Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton | Sat 18 Jan | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    6 out of the last 7 league games we have conceded 2 , we are so weak right now it’s a joke .

Not one to get sucked in by platitudes , talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words , ESI are our only chance of survival cos this squad is not good enough in its current state , show me the money .
    seriously anyone who has a clue re football knows the Jan window is premium so you’ll have to pay up if you want to survive.
    Was with an Arsenal fan last week and when I mentioned our injury crisis he said it was them or someone else a few years back (I was pissed so can’t remember which team it was) who were suffering a joke number of injuries/strains etc and when it was looked in to it was their training methods that were wrong and what was culpable for the crisis, could this be in play here ?

63%   13th-21st ..........................37% Relegation

It'd be remiss to not look into our training and our medical department. We have been plagued with mass injuries for years. Something must be wrong. 
  • Options
    Our set up for throw on's sums it up

When it's our throw no movement by our players and at times we throw to the opposition direct. When it's the opposition throw no shutting down and it becomes too easy for them to keep possession.

Crossing is appalling as well

This has been the same for 2.seasons, even when we were playing well. 

People moaning about Hemed and Davidson need to watch what sort of scraps they were given yesterday, if any. 
    When we did get in attacking positions the crosses were Shit. Can't think of another untactful word, it just shit and has been all season. Too high, too low, no pace, too much pace. Just cross a fucking ball, your paid enough to do that whoever it is doing it. 
  • Options
    Afraid Lee Bowyer's post-match quotes are getting repetitive and boring - "we gave everything" "young lads did well" etc, etc, yawn. Maybe he thinks that is what fans want to hear. Not in my case. What this fan would like to hear is at least a hint of how we are actually progressing in the transfer market. I know he cannot go into fine detail but give us some hope to cling to.
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Afraid Lee Bowyer's post-match quotes are getting repetitive and boring - "we gave everything" "young lads did well" etc, etc, yawn. Maybe he thinks that is what fans want to hear. Not in my case. What this fan would like to hear is at least a hint of how we are actually progressing in the transfer market. I know he cannot go into fine detail but give us some hope to cling to.
    He did say bodies in before Fulham but who knows if it’ll happen.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights and thought I'd come here to declare... Sarr was completely done by Bauer, sent completely the wrong way on the run into the box, Pratley mistimed his jump too, but Oshilaja ducked the header? 
    What the actual F.
  • Options
    If we'd had a couple of bodies in before yday Preston were there for th taking, they looked shite if I'm honest. 
  • Options
    Who lost Bauer for his free header? Bowyer seems v unhappy about it
  • Options
    Who lost Bauer for his free header? Bowyer seems v unhappy about it
    Fckin everyone

He ran through 4 players unmarked all looking at and marking each other. 
    To duck the header is criminal. 

• Options
    I think 2 people were marking Bauer, knowing he posed a threat. One marking him and one marking the space he's likely to run into. Both failed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still, a 6ft 4 CH is probably the last person you'd expect to meet a corner...... 
  • Options
    Our defence has been embarrassing during this poor run of results.  

Can't pass the ball 
    Can't clear the ball 
    Can't pick up runners 
    Can't mark players from dead balls
    Can't challenge in the air 
    Can't be bothered to close down and try and prevent crosses into our box
    Can't be bothered to close down and try prevent shots from the edge of the box
    Panic stations every time the ball comes in the box 

Why are they not being coached on how to rectify these problems and become a more solid unit?

Who is working with them in training? 

We can blame injuries to the midfield all we like but it doesn't excuse shit defending.  Okay,  we all accept the odd mistake or own goal etc but we make the same mistakes every single game. 

We are so easy to score against and it is not being dealt with. 

Everyone is going on about signing a striker,  midfielder but that is not going to solve the blatantly obvious defensive issues. 

Losing by the odd goal is papering over the cracks.  We have been getting away with it and sooner rather than later we are going to get our arses kicked good and proper.  I fear it will be on Wednesday night against Fulham. 

• Options
    Jesus, have a lie-down
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Jesus, have a lie-down
    Is nobody else allowed an opinion apart from you? 
  • Options

When it's our throw no movement by our players and at times we throw to the opposition direct. When it's the opposition throw no shutting down and it becomes too easy for them to keep possession.

People moaning about Hemed and Davidson need to watch what sort of scraps they were given yesterday, if any. 
    When we did get in attacking positions the crosses were Shit. Can't think of another untactful word, it just shit and has been all season. Too high, too low, no pace, too much pace. Just cross a fucking ball, your paid enough to do that whoever it is doing it. 
    Maybe the crap crossing comes from the fact the ball is being delivered from a defender/ wingback. I didnt see David Beckham put in too many crap crosses. Play with proper wingers if you want to see decent crossing..
  • Options
    Brown59 said:
    ESI look like a load of wind at the moment won’t be long before the fans turn on them. Not seen anything to convince me that there real. 
    I might be wrong here but I’m getting the impression that you don’t like esi very much 😂😂
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Leuth said:
    Jesus, have a lie-down
    When that opinion laughably scapegoats the only part of our team that's remotely holding things together at the moment, in such terms as 'can't pass' or 'can't be bothered' or 'can't pick up runners' then no. Yeah the Preston winner was a bit of an all-round shambles and Bauer was unchallenged, and yeah the zone the ball fell into should have been slightly better defended (Andre Green, a striker, and Oshilaja ended up looking at each other), but in open play I thought our defence was strong and received very little protection from anyone not named Pratley - which has been the case for a few games now. Lockyer and Sarr were both holding fort and making play - certainly the charge sheet you've drawn up against them doesn't remotely reflect them or their recent performances. And Matthews and Doughty are really starting to do well. 

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but a clueless, one-eyed rant is not an opinion, it's a soapbox.
  • Options

Maybe the crap crossing comes from the fact the ball is being delivered from a defender/ wingback. I didnt see David Beckham put in too many crap crosses. Play with proper wingers if you want to see decent crossing..
    Green looks like he has a decent cross in him from WBA game but has to play up front. Frustrating yesteday my only hope was Alfie Doughty running down the line to in a corner. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    E_cafc said:
    Leuth said:
    Jesus, have a lie-down
    When that opinion laughably scapegoats the only part of our team that's remotely holding things together at the moment, in such terms as 'can't pass' or 'can't be bothered' or 'can't pick up runners' then no. Yeah the Preston winner was a bit of an all-round shambles and Bauer was unchallenged, and yeah the zone the ball fell into should have been slightly better defended (Andre Green, a striker, and Oshilaja ended up looking at each other), but in open play I thought our defence was strong and received very little protection from anyone not named Pratley - which has been the case for a few games now. Lockyer and Sarr were both holding fort and making play - certainly the charge sheet you've drawn up against them doesn't remotely reflect them or their recent performances. And Matthews and Doughty are really starting to do well. 

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but a clueless, one-eyed rant is not an opinion, it's a soapbox.
    Leuth said:
    E_cafc said:
    Leuth said:
    Jesus, have a lie-down

So, it's just the Preston winner is it? What a short memory span you have. Did you forget their 1st goal? No closing down. 

If you want a list to remind you of some of the others let me know. 

• Options
    Reading thru the thread, we’re doomed!

I honestly did not expect much out of the WBA,PNE or Fulham matches, there’s lots of points to play for yet, injured players don’t simply just return and hit form. 

With two or three half decent players in and a bit more time for the returning injured players, February is when we see if we are doomed on not, keep the faith, fourth from bottom is good top half is still possible. 

COYRs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I think 2 people were marking Bauer, knowing he posed a threat. One marking him and one marking the space he's likely to run into. Both failed.
    From my playing days *cough* I can remember the same thing happening many times. Everybody's rushing around marking the attackers, no one is attacking the ball. Attack the effing ball.
  • Options

IMO Anyone who gets paid to pay football should be able to put a decent cross in.

I accept crosses won't be perfect all the time but some of the time would be a start. 
  • Options
    Pinning Preston's first goal on the defence is ridiculous. A midfielder should have been there to challenge after Pratley was drawn wide. Neither Williams or Dempsey were able to do that 
  • Options
    I think I am one of the more optomistic people who use this forum,I am however a little worried.
    We know from his time at Charlton how dangerous  Bauer could be at set pieces,we have a crap recor d at set pieces this year which has cost us points.And yet,he got a free header.Sunday morning football,if there is a known threat at set pieces,one player marks,and another marks the space where the ball is likely to be delivered,why cant pros do this realatively simple job.While I  accept that contract talks are not easy,Bowyers situation is a distraction,how can he concentrate on the team and be eternally involved in his own personal situation.
    The transfer situation is a dilemna,we all know that we have players waiting to return who can easily play in this league,what to do,if we panic and get new players in,will they hit the ground running,or take the usual 2-3 games to bed in,if this is the case we might as well wait for our own to come back and save some money for the summer.
    Time is running out,luckily our rivals below us keep losing ,we somehow must not lose on wednesday,that gives us 10 days to recoup and prepare to get the 6 wins we need to stay up,it will require a monumental effort,especially form the supporters,who have been in another class this season.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean, yes, we concede twice in most games, because teams are overrunning us and completely dominating play. But why not think of it another way - we've only conceded three once this season, and that was in the 94th minute with Sarr up front hunting an equaliser. Meanwhile, other teams cop thrashings all the time. Why hasn't that happened to us? 
    Because of the belief Bowyer, JJ and Gallen have built around this young team. 

You've got other teams around us with no or minor injury list, they have full strength squads and are conceding 3+ goals constantly. They have no belief and that will get you relegated.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Disagree with Bowyer on his comment about scoring 1 today but letting in 2. If you score more than your opponent then you will win, so the emphasis is on scoring, not not letting any in. If we had scored a 2nd & gone 2-0 I bet we would have won. How many games this season have we gone 2 goals clear & then lost...? None. And only once have we drawn (Home to Cardiff). Not many games do you score 2 & lose. And you win a bloody lot more.

Sign some strikers. We wont win many games with Davison & Hemed.

Your view on the game of football is absolutely fascinating. But not in a good way.
    Really....??  Can you tell me why as all I said is that you need to score at least one goal to win a football match. Generally if you get 2 you dont usually lose.......3 and you're pretty certain to win.

I'll break it down even further for you. If you never score you'll never win. The best you'll ever do is a 0-0 draw. 46 of those will give you 46 points. Might stay up but more likely to go down. 

It's a bit like the old "rules of the game of cricket as described to a stranger" that you find on tea towels. The aim of football is to win........and to do that you first need to score. It is not rocket science.

I get what you're saying Golfie but it was Curbs that always went "Back To Basics" following a bad run, and it usually worked for him.

That didn't involve going totally defensive but it was a case of every player doing his job properly and keeping things simple. Tightening up defensively doesn't mean playing for 0-0 draws.

The problem is do we have the players to do this right now?
    There is nothing wrong with going back to basics but your final question explains why there is little point in doing that. We have to be honest and say that with the injuries we have and have had, the performances overall have been amazing. We have been in most games for sure and credit for that goes to Bowyer.

But the reason it has been amazing is we are just too weak with the players out or coming back in some cases not 100%. So you cast an eye away from gutsy performances and look at the stats. I see one win in 16. That win was when we were able to field a front two of Taylor (even though he wasn't fully fit) and Bonne. It did tell me that with the closeness of games we didn't need a great deal extra to bring in a few more points. But in this window we are weaker now that it started. I think we would have got something out of yesterday's game against a poor Preston side with Gallagher.

Now moving on to ESI. I am highly critical but am not writing them off. I am just critical of what I have seen so far. I seriously can't imagine why anybody can be positive. There are some people who think they understand how it all works and lecture the rest of us on how hard it is to do business in January. The thing is, we know that but the situation, which has been and is, a genuine crisis, needed addressing. You have to factor in the cost of relegation against paying an extra 50 odd grand a year for a player.

I am also worried, but open for re-assurances. Only I am at the point where the re-assurances I am seeking are what I see and not what I am told. Why? Because we have been told a few things, call them promises or whatever you want, but we have been told things that haven't happened regarding players and Bowyer and we learn the deal was rushed through so Roland has lost the part of the club he didn't want and has kept the part worth money. This would be less worrying if ESI were having the window that they rushed the buying of the club to have - or so they told us in the West Brom Programme.

I do appreciate that there isn't much we can do. But we can see it and call it as it is unless we are ostriches. What Golf Addick has said is perfectly reasonable and he is being attacked for it. I am not writing ESI off and am merely demanding they stop pissing about and start to do something as the situation required they do something on January 1st. Bowyer is not in such an easy position. You can see he is a bit suspicious, but he is in the process of signing a contract that keeps him at the club for 5 years. I would imagine he wants to suss the owners out before he puts pen to paper. But he isn't going to slag them off. It is more a case of hoping it is still as good as it looked when it happened.

We all have to hope, but those that are saying, it is hard, be nice to them etc... are not paying attention. I was delighted when ESI took over and when they do ONE thing, yes ONE thing they have said they will do or have promised, I will be more comfortable which for anybody with their eyes open is an uncomfortable situation.  
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I do think the defence as a whole cops some unfair flack at times. All was fine at the start of the season when we had better midfielders playing plus an extra body in midfield. A lot of the time at the moment it just feels as though the midfield is bypassed and the defence are constantly having to deal with something. 
  • Options
    Well, I'd say a combination of attitude and defenders who can actually defend, contrary to popular opinion. 

It's gotten to the stage where I'm moved to defend Pearce - who I don't think is quite up to what our team is trying to do - but he's a perfectly adequate CB who makes the odd mistake and isn't so good on the deck. Some of the criticism he's been getting is very over the top. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean, yes, we concede twice in most games, because teams are overrunning us and completely dominating play. But why not think of it another way - we've only conceded three once this season, and that was in the 94th minute with Sarr up front hunting an equaliser. Meanwhile, other teams cop thrashings all the time. Why hasn't that happened to us? 
    Luck?