Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travelling to Wembley on Sunday

Comments

• Options
    We're thinking of parking at North Greenwich and taking the Jubilee line to Wembley Park, but with a break at Baker Street to meet others.  The TFL website gave a fare of £2.80 from North Greenwich to Wembley Park, which seems very cheap, however a travel card seems to cost £10.10 off peak. Not being used to travel in London these days, does a stop at Baker Street mean that we'd have to buy new tickets from Baker Street to Wembley Park after we have stopped? A travel card seems to be the easier option.

Also I tried to book the NCP car park at North Greenwich, but it advised that I couldn't pre-book there. Are we likely to find problems with parking near North Greenwich if we can't pre-book.  We actually live in Bearsted, Maidstone, but it seemed easier, quicker and cheaper to drive to North Greenwich rather than travel by train from Bearsted.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    CatAddick said:
    Curb_It said:
    For those going by tube to Wembley Park, just doing a bit of research on TFL Journey Planner. 

If you get on the Jubilee Line at North Greenwich with a change on to the Met it will take 34 minutes.  But if you stay on the Jubilee line it will take 38 mins.  So saving 4 minutes but having the hassle of changing.  

If you get on the Jubilee line at London Bridge to Wembley Park it will take 29 minutes.  Getting on at London Bridge and changing on to the Met line it will take 26 minutes.

Again is it worth the hassle of changing? 

That is my bit of research done.  Breakfast at north Greenwich and Jubilee Line all the way. 

If you change at Finchley Road, the Met is on the other side of the platform so you can decide when the train arrives if it’s worth changing as you can see the indicator 
    Worth also checking how rammed the Met train is too, might not be worth leaving a seat to have to cram into a rammed train just to save 4 minutes
    This is my view too.  Getting on at NG you are almost guaranteed a seat, I'm a lazy bitch, Ill stay sat and suffer the extra 4 mins.

Look out for Mottingham yoof passing through at about 11
  • Options
    We're thinking of parking at North Greenwich and taking the Jubilee line to Wembley Park, but with a break at Baker Street to meet others.  The TFL website gave a fare of £2.80 from North Greenwich to Wembley Park, which seems very cheap, however a travel card seems to cost £10.10 off peak. Not being used to travel in London these days, does a stop at Baker Street mean that we'd have to buy new tickets from Baker Street to Wembley Park after we have stopped? A travel card seems to be the easier option.

Also I tried to book the NCP car park at North Greenwich, but it advised that I couldn't pre-book there. Are we likely to find problems with parking near North Greenwich if we can't pre-book.  We actually live in Bearsted, Maidstone, but it seemed easier, quicker and cheaper to drive to North Greenwich rather than travel by train from Bearsted.
    Why don’t you drive to Charlton park in a side street then train to London. Simples.
  • Options
    Will be on the high speed from Folkestone, hopefully see a few fellow Addicks travelling up from this corner of Kent too. Anyone thinking of drinking in Clerkenwell/Farringdon before heading to Wembley on the metropolitan line?
  • Options
    Acab said:

Why don’t you drive to Charlton park in a side street then train to London. Simples.
    Just checked there is bus replacement from Charlton on Sunday. Wellling or Bexleyheath is a good option.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Except travel from Charlton will involve a replacement bus service to New Cross.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

If you have a debit or credit card (surely you must), you don't need to buy tickets.
    Just tap in and out.
    Make sure you do tap in/out or you get charged max fare.
    Do not consider buying tickets in London as you'll likely being queuing at machines for 30 mins.
    I believe you are a mature woman and you may wish to consider that Baker Street will be packed as that's a favourite for Sunderland & you'll have hundreds/thousands of Charlton there as well.

Re parking, you need to create an account here.
    Pay in advance & then just drive in/out as it works on ANPR (automatic number plate recognition).
    Feel free to send me an inbox (message if you're stuck).

https://ukparking.dashcardservices.com/dash/_public/parking/
  • Options

Have you got an Oyster Card or Contactless Bank Card?

The £2.80 cost is if you use one of them, if your just changing trains @ Baker Street then you'll only have to pay the once - i.e. You'll tap in at the barriers @ North Greenwich and then tap out at the barriers @ Wembley Park (that'll cost you £2.80) same again when you travel home - If of course you want to come out of the station @ Baker Street thats when you'll have to pay for multiple trips

Certainly more worth it than getting a Travelcard unless of course you plan to do a lot of travelling all over London that day / evening
  • Options

If you have a debit or credit card (you must), you don't need to buy tickets.
    Just tap in and out.

Pay in advance & then just drive in/out as it works on ANPR (automatic number plate recognition).

www.ukparking.dashcardservices.com
    Thank you
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Just tap in and out.

Thank you
    The link didn't work and I edited my post, have another read of it.
    Plus as FA just said your debit/credit card needs to be contactless and make sure you use the same card tapping in and out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Staying in Norfolk for weekend so getting train from Kings Lynn to Kings Cross and then Metropolitan line to Wembley Park
  • Options

Just tap in and out.

Thank you
    The link didn't work and I edited my post, have another read of it.
    Plus as FA just said your debit/credit card needs to be contactless and make sure you use the same card tapping in and out.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Anyone setting off early on Sunday morning from either Maidstone East or West?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    There are no trains beyond Plumstead on Sunday
  • Options

The £2.80 cost is if you use one of them, if your just changing trains @ Baker Street then you'll only have to pay the once - i.e. You'll tap in at the barriers @ North Greenwich and then tap out at the barriers @ Wembley Park (that'll cost you £2.80) same again when you travel home - If of course you want to come out of the station @ Baker Street thats when you'll have to pay for multiple trips

Certainly more worth it than getting a Travelcard unless of course you plan to do a lot of travelling all over London that day / evening
    These days it's never worth buying a travelcard, as the daily cost of using Oyster or a contactless card is capped at the cost of the travelcard anyway

Just make sure you use the same card to tap in and out all day, and don't a wave a wallet/purse at the reader as that way the wrong card might get charged instead!
  • Options
    Arrived home to Norwich from Riyadh on the 9th to take in the two Donny games. Coming down to London on Saturday for 2 nights (Airbnb in Hammersmith) with my 2 sons, before I fly back to Riyadh on Monday. 

Been catching up on beer and bacon since I've been back, and fully intend to make the most of Saturday and Sunday before heading back to 'work'.
  • Options
    Looking to go by train from Wadhurst to Charing Cross around 10am then book a table for brunch close by as there will be our family of 11.
    Then Bakerloo line to Baker St , change to Met line for Wembley Park. 
    Would look to arrive there bet 1 to1.30
    That,s if Thomas Cook doesn,t go bust before then and strand us here in Tenerife....
    Fanny! I had you down as a Positano, Sorrento or Monaco sort of girl!!
  • Options

If you have a debit or credit card (surely you must), you don't need to buy tickets.
    Just tap in and out.
    Do not consider buying tickets in London as you'll likely being queuing at machines for 30 mins.
    I believe you are a mature woman and you may wish to consider that Baker Street will be packed as that's a favourite for Sunderland & you'll have hundreds/thousands of Charlton there as well.

Just tap in and out.

Meeting family there. 

• Options
    Coming down by train on Saturday lunchtime and then staying with old friends near The Dominion Theatre.......Chinese meal in China Town Saturday night.
    Sunday the game, hopefully Sunday evening in The West End celebrating.
    Back to Kings Cross and back up north for Monday lunchtime.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think the Metropolitan line is 11 trains an hour as opposed to 24 on the Jubilee 
  • Options

These days it's never worth buying a travelcard, as the daily cost of using Oyster or a contactless card is capped at the cost of the travelcard anyway

Just make sure you use the same card to tap in and out all day, and don't a wave a wallet/purse at the reader as that way the wrong card might get charged instead!
    That is very useful to know. We are coming from Swanley.....does the same apply from there because for the past zillion years I've just bought a one day travel card (around £11) when coming into London. Cant remember seeing one of those yellow tappy things though. 
  • Options
    At a cousins wedding in Bordeaux from Friday, actual wedding is on the Saturday...cab should pick my little brother and @Yanntheman up 4:30am Sunday morning....flight back to Gatwick lands at 07:30am...back to Eltham...meet about 25 of my mates at Waterloo around 10:30ish and make our way to the Green Man maybe with a stop off in the a pub on the way...hope it all goes smoothly, don't let me down easy jet!

Wish us luck. 
    Just sitting on a flight to Bordeaux for a city break. Back Sat. Wear an Addicks shirt and I'll look out for you!!
  • Options
    Acab said:

There aren’t any trains from Charlton on Sunday. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Planning to get an 8 seater taxi at 10am from welling with the hope of arriving at Wembely to the Green Man pub around 11ish. Should be do-able? 
  • Options

That is very useful to know. We are coming from Swanley.....does the same apply from there because for the past zillion years I've just bought a one day travel card (around £11) when coming into London. Cant remember seeing one of those yellow tappy things though. 
    Yes.
  • Options

If you are catching a train into London it's usually still worth buying a combined train / travelcard ticket because  part of your train trip gets covered by the card. You can't tap in on "BR" trains outside London.
  • Options

If you are catching a train into London it's usually still worth buying a combined train / travelcard ticket because  part of your train trip gets covered by the card. You can't tap in on "BR" trains outside London.
    Swanley is the final stop on the Oyster network so yes he can....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Great.....thanks. looked it up & it said the max fare would be £4.40.......which is about 65% cheaper than the usual travelcard I buy. Fuming a bit inside as I often go to the ticket window & buy one - should they not have told me that there is a cheaper way of getting into town ??

And before I get canned......I hardly ever get public transport nowadays (once a month) & I thought Oyster cards were for commuters or those living in London. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Fumbluff said:

Great.....thanks. looked it up & it said the max fare would be £4.40.......which is about 65% cheaper than the usual travelcard I buy. Fuming a bit inside as I often go to the ticket window & buy one - should they not have told me that there is a cheaper way of getting into town ??

And before I get canned......I hardly ever get public transport nowadays (once a month) & I thought Oyster cards were for commuters or those living in London. 
    Did you ask them what’s the cheapest way to travel in to town and the journey you were going on or just order the travel card ?

Also are prices different during the week if you set off your journey before 9.30?