Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Just hoping there are three worse teams than us...

• Just hoping there are three worse teams than us...

I think our biggest, possibly only hope is 3 teams failing ffp or whatever they call it and getting point deductions 
  • I think we will do all right this season. Call me an optimist but so far we have picked up some gems from League 1 and 2 can they step up only time will tell but I think every one of them will.

My last comment on here was me saying i think Johnny Williams would sign i said he was happy and will never get his palace wages again.

I struck it lucky with that comment so my next is to say we will have some strong loans coming in right after the premiership squad lists are released.
  • Sadly losing aribo has hit us hard. If we still had him leading our midfield I think we’d all feel pretty confident, despite losing Cullen and bielik. He was the lynchpin really - turning defence into attack. 
  • Bow,SG and JJ are really up against it arent they. So demeaning to literally have agents laughing at them when told what we are offering wages wise. The aim this season is to finish outside the bottom 3 and if we do then what a fantastic job the management would have done. That arse clown in belgium wouldnt know a good thing if it came up and kicked his yellow teeth in.
    Quite a smart move by LB when you think k about it. Negotiations on deals and wages are just that, negotiations. Each side sets the bar high or low accordingly and aim to reach a compromise that both sides a
    can agree to. LB has sent out a low bar with a ‘it’s not me, it’s the owner’ message. Agents may well be laughing but LB has the upper hand in that come deadline day if the agent doesn’t get anything done he doesn’t get commission on the deal. A low commission is going to look a lot better than no commission as each day goes by this week. The last laugh will be LB’s.
  • Bow,SG and JJ are really up against it arent they. So demeaning to literally have agents laughing at them when told what we are offering wages wise. The aim this season is to finish outside the bottom 3 and if we do then what a fantastic job the management would have done. That arse clown in belgium wouldnt know a good thing if it came up and kicked his yellow teeth in.
    Quite a smart move by LB when you think k about it. Negotiations on deals and wages are just that, negotiations. Each side sets the bar high or low accordingly and aim to reach a compromise that both sides a
    can agree to. LB has sent out a low bar with a ‘it’s not me, it’s the owner’ message. Agents may well be laughing but LB has the upper hand in that come deadline day if the agent doesn’t get anything done he doesn’t get commission on the deal. A low commission is going to look a lot better than no commission as each day goes by this week. The last laugh will be LB’s.
    Please tell me you sell whatever you have been taking? 
  • Would like some physicality in the centre of defence - Don't think we've replaced Paddy Bauer yet.
    To me ,at the moment, the squad is mid table L1.  Was disappointed when we let Fosu and Reeves go and that feeling is now amplified.  

• se9addick said:
    vff said:
    se9addick said:
    Pinning all of our hopes on some hypothetical, completely unknown loan signings is a terrible way to be going into the season.
    I agree but things looked pretty grim at the start of last season when Charlton couldn’t fill the subs bench. 
    This is a much, much tougher league 
    Different expectations though. In L1 we are a big fish, expected to challenge near the top. This season we're up against big clubs with big budgets, 4th bottom will be cause for celebration...
  • Would like some physicality in the centre of defence - Don't think we've replaced Paddy Bauer yet.
    To me ,at the moment, the squad is mid table L1.  Was disappointed when we let Fosu and Reeves go and that feeling is now amplified.  

We are not going to be signing anymore defenders.

Fosu and Reeves? Letting them go was justified, hardly a loss. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Would like some physicality in the centre of defence - Don't think we've replaced Paddy Bauer yet.

Reeves is better than what we have now in midfield. In a diamond of Pratley, JFC, Morgan and Williams I’d start Reeves over Morgan
  • Just left Vimy Ridge on our way back home. 175 new posts on this thread. Not a single rumour. Worrying.
  • edited July 2019
    As it stands, there is no way we will escape relegation. The question is what Bowyer can do between now and the closing of the window to change that. Th eteam that started last season wasn't going to get us promoted and Bowyer managed to change that so if anybody can, he can. But it is extremely difficult, other clubs with better resources than us will be eyeing the same players.

Reeves is better than what we have now in midfield. In a diamond of Pratley, JFC, Morgan and Williams I’d start Reeves over Morgan
    I was actually a fan of Reeves but he had enough chances and showed glimpses of quality at best. He spent a lot of time injured and is a League 1 player. Morgan is raw but I would still take him over Reeves, although I hope Bowyer gets the signings he wants and he’s allowed to go on loan. 
  • I suppose it might be a good idea to start planning now for the 20-21 season in league one without Lyle Taylor and Lee Bowyer.
    Over to you CEO....oh hang on....
    Yes, but I’ll probably laugh at whatever you say you can afford to pay...
  • Links us with Marquis, he wants to come back down south, then says he’ll cost at least £1m...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7294513/Portsmouth-Charlton-chase-Doncaster-Rovers-striker-John-Marquis.html
  • edited July 2019
    Bow,SG and JJ are really up against it arent they. So demeaning to literally have agents laughing at them when told what we are offering wages wise. The aim this season is to finish outside the bottom 3 and if we do then what a fantastic job the management would have done. That arse clown in belgium wouldnt know a good thing if it came up and kicked his yellow teeth in.
    Yes, but I’ll probably laugh at whatever you say you can afford to pay...
    Roland, is that you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Links us with Marquis, he wants to come back down south, then says he’ll cost at least £1m...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7294513/Portsmouth-Charlton-chase-Doncaster-Rovers-striker-John-Marquis.html
    If Roland were to spend £1m Id prefer it go on trying to get Bielik and Cullen back with a few other loans rather than wasting it on one player
    If he spends 1m on a player I’d be devastated because it means the old prick is staying for the foreseeable surely.
  • and he's in his prime
  • DOUCHER said:
    i'd be well pleased if we got marquis - he fits bowyer's hard working player profile, he scores goals and he's a much better player now than when he left millwall 
    If bowyers quotes earlier in pre season are correct then it’s unlikely we would spend a million on a 27 year old.
    young players with potential resale value.
    id take him all day long to be honest.
    reckon Portsmouth will get him though.
  • CafcSCP said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i'd be well pleased if we got marquis - he fits bowyer's hard working player profile, he scores goals and he's a much better player now than when he left millwall 
    If bowyers quotes earlier in pre season are correct then it’s unlikely we would spend a million on a 27 year old.
    true but maybe rd has adjusted our plans due to the fact we keep missing out on players? i'm only guessing  
  • Guy I spoke to yesterday said we were 66-1 at the bookies for promotion, I wonder if they should be more like 1001-1?
  • Two midfielders as good or better than Cullen and Bielik would lift the clouds for starters.
  • Personally I’d be pleased with Marquis 
    Bowyer won’t have £1m to spend though. 
    £500k and Morgan on loan for the season? 
  • Valley11 said:
    Personally I’d be pleased with Marquis 
    Bowyer won’t have £1m to spend though. 
    £500k and Morgan on loan for the season? 
    Regardless of any deals I think Doncaster would be a very good place for Morgan to go on loan if they play to a style like what they did under McCann

Would be a good replacement for Herbie Kane for them
  • edited July 2019
    CafcSCP said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Yes I remember the same quotes. With strikers though the rules probably adjust a bit on what Bowyer said.

No half decent striker unless out of contract goes for free. While I highly doubt RD would spend £1m on Marquis he could probably hold his value for a couple of years even only having an average year or two with us. I don't see it happening but I wouldn't rule it out either.