Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Southall's first press conference: suggestions for questions

Comments

• Options
    Watching it now, MS is very measured with his answers. He takes his time and makes sure he says the right things.

As an ex agent I’d imagine he could spout some old spin but listening to him as our chairman, he’s being quite held back with his responses. 

I’m not sure if that’s nervousness or whether he’s making sure he’s not letting on more than there is and he doesn’t put his foot in it.

All looks fairly positive to me.
    Making sure he didn't say "you know", plus not putting his foot in it.

Towards the end of the interview more "you knows" came out.

Seems a pleasant fella tbf.
  • Options
    All sounds good to me especially with Bowyer and Lyle both staying 
    Neither of this is true at the moment. 

LB's agent will hopefully sit down with MS on Saturday & chat over his deal. 99% I expect it to be signed early next week. 

LT's deal is still there if LT wants it. Its down to him. We wont sell him if we dont want to but if a very very good offer came in then we would sell (as it would make sense financially). My money is on LT staying, but not signing anything just yet.

So currently nothing has been agreed & nothing has been signed......including any players. We have until 12 noon tomorrow for any new player to be eligible to play on Saturday. Tick tock.

Ps. My money is on no new signings this week.....and going into Saturday's game with Davison up front & Hemed on the bench.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    “Does Lee wanna sell him? Does he ‘eck-as-like?”
     Love that!
  • Options
    I do wonder if MS is or has been a stammer sufferer. There were occasions when he seemed to struggle a little 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I do wonder if MS is or has been a stammer sufferer. There were occasions when he seemed to struggle a little 

It is a very valuable trait to be able to engage the brain before engaging the mouth.
    Bit harsh on Taxi_Lad. It's a genuine observation. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    MS being very careful and thinking about what he says when he's talking about Lyle Taylor - Interesting the way he spoke about his door being always open, wonder if he wont push Lyle yet leave it to him if he wants to sign a new deal
    Southall said Taylor will be with us till the end of the season.
    Didn’t he kind of contradict that by saying that if an offer came in he would discuss it with LB but ultimately do what he thought was in the long term interest of the club, even though it may not be a popular decision.
    No. If a ridiculous offer came in, not any offer.
  • Options
    Im just glad he took my recommendations on board
  • Options
    I am less positive than most. Some of the language is confusing and muddled. Fingers crossed. 
    I watched it thinking he's being overly cautious, which led to nerves. I reckon there's some serious cash knocking about that they'll use when they want to, but don't want anyone knowing it. 

Agreed - they (or their ultimate backers) are seriously minted.
  • Options
    Been out and just catching up.

Thanks for the write up.

I said the Bowyer and Taylor contract fuss was all part of a negotiation and it looks like it is. Let's see if one or hopefully both sign soon.

Assume the marquee signing is Tom Verlaine.

ALL IS GOOD

Live, love, laugh and BE HAPPY
    Don’t be silly, your mind is on the moon. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Really pleased.  I'm also pleased he isn't playing a game of spin and counter spin in public against Lyle Taylor. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Very happy with that press conference. I genuinely think there will be a LOT of money invested in the team and infrastructure ( just listen to what he said about the training ground) but he’s obviously very cautious to say so , otherwise it becomes hard to get players where the price isn’t over inflated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was an excellent press conference , it could be an exciting journey. With this Chairman and his other investors now on board we have a great team off the pitch
  • Options
    I wonder how long it will take for the knicker twisters to return to a state of unwrinkled comfort though.
  • Options
    Feeling really positive after watching that, and I was positive after the interview and just from the takeover going through.

Loads to get excited about, on the other side of it Matt talked a lot about things being sustainable. He mentioned the model and in his interview talked about sometimes making decisions we wouldn’t like (but explaining them). I’m sure we’ll sometimes see good players sold, but I’d like to think we’ll be a club that sells them on for £10m+ and then use a good chunk of it to improve the squad, rather than the one that sells them for a few million to pay the bills like we were under Roland.

Assuming they sign new contracts Bowyer and Gallen will be able to build for the long term. That’s something we haven’t done in years, and not over a longer period of time since Curbs was manager.

If we sell a player for a big fee they can have potential replacements lined up, whether that’s a player already at the club, a youngster in the academy or a signing from outside the club. Get that right over a few years and we could be in a much stronger position as a club and without building up the level of debt Roland did in that time.
  • Options
    On Lyle I view it as his basically saying "balls in your court". I think hes offered the max he feels he can offer and is basically saying to like come and have a chat if you're willing to be innnd around that.

On the training ground I am delighted  the works will be going ahead and pleased they're going with the original larger scale plans. My one worry is that these were still put together by an RD regime. I'd rather they took a bit of time, looked at other clubs, made sure they got everything exactly right (including CACT facilities) rather than just going with what's already got planning permission. 

Am I simply being overly nervous of all things RD?
    On the training ground didn’t he say they had recently had plans passed. The RD plans were not recent. Also he said they had gone back to the original three story plans as opposed to Roland’s reduced two stories so I’d imagine that gives scope re CACT facilities plus Bowyer would also be consulted about what facilities are required. All sounded very positive to me.
  • Options
    After watching on YouTube that was impressive from all 3 guys. Matt Southall did well, he isn't totally comfortable with the media yet because he is new to this type of questions from sport Journalists on a live link. A come and talk to me offer to Lyle Taylor was interesting.

• Options
    On Lyle I view it as his basically saying "balls in your court". I think hes offered the max he feels he can offer and is basically saying to like come and have a chat if you're willing to be innnd around that.

On the training ground I am delighted  the works will be going ahead and pleased they're going with the original larger scale plans. My one worry is that these were still put together by an RD regime. I'd rather they took a bit of time, looked at other clubs, made sure they got everything exactly right (including CACT facilities) rather than just going with what's already got planning permission. 

Am I simply being overly nervous of all things RD?
    On the training ground didn’t he say they had recently had plans passed. The RD plans were not recent. Also he said they had gone back to the original three story plans as opposed to Roland’s reduced two stories so I’d imagine that gives scope re CACT facilities plus Bowyer would also be consulted about what facilities are required. All sounded very positive to me.
    I assumed they were the scaled back plans submitted a couple of months back by RD and they were waiting for the go ahead. Doubt esi would have had time to get their own plans in and passed yet. They dont even own the site.