Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Southall's first press conference: suggestions for questions

Comments

• Options
    Love the reaction on Southall's face when Bowyer says a 10-year contract with unlimited budget - Got no concerns between these two

Damn... Bowyer's face is unreadable when the five year deal is mentioned
    He was trying to look natural(at 1st I think he thought MS was joking because of his own 10 year joke), no way was he expecting to hear 5 years but if you look closer you can slowly see his face changing trying hard to hold a smile in as MS is talking about it, bet he just wanted to have a massive grin on his face lol, 5 year contract is amazing 
  • Options
    Matt seemed really nervous and a lot of his answers meandered all over the place. I think today he will regret saying some of the things he said perhaps re: man city and marquee signings.

Not to say I don't think the fact he's a little unpolished and not fully media trained to be a charming and likeable thing about him.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I thought his attempted answers about Lyle possibly staying were embarrassing. Lyle has decided to leave us for more money than we are willing to offer. Matt pussy-footed around it unnecessarily IMO. No point him suggesting that Lyle re-signing is a possibility. It isn’t! He is moving on and so, sadly, must we. This whole ‘there will be marquee signings’ and comparisons with Man City do not resonate with pay caps that result in Lyle Taylor leaving Charlton for clubs like Bristol City, Cardiff or Brentford. True?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    meldrew66 said:
    I thought his attempted answers about Lyle possibly staying were embarrassing. Lyle has decided to leave us for more money than we are willing to offer. Matt pussy-footed around it unnecessarily IMO. No point him suggesting that Lyle re-signing is a possibility. It isn’t! He is moving on and so, sadly, must we. This whole ‘there will be marquee signings’ and comparisons with Man City do not resonate with pay caps that result in Lyle Taylor leaving Charlton for clubs like Bristol City, Cardiff or Brentford. True?
    You might have missed it but Bowyer has said Lyle wants Lee to sign a new contract, so Lyle's leaving is not as clear cut as first thought.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Chunes said:
    meldrew66 said:
    You might have missed it but Bowyer has said Lyle wants Lee to sign a new contract, so Lyle's leaving is not as clear cut as first thought.
    So, who do you believe then? The Chairman who states that Lyle refused the offer or the manager who, effectively, contradicts that? Listen, my viewpoint comes as a massive LT fan who desperately wants him to re-sign. However, everything to date (particularly Lyle’s track record of running down contracts elsewhere and Matt’s statement that we won’t pay him what he wants) strongly points to a departure. I really, really hope I am wrong as I have stated several times on here that I consider Lyle to be the single most influential player at our beloved club in the past 20+ years.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't think it's a case of who to believe @meldrew66, clearly Lyle (or his agent) thought the club could do better, the club said no. Now it seems like Lyle would reconsider if Bowyer signed a contract. 

He might very well have been trying it on given who our new owner is. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Well you certainly live up to your name - you miserable old git
    Miserable or pessimistic realist?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don't think it's a case of who to believe @meldrew66, clearly Lyle (or his agent) thought the club could do better, the club said no. Now it seems like Lyle would reconsider if Bowyer signed a contract. 

True but I don’t believe Lee staying is anywhere near being the biggest influencing factor for Lyle to stay. Again, I want to be proven wrong on that. Only time will tell. Stay Lyle, stay.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cmon we need some house buying analogies.

The keys have been handed over, you’re in the front door , and a trip to Ikea waits!
  • Options
    Cmon we need some house buying analogies.

The keys have been handed over, you’re in the front door , and a trip to Ikea waits!
    Then you realise that it’s a little
    bit more expensive than you remembered in Ikea, so you make do with what you have and scan eBay and gumtree for a bit in the hope of finding a bargain! 😬
  • Options
    Lyle won't leave. He loves the adoration.

If he does go I don't know how I will ever break the news to Mrs Grumpy. Could be a marriage breaker. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Chunes said:

True but I don’t believe Lee staying is anywhere near being the biggest influencing factor for Lyle to stay. Again, I want to be proven wrong on that. Only time will tell. Stay Lyle, stay.
    Bowyer literally said the opposite 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Well you certainly live up to your name - you miserable old git
    Miserable or pessimistic realist?
    Definitely the former. 
  • Options
    A little thing I missed yesterday that Matt said that I really liked was when he discussed how the first team manager being involved with the youth team, and being seen by them gives them that little bit of confidence

It's only a small thing, and may seem obvious to some, but shows a nice understanding of how football works and does encourage me that he does actually know what he is doing. 
  • Options
    I was pretty pleased with the PC, thought all three handled it well and they give me confidence for the future. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Chunes said:
    meldrew66 said:
    So, who do you believe then? The Chairman who states that Lyle refused the offer or the manager who, effectively, contradicts that? Listen, my viewpoint comes as a massive LT fan who desperately wants him to re-sign. However, everything to date (particularly Lyle’s track record of running down contracts elsewhere and Matt’s statement that we won’t pay him what he wants) strongly points to a departure. I really, really hope I am wrong as I have stated several times on here that I consider Lyle to be the single most influential player at our beloved club in the past 20+ years.
    both - just because he's refused the contract offer doesn't mean he doesn't want to sign one.

I think there's still a few twists and turns on this one, LT clearly seems to like working under LB, let's see how this pan's out when Lee signs his contract....
  • Options
    The fact Lee said Lyle wanted Lee’s contract sorted tells you all you need to know - the door is wide open and the worst cases are that we get a huge fee for him and replace him or he stays til end of season - best case he signs a new contract with us 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer will sign a new contract and stay.
    Taylor will leave and be replaced. 
    Just my take on it
  • Options
    Southall comes across really likeable... Got a really good feeling about this, we're overdue some luck
  • Options
    Why did Matt not say straight away that they had offered Bowyer a five year contract. 

Enjoyed the press conference and he came across well, but he should have said a lot of things from the get go 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Bowyer will sign a new contract and stay.
    Taylor will leave and be replaced. 
    Just my take on it
    Possibly. Love Taylor and really want him to stay as I think he brings a lot and is the ethos of Bowyer's Charlton on the pitch.

But him going would be nowhere near as devastating as Bowyer leaving. He (Bowyer) is the conduit for this whole next chapter.

Who knows, perhaps Lyle will feel as motivated by the press conference and what else he's seen and heard this week ie Bowyer 5 year contract as many of  us are and it may swing him to stay and be part of it all.

• Options
    robroy said:
    Why did Matt not say straight away that they had offered Bowyer a five year contract. 

Enjoyed the press conference and he came across well, but he should have said a lot of things from the get go 
    When? He'd offered it that day.
  • Options
    Any media articles on the presser?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    robroy said:

Agree.
    More reactive than pro active on the 5 years but that was a positive response from Matt Southall. Bowyer said he hadn't seen it as he had come from the training ground. I guess it might be Royal mail's fault !
    If Matt had  surprised everyone and pulled the contract out from under the table and handed it to Lee and said read it when you get home but it runs to 2025 that would've made the Conference even more upbeat.
    A kind of this is your life surprise.
    As long as it wasn't followed by, and here is a friend you haven't seen for 18 years,
    and on walks Keiron Dyer !