Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Anyone else think that our inability to get deals done is because Bowyer and Gallen now lack the expertise and guidance of Thomas Driesen?
    Don’t think any of us appreciated how much power he wielded in the football world.
  • Jamie19 said:
    I have heard 3 names from various sources - 1 more reliable than others I must add. -  ill put the 3 names it ive heard -  Scott Fraser from Burton , Billy Gilmour ( loan from Chelsea ) - Matej Vydra. 
    Fraser and Maddison both on this list.
    Jordan Clark pushing 30! ;) 
  • Said every Friday but remember

Just because a player isnt announced by 12noon doesnt mean the deal wasnt completed before then in terms of eligibility for the game tomorrow
    said every Friday - don't worry there is always Monday ...
  • only problem with signing Fraser is he got injured in their midweek game with mk dons.
    worth a punt though been playing well.
  • only problem with signing Fraser is he got injured in their midweek game with mk dons.
    worth a punt though been playing well.
    He fits the usual template then, sign him up 😉
  • wmcf123 said:
    1 Maddison will not be costing £2.5M, probably less than £1M.

2 Ok he may not be the role model footballer but we didn't complain too much about Di Canio.

I hope we get him, but there's only one person that knows & that's him.

Unfortunately, Brum is closer than London for him.
    Di Canio was a world class player though.
    Top notch trainer as well, by all accounts
    That was the thing that struck me most of all watching Di Canio live. You knew he’d have skill and a footballing brain that others could only dream about but I couldn’t believe how hard the guy worked on the field.
    Best player I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.
    Allan Simonsen surely or did you only start going when we were in the Premiership 😀
    What he means is until 2003 the club didn’t allow high chairs in the ground. 
  • TEL said:
    TEL said:
    I really hope that Midfielder wasn't Mowatt or Maddison that we were penny pinching over, 52k a year extra is hardly crazy money for a proper player
    In the real world 52k a year is a lot of money
    In footballing terms at championship level it is absolutely f all though. I could understand if it was an extra 5k a week or so but 1k and a straight rejection is poor showing. Same as the Gnanduillet bid, ok so they want double, offer half and go from there, we have 0 bargaining skills unless it's for a player on the cheap by the sounds of things, this isn't league 1 anymore, we aren't gonna get by offering 4k a week 2 year contracts.

Football world isn't realistic as far as money goes I'm afraid.

5-8k a week contracts = more than likely bang average players = chance of relegation every season. How a group has spent millions and now won't break the wage structure ever so slightly is beyond me
    Not meant as a arguement by the way (its juest an awful lot of extra money), however if Id agreed terms and as has been speculated the agent then comes back and wants an extra grand a week, Id tell them to get off the bus too.
    I honestly wouldn't but it's all opinions mate. Reality is football is changing, a lot of footballers are ego maniacs and you really do pay for what you get in this league and the prem. It's not like league 1 where a work rate can outshine ability cause the ability is so much lower in that league. If we are not offering decent wages then we are in danger of being a Wigan, Rotherham, Barnsley etc type. Too good for league 1 but not showing enough ambition to stay in the championship. We have been told they are wealthy, 52k a year is a drop in the ocean football money wise. I just don't see how a player can not be worth the extra grand a week if it was someone of quality
  • Sponsored links:

• TEL said:
    TEL said:
    I really hope that Midfielder wasn't Mowatt or Maddison that we were penny pinching over, 52k a year extra is hardly crazy money for a proper player
    In footballing terms at championship level it is absolutely f all though. I could understand if it was an extra 5k a week or so but 1k and a straight rejection is poor showing. Same as the Gnanduillet bid, ok so they want double, offer half and go from there, we have 0 bargaining skills unless it's for a player on the cheap by the sounds of things, this isn't league 1 anymore, we aren't gonna get by offering 4k a week 2 year contracts.

5-8k a week contracts = more than likely bang average players = chance of relegation every season. How a group has spent millions and now won't break the wage structure ever so slightly is beyond me
    Not meant as a arguement by the way (its juest an awful lot of extra money), however if Id agreed terms and as has been speculated the agent then comes back and wants an extra grand a week, Id tell them to get off the bus too.
    I honestly wouldn't but it's all opinions mate. Reality is football is changing, a lot of footballers are ego maniacs and you really do pay for what you get in this league and the prem. It's not like league 1 where a work rate can outshine ability cause the ability is so much lower in that league. If we are not offering decent wages then we are in danger of being a Wigan, Rotherham, Barnsley etc type. Too good for league 1 but not showing enough ambition to stay in the championship. We have been told they are wealthy, 52k a year is a drop in the ocean football money wise. I just don't see how a player can not be worth the extra grand a week if it was someone of quality
    It doesn't sound like a lot, but if this player was offered 5k, and asked for 6k instead at the last minute, that's a 20% increase. (I think, terrible at maths). If Gallen said he wasn't worth it, I have to believe him.
  • TEL said:
    TEL said:

If they'd agreed an outer limit and the 52k broke it then they needed to pull out really. Pretty standard, then if the boss then gives you the chance to have a last stab then it goes on your head, gallen clearly didn't see that it represented value at that point. 

I'd like to think that the squad cohesion we seem to have demonstrated so far is because we have the right mix of players and personalities. Could be that gallen and bowyer feel they want a tight wage structure so that it keeps things on an even keel. No superstars rocking the boat or perceived to be lording it over others or whatever.
  • Anyone else think the Charlton twitter is suspiciously quiet this morning
  • Anyone else think that our inability to get deals done is because Bowyer and Gallen now lack the expertise and guidance of Thomas Driesen?
    I'm waiting for his book titled 'They Know Nothing. How I saved Charlton.'
  • Anyone else think the Charlton twitter is suspiciously quiet this morning
    Interested to monitor it today.  Presumably the team are travelling up to Preston today given the length of the journey?  
  • cabbles said:
    Anyone else think the Charlton twitter is suspiciously quiet this morning
    Interested to monitor it today.  Presumably the team are travelling up to Preston today given the length of the journey?  
    I saw Josh Davison and I think Chris Parkes at London Bridge this morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• On their way to Euston to get the train, saw a group of people in Hummel kit getting on at New Eltham this morning 
  • cabbles said:
    Anyone else think the Charlton twitter is suspiciously quiet this morning
    I saw Josh Davison and I think Chris Parkes at London Bridge this morning.
    Hope you got a few numbers mate, end of platforms 1&2 used to be a good spot. 😉
  • robroy said:
    Jamie19 said:
    I have heard 3 names from various sources - 1 more reliable than others I must add. -  ill put the 3 names it ive heard -  Scott Fraser from Burton , Billy Gilmour ( loan from Chelsea ) - Matej Vydra. 
    Fraser and Maddison both on this list.
    Jordan Clark pushing 30! ;) 
    So is Lyle Taylor.  :smile:

• Can't see us getting Gilmore in. He's been part of the Chelsea squad this year and ahead of Conor from their point of view in his development. Why would they recall Conor and then send us someone that they deem as better. If he's loaned out I can't see that being to us. 
  • Would much rather sign Josh Cullen full time than get Maddison, besides Google UK news
    reporting Birmingham now have bid accepted. He wants to go back up North
    so guess Birmingham (midlands) much better for him!
    Same knowledge of geography as Dale Stephens.
  • I vaguely remember reading before the transfer window we were looking at some young lad released from one of the big European clubs like Inter or something.  Assume nothing came of it - anyone else remember that?
    We had a guy called Fonseca playing for the under 23's. Seemed ok but looks to have disappeared.
    That was him.  Thanks.  
  • I am an optimist but there has gotta be some urgency to get some bodies in. 

Don't have to be world beaters or even marquee signings but we need some reinforcements ASAP or we will get dragged down into the dogfight.