Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Southall's first press conference: suggestions for questions

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    robroy said:
    Why did Matt not say straight away that they had offered Bowyer a five year contract. 

Enjoyed the press conference and he came across well, but he should have said a lot of things from the get go 

Agree.
    More reactive than pro active on the 5 years but that was a positive response from Matt Southall. Bowyer said he hadn't seen it as he had come from the training ground. I guess it might be Royal mail's fault !
    If Matt had  surprised everyone and pulled the contract out from under the table and handed it to Lee and said read it when you get home but it runs to 2025 that would've made the Conference even more upbeat.
    A kind of this is your life surprise !

That s not the way to conduct multi-million pound contract negotiations.
    I sent the post before I got to the punch lines at the end. 
  • Options
    I have been slightly critical of ESi so far but after yesterday's press conference I am more positive, I like the suggestion of sustainability and building for the future, I'm not so sure on filling the ground every match as so incresing income but am positive on increasing income from the commercial side of the club.

All in all a good start from ESi, the proof will be in the detail.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    robroy said:
    Why did Matt not say straight away that they had offered Bowyer a five year contract. 

Enjoyed the press conference and he came across well, but he should have said a lot of things from the get go 

Agree.
    More reactive than pro active on the 5 years but that was a positive response from Matt Southall. Bowyer said he hadn't seen it as he had come from the training ground. I guess it might be Royal mail's fault !
    If Matt had  surprised everyone and pulled the contract out from under the table and handed it to Lee and said read it when you get home but it runs to 2025 that would've made the Conference even more upbeat.
    A kind of this is your life surprise !

That s not the way to conduct multi-million pound contract negotiations.
    Agreed. In fact it is already all much more public than I would normally expect.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    I thought his attempted answers about Lyle possibly staying were embarrassing. Lyle has decided to leave us for more money than we are willing to offer. Matt pussy-footed around it unnecessarily IMO. No point him suggesting that Lyle re-signing is a possibility. It isn’t! He is moving on and so, sadly, must we. This whole ‘there will be marquee signings’ and comparisons with Man City do not resonate with pay caps that result in Lyle Taylor leaving Charlton for clubs like Bristol City, Cardiff or Brentford. True?
    Get a grip mate.
  • Options
    I got to say that the whole thing just looked so more professional, it’s a great start. Getting the 3 guys with jackets on and shirts, with the name tags etc. It looked like a premiership media outfit 
  • Options
    Season ticket holders can get one free ticket for our game on the 1st February. Looks like he really intends to fill the stands! 
    Great idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any media articles on the presser?

Impressive coat. 
  • Options
    Bowyer will sign a new contract and stay.
    Taylor will leave and be replaced. 
    Just my take on it

That's what I am expecting too. I'd put my house on it (provided that the financial package offered to Lee is a sensible one).
  • Options
    robroy said:

Inexperience.
  • Options
    Clearly MS is not the most polished from a media perspective but why should he be given his corporate background. I'm reassured seeing these key questions about our future answered with sincerity from a real person as opposed to some smooth talking, bullshit and soundbite merchant a la 90% of the people that work in football.

I hope, and trust, the terms of the contract offer to Bow are favourable as it's absolutely key he stays. Proper Charlton. Love the bloke

• Options
    Just watching the Press Conference now and someone might be able to correct me

Right at the start Southall gestures to Gallen and calls him the Director of Football

Am I right in thinking thats the first time he's been called that? - I know we've always thought of him as that but didnt think that was his role / title?
    Good spot!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    meldrew66 said:
    Chunes said:
    I don't think it's a case of who to believe @meldrew66, clearly Lyle (or his agent) thought the club could do better, the club said no. Now it seems like Lyle would reconsider if Bowyer signed a contract. 

He might very well have been trying it on given who our new owner is. 
    True but I don’t believe Lee staying is anywhere near being the biggest influencing factor for Lyle to stay. Again, I want to be proven wrong on that. Only time will tell. Stay Lyle, stay.
    Maybe not the biggest, but maybe the final influencing factor for Lyle to stay.

There's no such thing as a pessimistic realist.

Optimist, Realist or Pessimist. 

We're at opposite ends of the spectrum. 👍🏼
  • Options
    What players have you been an agent for?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    What players have you been an agent for?
    Christophe Lepoint, Anil Koc and El Hadji Ba

Congratulations then on convincing people they were professional footballers 😄
  • Options
    Did Lee sign?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will his Excellency buy an off-peak travel card from city airport to Charlton like the last owner ?
    It will be a private plane. Let's not pretend the Sheikh's not involved. We have the Chairman AND CEO of ADBD in charge of Charlton. We are the 61st of his company's. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Who came up with the name East street investments? Is it a reference to our beginnings or just a coincidence 
  • Options
    Who came up with the name East street investments? Is it a reference to our beginnings or just a coincidence 
    Don't know who but certainly not a coincidence
  • Options
    That suggests to me that they looked at the history of the club and bought into it, literally.
  • Options
    That suggests to me that they looked at the history of the club and bought into it, literally.
    They know more about our history and what the club means to us fans in a few short weeks than Roland did in six years. 
  • Options
    They know more about our history and what the club means to us fans in a few short weeks than Roland did in six years. 
    And more than a lot of fans do tbh ! 
  • Options
    We need some sort of museum to preserve and present all this history
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    We need some sort of museum to preserve and present all this history
    🎼 It's  enough to make your heart go wooooh! We don't care what the Millwallwa*k say 🎼 😉