Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Really don't think we should be playing 5-3-2, and was shocked to see that's how we set up when the team was announced.

I think we have a lot more quality then we showed today, but happy with the win and think we may go in a little run now. 
  • Options
    A bit drunk but COYRs!!!!!!!!!!
    and I bloody love CL
    x
  • Options
    Josh Cullen is the best player this club has had for a very long time.
    They all played ok but Barnsley were dangerous and unlucky - hitting post twice?
    Need better passing, organisation ( what was that set piece?)  & more possession. On Jubilee line back dejected West Ham fan thought Cullen won't fit back in unless they go down - let's hope we keep him. Stoke next COYR
  • Options
    Rob said:
    A great result but a game of 3 thirds. For 60 minutes we totally dominated. the final 15 we were under the cosh. I could see them equalising. They were flooding through the centre of midfield and we started playing far too deep. We missed Taylor and Williams when they came off. There was no pressure on them at the back so they just brought it forward.

You can see why LB has brought players in for the midfield. That's where the game is won and lost in my opinion.

Like I said, a great result and 3 points which were important as Wigan beat Leeds.

In Bows we trust.
    And the other 15-minutes?
  • Options
    Heard on commentary somebody got booked after the final whistle. Who was it and why?

• Options
    So relieved we won.

But I am more than worried that we were out-possessed 61-39, out passed 70-52, out shot 16-8, out-shot in goal 6-4 and needed 2x as many saves....

all to scrape by maybe the worst team in the division, at home, with a big crowd and the owner present.

I worry we have a very difficult slog to the end of the season. We wasted all our transfer window trying to get midfielders and strikers instead of shoring up the actual part of our play that is costing us points.. defense.

Bowyer wants his teams to move the ball quickly. The focus is on one and two touch passes and getting into areas where we can create high quality chances. We hardly ever just have a pot shot from distance.

It means we usually don’t have as much possession and often less shots, but they’re shots inside the penalty area. Barnsley has loads of shots but a lot of them were from distance and didn’t trouble Phillips.

Under the likes of Robinson and Peeters we’d often have favourable stats but lose the match because all our passes were just us slowly recycling the ball 40 yards from goal and never breaking the lines. 

Appreciate the thoughtful response! may I ask an additional question?

Is there a reason we don’t adopt a more progressive, attacking style that might allow even more shots on goal? I look at how RB Leipzig creates a culture of attack and they seem to have possession, goals and wins. It’s seems replicable, especially since they build from their Academy and only transfer in players aged 23 or under. If they can, why can’t we?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard on commentary somebody got booked after the final whistle. Who was it and why?

Lockyer was definitely having verbals with their lanky CB but he had already been booked hadnt he?

Also I’ve seen a couple of people say Cullen gave the ball away for their goal but i thought it was JFC on the edge of their box that lost possesion?
  • Options
    Subs almost cost us. I get the lads didn't have 90 in them but bringing on JFC for JW was criminal, should have been Oz. 

An important win though and much needed what with Wigan getting a result too. Win next week and the table will start to look much better.

Green motm, he was everywhere.
  • Options
    Correct....JFC tried to let the ball bounce inwards towards goal from the throw in, but lacked pace or strength to do so.
  • Options

One of their players did for arguing with the ref as three or four surrounded him after the whistle 
  • Options

Lockyer was definitely having verbals with their lanky CB but he had already been booked hadnt he?

Also I’ve seen a couple of people say Cullen gave the ball away for their goal but i thought it was JFC on the edge of their box that lost possesion?
    Definitely JFC who last the ball from our throw in. 
  • Options
    One of theirs got booked after the final whistle for giving grief to the ref! 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Just 5 wins out of the next 16 would get us to 48, which I think is just enough to keep us up. We can do it!!
    Defeatist. 

16 games means an opportunity to earn 48 more points.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Massive result
  • Options
    First half satisfactory, second unsatisfactory.
  • Options
    Forster-Caskey coming on changed the game, half a yard slower than everybody else on the pitch and offers fairly little going forwards and back. Should’ve been Field or McGeady. 
     Were you watching Hamed?

Fella checks the shipping forecast before changing direction!
  • Options
    First time we’ve had a strong side out for a while. Probably all lacking a bit of fitness/sharpness so a win was very good.

Cullen/Williams/Taylor. Keep those 3 fit and we will be fine.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Forster-Caskey coming on changed the game, half a yard slower than everybody else on the pitch and offers fairly little going forwards and back. Should’ve been Field or McGeady. 
    It will be next week, probably?

Forster-Caskey hasn't played since October - not surprising he wasn't sharp.
    At least it gave JFC some 'minutes' towards vital match fitness.

Its why I was surprised that he came on over anyone like Oztumer etc.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Correct....JFC tried to let the ball bounce inwards towards goal from the throw in, but lacked pace or strength to do so.
    Was right behind and in line with that incident, looked to me as though the ball bounced badly off something and went slightly behind him
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    How Philips didn't get booked for it was laughable really. Not that I'm complaining about it, but if it was against us I would've been doing my pieces.
    For that reason and his save, Phillips is my MOM. 😜