Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton | Sat 18 Jan | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Are we in massive trouble yet ?
    Yes and we've been in trouble since Taylor got injured.

I've been saying for months that fans keep saying there's no team much better than us, but conversely there are no teams much worse.

All I've been saying these last 2 weeks is that you can't expect the new owners to wave a magic wand and get a number of really good players signed up immediately.

If it that was simple everyone would have done it, whereas no one has.
    But the new owners have banged on about getting the deal done and getting in situ specifically for this window. You would have thought they would have been better prepared.
    Maybe, the proof will be what happens in the next two weeks. I'm still open minded, I think it's foolish to make your mind up after a couple of days, when you have little if any facts to go on.

As of today they have been in charge for 11.5 working days and some people have been slagging them off for 10 working days.
    Actually, the owners wanted to wait until February to do the deal so as not to distract from the transfer window. Bowyer is the one who turned it into a bit of a public circus with his comments about wanting it done right away. I’m not debating the rights or wrongs of that but it’s him that made it at immediate action item. 

I appreciate people at the club are trying to separate themselves from the cloak of silence approach the old lot tended to take, but I think a bit too much has been made public in the last couple of weeks. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    First time I've come away from watching us thinking we're going down. Can't fault the effort but after ten minutes we couldn't trouble s poor Preston team. Felt the confidence draining from our support too. Really got behind the team first half but with nothing inspiring on the pitch we became as quiet as Preston. Bug game Weds. I think we have to win.
    That 'free header' winning goal going in early in the second half, was really deflating and didn't help but I thought we gave good support and the  🎼Your support is frigging Sh*t 🎼 chant was fitting 😉.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The worry right now is that getting injured players back is one thing, getting them match sharp and confident is another. We had a couple back today but they didn’t look sharp and didn’t influence the match much. 

Not for the first time this season though, the basics deserted us. Barely strung two passes together between 10 minutes and 85 minutes. Overcompensated by going for too many killer balls when simpler options were available. Lack of closing down and then marking for the goals against. Crossing was dire, particularly Matthews. 

The goal was simplicity itself, recycle possession, draw in the press, create space, and then attack it at pace. It worked the first time we tried it and then we totally abandoned it as a tactic. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    This must count as the biggest melt down on a post match thread for a very long time . 
    Chill - Things will be fine . 
  • Options
    Finally back in London. Difficult to be too critical of Bowyer and the players. Some of them are presumably on "YTS" contracts in old money. That's the reality of the situation! 

Pratley is doing a great job holding them together. Aided by Philips and Lockyer. 

Whoever plays Charlton at the moment should be winning heavily every week, but none of them are.

There is hope.
  • Options

Delighted to get my first goal for @CAFCofficial Disappointed with the result. We will keep fighting!!

• Options
    Thank you for your tremendous support, once again, this afternoon We go again in SE7 on Wednesday #cafc

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brown59 said:
    ESI look like a load of wind at the moment won’t be long before the fans turn on them. Not seen anything to convince me that there real. 
    Sounds like you already have!
  • Options
    At least Chelsea lost , that'll serve them right for taking back Gallagher.
  • Options
    Have that Lampard
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Brown59 said:
    Was a massive step to get into this league. Let’s not let this opportunity go.  Not sure contract of 5 years Is the way forward especially when you haven’t signed it yet. Can’t expect people to keep buying tickets to watch this decline go on. New owners need to act now before it’s too late and we panic buy.  Otherwise it’s back where we come from I’m afraid. 
    Go away 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Brown59 said:
    ESI look like a load of wind at the moment won’t be long before the fans turn on them. Not seen anything to convince me that there real. 

Funny, that's the way you come across..
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say the next 2 weeks are crucial. 

Reinforcements are desperately needed, we compete in games but lack quality to really trouble teams for a prolonged period.
  • Options
    Disagree with Bowyer on his comment about scoring 1 today but letting in 2. If you score more than your opponent then you will win, so the emphasis is on scoring, not not letting any in. If we had scored a 2nd & gone 2-0 I bet we would have won. How many games this season have we gone 2 goals clear & then lost...? None. And only once have we drawn (Home to Cardiff). Not many games do you score 2 & lose. And you win a bloody lot more.

Sign some strikers. We wont win many games with Davison & Hemed.

Your view on the game of football is absolutely fascinating. But not in a good way.
    Really....??  Can you tell me why as all I said is that you need to score at least one goal to win a football match. Generally if you get 2 you dont usually lose.......3 and you're pretty certain to win.

I'll break it down even further for you. If you never score you'll never win. The best you'll ever do is a 0-0 draw. 46 of those will give you 46 points. Might stay up but more likely to go down. 

It's a bit like the old "rules of the game of cricket as described to a stranger" that you find on tea towels. The aim of football is to win........and to do that you first need to score. It is not rocket science.
  • Options
    Pre-match, I looked through the squads on a popular football app and was informed that Preston have no injuries to their first team squad. Zero.
  • Options
    Pre-match, I looked through the squads on a popular football app and was informed that Preston have no injuries to their first team squad. Zero.
    Paul Gallagher was their only player out with injury. Ben Pearson was ill aswell. How important those two players are to their team though, I don’t know.

Puts into perspective how well we’ve done with all our injuries, that we’re still able to compete against these teams with next to no unavailable players. Just need to start racking up some points
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Gallagher was their only player out with injury. Ben Pearson was ill aswell. How important those two players are to their team though, I don’t know.

Puts into perspective how well we’ve done with all our injuries, that we’re still able to compete against these teams with next to no unavailable players. Just need to start racking up some points
    Ok, the app was wrong! 
  • Options
    I’m starting to get a bad feeling about our prospects for the rest of the season for the first time today. Would have been happy with a point but knew that we’d come away with nothing, there’s only so much a weak and drained group of players can do before something gives. I hope today isn’t it but unless some seriously positive stuff happens in the next week regarding signings and sorting out contracts, we could be starting the slow but sure slide to relegation.
    Me too. Today was thé day that really started to make me worry. The gap from the bottom three is now only five points and something tells me that the teams below is won't continue to be so awful. 

When ESI took over I assumed that Bowyer and Lyle would be signing new contracts within a few days. 

We have to give it until midnight on the 31st before we really know but whoever we sign will be making their debuts against Barnsley. That's not good. If they go above us we will be really in the mire because I expect us to pick up fewer points than Huddersfield. It could come down to two from three of us, Wigan and Stoke to go down with Luton.  Cue a nailbiting last game at Leeds needing to equalise to get a point to stay up on goal difference.

It would be heartbreaking for that glorious Wembley win to come to nothing.

We could have signed players two weeks ago and not be in this situation. ESI seem to be underestimating the demage this delay is doing. It could be too little too late. I now doubt that it was the EFL that slowed the process down in December. January is showing us that even if they are good owners, they are bloody slow, naive or risky.

• Options
    Stayed up till 1am to watch that rubbish.  My brother went to bed at half time which was the correct decision. 

Not much intensity, sat far too deep even on the rare occasions we had possession, not much skill and no midfield or attacking threat except Doughty on the left.

You would think our coaching team might have known that Bauer is a threat from set pieces.  

We are getting steadily worse and look like we expect to lose. A losing mentality has set in. The players looked shocked and confused when we scored and only seemed to relax again after they equalized.  

Dont understand why its ESI's fault though. Think it might have more to do with the last four years. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Disagree with Bowyer on his comment about scoring 1 today but letting in 2. If you score more than your opponent then you will win, so the emphasis is on scoring, not not letting any in. If we had scored a 2nd & gone 2-0 I bet we would have won. How many games this season have we gone 2 goals clear & then lost...? None. And only once have we drawn (Home to Cardiff). Not many games do you score 2 & lose. And you win a bloody lot more.

Sign some strikers. We wont win many games with Davison & Hemed.

Your view on the game of football is absolutely fascinating. But not in a good way.
    Really....??  Can you tell me why as all I said is that you need to score at least one goal to win a football match. Generally if you get 2 you dont usually lose.......3 and you're pretty certain to win.

I'll break it down even further for you. If you never score you'll never win. The best you'll ever do is a 0-0 draw. 46 of those will give you 46 points. Might stay up but more likely to go down. 

It's a bit like the old "rules of the game of cricket as described to a stranger" that you find on tea towels. The aim of football is to win........and to do that you first need to score. It is not rocket science.

I get what you're saying Golfie but it was Curbs that always went "Back To Basics" following a bad run, and it usually worked for him.

That didn't involve going totally defensive but it was a case of every player doing his job properly and keeping things simple. Tightening up defensively doesn't mean playing for 0-0 draws.

The problem is do we have the players to do this right now?
  • Options
    The answer to that question about tightening up is no.

We are playing with a back line that consists of players who have never proven themselves above League One.

Phillips - academy boy, first second tier season
    Lockyer - came in from Bristol R, done ok first second tier season
    Oshilaja - came in from Wimbledon, Luton didn’t want him after a trial in the summer
    Sarr - was a disaster last time he played in the second tier and not much better now
    Doughty - probably the brightest spark right now but can’t do everything on his own
    Matthews - got relegated with Sunderland last time at this level.
  • Options
    I didn't realise that about Pratley. Cannot even imagine the midfield lineup when he is suspended. 
  • Options
    The ref was quite good.
  • Options
    6 out of the last 7 league games we have conceded 2 , we are so weak right now it’s a joke .

Not one to get sucked in by platitudes , talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words , ESI are our only chance of survival cos this squad is not good enough in its current state , show me the money .
    seriously anyone who has a clue re football knows the Jan window is premium so you’ll have to pay up if you want to survive.
    Was with an Arsenal fan last week and when I mentioned our injury crisis he said it was them or someone else a few years back (I was pissed so can’t remember which team it was) who were suffering a joke number of injuries/strains etc and when it was looked in to it was their training methods that were wrong and what was culpable for the crisis, could this be in play here ?

63%   13th-21st ..........................37% Relegation