Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest | Wed 21 August | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    All in all, it was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance, we should've had the game wrapped up at half time.

Oshilaja what a performance I have to say! loved his song as well haha. I think Solly now has some genuine competition at RB and maybe bows will start him again on saturday, I know I would. Cullen once again dominating the midfield.

I'm sorry I know Phillips is Charlton academy but I'm not convinced on him. I turn into a bag of nerves when the ball is played back to him or crosses come in. He flapped one yesterday, and his distribution yesterday was poor but not as bad as the Forest keepers lol. Amos to start the next game for me.

Obviously we're still undefeated and thats great, but last night feels like 2 points lost.

It because Philips is Charlton academy that people aren't convinced by him.

It seems every home grown keeper gets little credit compared to brought in goalies

Laughable that you say his distribution was "poor" (it wasn't) or that he flapped at "one".  Even you admit the other keepers' distribution was poor but Philips' was and is 100 times better.  And there was, yet again, nothing he could do about the goal.

Agree on this Henry,
    Plus the Forest keeper is on loan from Man city where you have to be as good with your feet as your hands. Every time their keeper kicked the ball straight into touch (6 ?) I thought they had an injured player, it was so poor.
  • Options
    A bit late to the party & pretty much most has already been said. 

I was most mpressed with Field (compared to the Forest Green game) & Lockyer but Oshi stood out for me. I'm sure Solly thought that with Dijikstel going the RB birth would be his.....how wrong could he be !

I think we all knew that not getting a 2nd goal would be our downfall, although despite all our possession 1st half we didn't really create any clear cut chances (Gallagher apart) & Leko's chance was about all we had in the 2nd. Bloody frustrating as 3 points should have been ours but 8 points after 4 games is more than (most) of us thought we'd have so can't complain......especially as Millwall got walloped  !!

• Options
    First game of the season and first 45 mins was the best I've seen us play for a number of years. Not getting the second when on top (or the bad miss by Leko, admittedly made slightly less simply by Taylor's less-than-perfect pull back) cost us the win and is the difference between League One and the Championship. Sides at this level will always get once chance if you're only one up and more often than not they will have somebody reasonably competent such as Adomah who will take it.
  • Options
    First half: couldn’t believe it was Charlton in the red. Awesome football and I don’t think Forest expected that work rate and skill. 
    Second Half: Forest rolled up their socks and began to show their championship mettle. Our substitutions were key here. The Forest goal was a fluke...hey ho but the difference was that we began to keep losing possession and Chuka up front was one of the more guilty party here. 
    Overall: A great match to watch and I’m looking forward to the season. Bring on Millwall!
  • Options
    That football we witnessed deserves a new song to be sung and ladies and gentlemen may I suggest  appropriately for the Valley it’s by The Who...Pinball Wizard...that football tonight  was like watching a pinball, but only faster

ever since I was a young boy 
    i’ve watched them play football 
    from Carlisle down to Brighton 
    I must have seen them all
    but I ain’t seen nothing like it
    in any amusement hall
    those Bowyer football wizards
    sure play a mean pinball...
    Very good....especially as the Who and Charlton have a connection.
  • Options
    All in all, it was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance, we should've had the game wrapped up at half time.

Oshilaja what a performance I have to say! loved his song as well haha. I think Solly now has some genuine competition at RB and maybe bows will start him again on saturday, I know I would. Cullen once again dominating the midfield.

I'm sorry I know Phillips is Charlton academy but I'm not convinced on him. I turn into a bag of nerves when the ball is played back to him or crosses come in. He flapped one yesterday, and his distribution yesterday was poor but not as bad as the Forest keepers lol. Amos to start the next game for me.

Obviously we're still undefeated and thats great, but last night feels like 2 points lost.

It seems every home grown keeper gets little credit compared to brought in goalies

Laughable that you say his distribution was "poor" (it wasn't) or that he flapped at "one".  Even you admit the other keepers' distribution was poor but Philips' was and is 100 times better.  And there was, yet again, nothing he could do about the goal.

To be honest I'm cutting him some slack, every game so far this season he's flapped from a cross or corner, Out of position running into no mans land. Just because his distribution wasnt as bad as Forest doesnt make it acceptable. You can throw glitter at a turd and all that.

You can call it laughable, but it's my opinion.

He's a good shot-stopper, but general presence and commanding of the box, no not for me.
    Yes, it's a laughable opinion 
  • Options
    I think people are being a bit hard on Aneke. Forest had already weathered the hurricane - it was a bit more than a storm - and the second half was an even affair for me as we couldn't sustain the levels of fitness to continue to play that way. It isn't so much the quick passing and movement, although that is tiring, but the pressing without the ball that is hard to sustain. I think it is impossible to sustain it for 90 minutes, but 70-75 is achievable and that should take us past most teams.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

To be honest I'm cutting him some slack, every game so far this season he's flapped from a cross or corner, Out of position running into no mans land. Just because his distribution wasnt as bad as Forest doesnt make it acceptable. You can throw glitter at a turd and all that.

He's a good shot-stopper, but general presence and commanding of the box, no not for me.
    You should calm the nerves a bit then

If he comes for a cross he catches it - Dont think I've ever seen him drop one yet... think there was one moment last night when he chose to punch which was a bit iffy but thats because he had a team mate and Forest player right underneath him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The result wasn’t deserving of the performance. I’m under no illusions this season will be tough but if we play football that way at least it will be a joy to watch 
  • Options
    Such a good performance first half and top of the league for a period.

Forest more up for it second half and we didn't have the same rhythm.

That I was disappointed with a point speaks volumes about the superb start we've made to this season.

Otzumer was quality and can see him being a favourite. Little magician 

Great atmosphere too.
    Well done Charlton 
  • Options
    The Forest manager was very honest in his assessment that they were lucky to get a point.
  • Options

Yes, it's a laughable opinion 

in your opinion... and looking at players marks thread it appears a few others have a 'laughable' opinion
  • Options
    PWR (Too tired last night after battling with the A2 slip road and lane closures. I had driven back to Kent from Gloucestershire earlier in the day and taken on the M25 which is more than enough in a day at my age ).

That first half was the best sustained period of football from a Charlton team that I can remember in a long, long time. The whole team was like a well oiled machine, purring like Purrington. Yet despite that wonderful performance we actually only came away with one goal and at half time I texted @Len\'s_little_girl to say something along the lines of 'we were brilliant but if I was a Forest fan I'd be delighted to be only 1 down as we won't be able to match that in the second half.' 

As it happened I was proved right although had Jonathan Leko (who, like everyone else, had a fine match otherwise) put away the chance Taylor teed up for him early in the second half it might have been different.

Still if you'd offered me 8 points from 4 games in July I'd have said 'yes please.'

COYR
  • Options
    I marked Phillips a 6.5 but it isn't because I don't rate him. He wasn't to blame for the goal. I think he had a couple of shaky moments under pressure, but that can happen to all keepers, and the biggest reason for the comparatively low mark was a lack of any save to make.  
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with Phillips. Any GK slip or error is always magnified ten fold by dint of its impact. Been a solid performer for us since he won the shirt. A few errors yes but no more than any other keeper. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Re the A2........

Going home we tried getting on at Falconwood only to find it shut. No redirection signs as far as I could see anywhere.... good job I know the route home from Avery Hill.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with Phillips. Any GK slip or error is always magnified ten fold by dint of its impact. Been a solid performer for us since he won the shirt. A few errors yes but no more than any other keeper. 
    Phillips is a good keeper - some of the criticism he gets is ludicrous. I get the impression some of our fans are desperate not to like him.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    We were quality seeing as we were by all accounts playing against the best team ever created. Disappointing result as we played them off the park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Experience should warn a
    Dual sub at a corner,
    Will confuse and confound your teams play.
    Along comes Adomah, defence in a coma,
    And frightens those two points away.

From Tennyson Down,  Isle of Wight.

Fenk you, Fenk you.........
  • Options
    The truth is we played them off the park for 43 minutes. The best slick passing that anyone can remember in that first half.
    Last season we would have lost that game from 1-1. Remembering the Coventry home game when Ward got in Lyle's way and the counter attack resulted in a breakaway goal for a rare home lost in the dying embers of that game. (After being 1 up)

Interesting that the senior fans and basically anyone who has seen over a thousand games from Cafc knew we would drop our intensity because both Oztumer and Field are still working towards 90 minutes fitness(both played well, especially the wee man) and young Gallagher the boy wonder had to have a slight dip second half after playing 4 adult matches for the first time. Forest remembered they are an established team with the mix of ex Prem players and decent champ players.
    Not Barcelona but better opposition than we had played for 3 seasons before the start of this campaign.

Very encouraging in the short term.
    (that isn't a joke at the supreme talents of Erhun)
  • Options
    agim said:
    I still cant work out how Cullen is on our pitch and West Ham are still playing that old cart horse Mark Noble. Cullen would blossom around better players.
    Sssh!
  • Options
    Still conflicted the morning after. Elated at the display but gutted it didn't produce the win it deserved but that is football. Perhaps our work rate and closing down was always going to be hard to maintain for 90 mins but we were a joy to watch.

Possession, shots, corners (Forest had one and scored from it) are just meaningless stats.  Only goals count and we didn't quite do enough.

I left the ground thinking that if Grant was still with us we win that game but he isn't.

Brave rotation by Bowyer and he now has rested players for Saturday.  Selection then will be interesting.

And we still have Hemed and Kayel to come in.

Gallagher, Gullen and Lockyer (bar the goal) were dominant, Sarr had plenty of time and did little wrong, Field looked a different player than against Forest Green.  Taylor led the line brilliantly and is now, according to @cafcstats one goal away from equalling Fred Whitlow's 1929 record of scoring in each of the first five league games of the season.  Bowyer also saying it will be "impossible" to keep him in January.

Leko's pace and running were an essential part of how we played and it was his assist. When he starts taking his chances he'll be a fantastic player. Whenever that is.

That was exactly my thought this morning. Then I thought, if Grant was with us, where would Leko have featured in the eleven last night? If he would feature, whom else would we have left out? (I have no clue, just putting it out there for discussion)

Which then brings us to Hemed, whom I have never seen play. What kind of striker is he? If he is to play in a 4-4-2 as we did so effectively with Taylor-Grant, does that mean Leko probably won't start?

I think Leko is a fantastic signing, with the pace and skill to terrify every defence in this division, and a good attitude to go with it, but he is not the same kind of player as Grant. 

And these are all very positive questions to be able to ponder, even if they arise because, for all our fantastic approach play in the first half, we created relatively few clear cut chances.
  • Options
    Ironically I think because we gave them nothing first half and they were always organised defensively packed into their own half we struggled to set anyone up with space and a clear shooting opportunity, but did enough working from the wings to deserve more. Forest are no mugs in defence - the've conceded less than us, and several times they were good enough to read and intercept some near perfect through balls. 

it's a measure of how good you have to be to stick it in the net in this division.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The Forest manager was very honest in his assessment that they were lucky to get a point.
    They were lucky. The manager said Forest played badly, I disagree and maybe the forest players would agree Charlton were too good the first half and at times the passing was like that of a premiership team. 
    Managers should give credit to the opposition sometimes for just playing better football. That first half was brilliant.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Saying "shit" with a french accent really doesnt sound like a swear word!!
  • Options
    Never make one sub at a defensive corner,  let alone two.
    Couldn't get my head around that.