Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest | Wed 21 August | POST-MATCH VIEWS

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Pretty much most of those passes were unnecessary. 16 of them were in our own half & not going anywhere. 2 in particular (from Sarr to Gallagher & back again) were over a distance of about 10 yards & which a couple of 8 year olds could muster.

Don't get me wrong it was a great goal ( we dont score too many headed goals on the run......proper old school) but 22 passes..??  Give me a break. 
    Nurse!
  • Options
    Pretty much most of those passes were unnecessary. 16 of them were in our own half & not going anywhere. 2 in particular (from Sarr to Gallagher & back again) were over a distance of about 10 yards & which a couple of 8 year olds could muster.

Don't get me wrong it was a great goal ( we dont score too many headed goals on the run......proper old school) but 22 passes..??  Give me a break. 
    Nurse!
    Christ if you were a Liverpool fan you’d be tearing your head out every game.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Nurse!
    Sorry   Meant for golfaddick
  • Options
    Can someone post a video of the goals with actual commentary please (and I’m not talking about the guy from Valley Pass). 
  • Options
    This was the first time I took the plunge with NowTV.  

I was really excited by the way we played in the first halve. The football was breathtaking and must have surprised all of us given pre-match comments on the team selection. The first halve football honestly reminded me of Liverpool during their dominance of English and European football.

Ok, so we weren't playing the Forest of the Clough era but all credit to the team and coaching. Just a pity we couldn't score more to cover our tired second half. 

Disappointing not to take all 3 points after being so dominant but thoroughly enjoyable.

Let's hope that we can keep it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Acab said:
    Acab said:

Nurse!
    All I was pointing out that you could easily say "that was a 50 pass move" when 45 of the passess are between the goalkeeper & a solitary defender. The move doesn't really start until Gallagher picks it up in midfield & passes it out wide. The rest is just window dressing. 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Acab said:

Nurse!
    All I was pointing out that you could easily say "that was a 50 pass move" when 45 of the passess are between the goalkeeper & a solitary defender. The move doesn't really start until Gallagher picks it up in midfield & passes it out wide. The rest is just window dressing. 
    That is correct but when Man city scored after 40 passes last season they were praised from pass  1 from the keeper and it was only after 30 passes that they drove forward into attacking mode.
    Last night was mesmeric from Cafc in that first half. Despite only scoring one that was the most energy and high press I have ever seen from a Charlton side. The defenders played their part in the one sided first 43 minutes.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Acab said:

Nurse!
    It'a all about possession though, Golfie.

The aim is to keep possession.
    The thinking is the oppo can't score without the ball. But the team in possession can.

As we did last night, with 22 passes in the build up.

• Options
    "We were frightening," was Bowyer's verdict on the first half.  Sabri Lamouchi, Forest manager, was magnanimous: "We are lucky to get one point because they played much better than us ... More quickly, more aggressive, more compact."
    Our display in the first half was exhilarating and thrilling.  The compactness that Lamouchi admired was coupled with quick passing, close control, and swift pace - especially down the right wing.  Oztumer had instant impact: seizing possession, extricating play from tight spots, and sending perfectly weighted balls to willing runners.  One of whom was Leko.
    He has a mixed reputation at West Brom of slipping past opponents yet failing with the delivery.  Not last night: his crosses were hard and accurate, including the one for Taylor's superb headed goal.  Lockyer's last-ditch intervention to deny Grabban just as he was about to fire from eight yards out was sensational.  We could have been two or three up at the break. 
    We knew Forest would step up in the second half.  One of the pleasures of the Championship is watching a higher calibre of football from our opponents.  Forest's fluent moves and long, accurate, diagonal passes became a dangerous threat.  Yet their goal was scored after Bowyer's inexplicable breaking of an unwritten rule: Never make a substitution when defending a corner.  The cross wasn't cleared and Adomah, himself a sub, buried the loose ball.
    Gallagher is hungry, physical, and astute with his passing: the thinking-man's Lapslie.  Williams almost scored from a left-wing cross that evaded the keeper and flashed past the post.  Taylor received Oshilaja's measured pass near the byline, deceived both keeper and defender, and set up Leko for our best chance of the second half. 
    This was stirring, pulsating stuff; under Bowyer our attacking instincts are a joy to watch.  Bring on Brentford!    

I used to think wtf when I read your post match views Viewfinder, now I find myself looking forward to them.
    Maybe we have just found a level of performance befitting your unique outlook.
    And nairy a Hales or Robinson in sight.
    Brilliant  :)
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Acab said:

Nurse!
    The ‘defensive’ passes are relevant though, they’re, in the main, designed to draw the opposition forward so eventually they’re out of shape and our skilled midfielders can exploit the space behind. Purrington and Sarr showed great patience and precision.

Wonderful goal.
    I’m glad someone said it. It’s literally football knowledge 101.

I think Golfie thinks Sarr should should hold onto the ball, stand still with it for 30 seconds until Taylor has space to go through on goal. 
  • Options
    Watch Gallagher. He got the ball about three times wasn’t challenged then when their bloke came near him he turned and was off. Great play. 
  • Options
    Isn't so obvious from the TV footage because of the angle but the change of pace over half a yard Leko injected to get past his tight marker was special.
  • Options
    LIKE WATCHING BRAZIL !!!!

Dear Brazilians,

I spent a great yesterday playing with my grandchildren. I wonder if they will survive to share a similar joy. The concept of global genocide is an evil beyond comprehension, would you not agree?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LIKE WATCHING BRAZIL !!!!
    Dear Brazilians,

I spent a great yesterday playing with my grandchildren. I wonder if they will survive to share a similar joy. The concept of global genocide is an evil beyond comprehension, would you not agree?

If you want a thread about the Amazon burning, create one. 

This is a thread about football. Specifically a game in which we played the best first half I have seen us play since the Nationwide Div 1 days.

Not saying the Amazon isn't important, it's simply not "General Charlton" or anything to do with post match views.
  • Options
    We were on fire in that 1st half. 
  • Options
    Hello Dazzler.
    LIKE WATCHING BRAZIL.......... CHARLTONS GOAL AGAINST FOREST.......... OBVIOUSLY THE IRONIC HUMOUR WAS TOO HIGH A CROSS FOR A FEW TO CONNECT WITH.  I MAY TRY POSTING IN CARTOON FORM TO MAKE IT EASIER NEXT TIME. INCIDENTALLY, SHOULD YOU BE FURTHER CONFUSED, MY CONCERN FOR THE AMAZON DOES NOT MAKE ME A FOREST SUPPORTER. I WAS SUPPORTING CHARLTON PROBABLY BEFORE YOUR FATHER WAS BORN. PLEASE CHEER UP!  
  • Options
    Hello Dazzler.
    LIKE WATCHING BRAZIL.......... CHARLTONS GOAL AGAINST FOREST.......... OBVIOUSLY THE IRONIC HUMOUR WAS TOO HIGH A CROSS FOR A FEW TO CONNECT WITH.  I MAY TRY POSTING IN CARTOON FORM TO MAKE IT EASIER NEXT TIME. INCIDENTALLY, SHOULD YOU BE FURTHER CONFUSED, MY CONCERN FOR THE AMAZON DOES NOT MAKE ME A FOREST SUPPORTER. I WAS SUPPORTING CHARLTON PROBABLY BEFORE YOUR FATHER WAS BORN. PLEASE CHEER UP!  
    Caps lock key is stuck on your keyboard
  • Options

26mins on wed 21st august 2019.

7.45-8.11pm.

I stepped into a hot tub time machine and entered a negative reality inversion.

for 26 minutes of my life,
    eleven human males.entered the ether.

The air above the clouds.

not one football team,
    alive or dead,
    has ever reached this advanced stage of zen.

preach.

• Options
    I'm wondering if people have been let out for the BH weekend.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Acab said:
    Acab said:

Nurse!
    You can say that, but all passes contribute as the game is not static and people can move in and out of position. If there are 22 uniterupted passes, that is an amazing total. It is right to praise and celebrate that. 

One of my fundamental beliefs in football, which I have put into practice managing in youth football, is to work out the comfortable pass score of your side. This will be influenced by the quality of your opponents as well as the quality of your players. We got promoted three divisions last season and the number I put on my team was three (including simple passes). That is, I wanted us to get the ball up quickly and try to have a chance within three passes. I have a video of us beating a vastly superior side ability wise 4-1 (who went on the win the league) and we never exceeded three passes the whole game! And we missed a penalty!

That probably makes me a John Beck, but I am not an advocate of the long ball game. If my team was a 10 pass team, I would get them playing passing football. 22 passes against a very good side like Forest is exceptional and speaks volumes about the quality of player we have at the club. Have any Championship teams beaten that number? Will any teams beat that number? It is a joy to watch teams that can pass like that btw.
  • Options
    You have to hope Fulham will smash loads of records spending over 145 million over the last 3 windows.