Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton | Sat 18 Jan | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    I would agree, but he does have a wing back game. I think he has different attributes than Doughty and is more reliant on the midfield and attacking players being in and around him. On Saturday we just lumped the ball up and lost it. Doughty can get the ball and out pace a defender so can be effective when your attacking options are crap. 
  • Options
    Matthews and doughty are ace. If we lose them then we become wide open with ben and Chris playing imo
  • Options
    Deji looked great as wing back against Forest.
  • Options
    I would agree, but he does have a wing back game. I think he has different attributes than Doughty and is more reliant on the midfield and attacking players being in and around him. On Saturday we just lumped the ball up and lost it. Doughty can get the ball and out pace a defender so can be effective when your attacking options are crap. 
    I get what you're saying and I agree they are more suited to wing back than full back, but the defence is under too much pressure when we play three in midfield. It just doesn't seem likely to me that when we have midfielders back from injury plus hopefully a couple of new ones brought in that we'll continue to only play three at a time. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Yes, when one of the three is XXX or XXX (wrote a couple of names but it isn't fair). What you do is have Cullen sitting just in front of the defence then two and it looks better. You could sit Pratley in front, but a two of Gallagher and a fit Williams and you are laughing. You need players of that level and it works.

Ideally, you get in a strong position then shore things up with a fresh Pratley.
  • Options
    We'll just have to wait and see. I'd be surprised but if it brings results that's all that matters. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Who lost Bauer for his free header? Bowyer seems v unhappy about it
     Bauer lost Sarr, then the next player, then Pratley missed his header as Oshilaja ducked instead of heading. 

Bauer is the one player Bowyer and Jackson should have known how to counter on corners.

They probably do but it's up to the players to remember during the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    It was Sunday and there wasn't much on the telly. Last season I was managing a football team, this season I have nothing to do but take the dog for a walk!
  • Options
    Surely we have been the worst team in the division, form wise, since Derby at home? How many points is that?

We desperately need players in the door and soon. We will have players back, yes, but they'll be lacking match fitness and will not be able to pick up where they left off.

Before and including Derby on 19th October:

P12 W6 D3 L3 F18 A12 Pts 21.

Since Derby:

P16 W1 D5 L10 F19 A29 Pts8 (from a possible 48)

The slide is alarming. Injuries or not. We need fresh bodies in or we are going to be in deep trouble

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spankie said:
    Surely we have been the worst team in the division, form wise, since Derby at home? How many points is that?

We desperately need players in the door and soon. We will have players back, yes, but they'll be lacking match fitness and will not be able to pick up where they left off.

Before and including Derby on 19th October:

P12 W6 D3 L3 F18 A12 Pts 21.

Since Derby:

P16 W1 D5 L10 F19 A29 Pts8 (from a possible 48)

The slide is alarming. Injuries or not. We need fresh bodies in or we are going to be in deep trouble

Alarming stats - at least we're averaging over a goal a game.
  • Options
    Patrick Bauer 
    What a man, what a man, what a man,
    What a mighty good man
    He's a mighty mighty good man
  • Options
    Yes, agree with that. Was in the pub after the game chatting with some PNE fans and they were of the same opinion, saying that Bauer was definitely in the running for their Player of the Season award. As for the match - two poor teams on the day with opposite problems: one team good enough generally but not together, relying on individual moments of decent/brilliant skill; the other team just not good enough with the personnel available but playing with effort, heart and commitment. Bowyer’s comments about decent application but lack of quality in the final third a fair summing up. Kept a close eye on Naby Sarr and very pleased to see him (given the heavy criticism he sometimes receives) encouraging others positively throughout, especially the younger players.