Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bonne Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Perhaps people need to take into account not just the number of goals a striker scores in a season, but how creative is the team around him, and of course the quality of service he gets.

He might also be having to play a lone striker role, sacrificing himself for the overall benefit of the team performance.
    Lone strikers rarely lead the goal scoring charts.

Strikers traditionally score best in tandem with another -  if 2 strikers work well together, holding up and creating space for each other, one or both will frequently score a netful of goals.

Morale of the story: strikers are as good as the team around them, the support they get, and the quantity and quality of service provided.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Perhaps people need to take into account not just the number of goals a striker scores in a season, but how creative is the team around him, and of course the quality of service he gets.

He might also be having to play a lone striker role, sacrificing himself for the overall benefit of the team performance.

Strikers traditionally score best in tandem with another -  if 2 strikers work well together, holding up and creating space for each other, one or both will frequently score a netful of goals.

Morale of the story: strikers are as good as the team around them, the support they get, and the quantity and quality of service provided.
    Yeah but a good Striker should be able to pick the ball up from his Goalkeeper, dribble round every opposing Striker on the pitch and then finish without relying on a single team mate
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Yeah but a good Striker should be able to pick the ball up from his Goalkeeper, dribble round every opposing Striker on the pitch and then finish without relying on a single team mate
    Not every good striker is Allan Simonsen. :smile:

• Options
    If he stays this season id have a charity bet with anyone that he will score more than Washington this season. Hes already behind so its a good bet?😶
    Kin ell , how bad is Washington then .... I’ve not seen Washington but if he looks like the ball isn’t toblerone shaped with his first touch I’ll have a bet ... I just want one match to see Washington 
    I didn’t think Washington was up to much today but I’d take him scoring more league goals for us this season (excluding pens) than Bonne , on today’s performances he’s already won it 2-0 !!🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    Blah blah blah blah

9 game chunks.
  • Options
    If he stays this season id have a charity bet with anyone that he will score more than Washington this season. Hes already behind so its a good bet?😶
    Kin ell , how bad is Washington then .... I’ve not seen Washington but if he looks like the ball isn’t toblerone shaped with his first touch I’ll have a bet ... I just want one match to see Washington 
    I didn’t think Washington was up to much today but I’d take him scoring more league goals for us this season (excluding pens) than Bonne , on today’s performances he’s already won it 2-0 !!🤦‍♂️
    I'd happily still offer the charity bet.
    Bit harsh you excluding pens though😆
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I’m excluding pens cos won’t be fair 

im up for a charidee bet for The Upbeats 

Bonne scores more Charlton league goals (excluding pens this season , completed or not) than Washington  and I’ll pay to Upbeats an agreeable amount and you’ll do vice versa 

*edit; if it’s a tie we’ll chip in half each 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Blah blah blah blah

9 game chunks.

If we'd won the very same people would have been talking of our promotion prospects.
    15 game barometer.
  • Options
    sounds good to me 
  • Options

Bonne scores more Charlton league goals (excluding pens this season , completed or not) than Washington  and I’ll pay to Upbeats an agreeable amount and you’ll do vice versa 

Sorry didn't quote.

Sounds good to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £10, £20, £50 or £100 you chose , happy with whatever suits you 
  • Options
    £50 mate

• Options
    £50 mate

I'll look after the kitty.
  • Options

Mate, you will be stealing money off him (for a good cause). 
    MB is non league. 
    I heard the derisory offer we rejected was that we had to pay for them to take him away !
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Blah blah blah blah

9 game chunks.
    Thought you were talking about Aneke for a minute. 
  • Options
    @Garrymanilow
    He will have the last laugh.
    Going to QPR for silly money.

The difference with Bradders was that he had been there and got the T shirt, MB has no pedigree as such, and we don't have the time to wait for him to hit form. Yes, 11 goals last season in the Champ - playing alongside Cullen, Gallagher, Field, Leko, Taylor. I reckon I could have got a few, with those lads around me on the pitch.
    Now back down to L1 and he can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Blah blah blah blah

9 game chunks.
    Thought you were talking about Aneke for a minute. 
    That's how many games worth of 90 minutes you get from all his sub appearances per season. 
  • Options
    @Garrymanilow

The difference with Bradders was that he had been there and got the T shirt, MB has no pedigree as such, and we don't have the time to wait for him to hit form. Yes, 11 goals last season in the Champ - playing alongside Cullen, Gallagher, Field, Leko, Taylor. I reckon I could have got a few, with those lads around me on the pitch.
    Except the vast majority of his goals came when all of those bar Cullen were absent or gone. So that's really not at all relevant.

People say if he'd scored this or that goal we would have stayed up... But if he hadn't scored the goals he did we'd have been down long before. 
  • Options
    @Garrymanilow

You realise Bonne's averaged 1.7 shots per league game this season across 3 games.
    That's 5 shots.  If he's not getting the ball in shooting positions how can he score?  

SO FAR THIS SEASON - MOST SHOTS
    Joe Piggott 5 SPGame 

15 shots, 2 goals (3 games) 1 goal every 9.5 shots

C-Harris 4.7 SPGame

14 shots, 0 goals (3 games) -

Kaikai 4.5 SPGame

9 shots, 0 goals (2 games) -

Wilks  4 SPGame

8 shots, 0 goals (2 games) - 

Seperately this season I thought it was worth raising this... Washington has actually started very well indeed. 

Washington 2.6 SPgame
    8 shots, 2 goals (3 games)  1 goal every 4 shots

(Source: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/8/Seasons/8305/Stages/18826/PlayerStatistics/England-League-One-2020-2021)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Garrymanilow

You realise Bonne's averaged 1.7 shots per league game this season across 3 games.
    That's 5 shots.  If he's not getting the ball in shooting positions how can he score?  

SO FAR THIS SEASON - MOST SHOTS
    Joe Piggott 5 SPGame 

15 shots, 2 goals (3 games) 1 goal every 9.5 shots

C-Harris 4.7 SPGame

14 shots, 0 goals (3 games) -

Kaikai 4.5 SPGame

9 shots, 0 goals (2 games) -

Wilks  4 SPGame

8 shots, 0 goals (2 games) - 

Seperately this season I thought it was worth raising this... Washington has actually started very well indeed. 

Washington 2.6 SPgame
    8 shots, 2 goals (3 games)  1 goal every 4 shots

(Source: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/8/Seasons/8305/Stages/18826/PlayerStatistics/England-League-One-2020-2021)

He does get the ball in shooting positions. The problem is, he is so utterly limited as a footballer, he can only get a shot away if he receives the ball facing goal and there is no defender immediately close. Have you ever seen Bonne pick up the ball with a defender on his back, turn and shoot? He freezes. 

His lack of shots highlight his pure inability. 15 shots for Bonne at this stage would only mean 15 clear cut chances, because those are the only times he can make a shot.

Anyway, if Cawley is right, and judging by Bowyer's quotes, the management team are seeing the same things. 

When it's pointed out that Bonne has played shit, Bonne fans say it's a lack of service. When he does receive service but misses absolute sitters, Bonne fans say that he's a work in progress. To quote the great Lauren Kreamer, you "seek to have it both ways."
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    No if he's getting the service and missing, you have a point. Problem is the stats show neither of our strikers have had anywhere near the service other players in this league already have. 

I'm willing to give Bonne a chance, but there's a good chance that if we sort the service he'll score more. Given he's likely not on a cap breaking salary, what benefit would selling him have? Increases transfer budget, but cap remains so we're still limited to who we can get. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    No if he's getting the service and missing, you have a point. Problem is the stats show neither of our strikers have had anywhere near the service other players in this league already have. 

I'm willing to give Bonne a chance, but there's a good chance that if we sort the service he'll score more. Given he's likely not on a cap breaking salary, what benefit would selling him have? Increases transfer budget, but cap remains so we're still limited to who we can get. 
    If he has had a flash in the pan season which means a championship team are willing to punt millions on him, but Bowyer and Gallen know he's actually not up to much, surely that's the benefit of selling him now? Anyway, we will have to wait and see.
  • Options
    He will get us goals this season 

Works hard, yes raw and a touch naive but he is a finisher as opposed to someone who drops right off and finds the ball. There are 9 other outfield players who have a responsibility to contribute offensively and give a finisher service. If he was playing somewhere where they created stuff he would be smashing goals in left right and centre. Players like Forster-Caskey, Williams, Morgan, Doughty all need to be making stuff happen in the final third. 

I think the off season has been so unsettling for us and the players the first month of this season is pre season and we should still have bodies to come in and get match fit 
  • Options
    If I had heard we had spent two million on a striker then found out it was Macauley Bonne l’d disappointed, so on that basis I think we got the better end of the deal. 
  • Options
    £50 mate

Pay up 2-0 Washington for Charlton goals ;-) 

Bet void , unless you wanna have it for his QPR League goals excluding penalties 

• Options
    £50 mate

Pay up 2-0 Washington for Charlton goals ;-) 

Bet void , unless you wanna have it for his QPR League goals excluding penalties 

Cheers for the void. Im pretty surprised hes gone to be honest and think he will score double figures for QPR still. But im not sure about your bet offer as have a sinking feeling Washington may be our main striker this season so hopefully will get double figures also.

• Options
    A slightly more grounded interview with Bonne here, including an apology for his comments
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-macauley-bonne-on-ruthless-decision-to-leave-charlton-athletic-for-qpr/
  • Options
    “He [Bowyer] had his methods and in a way it worked. In the moment when he is screaming and shouting I thought ‘he hates me and it must be something personal’.

Not the most wholesome of praise for Bowyer and reading that I would say he was unimpressed about being called out so publicly.  It is something I think does Bowyer no favours and hope he changes personally.