Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    We got the result we needed,
    it was not pretty in the second half
    and Barnsley could have snatched a
    draw. fortunately they did not.
    awful moments of comedy panic
    after LT and JW came off.

We will have to play a lot better 
    especially in midfield when we travel
    to Stoke next week, or we could suffer.

i am Certain LB has a tactical plan.
    Come on you Reds !!

Good effort, but other than better and suffer, it doesn’t rhyme.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Croydon said:
    Hemed is obviously this season's marmite player. I really like him, he's strong in the air and is a nuisance for defenders. He's improved game by game since his injury and just needs a goal I feel. Similar to Josh Parker last season. 
    I thought he worked hard again but I wouldn't say he's strong in the air. Wins a few but loses more.
    Given he's had virtually no service he's doing alright. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Croydon said:
    Hemed is obviously this season's marmite player. I really like him, he's strong in the air and is a nuisance for defenders. He's improved game by game since his injury and just needs a goal I feel. Similar to Josh Parker last season. 
    I thought he worked hard again but I wouldn't say he's strong in the air. Wins a few but loses more.
    Given he's had virtually no service in the games he's played he's doing alright. 

If you look at his playing career then it is clear that Hemed is very useful in the air. But his strength is challenging in the box from balls played in from wide positions i.e when he is running on to the ball and facing the goal. He is not a target man for long balls played to him where he has his back to goal.

Now, we just need wide men who can get decent crosses in!!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    1968CAFC said:
    We got the result we needed,
    it was not pretty in the second half
    and Barnsley could have snatched a
    draw. fortunately they did not.
    awful moments of comedy panic
    after LT and JW came off.

We will have to play a lot better 
    especially in midfield when we travel
    to Stoke next week, or we could suffer.

i am Certain LB has a tactical plan.
    Come on you Reds !!

Good effort, but other than better and suffer, it doesn’t rhyme.
    If we do not play better then we did against Barnsley we could suffer at Stoke simple.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    Croydon said:
    Given he's had virtually no service in the games he's played he's doing alright. 

If you look at his playing career then it is clear that Hemed is very useful in the air. But his strength is challenging in the box from balls played in from wide positions i.e when he is running on to the ball and facing the goal. He is not a target man for long balls played to him where he has his back to goal.

Indeed. Can't recall a single header he's had in a situation like that but I may be mistaken. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 points is 3 points, double up for a win against a bottom of the pack rival .. I reckon that Barnsley and Luton are gone .. Wigan, Stoke and Huddersfield despite inconsistency could still pull out of 'danger' .. our team and management still has a lot to do  .. I am VERY hopeful that we will not be relegated .. as has been said by many on here, me included, fourth from bottom will do nicely even if the road to 21st might be heart attack inducing (please no more mention of bed wetting)
  • Options
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    Croydon said:

Indeed. Can't recall a single header he's had in a situation like that but I may be mistaken. 
    Green gave him just that today. From where I was sitting it looked on a plate
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    Croydon said:

That was Cullen wasn't it? 
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    Croydon said:

Looked slightly too high to me...
  • Options
    Ah ok couldn't make it and VP froze for a minute so must've been when that happened! 
  • Options
    Found the first half frustrating. Barnsley were awful and yet chances created were minimal although the late goal made half time easier. 
    Second half in control until Williams went off and the ability to move the ball reduced. Thought the decision to in effect save him for future games at that stage was wrong. Similarly with Taylor change. 
    Once they went it all became long ball and too frantic. Pratley I thought was poor as just running round reducing the defensive shape and too far forward where he doesn’t  have the necessary speed, touch or pass. 
    Overall good win but loads of room for improvement. 

• Options
    None of my business I suppose, but any idea if something happened to Andre Green this week? Seemed a bit emotional after he scored and the players all huddled round him. Looked like Bowyer came and had a longish chat with him at full time and then pointed something out to him in the stands. 
    Something to do with his family. Lyle said in an interview "It was great for Andre to score. especially with the week he has had with his family". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Taking off Taylor/Williams/Doughty and replacing them with Hemed/Forster-Caskey/Purrington might be the most unispiring trio of substitutions I’ve seen in a Charlton winning performance.

I think that they all needed replacing, the first two to protect them for the future and Doughty because he wasn't offering much defensively.
    I would never bring on Hemed because I don't see what he offers (I'd much rather have Josh Davison on the bench) . We could possibly have gone one up front when Taylor went off but that might have been unfair to Andre Green. 
    personally i'd have put purrington on for williams and pushed doughty up to left mid / wing, i'd then have swopped taylor later for mageedy or otzumer and played green up top on his own. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    kafka said:
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    Croydon said:

That was Cullen wasn't it? 
    No, Hemed definitely had one too. Having only seen it in real time from high up in the Covered End it's difficult to say for sure whether he should have done better or not.
    He did really well for the cut back and was just unlucky that none of our players were there. 
    Other than that I don't think that he offered much, offensively or defensively. 
  • Options
    A game of two halves, as good as we were in the first half there was no way Barnsley could have been as bad in the second. 
    They were deservingly behind at the break but their game, passing in particular, improved in the second. If we had got a third goal when were bossing the game I’m sure we would have looked a little more composed in the second half. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:8
    None of my business I suppose, but any idea if something happened to Andre Green this week? Seemed a bit emotional after he scored and the players all huddled round him. Looked like Bowyer came and had a longish chat with him at full time and then pointed something out to him in the stands. 
    Something to do with his family. Lyle said in an interview "It was great for Andre to score. especially with the week he has had with his family". 
    Been reported that his grandad died. 
  • Options
    Don't think there is an official stat for this, but Williams must be the most consistently fouled player in the Championship.  Not so much a marked man, more a target for opposition players to practice their agricultural skills on.  

Are all the fouls deliberate or just clumsy defending? Lost count of the number of times he got taken down yesterday.
    he's definitely targeted and feet are too quick for them so gets kicked but he also goes for balls that lots of other players of his type / build wouldn't - if i were bowyer i'd tell him to look after himself more - he's too important to take risks and put his body on the line
  • Options
    I think Bowyer is a really good manager but I thought he nearly lost the game for us, when will he learn that we dont have the defenders to hold on to games, - i Believe we have lost 17 points this seson from winning positions , as he will insist on taking off attacking players and bringing on defending players when we are hanging on - we need attacking players to take the pressure off the defence, as our defenders are not up too defending for long periods
    agreed - if we don't offer a genuine threat then its a matter of time before we concede - we got lucky yesterday  
  • Options
    I wonder if Pratley being pushed further forward towards the end was to do with him being on 9 bookings & one more would mean missing the next 2 games.....both away from home where LB might want to be more defensive. More likely to get booked diving into a tackle 25 yards from our goal than theirs. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:

If Barnsley go down then we need to buy Woodrow. Imagine keeping Taylor and putting them up top together, absolute hell for defenders. Also Thomas looked good and I’d take Mowatt. 

This. Three very, very good players. Hope SG had his notebook out.
  • Options
    The shape was weird after Williams went off, with Pratley playing more of an attacking role, and charging forward regularly from midfield. I'm sure that was something Bowyer told him to do, but it left us horribly open in midfield, indeed it almost seemed like we were playing 5-1-2-2
  • Options
    our throw ins are generally terrible - normally result in giving possession back to the opposition - the throw into space in the middle was a breath of fresh air but after it had come off 2 or 3 times, i was just waiting for the next one to be intercepted and everybody caught out of position - brilliant engine from pratley as it was him that was making the runs for these but he panicked on one where a bit of composure and he could have  drawn the defender and laid doherty in but he hit the pass early and straight out for a throw!!! He's no Zidaine that's for sure