Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Grapevine, much as I admire your posts, there is as much chance of Gallen being Financial Controller as Bowyer cleaning the toilets.
  • edited July 2019
    We have a full 18, but it's a very imbalanced squad at the moment as we have a full number of defensive options but very little in attack and midfield, unless you include kids or triallists like Harriott
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    We surely have to make 1/2 signings by the end of the day? 
    Doubt it.

Still 13 days to go. Expect one more permanent signing sooner then four or five loans on 8 August.
    I've heard we are very very busy today
    Doing what??
  • The lack of time for Lyle to generate a strike partnership with another striker worries me too. Tomorrow would have been a great opportunity against a decent team, but instead they will have to learn in the league itself
    Couldn't agree more. Once the season starts, the amount of training that involves being able to build a relationship is next to nothing. Everything is about preparation, recovery, set-pieces, small sided games etc. And then you have games that come round very quickly.

It's going to be difficult but I think that Taylor has the ability to bring out the best in those around him, so we have to just wait and see. But I do completely agree with you. 
  • bobcafc7 said:
    Sage said:
    As @jac52 pointed out, with no further departures and additions to the team (which won't happen, we will have players in before Blackburn away) to give us the best chance of getting a result, we need to be solid.

Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Dijksteel Pratley Forster-Caskey Purrington
    Aneke Williams
    Taylor

Amos, Solly, Oshilaja, Lapslie, Morgan, Wiredu, Bonne

How weak is that midfield and attack in that 18? It wouldn't even be competitive enough in League One. It shows we really need a lot of work yet before we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Only the midfield is weaker than last season all other positions are stronger, so can’t see how you can say it wouldn’t even be competitive in league one, we came 3rd with Parker up front.
    Defence isn’t stronger either . We’ve gone up a division and lost our one centre half who was genuinely definitely up to playing in this division 
  • edited July 2019

HG - I think there is a difference of opinion over the terminology.

Who do you think is structuring and agreeing the contracts within a defined budget?

Who do you think will be referring financial proposals re players contracts to Duchatelet?

I am not suggesting he is the CFO.

• edited July 2019
    Only gossip I’ve got from this evenings work taking the MK Dons to Northampton is Ben Reeves was on the coach and Chuks Aneke should do well with us in Championship. Can’t be bad. 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    We surely have to make 1/2 signings by the end of the day? 
    Doubt it.

Still 13 days to go. Expect one more permanent signing sooner then four or five loans on 8 August.
    I've heard we are very very busy today
    Doing what??
    I'm itching to share but I can't, if I could I would.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    What price we don’t have a full bench at Blackburn like last season don’t no if you can bet on this 
    No chance of that happening IMO

Phillips
    Dijksteel Lockyer Pearce Sarr Purrington
    Pratley Williams 
    Aneke
    Bonne Taylor

Amos Oshilaja Solly Morgan Lapslie Forster-Caskey Wiredu 

That's with zero signings in 8 days
    Swap Bonne for JFC IMO for an away game in the Champ.....
    That's why I went with the back 5, I'd argue it should be JFC in for Sarr or Pearce and the diamond midfield with Bonne and Taylor up top, but I feel *if* we didn't get anyone in we'd go for the back 3 and wingbacks
    Bonne was a national league striker last year - we need to give him time. Can’t be starting with him in the Championship yet.
    So out of the current squad who would you start up front with? 
    For away at Blackburn? Aneke just off Taylor.... if we went into it with no additions then we will be playing for a draw. Get some better players in (ie a midfield) then we can look at other options 
    Good point, would like to see Aneke as far forward as possible in any formation
  • On twitter from West Ham employee that Cullen been given the option to say and fight for a place with West Ham 
  • edited July 2019
    On twitter from West Ham employee that Cullen been given the option to say and fight for a place with West Ham 
    All well and good but West Ham must announce a 25 man squad. No ifs no buts. Cullen individually doesn’t have that much option. He’s either in or out.
  • Unless they've told Cullen he's effectively number 25 in the squad, won't be starting, won't provide first choice backup and will only sit on the bench if there are injuries and suspensions to then try to force his way into the team.

Could be that's the offer made, take it or leave again.
  • edited July 2019
    Grapevine, the answer to your question is HR, hopefully with some legal training, which worryingly SG does not have. Where is Katrein when you need her?

Job of the FC is to administer RDs paltry budget, of say £10m, and as we sign players, advise SG/LB how much is left in the kitty. He will have to explain to RD why we are not meeting the budget because, as an under-resourced side flirting with relegation our revenue is diluted by no walk ins on match day, and stay away STH not buying add ons. Doubt SG knows a debit from a credit.
  • @ForeverAddickted curious why the LOL?
    Laughing at West Ham for treating him that way
    Laughing at West Ham for treating him that way
    Fair enough, thanks for clarifying. It's possible though if you have two players for each position like Bowyer and a third choice keeper this can account for 23 players and a couple of fringe players which may include Cullen but I agree Cullen would be far better off with us playing week in week out than being the 25th man of the squad.
  • I don't disagree HG who do you thinks is fulfilling the function you describe?
  • edited July 2019
  • Sponsored links:

• A frustrating week no doubt. It was clear that the intention was to bring a couple in ahead of tomorrow and that’s clearly not happened 
  • A frustrating week no doubt. It was clear that the intention was to bring a couple in ahead of tomorrow and that’s clearly not happened 
    Yet.
  • Sage said:
    bobcafc7 said:
    Sage said:
    As @jac52 pointed out, with no further departures and additions to the team (which won't happen, we will have players in before Blackburn away) to give us the best chance of getting a result, we need to be solid.

Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Dijksteel Pratley Forster-Caskey Purrington
    Aneke Williams
    Taylor

Amos, Solly, Oshilaja, Lapslie, Morgan, Wiredu, Bonne

How weak is that midfield and attack in that 18? It wouldn't even be competitive enough in League One. It shows we really need a lot of work yet before we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Only the midfield is weaker than last season all other positions are stronger, so can’t see how you can say it wouldn’t even be competitive in league one, we came 3rd with Parker up front.
    Because the midfield especially is ridiculously weak in comparison to last season. Stikers too other than Taylor, who although will be fine because he has the attributes to be, still has never played at this level before.

Pratley is an older midfielder who has previously struggled in recent seasons in the Championship and couldn't hold down a place in League One, albeit was extremely valuable at the end and in the play-offs.

Forster-Caskey has just had a year out with an injury that could have ended his career. He hasn't played competitive football for what will be over 15 months when he plays in August.

Aneke was playing in League Two last season and albeit scored a lot of goals and done well, he has never played in the Championship.

Williams is a classy player but has an unfortunate record of injuries. If he can stay fit, he does have the potential to be one of the most influential players in the division. I really do believe that.

Lapslie had a full year of being involved in the first team last season but he was never a player who was going to play regularly or hold down a place in a team looking for promotion, any other club would be looking to loan him out and get him first team experience in League One this season.

Morgan barely played for us, and yes when he did he was very good in possession and Bowyer knows he has that quality. However, he has specifically said that his game out of possession is not good enough and will be hoping to send him out on loan next season.

Wiredu played for Bromley in the National League last season and although he done okay, he didn't set the division alight. Again, another young player of which we cannot be expect him to be apart of a Championship campaign. He could well be, but it wouldn't be fair to expect that.

Bonne played and scored regularly in the National League last season and the season before that with Leyton Orient. However, Bowyer recognises that it's a huge jump up to the Championship especially one for a player who is not necessarily strong.

This is without even thinking of us losing Cullen, Bielik and Aribo. Without the squad depth of players like Reeves. Yes we might have had Parker, but we also had Vetokele and we also had Grant before he was sold. As things stand, the only striker we can rely on is Taylor who has not played at this level before in his career. The midfield explains itself as I've said above.

I'll say it again, we are ridiculously weak in midfield and attack for a team who is going into the Championship and hoping to be able to compete and survive. We will get there, I have no doubt and all faith in Bowyer and Gallen, but lets not kid ourselves because other than the defence and goalkeepers, it's looking rather grim.
    @Sage with the longest post on CL where I have agreed with every single word.... well except the “We will get there” bit which I hope is true but not confident.  Our squad looks very weak for the Championship and we are all taking for granted we get 5 loanees in as good as Beilik and Cullen last year.  It was only a couple of years ago where the likes of Dean Parrett were evidence to many on here that loanees were a complete and utter waste of time.
  • No rumours again but whilst watching Northampton V MK Dons they’ve a couple good players who look handy. League 2 level though. Harry Smith & Reece Hall-Johnson. Alan McCormack is playing for the Cobblers. 
  • The reason we got there last season was Bowyer held out and persuaded big clubs to subsidise excellent players to play for us. It is what you have to do when you have a twat of an owner. But it isn't easy. These clubs don't care about us and you need a bit of luck to land a Cullen or a Bielik, but if anybody can pull out the rabbits it is Bowyer.

But all of the options can fail close to the finishing line and we will be completely buggered. It is Roland's Charlton. January was a case in point. Bowyer is heaven sent as nobody else I can think of that would be our manager could turn the mad shit's mismanagement into something good. But even Bowyer will need a lot of luck. Maybe we used that up last season. 

• I'm genuinely not concerned at this stage. I have complete faith in bowyer and co, I honestly think these boys have unbelievable character and they play for each other, which I have to say has been great to see. The draw for any player coming in seems to be the idea of working under bow. He has yet to give us a reason to be concerned. In Bowyer and gallen I trust.
  • Nothing announced. Not nothing completed. Ny dream can't be a lie.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    I'm genuinely not concerned at this stage. I have complete faith in bowyer and co, I honestly think these boys have unbelievable character and they play for each other, which I have to say has been great to see. The draw for any player coming in seems to be the idea of working under bow. He has yet to give us a reason to be concerned. In Bowyer and gallen I trust.
    My concern is the 'constant' hints in interviews that we have the lowest budget in The Championship and cant even compete with League 1 clubs....he knows we are short of quality and, despite the fact I think he is a fantastic manager, even he cant continually perform miracles....and he knows that.
  •  It was only a couple of years ago where the likes of Dean Parrett were evidence to many on here that loanees were a complete and utter waste of time.
    Neither Chris Powell and Phil Parkinson had much success with loanees. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, "to borrow a player like Cullen is extraordinarily fortunate, to borrow both Cullen and Bielik is a near friggin' miracle". And one we cannot expect to repeat.