Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Looked much much better going forward, albeit rode our luck at times.

Everybody gave 110% but was really impressed with Cullen and Green. Hard to pick a motm out of the two. 
  • Options
    Great to win but a shocking second half nearly cost us. Stats make awful reading against one of worst sides in the league.

• Options
     Such a shame Cullen couldn’t direct that diving header better. I might a creamed my pants if that went in, would’ve been a stunning goal. 
    Ewwww ..... you could have spared us all the mental image. :hushed:

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    Nimer getting a taste of a typical little bit of wee in the seat performance.
    Haha ..... if he keeps watching our matches, he'll learn all about squeaky bum time in the last 10 minutes + 8 added.

Poor chap, has no idea what he's let himself in for. :smile:

• Options
    2-1 to the Addicks,gutted I can’t make it today,but my littleun took grandad instead,so I’m defo there in spirit...

Taylor & Green...
    Cmon U Reds (& White Army)

make it a glorious Saturday arvo

Thank You Charlton boys..😁
  • Options
    Davis is going to make a big difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     Not great sitting back, much better when we press up the pitch. Could easily have been 2-2 or 2-3 whereas if we’d kept up the positive approach it could have been 4-0. 
    Reminds me of what they say about the “prevent defense” in the NFL... the only thing it prevents is winning.
  • Options
    Lets hope Bows is learning from these games. The subs almost lost us some points today. What do they say - If it aint broke, don't fix it!
  • Options
    So relieved we won.

But I am more than worried that we were out-possessed 61-39, out passed 70-52, out shot 16-8, out-shot in goal 6-4 and needed 2x as many saves....

all to scrape by maybe the worst team in the division, at home, with a big crowd and the owner present.

I worry we have a very difficult slog to the end of the season. We wasted all our transfer window trying to get midfielders and strikers instead of shoring up the actual part of our play that is costing us points.. defense.

Bowyer wants his teams to move the ball quickly. The focus is on one and two touch passes and getting into areas where we can create high quality chances. We hardly ever just have a pot shot from distance.

It means we usually don’t have as much possession and often less shots, but they’re shots inside the penalty area. Barnsley has loads of shots but a lot of them were from distance and didn’t trouble Phillips.

Under the likes of Robinson and Peeters we’d often have favourable stats but lose the match because all our passes were just us slowly recycling the ball 40 yards from goal and never breaking the lines. 

Good analysis 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    So relieved we won.

But I am more than worried that we were out-possessed 61-39, out passed 70-52, out shot 16-8, out-shot in goal 6-4 and needed 2x as many saves....

all to scrape by maybe the worst team in the division, at home, with a big crowd and the owner present.

I worry we have a very difficult slog to the end of the season. We wasted all our transfer window trying to get midfielders and strikers instead of shoring up the actual part of our play that is costing us points.. defense.

All those stats, Napa ....... but they are all meaningless really.

The only stat that counts, is that we scored more goals than opponents.  :smile:

Exactly that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We got lucky there, very lucky.

But I’ll take it.
  • Options
    Great 1st half but terrible 2nd half

The attitude was wrong , we were wasting time, going down for injuries, and generally hanging on with less than an hour gone. Once Jonny and Taylor went off we lost our attacking threat;  in the first half their centre backs were a red card waiting to happen,  once Hemed came on they had a comfortable match
  • Options
    We were very lucky today and still only 4 points off relegation. Sweating.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Taylor is Mr Charlton, feels like we have 3 or 4 extra players on the pitch when he is present . 
    He has been out biggest miss by a long way. I’d hate to have to mark him. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Taylor is Mr Charlton, feels like we have 3 or 4 extra players on the pitch when he is present . 
    He has been out biggest miss by a long way. I’d hate to have to mark him. 
    I'd also hate to have to try replace him next summer too.