Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest | Wed 21 August | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    I think if we are up there around October/November, we will see efforts to keep Taylor. Also to improve Bowyer's contract. Not saying they will succeed, but they will happen.
    We are witnessing something special happening on the pitch, something most players don’t get to experience in their careers. If we are still up there in January only a fool would walk away from this squad before the end of the season they’ll carry the regret for the rest of their lives because the team will carry on but they won’t be part of it
    Like how Grant must be feeling - just the one win since he got to Huddersfield, isn’t it?
  • Options
    Yep all them memories will help pay the bills in ten years time 
  • Options
    Cheerful this morning Morts...

I get your point though, if we were paying real Championship wages I might disagree, but we ain't.  
  • Options
    Those saying sarr was outstanding did they miss the spanner foot pass that nearly let them in? On the half way line 
    Taylor gave the ball away once too. Purrington nearly let them in. Fairly sure I remember Gallagher, Cullen and Oztumer all giving the ball away once. 
  • Options
    The thing about getting extra money in your pay packet, particularly when you are a young man (which footballers are by the way) is the boost to spending grows proportionately and you probably are not that much richer or have significantly more in the bank for a rainy day.

move in January and you might find you are a bench warmer for 5 months if it’s an established team and surplus to requirement after that if the new manager and fans don’t love you just as much. Stay to the end of the season and be part of something special and you can name your price and stake your claim in a new team as everybody finds their feet again at the start of a new season
  • Options
    Don’t know if Damo on a whoosh but just cos he nicked the ball doesn’t me he then has carte blanche to do as he wishes .
    its reckless and dangerous and lucky ameobi didn’t break his leg 
  • Options
    That 45 was awsome
    On that showing 6 points from millwall is coming
    Get in
    Coyr
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t know if Damo on a whoosh but just cos he nicked the ball doesn’t me he then has carte blanche to do as he wishes .
    its reckless and dangerous and lucky ameobi didn’t break his leg 
    This might be me getting the rules wrong then - and if so fair enough it’s a red - I’m not on a whoosh.

i see him nick the ball but what could he do on the slide? He can’t avoid the player on the follow through it’s impossible.

If the rules state a red on the follow through after ball has been won then absolutely that’s a red
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Selective freeze frames going on here..... exactly as I thought. Field slides in and gets a toe on the ball. Hits it against their players left leg going in, which deflects the ball away. Field catches him with the follow through.

right decision
    May have been considered reckless as his follow through does catch him, but in his defence he clearly gets the ball first and does not get off the ground.

Contrast that with their potential red card. The player is jumping in and late. Definitely a red for me.

p.s. If their player was sent off they would not have been up there anyway!
    I think it was actually Ameobi who committed the bad tackle, wasn't it?  
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    From everything I've seen, it seems like Taylor will just do the same to us than he did to Wimbledon. 

He'll walk in the summer to a club at the top of the Chempionship/low end Prem club. 
    Oh. I must have been away too long. I didn't realise that nowadays players actually initiate a process by which they  choose whom they will play for, when, and what the new employer will pay them. I used to think that employers (clubs) themselves initiate things. 

Maybe I am just an old dinosaur but I used to think that as with any other employee, if you want to retain a player you accurately assess his market value and, assuming you want to keep him, pay him enough to make a move a way relatively inattractive. 

I can't be arsed to read what Bow has said because of course his real point is about Duchatelet's behaviour and not Lyle Taylor's.

• Options
    I think if we are up there around October/November, we will see efforts to keep Taylor. Also to improve Bowyer's contract. Not saying they will succeed, but they will happen.
    We are witnessing something special happening on the pitch, something most players don’t get to experience in their careers. If we are still up there in January only a fool would walk away from this squad before the end of the season they’ll carry the regret for the rest of their lives because the team will carry on but they won’t be part of it
    Like how Grant must be feeling - just the one win since he got to Huddersfield, isn’t it?
    I’m sure one look at his bank balance will cheer him up.
  • Options
    As many have said great first 45-55 mins blew them away with Cullen running the game. Just had that feeling that not taking the many chances would costs us. Had a few plastic prem friends message saying we looked class during the game. 

Might be an unpopular opinion but I thought Phillips was poor and looked uncomfortable all night weather coming for crosses or the ball at feet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m sure one look at his bank balance will cheer him up.
    I don’t think it’s all about the money.
  • Options
    All in all, it was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance, we should've had the game wrapped up at half time.

Oshilaja what a performance I have to say! loved his song as well haha. I think Solly now has some genuine competition at RB and maybe bows will start him again on saturday, I know I would. Cullen once again dominating the midfield.

I'm sorry I know Phillips is Charlton academy but I'm not convinced on him. I turn into a bag of nerves when the ball is played back to him or crosses come in. He flapped one yesterday, and his distribution yesterday was poor but not as bad as the Forest keepers lol. Amos to start the next game for me.

Obviously we're still undefeated and thats great, but last night feels like 2 points lost.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Must stress at this point as well that the subs had absolutely nothing to do with their goal. Nothing at all. The goal was caused by Lockey making a mistake in dealing with the ball in and it dropping incredibly favourably for Adomah. It's not like a spare man popped up while Pratley was ambling onto the field. Blaming the sub for the goal is a total red herring
    Watch it again. The ball bounced off Lockyer and Adomah reacted but Pratley didn't. I wonder if Field would have got there as he was on the pace of the game? 
    No, this is a misreading of the passage of play. Watch from when the ball comes in. Gallagher was the man marking Adomah. He got stuck with Lockyer's man running into him and let Adomah move a yard off him. Pratley was stood centrally to clear a ball delivered into the middle. The fact that he reacted and got closest to Adomah while Gallagher stayed put actually says a lot about Pratley and his reactions, and completely works against the point about subs not being 'ready' off a substitution. To be fair, I've watched it a couple more times now and Forest are clever with their movement. Cullen's man runs across Pratley and Lockyer's man runs across Gallagher. It creates space but you still have to get lucky with the ball dropping for you, which they did. The old trope of 'never make a sub when you're defending a corner' is making people see something that isn't there.
  • Options
    All in all, it was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance, we should've had the game wrapped up at half time.

Oshilaja what a performance I have to say! loved his song as well haha. I think Solly now has some genuine competition at RB and maybe bows will start him again on saturday, I know I would. Cullen once again dominating the midfield.

I'm sorry I know Phillips is Charlton academy but I'm not convinced on him. I turn into a bag of nerves when the ball is played back to him or crosses come in. He flapped one yesterday, and his distribution yesterday was poor but not as bad as the Forest keepers lol. Amos to start the next game for me.

Obviously we're still undefeated and thats great, but last night feels like 2 points lost.

It because Philips is Charlton academy that people aren't convinced by him.

It seems every home grown keeper gets little credit compared to brought in goalies

Laughable that you say his distribution was "poor" (it wasn't) or that he flapped at "one".  Even you admit the other keepers' distribution was poor but Philips' was and is 100 times better.  And there was, yet again, nothing he could do about the goal.

• Options
    Gutted when I got home from the game last night because it should have been three points in the bag. A lot happier this morning because I realise we are going to be real force in the Championship this season. First-half performance was the best we have played for a long, long time and showed we have no reason to be scared of any team. Plus, once the new players have gelled, we'll be even stronger. Otzumer made an impressive debut and looking forward to Hemed adding something different to strike force. Play-offs? Why not?
  • Options
    As with most on here, first half was as good as I've seen us play. I have to admit I thought playing Oztumer was a big gamble as didn't think he would be match fit, but he was quality, some great touches and got stuck in as well.

Lockyer was quality, not just the goal saving tackle, but his passing and composure on the ball.
    We should have made them pay in the first half and suffered for it, I thought Ameobi was incredibly lucky to avoid a red card, and their keeper was terrible (If Ederson was injured last season, this guy would have lost City the title).

In the end we tired out, which is no surprise, but the squad depth we now have with Hemed and Kayal still to come in is comforting.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Selective freeze frames going on here..... exactly as I thought. Field slides in and gets a toe on the ball. Hits it against their players left leg going in, which deflects the ball away. Field catches him with the follow through.

right decision
    I only saw it live on the night but I knew he got the ball first, and so did the ref.
    Sam Field's foot hits the ball low and then catches the player which should've been a penalty as the follow through caught the player in the box. Any retro viewing will see that no more action should be taken but the ref may get a rocket for missing the outcome of that tackle and not giving a yellow card. 

Typical of some CL members to want their own player sent off !
    The same folk would have slagged him off if he didn't try the tackle.

I'm really struggling to understand a few of our posters. 100's of fantastic passes first half and yet some want to highlight one or two passes that missed their target !

I get that Pearce is a great captain but at home we need Sarr and Lockyer to open up the play and get the team attacking.
    In away games it could still be Pearce and Lockyer. Mainly because both Jason and Naby favour the left CB role.

Don't miss a game to the Jan window because it will end in tears. Both Cullen and Taylor will be gone unless new dynamic owners arrive in the interim.

I don't expect that to happen.(dynamic new owners who pay the main striker the going rate for Championship goals and assists)

Happy and sad this morning.

• Options

It because Philips is Charlton academy that people aren't convinced by him.

It seems every home grown keeper gets little credit compared to brought in goalies

Laughable that you say his distribution was "poor" (it wasn't) or that he flapped at "one".  Even you admit the other keepers' distribution was poor but Philips' was and is 100 times better.  And there was, yet again, nothing he could do about the goal.

To be honest I'm cutting him some slack, every game so far this season he's flapped from a cross or corner, Out of position running into no mans land. Just because his distribution wasnt as bad as Forest doesnt make it acceptable. You can throw glitter at a turd and all that.

You can call it laughable, but it's my opinion.

He's a good shot-stopper, but general presence and commanding of the box, no not for me.