Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I thought the incident where Woodrow had the free hit (went over) was down to worse defending

You had both Lockyer / Pearce marking one man - Sarr was covering someone himself whilst Cullen / Pratley were behind him on the edge of the area anyway

Was frustrating how Phillips couldnt do anything (other than chest the ball out to the middle of the penalty area) but Woodrow shouldnt have been unmarked!!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He got sucked towards the ball because Pearce was backing away and there was no midfield present. It was a fair assumption that Doughty would help out too. You absolutely can't pin the goal on Sarr even though you so clearly want to 
    You are right that Sarr was certainly not to blame in any way for their goal but I don't think that you can blame Pearce either.
    It was Cullen who missed the ball, possibly too far up the pitch and it was Lockyer who was sidestepped far too easily. 
  • Options
    One thing that stood out for me yesterday was our throw ins, we actually had people running into space and we took hem quickly. Also they had two foul throws.

My son always laughs at me when I call the foul throws, as I did yesterday :(

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Leuth said:
    He got sucked towards the ball because Pearce was backing away and there was no midfield present. It was a fair assumption that Doughty would help out too. You absolutely can't pin the goal on Sarr even though you so clearly want to 
    That’s palpably not true - watch it again.  With luck, next season brings genuinely solid defenders ; I’d settle for the modern versions of Rufus and Brown. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You are right that Sarr was certainly not to blame in any way for their goal but I don't think that you can blame Pearce either.
    It was Cullen who missed the ball, possibly too far up the pitch and it was Lockyer who was sidestepped far too easily. 
    It was JFC who fucked up initially. Got to say thought he was well off his game.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Just watched the highlights. Lockyer very lucky not have had a yellow for his pull-back (the one where ref delayed giving a foul). 
  • Options
    We were decent first half with Williams, Taylor, Cullen & Green making a clear improvement.
    Barnsley looked like a struggling L1 team.
    It was very scrappy, but we were worth our 2-0 lead.

2nd half was nearly all Barnsley and the game had definitely changed when the dominant Williams was replaced by the generally invisible man JFC.

Cullen was clearly flagging and at fault for their goal.

Taylor is then subbed and replaced by Hemed who did make one decent cross, which has been his biggest contribution to the whole season. he offers us next to nothing.

We got lucky 2nd half with them hitting the woodwork for the 2nd & 3rd times, but I think we were due some.

I think most would agree Luton & Barnsley will probably be relegated so we've got to avoid the 3rd spot.

The good news is that despite Wigan's win at Leeds, the highlights suggested that they took a mauling, should have been thrashed and won with a deflected corner that looped up and over and ended in the far corner of the net. Bizarre.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Leuth said:
    Leuth, Cullen made two mistakes against Fulham and got away with it, unlike yesterday. Lockyer did another bad pass back yesterday but this time it didn't cost us a goal unlike against West Brom.

With the midfield going AWOL in last 20 minutes Naby and  Pearce had an impossible job.

I'm looking forward to the 2 new CB next season who are top Championship class !
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    It was JFC who fucked up initially. Got to say thought he was well off his game.
    JFC was dire but he fucked up on the edge of their 18 yard box 
  • Options
    Can see why Bowyer went for midfield players in the window. We have the ability in midfield but need a bit more 'steel'. The magnificent Pratley can't do it all on his own.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Watch Sarr get sucked towards the ball for their goal yesterday ; if he’d laid off and marked Woodrow, it would have been a much harder shot to get away 
    Feel that's a bit harsh. If Sarr had peeled off to Woodrow it would have left a massive gap that geezer would have just ran into. You can see that on the highlights. 
    Exactly. Sarr has to narrow up and at least it meant the striker would have to go across Phillips (who seemed to be beaten by the ferocity of the shot). 
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Can see why Bowyer went for midfield players in the window. We have the ability in midfield but need a bit more 'steel'. The magnificent Pratley can't do it all on his own.
    You'd hope thats where David Davis comes in

Same with Sam Field who has the added ability on the ball
  • Options
    That save from Phillips in real time was one of the best I’ve ever seen from a charlton keeper. He has been so consistent for us and keeps making big saves, my POTY as it stands. 

cullen is class, was everywhere yesterday, so gutting we won’t get to keep him but it’s been great watching him develop last 18 months, could yet with POTY. Lost that crucial tackle before their goal though.

Don’t think bowyer can be criticised for subbing Williams or Taylor, hindsight is a wonderful thing but if they’d got injured 10 minutes later we’d have been saying he should have subbed them off earlier we were 2-0 up. The decision to replace Williams with jfc was the error, as one less attacking player combined with the energy lost from Taylor meant we no longer pressed them at all in their half and couldn’t retain possession. Should’ve been Oz or maybe mcgeady.

not as impressed as others seem to have been by Green - well taken goal but think I preferred Leko, better at bringing the ball down and holding it up aside from the skill. 
    I agree with you on Green. Lovely finish but looked 2nd to most things. In his defence, he's probably not a striker and he's possibly not at his peak fitness, as he hasn't played much. He did shows good signs later on and he ought to do well in the coming weeks. 
  • Options
    I think the problem Bowyer has is that the recovering players are either not up to speed (e.g. JFC) or unable to play the full 90. We had too many tired players out there in front of the defence, and it's no help having extra players on the bench or in the squad, as you can only bring on 3 subs...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I already said that Cullen was largely at fault! Pearce played the percentages rather than challenging the guy to beat him, and it had to be a good finish in the end, which it was 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    That’s palpably not true - watch it again.  With luck, next season brings genuinely solid defenders ; I’d settle for the modern versions of Rufus and Brown. 
    Yes and let's sign the modern Simonsen, the modern Jensen, the modern Bent, the modern Powell, the modern Shirtliff, the modern Bartram and the modern Hales while we're about it
  • Options
    I think the problem Bowyer has is that the recovering players are either not up to speed (e.g. JFC) or unable to play the full 90. We had too many tired players out there in front of the defence, and it's no help having extra players on the bench or in the squad, as you can only bring on 3 subs...
    Be easier next week as we can add one of Smith / Davis to the team - Will mean that if neither start then at least the bench wont be all but filled with players returning from injury
  • Options
    So obviously someone was to blame for our...ummmm...win?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Thought JFC did as well as could be expected but was the wrong choice of sub.
    Buit harsh to say that he fucked up. It was Cullen that should have cut the ball off before it left their half. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You might think I'm crazy for saying this but Cullen reminds me of Roy Keane. I love the way he breaks up the play and Carrie's the ball out. Not a chance he will be with us next year.
    Matthew's was brilliant today. Such a solid player!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It was a bit squeaky bum as when we drop deep and don't have Taylor or Williams on the pitch, we allow opponents to get into our half too easily. Consequently they are able to set up attack after attack. Understandable given the circumstances, but something to work on. It was a matter of time before they equalised and happily time run out before that happened. At the end of the day it was all about the three points. If we can follow up with something positive next week we will be positioning ourselves nicely to clear the danger zone.
  • Options
    We shouldn't go to pieces if Taylor and Williams aren't on the pitch. If we keep defending so deep and stay camped in our half we'll struggle to win games.
  • Options

Tired players ??  They've just had 10 days without a game fgs. It wasn't like they played midweek.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The thing about Williams is that he nips in, nicks the ball and draws fouls and Taylor battles and occupies defenders. JFC and Hemed didn't do badly but that isn't their game, and as we drop deeper the gap between our attack and the rest of the side becomes too big. 

It is predictable when you have been on teh run we have, but I'm sure Bowyer will be working on addressing it. Thankfully we were not punished.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Tired players ??  They've just had 10 days without a game fgs. It wasn't like they played midweek.

*sigh*

I don't even have the energy to write a response to this.
    Sometimes I wish there was a mute option like there is on Twitter.

It actually drains a little bit away from me when I read negative or things that show a lack of understanding like this.
    I actually originally wrote 'Maybe @Sage could explain the finer points of why this comment is so wrong'. But I didn't want to saddle you with it ha ha.