Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Stayed behind for a while after the final whistle and some skirmishing between Barnsley fans, stewards and police in the JS stand. Vermin.
  • Options
    Massive three points but hope the rest of the season is not like the last 25 minutes - don't think my nerves could take it.
     Pratley immense again, must be in with a big shout for player of the year.
     Cullen and Green mightily impressive and thought Andre might have had a penalty near the end if he had gone down as he cut across the box - am sure the Barnsley defender caught him.
     Phillips made a couple of magnificent saves, with the first one having a touch of the Pele/Banks about it. Add in the impressive contributions of Taylor, Williams and Matthews and I just wonder if it's a Charlton thing where fans have to go through the wringer in the closing stages of a game.
  • Options
    On a positive note our set pieces were much better than before (other than one horrendous short one, which could have cost us a goal or last man red card), the delivery was good and in the first half we looked dangerous from just about every one of them, whether by Cullen or Doughty. Not sure why JFC took one of our later set pieces, as it was poor by comparison

And our throws were MUCH better, a couple of brilliant throws by Matthews into space for Pratley to run on to.
  • Options
    Fitness of our crocks is getting there. Once we have all our players available, Bowyer needs to find his best 11. Those 11 should give most sides a good game. My one worry is that defence. Why oh why we didn’t bring in a cb is beyond me. 
  • Options
    Stayed behind for a while after the final whistle and some skirmishing between Barnsley fans, stewards and police in the JS stand. Vermin.
    I sat right at the end of the east by the netting and they were at it most of the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    Bowyer's first comment doesn't exactly match the enthusiasm of Southall who seemed delighted with what we achieved

“It could’ve been worse"

Yes it's his cautious nature, and ambition, but I'm sure he hoped for better (and probably another striker)

• Options
    As a side note I thought Woodrow and Thomas for them both looked excellent. Hopefully two we look at in the summer.. may be available on the cheap if they go down.
  • Options
    I sat right at the end of the east by the netting and they were at it most of the game.
    I thought they were The quietest bunch of away fans for a long while.
  • Options
    PWR. Delighted with the 3 points. Very much in control until we made our subs then completely lost control of the midfield and it was largely Barnsley until the end. They'll definitely feel they'll have deserved at least a point based on chances but couldn't care less.

Think everyone put in a shift. Only player I felt was a bit off it was Green but still a great finish for his goal.

Thank god refs rarely enforce the 6 second law as Dillon was taking the piss today.
  • Options
    Almost forgot about ‘that save’ was an absolute worldy 

still believe that we are much better with a flat back 4 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We rode our luck at times and Phillips pulled off a worldie of a save. On the other side of the coin, their number 18 should have been sent off for two yellows, but the ref bottled it (it may not have helped, as it normally does not with us). 
    Don't think that JFC did as bad as some have said, although I would have thought that Ozzy was the better option, but Hemed was awful again and offers nothing. When he replaced Lyle we stopped defending from the front and Barnsley took over.
    Disappointed with Alfie today, as he twice failed to play Andre Green in when it was on. He really needs to lift his head when bombing forward. 
    Pratley was immense and I think that without him we would have lost. 
    Lyle Taylor showed today why it was so important to keep him. If he stays fit then I have no doubt that we will move up the table. 

• Options
    Mixed emotions. Elation at the result which in a sense was all that mattered today. But huge frustration at a lamentable second half display. We were truly awful and should have lost that. Why oh why do we persist in sitting deep as soon as we get ahead in a game? I’m getting truly fed up going to games at the Valley and feeling like we are the away side. We could get away with that in league 1 but not in the championship. Barnsley are a poor side but we treated them like Liverpool. Excellent individual displays from four or five of our lads but poor substitutions and a poor team set up nearly cost us. Took the edge of the win for me. 
  • Options
    I have to have a moan about our timewasting today. First of all why do we slow the tempo down when we go one up at home then again after the second? Sometimes I feel it ruins our momentum and Barnsley must have smelt blood when they see us running down the clock with a half of football yet to go.
    We had a decent first half yet the second half we didn’t really get going and one of the few chances we had when Pratley should have had a go himself instead of sending a poor ball out wide to Doughty. Williams must have chunks missing from his legs the way his was targeted today and how Sollbeaur didn’t get a second yellow is beyond me. Glad to see Jake get some more minutes too. And a special mention for Andre Green who looks like a handful and to Philips for a world class save early on.

• Options
    Decent if disjointed first half performance against a poor Barnsley side but the second half was worryingly inept. Barnsley were able to find space between our midfield and defence far too often and we were lucky to scrape home with the win. Hopefully we kick on as key players regain match fitness but if not at least Bow now has options available to change things up.
  • Options
    People keep digging the defence out but if our midfield can't retain possession and can't get out of their own half then our defenders will be under constant pressure. Too easy to lay all the blame on our defence.
    We ended up with a back 5 and overrun in midfield as a result. I would have taken off Sarr instead of Doughty, to bring on an extra midfielder or put Purrington at LB and Doughty in LM.
  • Options
    I thought they were The quietest bunch of away fans for a long while.
    Agreed, you could barely hear them in the first half, and hardly sung at all during the match
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Wouldn’t say we bossed the 1st half just took our chances and well taken they were.

Of course there are two teams on the pitch and inevitably Barnsley came out and gave it a go and made to look all the better by our tiring players.

Bowyer said, they changed their formation to match ours, why didn’t we change ours to counter that, or did we? Nevertheless a grateful 3pts.

Surprised no fanfare for HE and no songs either? We could of at least sang, Tahnoon’s Red and White Army, if nothing else?