Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    A word on the opposition manager.

Jeans and white trainers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of theirs got booked after the final whistle for giving grief to the ref! 
    Cullen missed the lunging tackle in midfield. The bloke skipped past him and drove at our back 3. 

No drama....players miss tackles. But we were wide open. 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

He is Austrian, managers in that part of Europe are definitely more relaxed with their touchline fashion, but I couldn't help but laugh every time the camera panned to him. Looked like he jumped out of the away end and just decided to manage the team 
    Watched the stream with my dad and we thought exactly the same.
  • Options

I was sat right behind him and he was hilarious all game. My favourite thing about him was that he'd throw his nice coat off in a rage every time something didn't go their way and stand there in his jeans and jumper for a bit. Then he'd get cold and have to scurry back and stick his coat back on, right up until the ref did something he didn't like again.

Was he the person the ref booked?
  • Options
    Surprised at how high some of the marks are on the players thread given we scraped a 2-1 win over Barnsley.

• Options
    Thought the ref was poor but gave a lot of decisions our way 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too many people looking at too many stats,  possession, passes, corners etc are all well and good but the only one that matters is goals scored and today we scored more than them. 
    I'll take 5 more performances and results like today as we will be on 45 points and pretty much safe.
  • Options
    PWR blah, blah, blah.

The proverbial six pointer and @Len\'s_little_girl considered it sufficiently important to come home for which made it all the more enjoyable for me.

I'm not sure this was a 'good' game but it was certainly a tense one and felt more like a play off semi final than an ordinary league match. I was washed out and relieved by the end.

We took it to them from the off and Lyle Taylor showed how important he was we kept him with a clinical finish to Jason Pearce's knockdown from Josh Cullen's free kick to give us that 1 goal breathing space. 

Barnsley didn't come to The Valley to lie down and the defining moment of the game for me was Dillon's magnicficent diving save at full stretch to keep a Barnsley shot out which those of us behind the Covered End goal were convinced was in before Dillon somehow got there. Not quite Gordon Banks in the 1970 World Cup perhaps but justifies being mentioned in the same sentence for sure. Had Barnsley equalised then it could all have been very different. I had just turned to @Len\'s_little_girl to say 'Green hasn't done much has he?' when he in turn finished clinically just a couple of minutes before half time to give us a 2-0 lead at the break.

I hoped that blow just before half time would discourage Barnsley but they came out determined to get back into it but we weathered the storm and had a dood little spell ourselves and at that point Bow decided, understandably, to protect first Williams, replacing him with Forster - Caskey and a few minutes laterTaylor replacing him with Hemed. Suddenly Barnsley developed a second wind and some. They broke away down the length of the pitch to nick a goal out of nowhere and then we were under the cosh for the remainder of the game pretty much apart from a pinpoint cross from Green slap in front of goal which Hemed chose to ignore.

Somehow we hung on and grabbed a precious 3 points which is just as well given Wigan's win at Leeds today.

This was a team performance so I'm not mentioning individuals as they all put a shift in other than young Alfie Doughty who relished it and gave everything finally being substituted through fatigue after 88 minutes on the clock.

Anyone know why Lockyer got booked? I have no idea. Just one of a number of bizarre decisions by the referee.

Keep fighting like we did today and we should be ok.

COYR 

• Options
    ross1 said:

I was sat right behind him and he was hilarious all game. My favourite thing about him was that he'd throw his nice coat off in a rage every time something didn't go their way and stand there in his jeans and jumper for a bit. Then he'd get cold and have to scurry back and stick his coat back on, right up until the ref did something he didn't like again.

Was he the person the ref booked?
    No, that was the coach who kept screaming 'LINESMAN! LINESMAN! 20 SECONDS!' in an Austrian accent because he thought Dillon was taking the piss with his timewasting when he had the ball in his hands. Which, to be fair, he was.

Austrian accent?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    At least three separate kick offs in the JS stand today, even saw a naughty Tyke throw a punch at one of the 'rapid response team'.

I also thought it was going to turn nasty post match with Dillon and a couple of their players who didn't take to kindly to his game management.