Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    LenGlover said:

Anyone know why Lockyer got booked? I have no idea. Just one of a number of bizarre decisions by the referee.

Stonewall yellow for a foul in the previous attack when advantage was played
    Spot on. Undoubtedly a yellow card. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Was amazing that Doughty and Matthews weren't booked either - the former for an extremely petulant lash into the side-netting about five seconds after the whistle had gone, and the latter for a wild halfway-line lunge that their man thankfully hurdled
  • Options
    Agree, ref inconsistent. Bottled it not sending 18? off. After late challenge on Lyle.

It’s always easy to moan about opposition about time wasting, today we were on another level 🤣

My son nearly bet on a Phillips yellow with 10 minutes to go....

He bet on 2-1 so Didn’t do too bad....
  • Options
    Look at that little bloke with the short grey hair come through from the back and punch the steward in the face. Needs outing.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Oh blud ,that was a sick result man.
  • Options
    Did we actually have a shot at goal - let alone on target - in the entire second half?  No.

Barnsley had 61 per cent possession, and 16 shots - hitting the woodwork three times.  We did not.

We were very lucky to win - at home against a team lower in the division.

And?? 
  • Options
    Did we actually have a shot at goal - let alone on target - in the entire second half?  No.

Barnsley had 61 per cent possession, and 16 shots - hitting the woodwork three times.  We did not.

And?? 
    He said we were lucky...

With the euphoria of a win, it is easy to scoff - not aiming at you. We were (very) lucky 2nd half. Wouldn’t have been pleasant on here if ended 2-2 after being 2-0 at HT. Very nervous moments last 20 minutes.

We were far from good at all 2nd half, we were 2/0 up, at home, against a poor team. We were lucky with them hitting the woodwork.

Achieved 3 points ..... just

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Bet Matt heaved a sigh of relief there...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Good:
    - We won
    - Wore new "lucky" scarf for first time- many thanks @centurion!
    - Taylor, Williams & Cullen getting back to fitness 
    - Andre Green
    - Dills on top form
    - Twisting & Shouting in the Covered End
    - Lyle waving to Barnsley fans when subbed 
    - Our owner watching
    - Great catch up with many in pub after 

The Bad:
    - Hanging on at the end
    - Cullen- love him to bits, but just enough off the pace today to be a bit of a liability with our attacking free kick which they nearly scored from and a few missed tackles and passes. Also took JW out at one point 
    - No sub app from McGeady (preferable to JFC)
    - NImer's blue suit??? Whoops. 

The Ugly:
    - Ref wimping out of sending off Sollbauer

• Options
    BR3red said:

And?? 
    He said we were lucky...

With the euphoria of a win, it is easy to scoff - not aiming at you. We were (very) lucky 2nd half. Wouldn’t have been pleasant on here if ended 2-2 after being 2-0 at HT. Very nervous moments last 20 minutes.

We were far from good at all 2nd half, we were 2/0 up, at home, against a poor team. We were lucky with them hitting the woodwork.

He said that we were very lucky and I agree that we rode our luck. We had, however, put ourselves in a position to ride our luck. 
    It wasn't particularly enjoyable viewing for the last 25 minutes as we got deeper and deeper.
    Even after they scored we had chances to get a third (Cullen and Hemed). 
    The match showed how important Taylor and Williams are for us.
    He sounded really disappointed that we had won as opposed to being elated that we had beaten one of our relegation rivals.
    At the end of the day it's the number of goals scored that counts, not the percentage of possession or shots on or off target/corners/etc.
    He also conveniently forgot that Barnsley should have been down to ten men. 
  • Options
    BR3red said:

And?? 
    He said we were lucky...

He said that we were very lucky and I agree that we rode our luck. We had, however, put ourselves in a position to ride our luck. 
    It wasn't particularly enjoyable viewing for the last 25 minutes as we got deeper and deeper.
    He sounded really disappointed that we had won as opposed to being elated that we had beaten one of our relegation rivals.
    At the end of the day it's the number of goals scored that counts, not the percentage of possession or shots on or off target/corners/etc.
    And??
  • Options

😉
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    BR3red said:

And?? 
    He said we were lucky...

And??
    Good point. I was wondering why? 
  • Options

Ps. Cullen attempt? Cannot remember that?

Hamed glancing header gone in would have been special. Many around me (including myself) cannot see how he scores (ed) in the Prem
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    And what was their manager doing in jeans and trainers? I hope they didn't let him in any of the lounges afterwards!
    Did think it was a bit sunday league. Half expected him to do a stint running the line second half before handing out the orange slices and collecting subs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What happened when Hemed went over to Bowyer for a long chat and came back on like a man possessed?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    BR3red said:

Hamed glancing header gone in would have been special. Many around me (including myself) cannot see how he scores (ed) in the Prem
    Cullen also had a headed chance. 
  • Options
    BR3red said:

A super move which I think Cullen himself started,  long ball to Green on wing who crossed it in and Cullen arrived to meet but glanced header wide.
  • Options
    Yep 

got it now - thanks all

Bullet header 👍
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    BR3red said:

And?? 
    He said we were lucky...

And??
    Good point. I was wondering why? 
    🤣
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    Yep 

got it now - thanks all

Bullet header 👍
    I've looked back on the match thread and it was actually before they scored. Still a decent chance though. 
  • Options
    There was that thing we were doing with throw ins, which was nice.
  • Options
    It was between the Crowd and Andre Green for MOM, in a cracking atmosphere.

Our defence had no protection in those last 25 minutes, because we totally lost momentum after the subs from both sides.
    Heroics from Cullen and Pratley, but they were being run through and sad to see JFC stuck in 1st Gear. 

I'm sure Bowyer would have gone for a straight swap between Williams/ McGeady, Taylor/ Hemed and Field or Davies for Pratley. That wasn't possible in this game, so our much maligned defence had wave after wave of attacks come at them.

A bonkers week being a Charlton fan, but once we get the fitness levels up, it shouldn't keep being this painful.