Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton | Sat 18 Jan | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It is weird how lower level players make poorer decisions. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Again, what the fuck are we doing in training to these players
    Agreed, we are way past bad luck now imo
    Yes, that is a relevant concern ... maybe it is just a matter of rushing things because we need them back, but it is rather strange. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    5 points out of the last 48 !!! That's horrific.

I thought we would get a result up there. We can't even beat teams who are on a poor run.

I have very bad feeling about the whole thing .

Bowyer and Taylor need to sign THIS week

ESI have to bring players in THIS week 

All this "we will be ok when players come back"  is bollox.It assumes they will be on form and up to speed.

I fear if we go down ESI walk away ,they play a few million in breach of contract to Roland ------- and we never come back

The dark days havt gone

We arnt minted

If they had to pay him a couple of million, a grateful Roland would probably give them it back as they would have allowed him to extricate the assets from the club.
  • Options
    The end of the transfer window is getting closer still
    And we are known for not being able to sort contracts out quickly 
    So I see trouble ahead
  • Options
    Yes, you are less bothered about the points we have lost in January than I am. Not slagging you off, just highlighting the difference in how we see it. I see those lost points as ones which could (not will but could) get us relegated. If we get a new owner in who is claiming they need the window then you expect them to use the window, even if it is finding a bit more than they would prefer. They have been about as disapointing so far as it is possible to be and I include in that, learning they have not purchased the whole club yet and being unable to sign Bowyer up when even a village idiot ought to see this would help get signings over the line. Bowyer who you think I think is a cretin, who has said himself it has been hindering getting players in! I think Bowyer is a great manager and I might change my view on ESI somewhat when he signs! They can't get anything over the line this mob though can they?

Even if ESI come good, Southall has been poor in January. That will not change for me. I can see what is happening and it is not good enough.
    I'm just as bothered about picking up points in January as you.

As I said our disagreement is basically about the length of time that we feel it is reasonable to get Bowyer, Jackson, Gallen and Marshall signed up and to get players transferred in to a team fighting relegation, that are better than the majority we already have.

You feel this should have all been possible in a matter of days and whilst I wish this was indeed possible, I feel that a few weeks as opposed to a few days is more practical.

Like I say, if the window closes and they haven't delivered, then I will also be questioning ESI.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Still struggling to understand why pay £60m and not remotely look like we are buying anybody good enough to get us out of trouble. Relegation is a real prospect and we need quality and screw the wage structure because league one is not where we want to end up! 
    They have not paid a penny yet, I'm more worried that we go down and they walk away. 
    Getting a horrible sinking feeling about the new 'owners' - not really clear what's going on....
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Still struggling to understand why pay £60m and not remotely look like we are buying anybody good enough to get us out of trouble. Relegation is a real prospect and we need quality and screw the wage structure because league one is not where we want to end up! 
    They have not paid a penny yet, I'm more worried that we go down and they walk away. 
    Yep this is something I'm definitely worried about. Let's hope we stay up so we don't have to find out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d be amazed if they were legally allowed to ‘walk away’. However much of a twat Roland is, he ain’t stupid round a pound note. They will be paying him one way or another.
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game so can't comment on how we played or whi should or should not have been subbed.

However, we are now so far up shit creek we have just entered disaster gorge. ESI said they wanted to get the takeover done quickly (so much so they left the purchase of the Valley & the training ground until June) so they could make use of the transfer window. Have they fuck. 3 games in & we have brought 1 loanee in (and lost one). 1 signing fell through (Gnadduillet) because the selling club wanted more now than they did in the summer (the fact he has scored 15 goals since then might have something to do with it)....so we pulled out. Another player wanted an extra £1k per week.......so we pulled out. Maddison (supposedly) wants more than we want to offer.......so we left it there. To add insult to injury we then re-arrange a game during this month of woe and then being it forward a week ( to give Bowyer more time to prepare for the Barnsley match..?), so that another game will go by with fuck all players. You couldn't make it up.

I doubt very much anything will have changed come Wednesday (players have to sign by midday tuesday to be available for Fulham) and so we go into that match with the same set of players that have managed one win in 16......so if you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always got. Yes, William's is now back & Cullen might be on the bench on Wednesday.....but they dont score goals. Taylor is supposed to be back in a week or so but there is no guarantee he'll still be here then (would be interesting to see who this player swap deal involved) & Bonne could be out for another 2 or 3 weeks. We desperately need an experience striker (or 2) and an attacking midfielder. Going into games saying "it will be ok when xxx returns" or "wait until Jan 31st when players will need to make a decision" is just folly......and just means we have missed out on picking up points NOW. 

The Barnsley game is massive now ....and we all know we dont turn up for big games where we need to fight & scrap for every ball. 

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It is weird how lower level players make poorer decisions. 
    It's not weird, it's one of the reasons they are lower level, because their decision making is poor.
    This is why I feel it is important to take an extra week or two to sign the better players that can keep us up, rather than just sign lower level players, because some fans are more anxious than others (we're all anxious).
  • Options
    I think we were poor today. After we scored, which just seemed to happen out of nowhere, I didn't feel like we were going to score at any point. We just look like we sit 10 yards too deep and allow the opposition to play with no pressure in front of us. I would prefer us to push the line up and play higher up the pitch and accept the risk of a ball over the top.

Davidson looked out of his depth today, which is no fault of his own, and I'm surprised he stayed on all game. 

We're kicking the ball long, which is a sign of no confidence as we're playing a percentage game rather than having any real style. The goal we scored opened up because we passed the ball around the back and switched the play to open up space on the opposite side. 

My concern at the moment is winning mentality is a habit and so is a losing mentality. Even with bodies in and bodies back turning that mentality around is going to be tough.

To end on a positive, we seem to be better against the top teams so at least a point against Fulham is definitely possible 🤞🤞
  • Options
    By some distance, Cullen is the player we miss most.
    If we can get him on the park for the majority of the final 18 games, together with an experienced forward, be that Taylor or his replacement, I believe we will should stay up
    The likes of JFC, Page, Aneke etc. can be disregarded. They are simply never going to be fit for long enough to make a difference.

• Options
    Wasn't at the game so can't comment on how we played or whi should or should not have been subbed.

However, we are now so far up shit creek we have just entered disaster gorge. ESI said they wanted to get the takeover done quickly (so much so they left the purchase of the Valley & the training ground until June) so they could make use of the transfer window. Have they fuck. 3 games in & we have brought 1 loanee in (and lost one). 1 signing fell through (Gnadduillet) because the selling club wanted more now than they did in the summer (the fact he has scored 15 goals since then might have something to do with it)....so we pulled out. Another player wanted an extra £1k per week.......so we pulled out. Maddison (supposedly) wants more than we want to offer.......so we left it there. To add insult to injury we then re-arrange a game during this month of woe and then being it forward a week ( to give Bowyer more time to prepare for the Barnsley match..?), so that another game will go by with fuck all players. You couldn't make it up.

I doubt very much anything will have changed come Wednesday (players have to sign by midday tuesday to be available for Fulham) and so we go into that match with the same set of players that have managed one win in 16......so if you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always got. Yes, William's is now back & Cullen might be on the bench on Wednesday.....but they dont score goals. Taylor is supposed to be back in a week or so but there is no guarantee he'll still be here then (would be interesting to see who this player swap deal involved) & Bonne could be out for another 2 or 3 weeks. We desperately need an experience striker (or 2) and an attacking midfielder. Going into games saying "it will be ok when xxx returns" or "wait until Jan 31st when players will need to make a decision" is just folly......and just means we have missed out on picking up points NOW. 

The Barnsley game is massive now ....and we all know we dont turn up for big games where we need to fight & scrap for every ball. 

But on a positive note....

• Options
    Don't normally comment on this thread but feel that we need to get something Wednesday night especially because we play this game before our rivals.

In terms of signings we need to be realistic.
    If there is a good chance of relegation then we should not change the wage structure if in six months we need to revisit our squad because we are in L1

So who might come? It will be players who have something to prove. Andre Gray is a good example of this. He had an unsuccessful spell at Preston so he is happy to join us. I suspect that JohnBostock would come into this category. On the transfer thread I noted that 
    Glen  Whelan has been released by Hearts. Like Gray he was in Villa's squad last season. Other experienced players who might come are Liam Bridcutt or Tom Carroll. 

I supported the acquisition of Joe Ledley and accept that he was a disaster because he was not match fit, although at the time we had no other option. Had he got his fitness back he could have provided the quality we need. Clearly he was not interested.

If any of the names I mentioned are interested then I think we could make moves for them. 
  • Options

Even if ESI come good, Southall has been poor in January. That will not change for me. I can see what is happening and it is not good enough.
    At the moment, to me, he simply comes across as someone who is a tad awestruck; someone who can't quite believe what has fallen in his lap, and that he is now the chairman of a decent sized and well established London football club, that has a pretty unique and exceptional fan base. It's a totally different level to anything that he has ever done before. 

All the photo opportunities, all the tweets, all the adulation; he's understandably lapping it up! He's gone from relative obscurity, to being thrust into the limelight, and is currently (probably inadvertently) milking it for all its worth (wouldn't we all). 

I'm sure, and I hope, it will all come good(?). This coming week will be particularly pivitol, I think. 
  • Options

Are we ? Why do you say that ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Ok, I agree we miss Cullen, but the solution to our predicament seems to be players we had under Roland coming back. No proactivity towards what has been an injury crisis. Not a blip, but a crisis and January was the opportunity to try to do something about it. Not disrespect 12 available points. Bowyer knows that as does Gallen. He can't say it given the situation but we can and I make you 100% right Golfie. How dare you be a negative bastard for calling it as it is, it must be all your fault!
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    As expected, Forster-Caskey was due to start today with Cullen coming on. Now Forster-Caskey might be out for a bit longer, hopefully Barnsley we can keep our fingers crossed. And of course, hopefully Cullen is on the bench on Wednesday.

We need at least a couple in beforehand though. 
  • Options

Well bowyer was a phone call away from  signing on monday??
  • Options
    I think it might have been two short ones to be fair!
  • Options

Have a day off. 
  • Options
    I agree Lee, I'm beginning to feel there might be a con going on
  • Options

Well bowyer was a phone call away from  signing on monday??
    Sorry, when you said that I thought you were referring to a long term historical inability to get contracts sorted quickly.
    I didn't realise you were talking about Lee Bowyer's this week.