Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Quite extraordinary to have a striker like Marriott scoring 27 league goals in 2017/18, yet only coming 9th, which was 3 places below us when our leading striker was Josh Magennis!
    Peterborough's issue is the fact they go after attacking players (I guess for the higher sell on) but dont focus on their defence enough

Same appears to be happening again this season (Toney: 15-goals | Eisa: 13-goals | Maddison: 9-goals) yet sit 10th

Only Rotherham have scored more goals than them but only the bottom 7 clubs have conceded more
  • SexyDave said:
    Heard that Maddison will be announced tomorrow. Fingers crossed 
    That may well be true.....but not necessarily to us!
  • Ok sorry last one from me with tweets from Nixon about Maddison

So from what it sounds like, we are the highest bidders, Maddison might not be keen on the move and another club are trying to get him another way, I've read that as a swap deal of sorts. Either way not the best news to hear, hopefully it's all bollocks 

• Nixon says the fee he heard we bid was 1.5 million and not the 2.5 that matches Maddisons release clause. Does tie in with Dmac saying they had accepted an offer rather than they had no choice 
    Didn’t their chairman also claim we’d triggered his release clause too?

So much bullshit flying around at the moment. 
    Don't think he did, did he?
    Was pretty sure I read a tweet on here somewhere but I could be mistaken. 

• Nixon says the fee he heard we bid was 1.5 million and not the 2.5 that matches Maddisons release clause. Does tie in with Dmac saying they had accepted an offer rather than they had no choice 
    Didn’t their chairman also claim we’d triggered his release clause too?

So much bullshit flying around at the moment. 
    Don't think he did, did he?
    Was pretty sure I read a tweet on here somewhere but I could be mistaken. 
    I did. 

• Valley11 said:
    So we’ve lost Bielik, Aribo, Bauer and Cullen from the play off winning team. 
    Now Gallagher and possibly Taylor from this season. In under a year Bowyer is having to rebuild again. And in Jan. And in a relegation scrap.
    I hope Matt S really understands football and the massive task faced by Bowyer and his team. We need a load of reinforcements imo. And quick. 
    Doesnt help its January, you get absolutely no time to do any business

Clubs will be reluctant to lose key players because it'll be just as hard to replace them

If sensible we should get in a handful now to see us through to 21st in the League and properly rebuild in the summer
  • I’d absolutely love to see a Marriott and Maddison partnership at Charlton, but I just can’t see it. It would cost over £3m (the price they paid for him) and he’s already on serious dough, he’s not going to take a smaller wage. Southall seems to bang on about sticking to a sustainable ‘model’, and this deal would decimate that model, as well as our wage structure. However, you never know. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I hope I’m proved wrong but never in a million years will Peterborough sell their two best players in January. Maddison has only been allowed to go due to his contract situation, whereas Toney still has a while to go on his. DMAC is far too savvy to throw the chance of promotion away just for a pound note 
    Promotion is already unlikely.
    They are 9th and heading downwards.
    All the more reason not to sell your two best players in January 
    But that is what Peterborough do, buy cheap and sell on at a big profit.

Then they buy another youngster and hope to sell him on.

Good business model but must be frustrating as hell for their fans.
    Know that feeling well
    Lookie,konsa,grant,Gomez and aribo have all made the step up from league 1 
    I wonder from where??

When did Gomez play in league one?  I think it was Lookman's performance in the championship that got him his move tbh.

I think it depends what your expectations are.  I think Brentford fans might start getting the hump if they continue with there current policy for 3 or 4 more years and don't go up.  For example.  I think MOST of us would be happy with it for a few years but the SOME would get restless with "standing still". 

I will happy just to see a team that doesnt have to go home early to finish their homework?
    That said I dont mind a bit of youth in the ranks but our trouble is we always sell them or have to give them back
    Unfortunately it has always been so
  • edited January 2020
    Valley11 said:
    So we’ve lost Bielik, Aribo, Bauer and Cullen from the play off winning team. 
    Now Gallagher and possibly Taylor from this season. In under a year Bowyer is having to rebuild again. And in Jan. And in a relegation scrap.
    I hope Matt S really understands football and the massive task faced by Bowyer and his team. We need a load of reinforcements imo. And quick. 
    Doesnt help its January, you get absolutely no time to do any business

Clubs will be reluctant to lose key players because it'll be just as hard to replace them

If sensible we should get in a handful now to see us through to 21st in the League and properly rebuild in the summer
    Maybe not but if we don’t sign at least five quality players this Jan, we’ll be staring down the barrel of Accrington Stanley twice a season
  • Sponsored links:

• SexyDave said:
    Also heard it was Gallagher that wanted to leave as he wants to be chasing play offs/promotion
    You heard wrong, it was Chelsea’s decision 100%
    This. 

Chelsea were the ones on the recall, as per a source I mentioned I had earlier on the Gallagher thread (someone who may or may not be on Chelsea's books).

Hope SexyDave is right about Maddison tomorrow though! And there's every chance my mate is misinformed, of course, and Dave has it bang on. 
  • Quite extraordinary to have a striker like Marriott scoring 27 league goals in 2017/18, yet only coming 9th, which was 3 places below us when our leading striker was Josh Magennis!
    I posted somewhere, that I found it "unique" that posh always have seemingly outstanding attacking players, start the season like a house on fire, then fizzle away.

Are the players really that good, are the rest just crap, or do they down tools when they don't get a January move? 
  • supaclive said:
    Again.  They haven't bought the club for £40m to watch it get relegated.

They'll buy the best from lower leagues, of the right age, with the right potential (sell on value) and won't scrimp on wages but won't overpay.

It's a business to them.  They won't be held to ransom.

Great. Let’s hope they’ve done a shed load of spade work then and it’s just formalities to get the deals done. The Bowyer contract situation doesn’t fill you with confidence on that score. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    SexyDave said:
    Also heard it was Gallagher that wanted to leave as he wants to be chasing play offs/promotion
    You heard wrong, it was Chelsea’s decision 100%
    This. 

Chelsea were the ones on the recall, as per a source I mentioned I had earlier on the Gallagher thread (someone who may or may not be on Chelsea's books).

Hope SexyDave is right about Maddison tomorrow though! And there's every chance my mate is misinformed, of course, and Dave has it bang on. 
    If Dave got Gallagher wrong I can't say I'm all that confident. 
  • Pulled out of Maddison deal
  • WSS said:
    Pulled out of Maddison deal
    Why?
  • WSS said:
    We haven't 😂😂😂
  • edited January 2020
    Had me at first 

• Sponsored links:

• WSS said: