Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest | Wed 21 August | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    Shame we couldn't get all three points. Fantastic first half and it was always going to be a tough ask reproducing a near perfect performance for the second period. Why we made two subs before a defensive set piece only Bowyer knows but he is loads in credit so it was what it was. Sat back I thought and let them back in. Loads of positives to take from it with some excellent individual performances with plenty in reserve on the bench these days. Still unbeaten and in the play offs at fifth spot and we go again versus Brentford on Saturday.
  • Options
    Thought we were unlucky tonight. Great first half and needed a second goal...loved it when we scored when they were taking the piss out of our song.
  • Options
    Such a cliche. Don't take your chances when you're on top and draw the game. 
    Took my daughter's boyfriend (Spurs fan) for the first time and was so proud of the atmosphere. 
  • Options
    game of two halves .. we will learn from this .. appeared that we ran out of steam after about 40 minutes .. must take our chances .. denied by some good goalkeeping and the defending of Dawson & Worrrall .. I'm pleased Adomah didn't start, he's always been and he remains a very skilful and dangerous player
    All in all a point lost as well as a point gained .. if you see what I mean
  • Options
    Shame football is about goals not passing and movement.

Seemed a bit amateurish to make two subs at an opposition corner but probably just hindsight bias.

Disappointed but for an hour or so we totally outclassed a decent Championship side.
  • Options
    Watched it with the sound down in a bar in Turkey . The first half performance was fantastic but I said to my son that we probably needed that second goal as we are Charlton and nothings that simple and that’s the way it turned out .
    So impressed with the way we played and we are going to cause teams havoc at times . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointed with the draw, not the match itself. Paid the pace in the first half towards the end of the game. Making subs when defending a corner! Ref should have given a straight red for the over the top tackle, both he and the Lino had a good view of it.
  • Options
    We've certainly come a long way under Bowyer and now have a team to be proud of. This season is shaping up to be great fun. Cheers all that were there for the updates and reports.
  • Options
    SO...  it was Nottingham Forest and NOT Mottingham?

Oh well, a point is good right?
  • Options
    Who was it who gave the ball away at the corner?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Watched with my lad 30. He said dad I think that's the best Charllton 45 mins I have ever seen ( he was down there at 7). But, you just knew it was going to go wrong. However, when you look at the squad and who's competing to play.... It's exciting.   We are(we're) 21/10 to Beat Brentford on Sat. I had £100 on that at half time tonight. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Can't be anything other than supremely disappointed after the first half performance. Really, really wanted 10 points from four games and the difference between 3 wins and a draw and 2 wins 2 draws is huge in terms of our start.
    In reality though we should be delighted we're capable of playing like that with two quality players yet to come in, and that making numerous changes to the first team still results in a fluid performance. We were mostly untroubled in defence but we looked very suspect on second balls from crosses which is worrying. Despite our silky passing moves you felt the best chance of a goal going in was from any Forest cross landing anywhere near our box. Other than that the back four look so comfortable with the ball which gives us such a great platform to attack. In midfield Field played like a more mobile and tidy Pratley, which is a great sign. Oztumer was briefly unplayable before he tired and Gallagher just can't stop running. Needs to be more composed in the final stages though because he's the one who can still sprint through a defence in the final minutes, but that's no good if he's flapping about. Cullen was a big disappointment today. He wasn't bad by any stretch but with our dominance he needed to be driving us forward, switching the play and trying to get balls through the gaps. Instead he was decent but allowed the play to flow around him instead of taking the game by the scruff of the neck. This game was his to own but he let it pass him by a bit.
    Up front Leko scared them initially but they soon realised that if he beat them he'd come back around to try it again and they'd probably win it off him this time. He's strong, he's quick, and he's a surprisingly excellent crosser but as the game wore on he needed to drive at them and be direct instead of fannying about in a circle trying to beat his take-on high score. Taylor was strong and dangerous in the first half but got frustrated as our dominance reduced. What a header as well. A word on Aneke - one of the worst sub appearances I've seen in ages. Bloody hell, he's still reacting to some of the balls forward now. He didn't look interested in pressing and I don't think he was conscious for most of his time on the pitch. That substitution should have given us extra forward thrust and instead it broke our rhythm completely. Get it together Chuks.
    I'm very disappointed at the final whistle and I imagine Bowyer will be raging but the reality is that's the best first half I've seen from Charlton since - and including a lot of - The Premier League years and it was a joy to witness. If we can keep that up and get a bit more incisive we'll be absolutely fine. That first half performance is worthy of Play-Off contention and it's brilliant to see we're capable of playing like that.
  • Options
    Great 1st half. Dropped 10/15 yards deeper 2nd. Not sure why, they rarely got behind us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Positives:
    Best 45 minutes I’ve seen us play in a long time.
    Made 4 changes to our usual starting line up and we played really well, shows good squad depth.
    Oshilaja is a very capable right back
    Leko and Taylor showed signs of a very promising attack partnership
    Lockyer proved he’s a good centre half

Negatives:
    We couldn’t keep up the tempo from our first half performance
    We only got 1 point when it feels like we deserve 3
  • Options
    Great 1st half. Dropped 10/15 yards deeper 2nd. Not sure why, they rarely got behind us.
    That 41212 demands a lot of work.

Gallagher, Taylor and Cullen tired (as you’d expect) and we lost our press allowing them to dictate the channels. 

What id really like Bowyer to do is change to a 442 for the final 20/25 to just see the game out and give the fullbacks some protection.
  • Options
    Liked the look of Field, really liked the look of Oztumer. First half was premier league standard. Lockyer tackle of the century. Bowyer won't make the substitution mistake again. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Lockyer’s tackle was something very special 
    Leko's miss was also something very special.
  • Options
    First half was like watching another team - unbelievable. If we carry on like that we will do well this season. Thought we were overall the better team in the second half, but our fitness was fading due to going all out first 45. Leko definitely tiring. Don’t think all the subs right before that corner did any favours and just gave Forest a chance to get their heads together. 
    Was expecting Forest to be much better so had been prepared for a draw. Win would have been nice but the draw keeps us with a decent unbroken home run. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I think the best is yet to come from our team -remember, a couple of weeks ago, we were desperately short and a lot have joined late in the window with Hamed and Kayel yet to play - We had to kill them off and deserved to in the first half, but they defended well I thought so credit to them for that. It gave them the platform to equalise in an even second half. Still, when we were playing that fast attacking game, it was clear we were a class apart. Not many would have predicted that.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Liked the look of Field, really liked the look of Oztumer. First half was premier league standard. Lockyer tackle of the century. Bowyer won't make the substitution mistake again. 
    Sorry. 2nd to the Nabsters last year which was at pace.