Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton | Sat 18 Jan | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    True, but overall we were doing pretty well before the injury crisis.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Not really been the same since Taylor got injured. And that really has been the problem as he is key to how we play, scores goals and makes goals for others.
  • Options
    we scored a nice goal thanks to Doughty's ever increasing ability down the left .. we lost to a blinding, unstoppable shot from wide out and an all too familiar inability to defend in the air from dead ball situations .. we are never losing by much, never getting mullered, BUT we are losing far too often for comfort. 
    Bowyer is getting the utmost from his players but he needs fresh legs, fresh ideas, fresh skills especially in defence.
    ESI must have had an idea of what was needed on and off the field before they took over.. why are they taking so long to decide on a new contract for Bowyer and to release funds for much needed player reinforcements .. perhaps they have a long term master plan, if so, what the fuck is it ? .. we don't want all to be revealed if and when we slip into a relegation spot
  • Options
    Doughty is our brightest spark at the moment no question but I'm wondering how we will use him when (or if) Cullen etc are starting games and we go back to a diamond. He's wasted in a more central position which only really leaves left back. Not ideal but I think I'd rather have his attacking threat and maybe lose a bit defensively than play Purrington instead of him. 
  • Options
    If we come out of this period intact, Doughty and Bonne are positives to take from it. Both look the real deal at this level and as young players who knows how far they can go.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Talal said:
    Doughty is our brightest spark at the moment no question but I'm wondering how we will use him when (or if) Cullen etc are starting games and we go back to a diamond. He's wasted in a more central position which only really leaves left back. Not ideal but I think I'd rather have his attacking threat and maybe lose a bit defensively than play Purrington instead of him. 
    Use him in a 4-3-3 perhaps?

Phillips
    Matthew | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
    Cullen | Williams | Pratley
    Green | Davison | Doughty
  • Options
    If we come out of this period intact, Doughty and Bonne are positives to take from it. Both look the real deal at this level and as young players who knows how far they can go.
    IF we can keep hold of them both
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Use him in a 4-3-3 perhaps?

Phillips
    Matthew | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
    Cullen | Williams | Pratley
    Green | Davison | Doughty
    Looks good but I think that will end up 4-5-1 a lot of the time potentially leaving the striker isolated. 
  • Options
    Id say doughty is our first choice wing back now defo. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    No doubt. It's more what to do if/when we go to a back four. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The one consolation from the current situation is that the teams below aren't doing that much and it's looking more and more as though we are only going to need  around 45 /46 points to stay up. Clearly the home games against the bottom 3 are all huge but if we can win them and then pick up another 2 or 3 other wins we should be ok.
  • Options
    But you are using the word IF. let's try to remove that word and change it to when.
  • Options
    Can't Doughty play left side midfield in the diamond?
  • Options
    Knew we would lose yesterday and result almost inevitable. Was out with my daughter yesterday with a family commitment. She asked me at 5 how Charlton got on.. I said I don't want to find out as don't want to spoil our day. Found out later in the evening. 
  • Options
    Can't Doughty play left side midfield in the diamond?
    It's more central than wide. I mean he could play there but you're not going to get the same wing play he's currently doing. 
  • Options
    He looked good as a wing back yesterday. 
  • Options
    He looked good as a wing back yesterday. 
    I think you're missing the point. 
  • Options
    Ok, or maybe my point is play him where he looks good.
  • Options
    You think we're going to stick with wingbacks for the rest of the season? 
  • Options
    A good chance of that I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I very much doubt it. 
  • Options
    We'll see. If your wing backs do well you tend to keep playing them and the system.
  • Options
    we are only playing 3 at the back because our central defenders are so unreliable and the midfield is so unproductive .. 
  • Options
    We'll see. If your wing backs do well you tend to keep playing them and the system.
    The system is doing great so far. 
  • Options
    We were only playing wing backs because 5 of the 11 fit ones were defenders. 
  • Options
    That may be the case, and it may still be the case through the season. It is also the case that you adapt to the players you have and Doughty is an exciting wing back which comes into your thinking. Sarr is an important player for us and he does better in a three as well. Also, I think we are more likely to see midfielders come in than defenders. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    2121 said:
    No doubt. It's more what to do if/when we go to a back four. 
    Defo play him left back in back four. No doubt!
    or if we make no signings play him left mid in a 442. 
  • Options
    Couldn’t we play a wide diamond? Cullen and Williams narrow, with Doughty and Green out wide, Taylor and Bonne up top? Although what are the chances that we see all these players fit at the same time
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    If you have two crap wing backs you probably try not to play wing backs, if you have a couple of good ones you surely are considering playing wing backs. Maybe you bring players in that mean you change, but you certainly take this into consideration. The concept is getting the best out of who you have. 
  • Options
    I'd argue Matthews has been better defensively than offensively recently.