Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest | Wed 21 August | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    Re the A2........

Going home we tried getting on at Falconwood only to find it shut. No redirection signs as far as I could see anywhere.... good job I know the route home from Avery Hill.
    I feel your pain, golfie.

Utter madness on the A2 . Couldn't get back on it until Dartford Heath so a 75 minute drive took us 2 hours. WTF !!!!

Just as well we were still buzzing after that magnificent 1st half performance and another deserved point on the board.

Not much to add except to say Oz was a Turkish Delight on legs ( and 15 year old grandson's new favourite as he's around the same height) and that I'd hoped Bonne would get another opportunity to show his pace/skills instead of Chuks. But, hey, what do I know ? 

Our lads , together with their management, are making a strong statement to our fellow Championship clubs....

Ignore us at your peril. 

Long may it last .
  • Options
    To come away pissed off with a 1-1 draw shows just how much we have progressed under Bowyer. Last season our 4th game of the season was a 1-1 draw at..........Accrington. 
    Yeah, but clb74 said he enjoyed the games equally :-)
  • Options
    To come away pissed off with a 1-1 draw shows just how much we have progressed under Bowyer. Last season our 4th game of the season was a 1-1 draw at..........Accrington. 
    Yeah, but clb74 said he enjoyed the games equally :-)
    Plenty of 1-1s under Russell Slade too....
  • Options
    All in all, it was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance, we should've had the game wrapped up at half time.

Oshilaja what a performance I have to say! loved his song as well haha. I think Solly now has some genuine competition at RB and maybe bows will start him again on saturday, I know I would. Cullen once again dominating the midfield.

I'm sorry I know Phillips is Charlton academy but I'm not convinced on him. I turn into a bag of nerves when the ball is played back to him or crosses come in. He flapped one yesterday, and his distribution yesterday was poor but not as bad as the Forest keepers lol. Amos to start the next game for me.

Obviously we're still undefeated and thats great, but last night feels like 2 points lost.

It because Philips is Charlton academy that people aren't convinced by him.

It seems every home grown keeper gets little credit compared to brought in goalies

Laughable that you say his distribution was "poor" (it wasn't) or that he flapped at "one".  Even you admit the other keepers' distribution was poor but Philips' was and is 100 times better.  And there was, yet again, nothing he could do about the goal.

To be honest I'm cutting him some slack, every game so far this season he's flapped from a cross or corner, Out of position running into no mans land. Just because his distribution wasnt as bad as Forest doesnt make it acceptable. You can throw glitter at a turd and all that.

You can call it laughable, but it's my opinion.

He's a good shot-stopper, but general presence and commanding of the box, no not for me.
    Yes, it's a laughable opinion 
    He did flap at one or two last night, it’s an area of his game he needs to improve on and I’m sure he will. Thought his distribution was ok last night. 

He still has to prove himself in this league, as do most of our players but he’s not a weak link and Amos should keep him on his toes. 
  • Options
    The first time I have watched the team live since the play-off final, and fans on here saying we were not as good a squad as last season, well that first half blew me away, I wanted to give every Charlton player 9. Disappointing second half, did they step up or did we slow down, second best most of the time and knew they would score, just hoped we could score again, I felt like most players not better than a 7, so ended up giving them all 8. Sorry, not used to scoring games. We still have two players to come in and other players still not match fit, so if we can reproduce that first half regularly, who knows
  • Options
    @lyletaylor90 bags his fourth in four games as the Addicks impress at The Valley, but have to settle for a point with 1-1 draw with @Nffc

• Options
    Bowyer: “We deserved more. That first 45 minutes is the best 45 minutes I’ve seen us play since I've been in charge."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This was a very superior performance by us in the first half. I noted that we didn't have any of our "over-age" players in the starting XI. It looks like Bowyer and Jackson have got the players up to a really good level in terms of accurate passing, first time challenges and generally creative running about: hence the need for a very fit, young squad. We had 8-9 good chances in the first 45 minutes...but only managed one goal. Which is where I guess Hemed will come in. In the secong half Forest got a grip on the game. To be honest - given their squad is significantly bigger and more experienced than ours - this was no real surprise. I think we'll see a lot of this in 2019-2020. Charlton out of the traps very quickly, getting an early goal and hanging on to claw a result from games that we might lose if any other tactics were deployed.

A draw ended up being a very fair result last night.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Charlton will find it impossible to keep Lyle Taylor if he continues scoring run, admits Lee Bowyer

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/997477359?-11197:833
  • Options
    Thought we were unlucky tonight. Great first half and needed a second goal...loved it when we scored when they were taking the piss out of our song.
    What song Valley Floyd Road?
  • Options
    Phillips: decent all round
    Oshilaja: terrific effort, left it all on the pitch, a lesser character might have bailed when he got done by the amoeba
    Lockyer:  good vision, one goal saving tackle, decent positioning, dodgy passing at times, his best game yet
    Sarr: strong, good vision, mostly decent distribution
    Purrington: this bloke's quality at both ends of the pitch
    Cullen: probably playing further forward than he's really comfortable but he's well at home at this level
    Field: never really got up to speed, lucky with his challenge on the amoeba, least good on the night
    Gallagher: he's a find, if he stays level headed we need to keep him all season, strong, committed, skilled
    Oztumer: best single Charlton performance since Paolo Di Canio away at pompey, how good will he be when he's fully fit?
    Leko: good attacking outlet, strong, faded somewhat after an hour, final decisions could be better - pass or shoot
    Taylor: does everything we should expect and more besides
    Williams: terrific, crossing especially, with he and Erhun oppo defenses are soiling themselves profusely
    Referee:  piss poor, let far too much go then reaped the inevitable rewards and made a massive cock of himself 

Aneke: is this bloke fit? he was blowing out his arse after 10 minutes, strong, direct, skillful but looked a (big) boy amongst the men on show last night
    Pratley: he'll be back in v Brentford, Field not yet strongly challenging for that role.

Page 1 of the coaching manual: don't change anything before a defensive set play - Bowyer what the actual frig??  One  mistake doesn't spoil the whole thing, so long as it doesn't happen again...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep all them memories will help pay the bills in ten years time 
    The thing about getting extra money in your pay packet, particularly when you are a young man (which footballers are by the way) is the boost to spending grows proportionately and you probably are not that much richer or have significantly more in the bank for a rainy day.

Only if you are an idiot.

(I speak from experience. I was an idiot).
  • Options
    I think people are being a bit hard on Aneke. Forest had already weathered the hurricane - it was a bit more than a storm - and the second half was an even affair for me as we couldn't sustain the levels of fitness to continue to play that way.

It isn't so much the quick passing and movement, although that is tiring, but the pressing without the ball that is hard to sustain.

I think it is impossible to sustain it for 90 minutes, but 70-75 is achievable and that should take us past most teams.
    The defence is decent but it's not our main strength. Dropping deeper and inviting teams on to us seems to invariably lead to our conceding.

The thing was that we didn't put the game to bed while we were so dominant.

We must learn to kill off teams and put the game out of reach.

• Options
    I think if we are up there around October/November, we will see efforts to keep Taylor. Also to improve Bowyer's contract. Not saying they will succeed, but they will happen.
    We are witnessing something special happening on the pitch, something most players don’t get to experience in their careers. If we are still up there in January only a fool would walk away from this squad before the end of the season they’ll carry the regret for the rest of their lives because the team will carry on but they won’t be part of it
    Unless someone offers them 5 x their salary. 
  • Options
    First time seeing that.  Do not do Sky just follow the match thread. May I just say...

THAT IS FUCKING QUALITY
  • Options
    Pretty much most of those passes were unnecessary. 16 of them were in our own half & not going anywhere. 2 in particular (from Sarr to Gallagher & back again) were over a distance of about 10 yards & which a couple of 8 year olds could muster.

Don't get me wrong it was a great goal ( we dont score too many headed goals on the run......proper old school) but 22 passes..??  Give me a break. 
    I love you golfie.

I often think I'm a miserable old git but my virtual countenance is serene and sunny compared to yours sometimes!

You make me feel like an optimist.
  • Options
    Pretty much most of those passes were unnecessary. 16 of them were in our own half & not going anywhere. 2 in particular (from Sarr to Gallagher & back again) were over a distance of about 10 yards & which a couple of 8 year olds could muster.

Don't get me wrong it was a great goal ( we dont score too many headed goals on the run......proper old school) but 22 passes..??  Give me a break. 
    Watching that from the Cupboard End I thought that was a superb goal; one of the best team goals we've scored for a long, long time.

Yes, the passes may have been "in our own half & not going anywhere" but the Forest players were unsure of whether to press or not. There were a lot of darting runs off the ball by the midfield (a couple of those could be seen in the clip) that were pulling the oppo about and eventually a big enough space opened up in the middle for Gallagher to make his break.

Surely a patient (© Russell Slade) build up with an end product is better than two little passes followed by a big hoof upfield giving the ball back to the other team?