Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    He got sucked towards the ball because Pearce was backing away and there was no midfield present. It was a fair assumption that Doughty would help out too. You absolutely can't pin the goal on Sarr even though you so clearly want to 
    That’s palpably not true - watch it again.  With luck, next season brings genuinely solid defenders ; I’d settle for the modern versions of Rufus and Brown. 
    Yes and let's sign the modern Simonsen, the modern Jensen, the modern Bent, the modern Powell, the modern Shirtliff, the modern Bartram and the modern Hales while we're about it
    You forgot the modern Summers :-)
  • Options
    Sage said:

Tired players ??  They've just had 10 days without a game fgs. It wasn't like they played midweek.

*sigh*

I don't even have the energy to write a response to this.
    Sometimes I wish there was a mute option like there is on Twitter.

It actually drains a little bit away from me when I read negative or things that show a lack of understanding like this.
    I actually originally wrote 'Maybe @Sage could explain the finer points of why this comment is so wrong'. But I didn't want to saddle you with it ha ha. 
    I don’t have the energy to explain something that I am sure is so obvious to everyone else. But appreciate the thought :joy:
  • Options
    Not sure anybody has said relegation is a forgone formality but happy Sunday anyway @ForeverAddickted 😝
  • Options
    Late to post. Felt the substitutions in theory made sense, but JFC is for me a limited player.  I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt fitness wise, because he’s a had a long layoff, but I just think he’s a bit powder puff and should be playing no higher than League One.  Expect Karl Robinson would offer him a move in the summer given he brought him here and he’s out of contract.  

It was frustrating because once the subs had been made, we weren’t really able to do anything attacking wise like maybe bring on McGeady. We weren’t going to take off Green, and you’re unlikely to ever sub a sub.

Rode our luck in the end but a good 3 points.  Were in complete control with Taylor & Williams on the pitch, but understand why they both had to come off.  Just wished we’d replaced them with Field and McGeady, rather than JFC and Hemed 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    He got sucked towards the ball because Pearce was backing away and there was no midfield present. It was a fair assumption that Doughty would help out too. You absolutely can't pin the goal on Sarr even though you so clearly want to 
    That’s palpably not true - watch it again.  With luck, next season brings genuinely solid defenders ; I’d settle for the modern versions of Rufus and Brown. 
    Yes and let's sign the modern Simonsen, the modern Jensen, the modern Bent, the modern Powell, the modern Shirtliff, the modern Bartram and the modern Hales while we're about it
    Rufus (yes he was better than that) and Brown were solid championship (division one)  centre backs that played several seasons for us in the second tier; That shouldn’t be unrealistic. The other  players you name were top class players- I’m not asking for that.  

I know you love Naby but I cannot wait for him to be off the books and for his enormous wage to be taken up by a french league 2 side.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Don't think there is an official stat for this, but Williams must be the most consistently fouled player in the Championship.  Not so much a marked man, more a target for opposition players to practice their agricultural skills on.  

Are all the fouls deliberate or just clumsy defending? Lost count of the number of times he got taken down yesterday.
    I'd say at least a third of them aren't even fouls. Don't forget he was at the same midfield academy as Zaha.

The worst tackle on him yesterday and the only one I saw that actually hurt him, was when Cullen caught his ankle.
    That's complete and utter bollox.  He may not try hard to stay on his feet when clipped but he is continually fouled.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    1968CAFC said:
    We got the result we needed,
    it was not pretty in the second half
    and Barnsley could have snatched a
    draw. fortunately they did not.
    awful moments of comedy panic
    after LT and JW came off.

We will have to play a lot better 
    especially in midfield when we travel
    to Stoke next week, or we could suffer.

i am Certain LB has a tactical plan.
    Come on you Reds !!

Good effort, but other than better and suffer, it doesn’t rhyme.
    Free form poetry.  All the rage.
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    Croydon said:
    Hemed is obviously this season's marmite player. I really like him, he's strong in the air and is a nuisance for defenders. He's improved game by game since his injury and just needs a goal I feel. Similar to Josh Parker last season. 
    I thought he worked hard again but I wouldn't say he's strong in the air. Wins a few but loses more.
    Given he's had virtually no service in the games he's played he's doing alright. 

If you look at his playing career then it is clear that Hemed is very useful in the air. But his strength is challenging in the box from balls played in from wide positions i.e when he is running on to the ball and facing the goal. He is not a target man for long balls played to him where he has his back to goal.

Now, we just need wide men who can get decent crosses in!!
    Indeed. Can't recall a single header he's had in a situation like that but I may be mistaken. 
    Green gave him just that today. From where I was sitting it looked on a plate
    The diving header from around the spot was Cullen.  Hemed got to around the 6yd box for a cross from the left wing but it was way above his head so he had no chance to even connect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Just watched the highlights. Lockyer very lucky not have had a yellow for his pull-back (the one where ref delayed giving a foul). 
    He did get a yellow, just a bit later when the foul was actually given.
  • Options
    What was the ‘tequila’ song chanted yesterday?? 
    Couldn’t make out the word
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    Mcgeady
  • Options

We've just obtained four points from those two game, so what it isnt good enough we didnt get maximum points had the Fulham game been moved to another time - Once again it was pretty much a masterstroke from the Management team you continue to get clueless idiots who just dont have a clue

Another factor to take into account is that we've just beaten a rival by not playing well - The issue people said was the fact we cant beat these physical teams, yes the second half wasnt brilliant but just like Preston when we played them... We got the goals we saw out the game!!

Now bloody well start to believe that relegation ISNT a foregone conclusion because like recent events, your just gonna make yourselves look stupid!!
    Superb. Don't forget the paracetamol on the way home. 😉
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    sammy391 said:
    Oh Tahnoon Nimer,
    Please make us happy,
    With all your millions,
    Buy us some stars,
    We’re not asking you for Lionel Messi,
    But maybe Mbappe would be a start!!!!

(To the tune of the Terrorvision version)

• Options
    People are missing the point about why we lost control of the game in the last 30 mins. It was little to do with our substitutions more to do with Barnsley's change in tactics. They were playing 5-3-2, but then took off a wing back and bought on a midfielder and went 4-4-2. Because we were tiring and playing deeper and deeper, quite a few times it looked like 6 or 7 players in a line across the defence. We ended up with two midfielders against their four. This then meant that they could pass around us with ease. 
    I thought Bowyer's response was wrong, yes take Doughty off because he was tiring, but should have bought Field or Otzumer on to bolster midfield and gone to 4-4-2 to match them, with Sarr going over to left back, rather than bringing Purrington on to carry on the 5-3-2 formation.
    It is a concern of mine that we do drop far too deep with too many players playing in a line across the back. It just gives the opposition too much space in midfield to apply pressure. We need to keep the midfield and defensive lines separate, clearly defined and cut out the opposition midfield gaining ascendancy. 
    However we WON! that's the most important thing, and I guess Bowyer was juggling these possibilities in his head.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    People are missing the point about why we lost control of the game in the last 30 mins. It was little to do with our substitutions more to do with Barnsley's change in tactics. They were playing 5-3-2, but then took off a wing back and bought on a midfielder and went 4-4-2. Because we were tiring and playing deeper and deeper, quite a few times it looked like 6 or 7 players in a line across the defence. We ended up with two midfielders against their four. This then meant that they could pass around us with ease. 
    I thought Bowyer's response was wrong, yes take Doughty off because he was tiring, but should have bought Field or Otzumer on to bolster midfield and gone to 4-4-2 to match them, with Sarr going over to left back, rather than bringing Purrington on to carry on the 5-3-2 formation.
    It is a concern of mine that we do drop far too deep with too many players playing in a line across the back. It just gives the opposition too much space in midfield to apply pressure. We need to keep the midfield and defensive lines separate, clearly defined and cut out the opposition midfield gaining ascendancy. 
    However we WON! that's the most important thing, and I guess Bowyer was juggling these possibilities in his head.
    I agree with this 100%. I think part of the issue was we had something to hang on to but Barnsley had to score and we decided to try to stop them rather than threaten them too much at the other end. But basically when we do this, the ball keeps coming back to our half and when we attack, lack of support means we lose it quickly and it comes back.

When confidence is not high this can happen, but as you say, the subs impact on this too. JFC doesn't do what Williams does and when he is isolated, he will get outmuscled which isn't his fault and Hemed really looks to me to be a striker who is better suited to playing off players, whereas Taylor can make a real nuisance of himself on his own.

But ultimately we won, and returning players got more minutes under their belts. 
  • Options
    We desperately needed the win on so many levels. The new owner in the stand added extra.
    So glad we have a bit of confidence going forward with important games coming up. The reinforcements will help spread the load and let the walking wounded regain their fitness levels.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If only Doughty got his head up, Green could have had a hat trick yesterday! 
  • Options
    jondon76 said:
    Has there been any confirmation of the rumour Fulham were interested in signing Alfie? 
    Hope we get him signed up on a new contract asap. He will be a star.
    I agree that a couple of times against Barnsley he didnt get his head up and spot Green but that will improve so imagine how good he will be when it does.
  • Options
    jondon76 said:
    Has there been any confirmation of the rumour Fulham were interested in signing Alfie? 
    Hope we get him signed up on a new contract asap. He will be a star.
    I agree that a couple of times against Barnsley he didnt get his head up and spot Green but that will improve so imagine how good he will be when it does.
    Yes. MS addressed it in the video on twitter
  • Options
    Result all important , the performance scares me .
    Taylor the perfect wind up .
    How we ever can moan about other teams time wasting I’ll never know , we are just blatant nothing more so than the standard catch standing up by Phillips always followed by the dive to the floor, genuinely pathetic but I love it !! 
    Liked the Tequila attempt , maybe one day we’ll sing it as good as Tranmere but we’ll have to wake up half our support ! 
    Wigan result heart breaker but proves these teams won’t lay down and die .

80%  13th-21st ..........................20%  Relegation 

• Options
    We can't moan about time wasting, it is a general issue in football because the time added on doesn't reflect the time wasted. In terms of the performance, we would be laying seige on the Barnsley goal if we were losing. In the first half we were decent. I wouldn't worry too much about the performance but our tactics when we are ahead need reviewing. Which is something I'm sure Bowyer is doing, whilst accepting it is also about personnel too.
  • Options

It is to do with the substitutions !! Of course Barnsley are going to attack more when they are behind.
    However taking the two players off that we have, that can actually hold a ball up - Taylor & Williams without replaing them with someone who can do something similar is inviting Barnsley to presss forward. Unfortunately we only had runners and defending players on at the end - not people that can actually hold the ball until they can get help from other playes and take pressure off the defence!  Ths is simple football management.  
  • Options
    It was all about the personnel available, and why Davies and Smith came to bolster the midfield. Bostock and Maddison were the selected pair but greed on MM part and some lazy arse French admin staff meant it's a younger version of Pratley and Man city academy boy who have signed on loans. 
    Could these two lads and McGeady's cameos end up being serendipitous come May ?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Result all important , the performance scares me .
    Taylor the perfect wind up .
    How we ever can moan about other teams time wasting I’ll never know , we are just blatant nothing more so than the standard catch standing up by Phillips always followed by the dive to the floor, genuinely pathetic but I love it !! 
    Liked the Tequila attempt , maybe one day we’ll sing it as good as Tranmere but we’ll have to wake up half our support ! 
    Wigan result heart breaker but proves these teams won’t lay down and die .

80%  13th-21st ..........................20%  Relegation 

Have a look at the video posted yesterday, done by Barnsley themselves. Phillips antics towards the end were cringeworthy. Feel to the floor in stages & incensed one of their players so much that he got booked. Great you may say that Phillips got one of their players booked but imo he crossed the line between "taking time out" and "play acting".