Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton | Sat 18 Jan | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    LouisMend said:
    Wow, I thought he might be writing the Fulham game off based on what I am being told on here. Why say we need them in before Fulham when we are targeting Barnsley? Read it again those that want to let ESI off and then read it again. He is pissed off he hasn't got the bodies in he needs. 
  • Options
    Apart from the first 5 minutes that was dire. Davison and Dempsey very weak. But, it's not their fault. They shouldn't be out there. For the youngsters the only bright spark is Doughty. I thought he had a good game. Central midfield was dire today. Williams put in a shift but he can't do it on his own. Today made me realise how much we miss Gallagher. His energy and tenacity. It just wasn't out there.

I'm just glad we had such a good start but we need to get a grip and quickly. That's all we need...to stay in this division come May.

I thought Oshilaja was having a good game at CB. Can't understand why he came off. Also, I think Hemed should be out there. I'm assuming Davison was given the nod because he played well in the last game but today it just didn't happen for him. And he played the whole game whilst Williams and Green were both subbed off. That's a strange one for me. For me, Oshilaja, Williams and Green were 3 of our better players and they were all subbed off.

That was a depressing performance. 
  • Options
    Agree. Division is not as strong as I thought it would be, but we seem to be beating teams 1 in 16 times and whilst there are good reasons for that, we have been in a position to at least try to do something about that in January. 
  • Options
    Why do you keep going on about writing games off?!!!!

Absolutely mental in the division. Anyone can beat anybody.
    Yup, been proved so many times. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’ll still make play offs!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Didn't go to Preston or watch the game online so aren't well placed to comment on the game itself.

The injuries have been our problem this season no doubt about it and I do think that if there wasn't such a big injury problem we would be 10-12 points better off and not in danger of being relegated.

However, when large scale injury problems happen in a squad, a relatively small one at that, you need to be able to change up the style in which you go into games. IMO had we played for a couple of 0-0 draws when the problems began, which was from the Bristol City away game, it would have given the players a massive boost and could have even turned some of those draws into 1-0 wins. When you look at the Fulham away game in our bright start, us as fans were celebrating the 2-2 draw like it was a win. Quite rightly too because we were still just outside the play offs and we were a newly promoted team. 

When your team is newly promoted and is lacking in depth and missing key players you need to be able to set up different approaches to sometimes not lose and pick up unexpected points. We have done this on some occasions this season, such as the West Brom draw the other week, but we are having to score 2 goals in order to get a point and haven't kept a clean sheet since the Derby Win. Away from home we have been poor and two wins away from home all season even in January is a sign of a team in a relegation battle.  

Where do the new owners stand at this point?

I like all Charlton fans was delighted when the new guys came in because it had got rid of Roland. That doesn't mean however that they get a free pass.

I felt that Matt Southall was very overpraised by some fans when he was seen walking around the crossbars lounge on Matchday's and stopping for photos. Communication with supporters is great and as we know we were hoping for something like this after Roland's five year disappearing act. However it is also the minimum you expect from your Chairman to do on a few occasions. 

Too me focus on buying the club, THE TRAINING GROUND AND THE VALLEY, then talk with fans in the bar as much as you want.

There were talks that he was going to tie Bowyer and Taylor down, but this has still not been achieved. If you make promises so openly in press conferences and interviews then you should deliver on them or don't say anything at all. 

I feel as though they expected the running of a football club too be much easier than they thought it would be and thought they could just come in and make quick buys of players and signing up players on long term contracts in a few days.

If we get to the end of the transfer window and we are in the same position we are now, I will begin to question whether long term ESI are actually what they say they are and are what is best for the club

• Options
    Are we in massive trouble yet ?
    Well, you've seen the stats, what do you think?
  • Options
    We're relying on teams surrounding us to lose (which most of them are doing) but sure as eggs is eggs one or two of them will put in a little run and we'll find ourselves in the bottom three. Buy soon or we'll be in bottom three ourselves in February and them we will run out of games. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Wow, I thought he might be writing the Fulham game off based on what I am being told on here. Why say we need them in before Fulham when we are targeting Barnsley? Read it again those that want to let ESI off and then read it again. He is pissed off he hasn't got the bodies in he needs. 
    Muttley, who has said we are targeting Barnsley ?
  • Options
    Bowyer is saying he wants bodies in before the Fulham game. 3 or 4 offers have been made and for various reasons, all to do with wages or transfer fees we have got no one in.
    We will sleepwalk into League 1 if Matt Southall doesn't give Steve Gallen a budget to get championship quality into this side.
    We need dynamism from Matt Southall, to keep this side in the Championship. Gallagher has left and possibly Taylor may be sold for just a couple of million.

How do you know we haven’t got a decent budget? If it’s true that we agreed a price with Blackpool for their striker and they increased their value when the player was at our training ground ready to sign, you can’t blame that in Southall. 

We’ve been actively trying!! We don’t know what goes on behind closed doors, players might be turning us down to stay near families for example. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    LouisMend said:
    As expected, Forster-Caskey was due to start today with Cullen coming on. Now Forster-Caskey might be out for a bit longer, hopefully Barnsley we can keep our fingers crossed. And of course, hopefully Cullen is on the bench on Wednesday.

We need at least a couple in beforehand though. 
    The way that we must beast our players in training we need at least a couple hundred in. 

I’m now convinced we dug that trench at our training ground as part of some insane WW1 recreation role play. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Just on the train back.

I love Lee Bowyer but he was too defensive minded today and gave Preston far too much respect. After a very good opening 20 minutes culminating in us taking the lead, we should have kept pushing but instead sat back and let them back in. Very frustrating and, after that good start, we offered nothing. 

Thank God I’m not a Preston fan though. Lovely ground and everything but what a passionless bunch-no songs and no clapping the team off at the end or celebrating the win. Bauer spent a few minutes shaking our players and staff hands and then clapping our fans by which time the home ends were completely empty.  What’s the point? 

Yes, that's what I dislike about Preston, soulless, passionless, town & stadium.
  • Options
    Are we in massive trouble yet ?
    Yes and we've been in trouble since Taylor got injured.

I've been saying for months that fans keep saying there's no team much better than us, but conversely there are no teams much worse.

All I've been saying these last 2 weeks is that you can't expect the new owners to wave a magic wand and get a number of really good players signed up immediately.

If it that was simple everyone would have done it, whereas no one has.
    But the new owners have banged on about getting the deal done and getting in situ specifically for this window. You would have thought they would have been better prepared.
  • Options
    Just seen the highlights
    A decent team on form would have put 4 or 5 past us
  • Options
    Still struggling to understand why pay £60m and not remotely look like we are buying anybody good enough to get us out of trouble. Relegation is a real prospect and we need quality and screw the wage structure because league one is not where we want to end up! 
    We don’t know what they have paid seeing as they haven’t secured The Valley or Sparrows Lane yet. They may never do. Roland did say he’d give the Club away for free so maybe they haven’t even paid a £ yet.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Here's why we shouldn't be saying "We'll be fine when we get our players back."
    Spot on
  • Options
    I’m starting to get a bad feeling about our prospects for the rest of the season for the first time today. Would have been happy with a point but knew that we’d come away with nothing, there’s only so much a weak and drained group of players can do before something gives. I hope today isn’t it but unless some seriously positive stuff happens in the next week regarding signings and sorting out contracts, we could be starting the slow but sure slide to relegation.
  • Options
    Just seen the highlights
    A decent team on form would have put 4 or 5 past us
    That's been the case for a fair few matches.