Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bristol City | Boxing Day | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Diedhiou didn't have time to kick Pearce this time as he only came on the last few minutes.
  • Options
    Totally brilliant, hadn’t realised a video was attached. 
  • Options
    Too busy to say much, but thanks for making my Xmas Charlton.
    1-2 down and I didn't see that comeback happening, no way Jose.

They all did their best and played well, but I thought Pratley who was everywhere, Doughty & Bonne's goals were outstanding.

Magnificent stuff (ps I thought our winner reminded me of Hull's last gasp winner - karma).
  • Options
    Shouldn't bé surprised about Stroud. He's a Gillingham fan.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Seeing Diédhiou screaming at Lockyer on the floor after their second goal makes the victory all the sweeter!
    The fact Lockyer leaves him on his arse before teeing up Bonne for the assist is even better

Didnt see Diedhiou after their second goal till you said, proper little prick isnt he
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Totally brilliant, hadn’t realised a video was attached. 
    Same here. Great skills - whoever made that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shouldn't bé surprised about Stroud. He's a Gillingham fan.
    Wiki says he's a Luton fan so luckily for them, never takes charge of their games
  • Options
    Sounds like Jamie Reid from BBC London; he covered the Friday night game against Hull on the radio.

His football commentary always sounds a bit flat to my ears.

Doesn't he also do a bit of cricket comms on Radio Kent?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I might be one of the few to admire Oshilajs's contribution yesterday. Played out of position, confidently accepting passes (in particular with Naby Sarr first half) moving the ball on with I thought no misplaced passes, getting tackles in and one (like Adam Matthews) who did not melt at 1-2 down. Kept going and working all game. He has been utilised in several different ways by Bowyer and always man's up as best he can. Well done to him I say.
    Thought he was largely fine but do feel we missed Pratley's bite in the midfield during the first half. A few times they played it out of defence and just strolled through the middle unchallenged. Pretty sure had Pratley been in his usual position he'd have closed that route off quicker. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Who the hell is Giovana Fuentes ?
  • Options
    A picture to have you reaching for the Kleenex for sure for sure for sure!
  • Options
    Giovanni Fuentes is a male
    Giovanna Fuentes is a female.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too busy to say much, but thanks for making my Xmas Charlton.
    1-2 down and I didn't see that comeback happening, no way Jose.

They all did their best and played well, but I thought Pratley who was everywhere, Doughty & Bonne's goals were outstanding.

Magnificent stuff (ps I thought our winner reminded me of Hull's last gasp winner - karma).
    I know it's just a slip of the fingers but the Hull match ended up a Desmond tutu.
  • Options
    A critical three points, given our injury situation (surely the worst in the history of the club ?) and the difficult run of fixtures coming up. It also gets the monkey off our back in terms of ending the long winless run.

I thought we played well in the first half and carried a goal threat throughput, in contrast to Bristol City, who had some neat possession but ran out of ideas when they got within 30 yards of our goal. Pratley seemed to bring some much needed composure to our defence, whilst Alfie Doughty was absolutely outstanding, picking up just where he left off at QPR. Albie Morgan’s chipped pass to Macauley Bonne was exquisite, as was the finish to give us a well deserved half time lead.

The one thing we couldn’t afford to do was to start slowly in the second half but, as in the Hull game, we allowed the opposition to equalise immediately. It was an excellent driven cross and their forward stole a yard on Lockyer to glance the ball into the far corner.  Bristol City then started to dominate the game, cutting through our midfield at will and some sloppy defending saw us 2-1 down on the hour mark, compounded by Connor Gallagher’s injury. At that stage it looked as though the game was up but Macauley Bonne had other ideas, outmuscling the centre half to lash in the equaliser and then putting in a quite superb cross for Alfie’s winner.

We still seem to be quite incapable of managing a clean sheet, although Lockyer played well, as did Mathews, who looks fitter with several games now under his belt. There have been some individual howlers in recent games but I think that a lot of goals we have conceded are a consequence of being unable to control the game in midfield, as well as fatigue, with an inability to rotate the team or to freshen things up with the introduction of impact players from the bench.

Darren Pratley had another fine game, as did Albie Morgan - a class player, who also managed a few good tackles - and Alfie Doughty, whose pace and directness gives us a new dimension.

Up front, Bonne and Taylor put in fine shifts and their physicality and ability to run the channels really troubled the opposition. They both work exceptionally hard for the team and Lyle was charging around like a maniac in the latter stages to close people down when we were clinging on to our lead. Anyone who doubts his commitment after that needs to have a word with themselves.

Anyway, 28 points down and no more than 22 (maybe even 18) to go. Let’s hope Gallagher’s injury is short term and that we can grind out a result at Derby with our patched-up side. Thereafter, we can but hope that the takeover will be swiftly finalised and we can then get a few bodies in on loan to bolster the squad. 
  • Options
    Alfie Doughty has been with Charlton since joining at U9s. Yesterday the 20-year-old scored his first goal for the club, an 82nd-minute winning goal! He was feeling pretty good when we spoke to him and academy teammate Albie Morgan post-game https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e05dcf3df3e6/it-was-very-special-alfie-doughty-on-his-first-charlton-goal … #cafc

• Options

Naby Sarr Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC

3 pts well done boys Hard work always pays off thanks for the support yesterday #CAFC