, is not simply something you can abandon like faith.

For instance, you may not be Christian, but I’m sure you still celebrate Christmas and Easter?

What if a child born of two Jewish parents was adopted at birth by two atheists. Would they still be Jewish? If being Jewish is a race then I would say yes, if Judaism is just a religion (i.e. a doctrined way of life) then I would say no.

Also, I enjoy Christmas like no other time of the year - family, friends, giving (and receiving!), how good it makes me feel. I don't celebrate the nativity as I have no faith, and a lot of what are now considered Christmas traditions have nothing to do with the birth of Christ - they have Pagan origins.
    Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

Agree with the highlighted bit.

Re being forced to be Jewish from birth being like being born in England, I couldn't disagree more. It's a poor analogy as it's not comparable.

As is the likening of being Jewish to that of the colour of your skin.

Nobody is born religious.
  • edited December 2018
    This is a passionate piece, some might call it a rant, talking about examples of what the writer perceives anti semitism in Labour. The piece absolutely does not describe Corbyn as a friend of terrorists, or an anti semite, but laments examples of unwanted behaviour in corners of the Labour party, which in a party of 500,000 members is inevitable in terms of numbers.
    Not an article that proves anything against Corbyn.

Agree with the highlighted bit.

Re being forced to be Jewish from birth being like being born in England, I couldn't disagree more. It's a poor analogy as it's not comparable.

As is the likening of being Jewish to that of the colour of your skin.

Nobody is born religious.
    Well, i would actually agree, considering the english haven't suffered thousands of years of persecution and isolation in society that jews have suffered.

But jewishness is as unchangeable as the colour of your skin, much like you don't choose your family and the culture you are born into. Being jewish is not a choice, as I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't choose it.

Here's an article on the subject by David Baddiel (and relevant to this thread)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/david-baddiel-am-i-stinking-vermin-or-am-i-running-the-world-the-racists-think-its-both-mqsk3mmkv

No surprise that the internet is chite.
    Personally I don't have twitter.
    From a distance and an admitted position of ignorance Twitter seems a platform for morons and liars...Trump for example.
  • seth plum said:

To quote part of a recent speech made in the House of Commons on April 16 by Ruth Smeeth, a Jewish Labour MP. She spoke during a lengthy parliamentary session devoted to anti-Semitism, when many fine speeches were made, and at the end she received a standing ovation. Her words shocked everyone in the chamber:

From a distance and an admitted position of ignorance Twitter seems a platform for morons and liars...Trump for example.
    who isn't a racist... since he hasn't said or done anything racist and says he doesn't like racism.

I was born in Kent but am not keen on fry ups or roast dinners.
  • seth plum said:

I was born in Kent but am not keen on fry ups or roast dinners.
    Good for you.
  • bobmunro said:

What if a child born of two Jewish parents was adopted at birth by two atheists. Would they still be Jewish? If being Jewish is a race then I would say yes, if Judaism is just a religion (i.e. a doctrined way of life) then I would say no.

Also, I enjoy Christmas like no other time of the year - family, friends, giving (and receiving!), how good it makes me feel. I don't celebrate the nativity as I have no faith, and a lot of what are now considered Christmas traditions have nothing to do with the birth of Christ - they have Pagan origins.
    In the eyes of the Chief Rabbi, yes and in the eyes of the Nazi race laws, yes.

The individual may well not self-identify as Jewish, as is their right.

Like you Bob, I'm an atheist and celebrate Christmas and enjoy it. I just leave out the religious bits.
  • bobmunro said:

In the eyes of the Chief Rabbi, yes and in the eyes of the Nazi race laws, yes.

The individual may well not self-identify as Jewish, as is their right.

Like you Bob, I'm an atheist and celebrate Christmas and enjoy it. I just leave out the religious bits.
    Exactly. Saying jewishness is a choice.. please go tell that to racists and nazis.
  • seth plum said:

who isn't a racist... since he hasn't said or done anything racist and says he doesn't like racism.
    I said morons and liars.
    I didn't actually say racist did I?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!