Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Believe he is just training with us for fitness, not for a contract 
    Doubt that, as he didn’t play Williams the other day for that reason 

• Do the fans remember the cluster of games where Callum scored and looked good or the majority when he look weak with no football brain.  
    He has been released by a struggling Championship side but I think it's good that he is training with Cafc where hopefully he can get fit and get a deal somewhere.

If Lee Bowyer believes he can do a job for Cafc and his wages are lowish then stranger things have happened.

• Time for me to go to bed
  • Fosu replacement?
    In as far as you need to replace an unwanted round peg in a square hole
  • Some of Harriots best games for us came towards the end of Riga's first season when he played more as a second striker off Sordell. Not particularly keen to resign him personally, although he was better than some will give him credit for, but I do think he could play in our system.
  • Reading bowyers comments. Pratley is Pearce’s cover until he sorts out new striker and midfielder and he sees what budget he has left. If only bowyer could get some of that money from the Lookman deal if it goes through but probably won’t. 
  • Oztumer played and scored in Bolton's friendly last night. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A dash of Oxo is obviously the missing ingredient!
  • edited July 2019
    We already have the squad players in midfield(Pratley, Lapslie, Morgan) so I don’t get how Harriott would be a good addition.  We need starters.
  • Harriott wouldn't be the worst addition (squad player), however like Fosu he doesn't really suit how we set up to play. Unless we play 3412 / 343 but I don't see it, would rather Fosu. Still we need bodies so i will just trust Bowyer and co, midfield is  the weakest area at present so we need a few in (not really a winger imo) DM/ CM/ CAM
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Roland won’t give Bowyer any but hopefully it moves us a step closer to a sale. 
    I wonder if Lee will be tempted to ask for some of the funds......surely he’d be perfectly entitled to drop a hint at the very least.
  • Roland won’t give Bowyer any but hopefully it moves us a step closer to a sale. 
    I wonder if Lee will be tempted to ask for some of the funds......surely he’d be perfectly entitled to drop a hint at the very least.
    I imagine when Bowyer was negotiating his contract with RD, such issues would have come up as Lookman being sold was definitely a possibility
  • Roland won’t give Bowyer any but hopefully it moves us a step closer to a sale. 
    I imagine when Bowyer was negotiating his contract with RD, such issues would have come up as Lookman being sold was definitely a possibility
    I’d like to think so......but I doubt they got into such in depth discussions on a telephone conversation.
    I’d like to think so......but I doubt they got into such in depth discussions on a telephone conversation.
    The contract talks had been going for a while before then though
  • if LB does get a slice of the Lookman money there is no way he will mention it but continue pleading poverty while negotiating with agents and not release news of the new signing until just before the season starts.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Beardface said:
    Redrobo said:
    Budget starting to bite methinks. I really don’t mean to disrespect Harriot but if he’s being considered then we are in big bother.
    Not at all. He works hard and will fit our squad. He knows the club and is still quite young. He will be much better as part of a three IMO.

As others have said, our loan signings will define our season.
    I agree, happy he's back training with us. LB gets to have a look at him, he knows the club, free transfer, he should be cheap on wages given his injury record, hopefully has something to prove, can play in more than one position (key in a small squad), and has more natural talent than a lot of our squad. It's a no brainer to have a look at him in pre-season and if he's good enough for LB and JJ then I'll trust their judgment on this one. 
    This. Reading what Reading fans are saying, they rated him but was injury prone. No harm at all in looking and assessing. He offers something we don’t have which is important and we are struggling for attacking left footers. End of the day, if Bowyer and Gallen say he’s good enough I’ll trust them on that. If he’s not, then we’ve lost nothing for looking.
    What, like you mean to use Pre Season friendlies for experimenting and checking players fitness?

Daft idea that, surely we should win every game against lower opposition.
  • Harriott doesn't fit last season's 2 preferred systems. But doesn't mean Bowyer isn't looking at other shapes/formations, in a season where we won't be favourites in too many games.

If he wants to set up more defensively, he could deploy wide men, with one up top. Harriott could do the job on the left, and from players we have at the club now, Taylor could do a good job on the right.
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Scoham said:
    Magennis at his best was excellent and at his worse was terrible. I would like the thought of him playing with Taylor. I think that combo would be a major problem for defenders but appreciate it is very unlikely.
    Bowyer clearly didn’t rate Magennis, never going to happen. I’m sure we can find better strikers.
    Not sure why there’s such an obsession with bringing back ex players, especially with those as ineffective as Magennis. Never known a man as tall as him to lose so many aerial challenges.
    Is there an obsession? If an ex player is available and good enough, he should be discussed. 

Bar the odd exception for nostalgia, most of the suggestions have been reasonable IMO (Magennis, Cousins etc). 

Are you unhappy we have resigned Amos and Purrington then? Don't want Williams or Oztumer? 
    I would say that claiming Purrington and Williams are ex players is stretching it.

As for Magennis being good enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Fair point it is, but what about Amos and Oztumer? 

And I am not desperate to sign Magennis but think we could do worse. My point was that each player should be judged on merit, it shouldn't be an issue where they have played previously. 
    Very pleased with Amos, though he was a loanee rather than one we let go if I'm allowed to be pedantic. Oztumer I'd be happy with, but would prefer Williams.

You can be pedantic if you wish. That’s just weirder though, your happy to resign players that we had on loan but not those who were with us permanently. 

The club don't choose to let loan players go, that's just the nature of a loan - once it's done, the player goes back. How often have we loaned a player from a division above and then signed them on a permanent deal? I'd take Alex Song back in a heartbeat but I don't feel the same about players we've sold/released because for the most part (Roland's tenure is a bit different), they have been let go for a reason.
  • Not one to rubbish a player but please not Harriott. A likeable lad who undoubtedly tried hard but not one I’d pursue. Hopefully it’s a case of an old club doing him a favour to get fit, which I’d fully support.