Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Taking off Taylor/Williams/Doughty and replacing them with Hemed/Forster-Caskey/Purrington might be the most unispiring trio of substitutions I’ve seen in a Charlton winning performance.

I think that they all needed replacing, the first two to protect them for the future and Doughty because he wasn't offering much defensively.
    I would never bring on Hemed because I don't see what he offers (I'd much rather have Josh Davison on the bench) . We could possibly have gone one up front when Taylor went off but that might have been unfair to Andre Green. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Barnsley were able to find space between our midfield and defence far too often .......
    It happens whenever we sit too deep. Well as he played today, when Pearcey plays that's what we do.

• Options
    Whatever else it was,it was a massive three points which is a huge relief
  • Options
    Huge result. Shame about Leeds doing their usual bottle job against Wigan.
    However, it's always nice to Leeds come unstuck.  Us staying up and Leeds staying down would be a nice end to the season.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    for me this sends out the wrong message. We played football in the first half. Why change that?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Oggy Red said:
     Such a shame Cullen couldn’t direct that diving header better. I might a creamed my pants if that went in, would’ve been a stunning goal. 
    Ewwww ..... you could have spared us all the mental image. :hushed:

Sorry Oggy, but that moment had me up out of my arm chair, forgetting about my hangover, and I nearly dropped my baby daughter who was napping on me. 

Of all the spectacles in football I think the one I love the most is when a midfielder starts an attack and then arrives late to meet a cross and thump home a header. I don’t know why, I’ve just always found it spectacular. 

Was gutted it didn’t go in for Cullen. 
    I like it better when he arrives on time!

The epitome of that was Kinsella in the 4-2 win away at Walsall (or possibly the 5-2 win at Grimsby) the year we won the title under Curbishley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think we learnt a lot from this game and ironically how the last 25 mins played out may benefit us in the coming weeks as it will force Bowyer away from using those subs again. Can’t see JFC featuring again for a long while - surely needs time in the U23s like Aneke to build up fitness.

Stoke 100pc is a ‘must not lose’ game as opposed to the must win game yesterday. As such can see Davis coming in for this one - possibly at the expense of Doughty although his pace can be a good outlet on the counter I think experience will be key there. Then Taylor with Green and Williams off him, with McGeady the change to make around 75 when Williams tires, and if Taylor is hanging I would rather throw Aneke on.
  • Options
    However, it's always nice to Leeds come unstuck.  Us staying up and Leeds staying down would be a nice end to the season.
    I must be the only one who wants Leeds to go up. Another failure for them will almost certainly see Bielsa on his way, and Bowyer the clear favourite to be their next manager.
  • Options
    Don't think there is an official stat for this, but Williams must be the most consistently fouled player in the Championship.  Not so much a marked man, more a target for opposition players to practice their agricultural skills on.  

• Options
    3 precious points. The rest is just noise.
  • Options
    Don't think there is an official stat for this, but Williams must be the most consistently fouled player in the Championship.  Not so much a marked man, more a target for opposition players to practice their agricultural skills on.  

Are all the fouls deliberate or just clumsy defending? Lost count of the number of times he got taken down yesterday.
  • Options
    Think we learnt a lot from this game and ironically how the last 25 mins played out may benefit us in the coming weeks as it will force Bowyer away from using those subs again. Can’t see JFC featuring again for a long while - surely needs time in the U23s like Aneke to build up fitness.

Stoke 100pc is a ‘must not lose’ game as opposed to the must win game yesterday. As such can see Davis coming in for this one - possibly at the expense of Doughty although his pace can be a good outlet on the counter I think experience will be key there. Then Taylor with Green and Williams off him, with McGeady the change to make around 75 when Williams tires, and if Taylor is hanging I would rather throw Aneke on.
    It's not really.

We have 7 games left at home and 9 away. Currently on 33 points, if we say we need 50 to be safe, then we need another 6 wins to get past that.

Obviously it'll be good to pick up points away, but if we keep winning at home then we'll be fine. 
  • Options

It's not really.

We have 7 games left at home and 9 away. Currently on 33 points, if we say we need 50 to be safe, then we need another 6 wins to get past that.

Obviously it'll be good to pick up points away, but if we keep winning at home then we'll be fine. 
    We won’t stay up if we don’t pick up some points away - which we are more than capable of doing. Likewise - it’s not realistic for us to expect to be faultless at home. Main thing for me is we perform in the cup final 6 pointers of which this is one of .
  • Options
    Major said:
    Should CL shut down ?
  • Options
    I must be the only one who wants Leeds to go up. Another failure for them will almost certainly see Bielsa on his way, and Bowyer the clear favourite to be their next manager.
    Nope, I’m with you on this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major said:
    Should CL shut down ?
    More noise..
  • Options
    Major said:
    Should CL shut down ?
    More noise..

Quiet please.
  • Options

Are all the fouls deliberate or just clumsy defending? Lost count of the number of times he got taken down yesterday.
    I'd say at least a third of them aren't even fouls. Don't forget he was at the same midfield academy as Zaha.

The worst tackle on him yesterday and the only one I saw that actually hurt him, was when Cullen caught his ankle.
  • Options
    Great 3 points that. Very important win. Still think we can achieve mid table tho season and that will be a success. Difference Cullen, Taylor and Williams make is significant in the championship. If we can get something at stoke then we can really push on. Great support again. Really pleased for Green 
  • Options
    Much needed win, amazing atmosphere, twist and shout.

Am absolutely knackered today after that 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
     Such a shame Cullen couldn’t direct that diving header better. I might a creamed my pants if that went in, would’ve been a stunning goal. 
    Ewwww ..... you could have spared us all the mental image. :hushed:

Sorry Oggy, but that moment had me up out of my arm chair, forgetting about my hangover, and I nearly dropped my baby daughter who was napping on me. 

Of all the spectacles in football I think the one I love the most is when a midfielder starts an attack and then arrives late to meet a cross and thump home a header. I don’t know why, I’ve just always found it spectacular. 

Was gutted it didn’t go in for Cullen. 
    I like it better when he arrives on time!

The epitome of that was Kinsella in the 4-2 win away at Walsall (or possibly the 5-2 win at Grimsby) the year we won the title under Curbishley.
    It was Walsall away. Stood in the home end for that one. 

The Cullen header wouldve been up there with Paul Davis for Arsenal v Charlton in the 2-2 draw......had it not been 15 feet wide!! 
  • Options
    I think Bowyer is a really good manager but I thought he nearly lost the game for us, when will he learn that we dont have the defenders to hold on to games, - i Believe we have lost 17 points this seson from winning positions , as he will insist on taking off attacking players and bringing on defending players when we are hanging on - we need attacking players to take the pressure off the defence, as our defenders are not up too defending for long periods
  • Options
    We got the result we needed,
    it was not pretty in the second half
    and Barnsley could have snatched a
    draw. fortunately they did not.
    awful moments of comedy panic
    after LT and JW came off.

We will have to play a lot better 
    especially in midfield when we travel
    to Stoke next week, or we could suffer.

i am Certain LB has a tactical plan.
    Come on you Reds !!