Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest | Wed 21 August | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    That first half football we played was sublime at times.
  • Options
    Magnificent first half. In fact, best I’ve seen since we outplayed Spurs at the valley many years ago ( can’t remember when ). Bowyer starting to look as if he is putting together a jigsaw. Once all the pieces are in place we will see his dream, we are capable , with some January help from Belgium, of a play off place and another trip to Wembley. I really do think so.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Best half of football for many years, total domination.

Bloody unlucky not to win, but Bowyer and co are building something special here.

Bring on Brentford.
    You can't wing the way we played in the first half - you have to be a bit special. Bowyer just has to tweak things and get the team 10% fitter and we will see more of that I'm sure. How many other sides can play like that is the valid question? Forest ultimately got a point, because they defended well and their keeper (Who it feels to me always has a mistake in him btw) had a very good game. I had them as one of the better sides in the division before today and I still have them there. They are just not as good as us.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    The first half was so dominant that it reminded me of Huddersfield away a few seasons ago. It was disappointing we couldn't sustain it in the second half but at least we now know we've got it in the locker. 
  • Options
    I should be pissed off after dropping two points but am still buzzing after that. Shame we couldn’t finish them off but if we play like that each week we will scare the living daylights out of a lot of teams. Adomah is quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Masicat, unless you have a different match in mind, we dominated Spurs in cup at WHL bit were undone in replay at Valley. Dave Madden superb.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I don't understand it...'don't make a sub at a corner.'

Everybody kept concentration apart from an unfortunate mistake by Lockyer. So stop trying to be Gary Neville in his inaccurate analytical truck and maybe read the ACTUAL passage of play that occured. 
    Said it above. Pratley was slow to react and Adomah got there first after it bounced off Lockyer.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    2 point average will see us to safety. 
    A 2 point average would give us 92 points and promotion...
  • Options
    Cullen and the midfield in the first half were just mesmerising. 

Forest always felt a threat though, so a draw was in the end not a surprise. Expect them to be up there at the end of the season. The subs they brought on were particularly strong and had an impact. 

Great game and atmosphere.

Be interesting to see who he starts on Saturday. 
  • Options
    That football we witnessed deserves a new song to be sung and ladies and gentlemen may I suggest  appropriately for the Valley it’s by The Who...Pinball Wizard...that football tonight  was like watching a pinball, but only faster

ever since I was a young boy 
    i’ve watched them play football 
    from Carlisle down to Brighton 
    I must have seen them all
    but I ain’t seen nothing like it
    in any amusement hall
    those Bowyer football wizards
    sure play a mean pinball...
    Have a Tommy film night organised with mates tomorrow night. Spot on I say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Cullen 6.5?  FFS!!!
    He certainly wasn't near a 9. Poor corners, poor free kicks. Wayward passing for the first 30 minutes. 

He improved passing and tackling second half, but certainly not enough for a 9.

P.s NO COMMENTS ON THE PLAYER RATINGS THREAD - as requested by Lancs.
  • Options
    Unbelievable first half, probably the best I've seen us play. Our passing and movement was excellent and we were so quick to press them when they had the ball, we should have been 2 or three up by ht. It was always going to be hard to keep it up for 90 minutes and unfortunately we let them back into it. Frustrating, but a great game to watch and the players can be proud of their efforts and the way they played.  
  • Options
    My opinions:

Phillips - Didn't have anything to do, couldn't save the goal
    Oshilija - MOTM for me, outstanding performance, in both halves of the pitch
    Lockyer - Fantastic but was poor for the goal
    Sarr - 2 or 3 terrible passes but largely untrobled and dominant
    Field - Wasn't fit enough, tidy first half, awful second and lucky not to give away a pen
    Gallagher - Tired and ineffective last 20 and should have done better with early chance (great touch to turn away from defender). Decent overall
    Cullen - Usual self, very solid
    Oztumer - Tidy but faded. 
    Taylor - Great finish and brilliant work for Leko's chance. Overall not one of his best games though. 
    Leko - Frustrating but showed glimpses of quality, will imagine that's going to be the norm with him. 

Overall we were very unlucky not to win. That first half was outstanding. Only slight criticism of Bowyer's selection as it was obvious that both Field and Oztumer would need to be substituted. But we played excellent first half and had a couple of decent chances. Not finishing those cost us but showed we can be competitve. If Hemed gets one of those chances tonight he scores and we win. 

We played them off the park with Kayal, Williams, Hemed, Aneke, Pearce and Solly not playing, we have outstanding strength. 

Special mention to Oshilija, I thought he was absolutely brilliant. Maybe we need another CB and Oshilija competes for the RB spot?

• Options
    Cullen and the midfield in the first half were just mesmerising. 

Forest always felt a threat though, so a draw was in the end not a surprise. Expect them to be up there at the end of the season. The subs they brought on were particularly strong and had an impact. 

Great game and atmosphere.

Be interesting to see who he starts on Saturday. 
    Disagree with that, I genuinely didn't feel threatened all game (maybe only Adomah who showed flashes but still did little other than score!). The only time they had a chance was lucky or we played ourself into trouble. Thought Lockyer was great but should have done much better with the goal. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Personally I thought the subs were badly timed and caused us to fall backwards and lose all momentum. 

From the half we seemed to lose control in midfield and lost presence up top. 

Oshilaja man of the match. 
  • Options
    I admire Phil Parkinson, but it baffles me that Oztumer was such a bit part player for Bolton last season when you saw what he did tonight when not even fully fit.
  • Options
    1-1 was a disappointing result to say the least. But there were a lot of positives to take from the performance. However, what really infuriated me was Aneke's work ethic when he came on. Didn't live anywhere near up to Bowyer's standards in terms of effort. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    From everything I've seen, it seems like Taylor will just do the same to us than he did to Wimbledon. 

He'll walk in the summer to a club at the top of the Chempionship/low end Prem club.