Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• can we still include all the players that aren’t at the club in our injury list 
    mendonca , hunt , Rufus to be added to it 
    Quite upset that you didn’t put Gibbs
  • edited January 2020
    In a relegation dogfight now. A talented But raw arthritic 21 year old plus a midfielder from Barnsley and a PL loan doesn’t smack of loaded owners to me given the current plight.
    8hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus, give the new owners a chance to create user names and email addresses to connect to the server before you write them off. 

They probably don’t know where the tea and coffee are kept yet. 

Take a deep breath, give them time to settle in and actually sign players first
    You have a point but Bowyer has said he expects 3 players. Green is one. A midfielder from Barnsley is our cash target and a PL striker loan. That won’t keep us up.
    You’re right Shooters... Bowyer should be shouting from the roof tops that he’s desperate to sign anyone he can and has a bottomless pot of money to spend. It’s the surest way to get a good deal on the players he signs. 

I wonder what planet some of you lot live on sometimes. 
    Thats not what ive been saying and you know it. My point is without serious investment in the team in the next four weeks there is a very good chance of relegation. Of course I have no idea the budget or intention of the new owner but it doesn't matter. Do you really think that if for example Charlton were to approach Peterborough about Toney that it wouldn’t be common knowledge for every agent in about a day. I know even if it were true which I don’t think it is by the way that we are now “rich” you dont want to shout it from the rooftops but football is a very close knit world and what fees and wages are offered by clubs are common knowledge very quickly. Very nieve to think otherwise. Charltons league status is at present in serious risk and we will know just about everything we need about ESI by 1st February. 🌎 
  • In a relegation dogfight now. A talented But raw arthritic 21 year old plus a midfielder from Barnsley and a PL loan doesn’t smack of loaded owners to me given the current plight.
    8hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus, give the new owners a chance to create user names and email addresses to connect to the server before you write them off. 

You have a point but Bowyer has said he expects 3 players. Green is one. A midfielder from Barnsley is our cash target and a PL striker loan. That won’t keep us up.
    You’re right Shooters... Bowyer should be shouting from the roof tops that he’s desperate to sign anyone he can and has a bottomless pot of money to spend. It’s the surest way to get a good deal on the players he signs. 

Thats not what ive been saying and you know it. My point is without serious investment in the team in the next four weeks there is a very good chance of relegation. Of course I have no idea the budget or intention of the new owner but it doesn't matter. Do you really think that if for example Charlton were to approach Peterborough about Toney that it wouldn’t be common knowledge for every agent in about a day. I know even if it were true which I don’t think it is by the way that we are now “rich” you dont want to shout it from the rooftops but football is a very close knit world and what fees and wages are offered by clubs are common knowledge very quickly. Very nieve to think otherwise. Charltons league status is at present in serious risk and we will know just about everything we need about ESI by 1st February. 🌎 
    If we were to go after Toney (and i doubt we will) then i'd like to think we'd be sensible and get 2-3 other signings in first before announcing to the country we have 8m+ to spend on a striker.
  • In a relegation dogfight now. A talented But raw arthritic 21 year old plus a midfielder from Barnsley and a PL loan doesn’t smack of loaded owners to me given the current plight.

If we were to go after Toney (and i doubt we will) then i'd like to think we'd be sensible and get 2-3 other signings in first before announcing to the country we have 8m+ to spend on a striker.
    Is that how it works ? Negotiations are always tricky and deals happen when they happen and not when or in the order you want them to. 
  • edited January 2020
    In a relegation dogfight now. A talented But raw arthritic 21 year old plus a midfielder from Barnsley and a PL loan doesn’t smack of loaded owners to me given the current plight.

Also, how much do you have to pay an £8m striker? £20k pw? So that is another million a year... Then other players coming want parity, then you bust right through FFP.  Will be interesting to see what our owners do.  Frankly, I am just delighted RD has gone and that is more than enough for now.

Also, how much do you have to pay an £8m striker? £20k pw? So that is another million a year... Then other players coming want parity, then you bust right through FFP.  Will be interesting to see what our owners do.  Frankly, I am just delighted RD has gone and that is more than enough for now.
    In the sense of who we sign or how we get around FFP?

Is that how it works ? Negotiations are always tricky and deals happen when they happen and not when or in the order you want them to. 
    There have been many cases in football where a team might want to do a couple of deals first. For example if Peterborough are selling him then they may want to get a replacement lined up first so the other club don't know they have the Toney fee to burn through. 

If we went out and bought Toney tomorrow, it'd obviously be a huge statement of intent but would then also up the price of every other player we go after this month.
  • Sponsored links:

• I felt reassured after Sages post and completely agree with his sentiments. I have had a bet with my brother in law that we will get more points than Millwall over the remaining fixtures. I am confident that we will be fine this season and excited by the future. Don't understand the negativity of so many on here,  COYR!
  • Sell: Taylor

Buy: Toney 

Simple. 
    Problem is we need Toney (or similar) in with Taylor still in the building.

Letting Taylor goes means signing two new decent strikers and our recent history of that is pretty poor...

Peterborough wouldn't let Toney go in summer even for £4M to push for promotion. They're doing exactly that so if they sell at all I expect his value will now be closer to £10M!

Rather frustrating that they have Toney who we chased in the summer as well as Eisa who we chased in Jan (both banging in goals)
  • Sell: Taylor

Buy: Toney 

Simple. 
    Problem is we need Toney (or similar) in with Taylor still in the building.

Letting Taylor goes means signing two new decent strikers and our recent history of that is pretty poor...

Peterborough wouldn't let Toney go in summer even for £4M to push for promotion. They're doing exactly that so if they sell at all I expect his value will now be closer to £10M!

Rather frustrating that they have Toney who we chased in the summer as well as Eisa who we chased in Jan (both banging in goals)
    Even more frustrating that Tommy wouldnt let us sign Eisa as thought he was overpriced

I imagine thats the case anyway as he of course spoke with the Peterborough owner on twitter saying he'd paid too much for him
  • We're going to miss Tommy Dreisen.

How will Steve Gallen cope?

• Herbie Kane has joined Hull on loan
  • Just received from my brother. It’s a rumour 🤷‍♂️
  • James86 said:
    Just received from my brother. It’s a rumour 🤷‍♂️
    I said this a few pages back. I think its nailed on....I have no inside knowledge, just a hunch  
  • I can’t see it. Other clubs will be above us in the pecking order 
  • Sponsored links:

In the sense of who we sign or how we get around FFP?
    It’s also about competing though. If you want to progress you must face up to paying the going rate. People I hope we as a club aspire to sign like Cullen come at a cost because they are very good players. You pay them what the market rate is or they go elsewhere. It’s as simple as that. Yes there are always deals out there to be had and you can cite Williams who is probably on a lot less than he’s actually worth but he’s happy and has an injury record which are both factors in his worth. Having said that. The most important person is the manager. A good manager always gives the team a fighting chance as with Bowyer now and Curbishley before him. Both punching above the teams weight. 
  • With our injuries he's nailed on to get a start.
  • edited January 2020
    Sage said:
    Herbie Kane has joined Hull on loan
    Don’t panic. Was a target in the summer but has no experience in the Championship. We have new targets now. 
    Oh not panicking, just highlighting a target has gone elsewhere, wasnt sure if we'd still be interested

Fully expected him to go to Rangers actually

Not surprised he's ended up with Grant McCann though, its probably a carbon copy of Josh Cullen going where he trusts the Manager
  • Dizzle said:
    I can’t see it. Other clubs will be above us in the pecking order 
    like Leeds... who didn't play him. we have the relationship recently with Beilik, more in the past with Coquelian etc. they know he will play, he know he will play and arguably our footballing styles are more suited to development than say a ram raid club like Preston/ QPR . Unless it's Bristol/ Brentford (who play football ) then why would we be down the list??
    Well the two clubs you mentioned, Bristol and Brentford seem to be in the market for a striker. Probably Swansea too. Plus there are likely to be more than just Championship clubs interested. 

I read earlier that Arteta hasn’t decided if he wants to loan him back out yet too. 
     I would be delighted to be proved wrong, he would be an amazing signing for us. I just can’t see it though. 
  • Know of the permanent name we are trying to get  The perfect fit for us.
    After you said he's from London and has captained his side i've been thinking about who this is, Is it Josh Cullen?
  • edited January 2020
    I think we have as much chance as getting Nketiah as anyone else in this division.

We have no chance of Brewster IMHO due to his relationship with Swansea's manager from England U17s.

I imagine we will need to reassure that they wont be overplayed but I dont think that is the reason Gallagher may move on - the reason he is being linked with Burnley is because he is absolute mustard. He will only move if it is to PL team IMHO.

I dont know how much Lyle has lost out in the 6 months he has been on an outdated contract. However, he was happy to sign the one he is currently on in Summer 2018. It's not like he has been overlooked whilst others have been sorted out either - even Bowyer is in the same boat.

I think Lyle has everything to lose moving in January from a footballing perspective. Financially, if Middlesboro or Stoke etc etc want to give him 4 years at 20K a week, I will wish him the best but quietly chuckle when it doesn't work out in football terms. I understand that he hasn't yet made millions from football so excuse him on this point alone.