Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Harriott has friends amongst the players and maybe a ‘soft spot’ for Charlton. Saw him several times last season in the Millenium lounge.  Not sure how he would fit into LB’s preferred formation or plans but trust LB to do the right thing.
  • The only formation I can see Harriott fitting in is a 3-5-2, but even then I’d much rather have Page or Purrington left wing.
  • edited July 2019
    The only formation I can see Harriott fitting in is a 3-5-2, but even then I’d much rather have Page or Purrington left wing.
    What about 4-3-3... Harriott and Taylor on the flanks with Aneke through the middle

Wasnt that the role Harriott played in the U23s with Kennedy and Grant?
  • The only formation I can see Harriott fitting in is a 3-5-2, but even then I’d much rather have Page or Purrington left wing.
    What about 4-3-3... Harriott and Taylor on the flanks with Aneke through the middle

Taylor has to be down the middle of any 433 he’d be wasted wide, I guess that’s might work not sure I can bowyer going for that system though not after last season worked so well.

Taylor has to be down the middle of any 433 he’d be wasted wide, I guess that’s might work not sure I can bowyer going for that system though not after last season worked so well.
    Give the fact he constantly drifted wide throughout last season...? ;)
  • Fosu replacement?
    A poor replacement. Like Parker for Grant. 
    Not at all. Harriott was decent for us at times and had a couple of good seasons. Fosu had one good season and then seemed to not break back into the side. 
  • cafc-west said:
    Harriott has friends amongst the players and maybe a ‘soft spot’ for Charlton. Saw him several times last season in the Millenium lounge.  Not sure how he would fit into LB’s preferred formation or plans but trust LB to do the right thing.
    No time for sentiment in the Championship, we need players of a decent standard to help us to compete and Harriott is definitely not one of them IMHO!
  • Sponsored links:

The amount of goals he scored as a CF it would be plain daft to play him out wide. 
  • clive said:
    Interesting article in todays 'Sun',Paul Konchesky now West Ham's loan manager,perhaps he can some influence with the Josh Cullen situation.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9520528/chelsea-stamford-bridge-transfer-speed-dating/
    Shame it came from the Sun; wonder if Gallen was there
  • Perhaps he's our best worst option.

The amount of goals he scored as a CF it would be plain daft to play him out wide. 
    45 Games
    17 Regular goals
    8 Penalties
    13 Assists

• edited July 2019
    If you think Bowyer will take last years prized asset, player of the season and arguably the best player in the entire league and then play him in a completely different position you’re way off gentlemen.  

Like when Gerrard played left wing for England in one tournament. 
  • If you think Bowyer will take last years prized asset, player of the season and arguably the best player in the entire league and then play him in a completely different position you’re way off gentlemen.  

Its not a different position though is it

Bowyer's formations werent rigid either with players sticking to one area of the pitch, instead they were forever swapping making it difficult to be marked

i.e. One minute you'd have Taylor dropping wide, the next minute he'll be up the middle with Harriott or Aneke supplying the cross

Of course the formation might not even be in Bowyer's thoughts but if Harriott does join or stick around longer it might be something worth trying as thats what Friendlies are there for
  • Significant... 25% of profit from £8M sale price to £22M would be £3.5M, imagine that being given to Bowyer/Gallen.  Sadly i suspect they will be lucky to get 10% to spend and only on someone aged no more than 21 from lower leagues, still even that would be an improvement on where we are now.
    That could break us even. Imagine the size of Rollys arm muscles if we stayed up and broke even/made profit?!
  • Do the fans remember the cluster of games where Callum scored and looked good or the majority when he look weak with no football brain.  
    He has been released by a struggling Championship side but I think it's good that he is training with Cafc where hopefully he can get fit and get a deal somewhere.

If Lee Bowyer believes he can do a job for Cafc and his wages are lowish then stranger things have happened.

Finished the season strongly when Riga kept us up, only to start the next on the bench under Peters when he had momentum to push on.
  • edited July 2019
    If you think Bowyer will take last years prized asset, player of the season and arguably the best player in the entire league and then play him in a completely different position you’re way off gentlemen.  

Bowyer's formations werent rigid either with players sticking to one area of the pitch, instead they were forever swapping making it difficult to be marked

i.e. One minute you'd have Taylor dropping wide, the next minute he'll be up the middle with Harriott or Aneke supplying the cross

Of course the formation might not even be in Bowyer's thoughts but if Harriott does join or stick around longer it might be something worth trying as thats what Friendlies are there for
    You build your team around your best players.  Where they can be most affective, which is clearly Taylor down the middle, the fact he drifts is irrelevant, he’s tried and proven as a centre forward.

I think Bowyer is looking at Harriott because it would suit our minuscule budget.  If he does have a place in the team he will have to fit into a position that suits bowyer not one that suits Harriott I would guess.
  • If you think Bowyer will take last years prized asset, player of the season and arguably the best player in the entire league and then play him in a completely different position you’re way off gentlemen.  

You build your team around your best players.  Where they can be most affective, which is clearly Taylor down the middle, the fact he drifts is irrelevant, he’s tried and proven as a centre forward.

I think Bowyer is looking at Harriott because it would suit our minuscule budget.  If he does have a place in the team he will have to fit into a position that suits bowyer not one that suits Harriott I would guess.
    Yeah or we could have a squad which doesn’t rely on one formation...
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    Interesting article in todays 'Sun',Paul Konchesky now West Ham's loan manager,perhaps he can some some influence with the Josh Cullen situation.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9520528/chelsea-stamford-bridge-transfer-speed-dating/
    Does he wear a mask and ride a horse called Silver? Well he is the loan arranger!!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Fosu replacement?
    A poor replacement. Like Parker for Grant. 
    Not at all. Harriott was decent for us at times and had a couple of good seasons. Fosu had one good season and then seemed to not break back into the side. 
    Comparing Harriot with either 
    Fosu
    Marshall or 
    Reeves 
    Would be a fair comparison. 
    The problem is all three were deemed to be not good enough by Bowyer and released. 

Yeah or we could have a squad which doesn’t rely on one formation...
    My point is Taylor doesn’t play out wide...
  • We need far more players, Harriott would probably take a bit of a discount to come back it seems a pretty straightforward depth signing really. He had some very good performances in the Championship which is something under his belt which most of our squad dont have. There aren't many wingers who aren't Inconsistent.

We aren't going to play a diamond until the end of time so we need to have some players capable of playing wide in the squad. 
  • Sage said:
    Goodness me, are people really arguing about where Taylor plays?

He is a striker, he played up front. In a diamond formation which we played for the vast amount of last season, both strikers jobs were to occupy the space between the centre-back and each full-back. This is why we saw so many goals from Taylor and Grant playing a low cross to one another to score, Vetokele then done it very effectively too in some games after Grant left, they effectively got into those positions for the other player to get in between the centre-backs and score.

It allowed us to overload in midfield and also have an outlet out wide when we needed to. It dragged the defenders out of position too as they didn’t know whether to come out and pick them up or to stay, the pace and cleverness of our midfield and Grant/Vetokele was then able to expose that space that had been created.

Football is not rigid, positions are not rigid, so let’s quit the arguments and let Bowyer play to our strengths.
    Very well put. Just to add to your post it also allowed whoever was at the tip of the diamond to get into the box which Aribo was the best at doing. Reeves also improved on this towards the end.