Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Hemed is obviously this season's marmite player. I really like him, he's strong in the air and is a nuisance for defenders. He's improved game by game since his injury and just needs a goal I feel. Similar to Josh Parker last season. 
    The player he remind me of most is Yann. Obviously not to his level, but he's clearly got that ability to  flick a ball on to another player that suddenly opens an attack up. He did a lovely one for Green that we were unfortunate didn't result in something more. If Green's cross in to him later had been lower as well then we would have seen Hemed sink a header in for us. He might never get to a point where he's playing consistently enough to produce for us but you can see what the intention was when signing him.

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Hemed is obviously this season's marmite player. I really like him, he's strong in the air and is a nuisance for defenders. He's improved game by game since his injury and just needs a goal I feel. Similar to Josh Parker last season. 
    The player he remind me of most is Yann. Obviously not to his level, but he's clearly got that ability to  flick a ball on to another player that suddenly opens an attack up. He did a lovely one for Green that we were unfortunate didn't result in something more. If Green's cross in to him later had been lower as well then we would have seen Hemed sink a header in for us. He might never get to a point where he's playing consistently enough to produce for us but you can see what the intention was when signing him.

The only similarity with Yann is that neither has pace. 
    Yann had far more ability, strength and awareness. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    Croydon said:
    I thought he worked hard again but I wouldn't say he's strong in the air. Wins a few but loses more.
    Given he's had virtually no service in the games he's played he's doing alright. 

If you look at his playing career then it is clear that Hemed is very useful in the air. But his strength is challenging in the box from balls played in from wide positions i.e when he is running on to the ball and facing the goal. He is not a target man for long balls played to him where he has his back to goal.

Now, we just need wide men who can get decent crosses in!!
    I think Green will be the player to get decent crosses in once we have 2 out and out strikers on the pitch with him. 

I was annoyed yesterday when he broke and Hemed made a great run and just missed his header, we had 8 other players in or around the halfway line not backing them up. 

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Don't think there is an official stat for this, but Williams must be the most consistently fouled player in the Championship.  Not so much a marked man, more a target for opposition players to practice their agricultural skills on.  

Are all the fouls deliberate or just clumsy defending? Lost count of the number of times he got taken down yesterday.
    I'd say at least a third of them aren't even fouls. Don't forget he was at the same midfield academy as Zaha.

The worst tackle on him yesterday and the only one I saw that actually hurt him, was when Cullen caught his ankle.
    He loves a tumble, that's for sure. He went down 6 times in the first half. I was counting.

Two or three were a bit on the dubious side. He reminds me a bit of Andy Johnson like that.
  • Options
    We dominated the first half, having so much of the ball in their half, but with little idea how to actually carve out chances.  We had lots of set plays and opportunities first half and we were nearly made to pay for the lack of converting those into chances on goal.  Great to see Taylor and especially Green get a goal after his bad news this week (there also appears to be a nascent connection between them which I hope to see develop in the coming months; witness Lyle's comforting of an emotional Green after he scored and after the game - good to see).

In the second half we were almost totally impotent in this respect, especially after Taylor and Williams went off.  I understand why they had to, but it starkly showed that we are simply not the same team without them; devoid of creativity (JW) and the ability to actually hold up the ball in their half and then convert that into an attacking move (LT).  In the second half, when we had the ball near their goal we usually had two players pushed wide by five defending players making it tremendously difficult to create a chance of shooting on target.  Fair play to Barnsley; in the first half they were pretty awful, but in the second they were far superior given their closing down of our players and passing into space and spreading play which stretched us almost to breaking point.  I almost counted the players on both sides to make sure that they hadn't sneaked an extra player onto the pitch (although given the fact that Forster-Caskey was on the pitch..well, insert your own punchline) and they drove through our midfield at will all the way to the edge of the penalty box time and time again which is not good for the nerves!  We could not hold the ball up due to being outnumbered up front and our midfield was lacking....I look forward to when we can use that chap from Birmingham instead, as we desperately needed a box to box midfielder to impose himself on the game and gain us more possession, not least because it will knacker the players having to do that every match.

We held on, but we can't continue to ride our luck like that or it will cost us (the woodwork and Phillips came to our rescue too many times).  Hopefully with the new acquisitions and our injured players coming back and boosting the numbers we can avoid that situation again; but a rethink of late game tactics is definitely required if we are not to fall back into the habit of conceding late goals.

Still, three points is a great tonic and makes the table look nowhere near as scary as it was after Tuesday.  COYA!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

He reminds me more of Tucudean. Yann was far more physical and dynamic

Like Lyle, Yann was also very good at winning free kicks, whereas Hemed seem to crumple to the floor and get nothing from the ref. 
  • Options
    Huge result. Shame about Leeds doing their usual bottle job against Wigan.
    However, it's always nice to Leeds come unstuck.  Us staying up and Leeds staying down would be a nice end to the season.

Not when you are walking out of Elland Road on the last day of the season as a celebrating Charlton fan.
    Not the friendliest of places at the best of times! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huge result. Shame about Leeds doing their usual bottle job against Wigan.
    However, it's always nice to Leeds come unstuck.  Us staying up and Leeds staying down would be a nice end to the season.

Not when you are walking out of Elland Road on the last day of the season as a celebrating Charlton fan.
    Yes, I'd much rather a happy Elland Road with Leeds already up and us already safe!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Addickted said:
    Don't think there is an official stat for this, but Williams must be the most consistently fouled player in the Championship.  Not so much a marked man, more a target for opposition players to practice their agricultural skills on.  

Are all the fouls deliberate or just clumsy defending? Lost count of the number of times he got taken down yesterday.
    I'd say at least a third of them aren't even fouls. Don't forget he was at the same midfield academy as Zaha.

The worst tackle on him yesterday and the only one I saw that actually hurt him, was when Cullen caught his ankle.
    He loves a tumble, that's for sure. He went down 6 times in the first half. I was counting.

Two or three were a bit on the dubious side. He reminds me a bit of Andy Johnson like that.
    Zaha, Johnson and Jonny Williams ?

I see a pattern developing !
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Poor tactical decision then. Pushing Pratley forwards made no sense whatsoever. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Champs85 said:

If Barnsley go down then we need to buy Woodrow. Imagine keeping Taylor and putting them up top together, absolute hell for defenders. Also Thomas looked good and I’d take Mowatt. 

This. Three very, very good players. Hope SG had his notebook out.
    I have a sneaky feeling we will go for Mowatt in the summer... that will be an excellent signing.
    Is Woodrow out of contract in the summer? If not I can't see Barnsley letting him go for pennies.
    Anyway back to the game yesterday, massive 3 points. A game of 2 half's but we managed to hold on.
    Next up Stoke, birthday weekend for me so hoping for another 3 points for the Addicks.
    #wearestayingup
  • Options
    seemed to me that lb started with a very attacking line up and the prepared plan was to then shut up shop on 60 minutes if we were ahead - may have seen the likes of otzumer or mageedy on if we still needed a goal - i think this plan needs a bit of looking at 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The result takes priority over the performance in a game of such significance for me.

I thought we looked to have much more of a grasp over how the game was panning out in the first half and played accordingly while I don't think Barnsley realised where they could really exploit us. Towards the end of the first and start of the second, we looked to be trying to be too clever for me and I was thinking it was only going to be a matter of time before they got one back... but I'm just pleased to get over the line.

Green was definitely my Man of the Match for a hard-working performance after what must've been a hard week for him personally - he made some clever runs and showed some brilliant hold-up play as well as taking his goal very well.

Some other quick-fire thoughts...
    • You will have seen us play a lot more than me this season but I was consistently anxious when it came to our defending in this match. No complaints with Lockyer though - he looks a calm and composed presence and does his work with little problem. Their goal (after Cullen's mistake) comes from Pearce doing his best impression of Roger Johnson in failing to close down and eventually gets pinned on the back foot. Sarr has to come across to the ball and that frees up Woodrow for the goal. As for Sarr, I feel he's probably great fun to watch as a neutral but he's like watching Titus Bramble in that you feel he's always got a mistake in his locker. He did look commanding today but he clearly has issues communicating with his team-mates. He took himself out winning one header and he would've left Cullen in hospital unconscious for a week had he not got out of the way for another
    • People were moaning about signing three midfielders on deadline day but thank goodness we did because we could definitely benfit from having the option of rotating Cullen and Pratley. The former definitely was hanging on by the end and the latter put in another super-human effort. Pratley has been performing brilliantly but he was definitely lagging by the end having to press further up in the final ten minutes just to give us some kind of presence in their half
    • We used our throw-ins to brilliant effect but I lost count of how many times Barnsley switched off and allowed us to hurl the ball in-field to a team-mate or into space for someone to run onto. Some people criticise Liverpool for having a throw-in coach but I imagine they would've had a field day against a team who were simply not concentrating
    • I don't know what the situation is with Pearce and Solly in terms of their contracts but I would be tempted to offer Taylor the captaincy if he were to commit to a new contract. One moment in the first-half when Williams was tempted to double up on closing down one of Barnsley's left-sided players. Taylor ordered him to track his man and Williams eventually made a brilliant sliding tackle to knock the ball out of play. He just comes across as a natural leader both on and off the pitch - I think he was giving instructions to Hemed from the sidelines by the end!
    • I didn't think the ref had a bad game but it felt like he was a good yard off the pace. There was one moment where he took a good ten seconds before pulling the game back for a Barnsley free-kick and another instance where it took him an age to realise Green had been flagged after coming from an offside position to win the ball. And of course as everyone has said, he was far too lenient with Sollbauer.
    A big result though and something similar this Saturday and on February 22nd against Stoke City and Luton Town would go a big way to securing our Championship status.
  • Options
    That save from Phillips in real time was one of the best I’ve ever seen from a charlton keeper. He has been so consistent for us and keeps making big saves, my POTY as it stands. 

cullen is class, was everywhere yesterday, so gutting we won’t get to keep him but it’s been great watching him develop last 18 months, could yet with POTY. Lost that crucial tackle before their goal though.

Don’t think bowyer can be criticised for subbing Williams or Taylor, hindsight is a wonderful thing but if they’d got injured 10 minutes later we’d have been saying he should have subbed them off earlier we were 2-0 up. The decision to replace Williams with jfc was the error, as one less attacking player combined with the energy lost from Taylor meant we no longer pressed them at all in their half and couldn’t retain possession. Should’ve been Oz or maybe mcgeady.

not as impressed as others seem to have been by Green - well taken goal but think I preferred Leko, better at bringing the ball down and holding it up aside from the skill. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also Williams must be the most fouled player in the division, every game he wins countless free kicks
  • Options
    Was their keeper related to Thuram in anyway?
  • Options
    One thing that stood out for me yesterday was our throw ins, we actually had people running into space and we took hem quickly. Also they had two foul throws.
  • Options
    No lack of effort, but we were really holding on at the end and we have to manage games better or we will be made to pay.
    4 more wins needed.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Poor tactical decision then. Pushing Pratley forwards made no sense whatsoever. 
    Think the idea was to get him winning the wall back further up the field. Didn't quite work 
  • Options
    Watch Sarr get sucked towards the ball for their goal yesterday ; if he’d laid off and marked Woodrow, it would have been a much harder shot to get away 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Watch Sarr get sucked towards the ball for their goal yesterday ; if he’d laid off and marked Woodrow, it would have been a much harder shot to get away 
    Feel that's a bit harsh. If Sarr had peeled off to Woodrow it would have left a massive gap that geezer would have just ran into. You can see that on the highlights. 
  • Options
    Phillips kicking was a lot better