Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Hang his head yes given events over the last few years. But I don' think that was such a ridiculous thing to say at that time. 
  • seth plum said:
    Bailey said:
    What's the opinion on Wiredu ? Might be thrown in quicker than expected.
    I have seen him a few times, but in coming through i have not seen him used as a right back, or even a defender to be honest.
    When you look at last season's Dijksteel thread, a common theme if that he's not a natural RB, struggles to get forward effectively, doesn't cross well etc Indeed the same was said of Purrington on the other side

Both massively improved towards the end of the season though, so I wouldn't rule out players being used "out of position" and being much better than expected with good coaching
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    2 questions if I may to the panel. 

First is Chris Solly shit or an legend beyond criticism? As it's hard to tell between threads. 

Second if AD has been offered 10k plus a week, if we offered 4k, a "sensible" owner would probably offer 7-8k, he wants to go, let him.  Heads will be turned, quite rightly.  If boro are offering him that salary, when would YOU have offered him a contract on that level? Start of last season, Christmas, start of this summer? 

Remember boro have lost more than £150 million over the last 10 years including parachute payments etc

RE: Chris Solly I think we have to wait and see

We wrote Jackson off so many times (at this level) only for us to defy us - Wouldnt be surprised if he has mixed performances and should be treated as that rather than just being regarded as shit now
    Not sure how much you saw off last season but Solly is not an attacking RB. He can't take on an opposing defender & certainly can't cross. AD nailed down the RB position for the 2nd half of the season. Solly is not the player LB needs if he wants to play 5 at the back. 
    Apart from the cross Solly put in at Plymouth for Taylor's goal you mean

He's been one of our most consistent crossers of the ball in League One, could certainly beat the first man unlike Fosu and Marshall
    Solly is a decent (not saying brilliant) crosser, he just doesn't have the pace and skill to get into the positions often enough, or the legs to get up and down the pitch all game.
  • Welcome to Charlton Life.com

Please ensure you write off our players 24/7 - Especially the ones who have been around for years.

That’s not fair is it. Solly has been a brilliant servant of the club and in his Prime was a very good full back. Age and injury have taken a toll on the player and in 2019/20 season it’s not unfair to say that CS is not going to be the answer to the right back berth other than as cover at best. Those are the facts drained of rose tinted colouring.
    Age? It’s not like he’s 35, he’s only 28!
  • DOUCHER said:
    I have a feeling we may be pleasantly surprised about what happens to the bulk of he diksteel money - we shall see 
    If you are hearing what i have heard then i would be over the moon. But you maybe suggesting completely different?
    I dont do cryptic just say what i hear and im hearing Cullen coming back is a strong possibility
    @Redhenry ?
    Heard he weren't coming back. But not close on this one
  • edited August 2019
    Quite upsetting how many of our players willing to jump ship to teams of same calibre after such a hard fought and emotional promotional campaign. 

Money v Workplace loyalty and bond
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Quite upsetting how many of our players willing to jump ship to teams of same calibre after such a hard fought and emotional promotional campaign. 

Money v Workplace loyalty and bond
    Or ambition and career progression.
  • 21cws said:
    Fingers crossed for a busy day tomorrow
    Incomings that is...
    Yeah should of made that point haha
  • edited August 2019
    matt88 said:
    Welcome to Charlton Life.com

Please ensure you write off our players 24/7 - Especially the ones who have been around for years.

That’s not fair is it. Solly has been a brilliant servant of the club and in his Prime was a very good full back. Age and injury have taken a toll on the player and in 2019/20 season it’s not unfair to say that CS is not going to be the answer to the right back berth other than as cover at best. Those are the facts drained of rose tinted colouring.
    Age? It’s not like he’s 35, he’s only 28!
    And has had knee problems since his early 20's which has expedited his demise.

We all know at his best he was fantastic but he hasn't been that for 2-3 years I am saddened to admit.

• Forest are lookingvto sign Carl Jenkinson. Wasn't there a sell on clause? More money for Mr Wanker. Ao another ex player playing in the Championship. Although his sale help fund Powell's promotion push. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Forest are lookingvto sign Carl Jenkinson. Wasn't there a sell on clause? More money for Mr Wanker. Ao another ex player playing in the Championship. Although his sale help fund Powell's promotion push. 
    Thought they might go for Gunter. 

How about our resale clause being waived if they gave us Liam Bridcutt? 
  • I love Solly as much as anyone and at his best he was good enough to play in the prem, no doubt about it. I don’t think it’s disrespectful though to suggest he’s no longer good enough to be our first choice right back. If we’re being honest he’s a mid table league 1 player.
    Personally, I don't believe the question is whether Solly is good enough to be our first choice right back or not.
    He's certainly Championship standard as RB in a conventional flat 4-4-2, with the wide midfielder offering him cover.

But Bowyer doesn't play that way.

In his formations, tactics and gameplan: 'diamond 4 at the back' means Solly, solid defensive fullback that he is, has no covering wide midfielder, leaving him exposed.
    And I'm not sure that in a ' 3 x CB diamond', wingback suits his game either.

That takes nothing away from Solly or his ability. To my mind, he's not a perfect fit for Bowyer's formations.

• Sponsored links:

• linked on twitter to Chris Gunter on loan as a replacement for dijksteel, id take that tbf. Just annoying that's another loan used up which should've been on a cm/st
    Gunter is very decent!! Will miss AD but I would take Chris as his replacement 
  • That 2million would be better spent on wages to help get the players we desperately need that are on free transfers etc. I'd rather get 3 10k a week signings that can make a difference then spend 2m on 1 player
  • Redhenry said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I have a feeling we may be pleasantly surprised about what happens to the bulk of he diksteel money - we shall see 
    If you are hearing what i have heard then i would be over the moon. But you maybe suggesting completely different?
    I dont do cryptic just say what i hear and im hearing Cullen coming back is a strong possibility
    @Redhenry ?
    Heard he weren't coming back. But not close on this one
    I was told there was a chance but things could change. Haven't been told differently since, however this was before he played a game for WHAM in pre season
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    That 2million would be better spent on wages to help get the players we desperately need that are on free transfers etc. I'd rather get 3 10k a week signings that can make a difference then spend 2m on 1 player
    Neither option is a consideration as it goes into Rolys pocket.
    I know but we have to dream as the reality is fucking depressing
  • Was Googling Troy Parrott Charlton Spurs forum to see what came up. A week or two ago someone said we were after Kaz Sterling on loan. Doesn't seem to have gone on loan yet so that could still be a possibility.

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/spurs-youth-2019-20.32489/page-3
  • Scoham said:
    Was Googling Troy Parrott Charlton Spurs forum to see what came up. A week or two ago someone said we were after Kaz Sterling on loan. Doesn't seem to have gone on loan yet so that could still be a possibility.

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/spurs-youth-2019-20.32489/page-3
    Is a 17 year old the answer?
  • I think Michael Owen was 17/18 when he broke into Liverpool’s 1st team and netted nearly 20 goals in his first season. I know nothing about Parrott, but if Spurs are raving about him, I would hope that he can make a very positive impression in the Championship.