Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest | Wed 21 August | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    Oshilaja was superb tonight.
    Can someone post the words to this new cult hero's song, please? Amazing tonight, especially in the first half.
  • Options
    Lots of changes tonight. Just shows the depth we now have in the squad. Confidence is high, the Valley is buzzing. Onwards and upwards. 
  • Options
    Best 45 minutes interplay I have seen from a Charlton team since ?
    Ever !

Despite not giving Forest a kick for 43 minutes only  Lockyer tackle saved it being 1-1 at HT.

I tipped 1-1 but didn't expect that performance 1st half. if you didn't see a response coming from Forest and a decrease in Charlton's play you must still believe in Santa Claus. 

Don't blame Bowyer for the subs at corner. Looks bad but putting on two six footers shouldn't lead to a goal. 

Just like Stoke and their 3 chances, 
    It going to be near impossible to keep a clean sheet in this division.
    Had to go 2-0 up but I have my doubts if you can teach players to be goal scorers. Leko is a great young talent but that golden chance from Lyle fell to the wrong player.

Very encouraging but being around the top feels strange knowing that 6 loanee's will be lost at the end of the season or before in Cullen's case.
    Sarr and Lockyer were excellent tonight on the ball and both saved certain goals.
    The passing was brilliant for 95% of the time in the first half before Forest woke up and showed some quality 2nd half.

The team did us proud and we still have the two Israeli Lads to bring their experience to the team.

Proud fan but realistic to know that loans have to go back to where they came from.

Enjoy while we can.

• Options
    Just had a look on the Forest Fans Forum. Not a happy bunch in general, but at least some begrudging comments that we were worth the point.

Best first half I can remember since the Premiership days. In fact better - at least then they made a game of it! Stats first half- Nottingham no shots on target, no shots off targets, no corners, no.... oh you get the picture.

Thought we deserved the 3 points. Thought they were the quietest fans in years.
  • Options
    Young pacy team, have to admit possibly the paciest Addicks team  I have seen in movement and ball moving for a very long time, will evolve and only get better, shame about equaliser but this is going to be an entertaining season, also crowd was very good as was the ref. Bowyer and JJ what a team they are.
  • Options
    1-1 was a disappointing result to say the least. But there were a lot of positives to take from the performance. However, what really infuriated me was Aneke's work ethic when he came on. Didn't live anywhere near up to Bowyer's standards in terms of effort. 
    Glad it wasn't just me who thought that. Needed to do more considering he had fresh legs. 
  • Options
    Cullen and the midfield in the first half were just mesmerising. 

Forest always felt a threat though, so a draw was in the end not a surprise. Expect them to be up there at the end of the season. The subs they brought on were particularly strong and had an impact. 

Great game and atmosphere.

Be interesting to see who he starts on Saturday. 
    Disagree with that, I genuinely didn't feel threatened all game (maybe only Adomah who showed flashes but still did little other than score!). The only time they had a chance was lucky or we played ourself into trouble. Thought Lockyer was great but should have done much better with the goal. 
    Maybe not in terms of clear cut chances, but they worried me even in the first half, eg that instance when they broke from their half at lightening speed to the edge of our box. And their manager looked like he tried a number of tactical things that were effective in unsettling things. Eg Ameobi going central towards the end of the first half caused confusion. And Bostock coming on in the second to start winning lots of balls in deeper positions to set up attacks when our lads were tiring. Fortunately, their strikers seemed poor, including Grabban. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I thought the draw was overall probably a fair result, and impressive that we could give Forest such a good game while resting 3 of our best players this season.

I think we massively dominated the first half, whereas they possibly shaded the second (although we had the best chance when Leko fired over from 8 yards). So I'd say we deserved the three points.
    Good to see that Sarr can still shine in a back four. Otzumer was buzzing around and looked dangerous. Overall, I'm beginning to think we could possibly make the playoff, whereas three weeks ago we were massive favourites for relegation.

BBC:

Nottingham Forest boss Lamouchi told BBC Radio Nottingham:

"We are lucky to get one point because they played much better than us, especially in the first half - more quickly, more aggressive, more compact.

"We were lucky to be just one goal down. The performance was not like four days ago.

"It was not before 40 minutes that we made more than three passes, so we played very badly."

We dominated the 1st half, but it's not as if we had loads of clear chances, and Forest made some great blocks. If Pearce or Pratley had made those blocks in an away game, we'd be saying it was great defending and we deserved not to concede.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mendonca said:
    I don't understand it...'don't make a sub at a corner.'

Everybody kept concentration apart from an unfortunate mistake by Lockyer. So stop trying to be Gary Neville in his inaccurate analytical truck and maybe read the ACTUAL passage of play that occured. 
    I thought Lockyer was brilliant tonight.
    Haven't seen their goal on TV so not sure how the scrambled goal went in.
    Superb last ditch tackle to deny a certain goal in first half by Lockyer and he is so good on the ball.

Ps. How did some people give Field a 5 ?
    You must've been watching on TV and kept going for a drink or a piss. He did so much good work even if he was a lucky boy with the tackle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I don't understand it...'don't make a sub at a corner.'

Everybody kept concentration apart from an unfortunate mistake by Lockyer. So stop trying to be Gary Neville in his inaccurate analytical truck and maybe read the ACTUAL passage of play that occured. 
    I thought Lockyer was brilliant tonight.
    Haven't seen their goal on TV so not sure how the scrambled goal went in.
    Superb last ditch tackle to deny a certain goal in first half by Lockyer and he is so good on the ball.

Ps. How did some people give Field a 5 ?
    You must've been watching on TV and kept going for a drink or a piss. He did so much good work even if he was a lucky boy with the tackle.
    We have some strange strange fans!
  • Options
    Sarr made one pass out for a throw. That apart, despite no crossfield  gems, he was passing forward. Not just ten yards to avoid interceptions but 20 or 30 to get us attacking. Enjoy the splinters JP.
  • Options
    Despite Aneke struggling to get into the pace of the game. My opinion is both him and Bonne would've taken that chance.
    We knew that Leko wasn't a goal scorer but maybe if he gets his first goal since his academy days then we have a special player.
    We only got Leko and Field because they are raw. Both had good games despite Leko's miss and Field's rash tackle that we some how got away with !
  • Options
    Was hoping to comment but unfortunately for some reason the game didn’t record. Pretty pissed off because it sounds like a great performance. From seeing the highlights on Quest though I can say both sides should have been down to ten men and Lockyer’s tackle in the first half was on par with the Rufus one at WHL. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Must stress at this point as well that the subs had absolutely nothing to do with their goal. Nothing at all. The goal was caused by Lockyer making a mistake in dealing with the ball in and it dropping incredibly favourably for Adomah. It's not like a spare man popped up while Pratley was ambling onto the field. Blaming the sub for the goal is a total red herring
    Thank you. Someone prepared to use their own eyes instead of meekly parroting cliches from the TV commentary clowns.
  • Options
    Only managed to see the first half from afar but what a half of football. Just goes to show how important it is to take your chances at this level otherwise you get punished. A lesson learnt, I think. Good to see that rotating the squad didn’t have an adverse effect on the performance and I can’t wait to see us when these Brighton boys get slotted in. Whoever loses their place will be very unlucky. Well played lads. Keep up the good work. 
  • Options
    Oshilaja was superb tonight.
    Can someone post the words to this new cult hero's song, please? Amazing tonight, especially in the first half.
    It’s something about him liking vodka and jäger and having a massive head. ( copy of harry maguires song ) 

personally think it’s too much as with a lot of these popular player songs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think if we are up there around October/November, we will see efforts to keep Taylor. Also to improve Bowyer's contract. Not saying they will succeed, but they will happen.
  • Options
    I think if we are up there around October/November, we will see efforts to keep Taylor. Also to improve Bowyer's contract. Not saying they will succeed, but they will happen.
    We are witnessing something special happening on the pitch, something most players don’t get to experience in their careers. If we are still up there in January only a fool would walk away from this squad before the end of the season they’ll carry the regret for the rest of their lives because the team will carry on but they won’t be part of it
  • Options
    I can understand caution, but we should stop talking about staying  up. That is a given now with the squad we have. We have a special manager and if we are not in the top three at Christmas, I will be surprised. The January window is the challenge ahead for us as I see it.

What I loved was the courage on the ball we displayed yesterday. That is trying to play and not being afraid if it doesn't come off. It is logical that we are going to improve a lot and I am quite excited to where we will be as a team in 5 to 6 games.

With a poor budget, it is beyond amazing the success rate of players bought in, 
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Good point. Can't forget Field was lucky to stay on and not concede a pen 
    It was outside the box.
  • Options
    Masicat, unless you have a different match in mind, we dominated Spurs in cup at WHL bit were undone in replay at Valley. Dave Madden superb.
    Nope. Game I’m thinking of was a league match, Tuesday night. Claus Jensen run them ragged for about 30 minutes, they didn’t get a kick. We quickly went 2-0 up but I think it ended 2-2. Can’t remember it clearly.
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Good point. Can't forget Field was lucky to stay on and not concede a pen 
    It was outside the box.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    A very enjoyable evening at The Valley. We probably showed over 90 mins why we won’t be challenging for top 2 and why we won’t be anywhere near the relegation zone. 

First half was the most one sided matches of football you will ever see. The only mistake was not being ruthless and getting a 2nd or 3rd. Our inexperienced showed towards the end with Forest having a counter attack in the 90+ mins which would have been a proper sucker punch.

All three changes fitted in straight away and make strong addition to our starting eleven. Long season ahead of us but more performances like that and we will start to get the respect we deserve. 
  • Options
    I still cant work out how Cullen is on our pitch and West Ham are still playing that old cart horse Mark Noble. Cullen would blossom around better players.