Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Result all important , the performance scares me .
    Taylor the perfect wind up .
    How we ever can moan about other teams time wasting I’ll never know , we are just blatant nothing more so than the standard catch standing up by Phillips always followed by the dive to the floor, genuinely pathetic but I love it !! 
    Liked the Tequila attempt , maybe one day we’ll sing it as good as Tranmere but we’ll have to wake up half our support ! 
    Wigan result heart breaker but proves these teams won’t lay down and die .

80%  13th-21st ..........................20%  Relegation 

Have a look at the video posted yesterday, done by Barnsley themselves. Phillips antics towards the end were cringeworthy. Feel to the floor in stages & incensed one of their players so much that he got booked. Great you may say that Phillips got one of their players booked but imo he crossed the line between "taking time out" and "play acting". 
    Agreed that Phillips antics are no better than a lot of opposing Goalkeepers

Whats frustrating though is out of all the times its gone on at the Valley; Phillips appears the only one to ever get booked for it

Right at the end on Saturday when the ref went marching up to him I was fully expecting to see the card being shown

Of course he should have received a Yellow card as its bloody blatant but so should everyone else!!

• Options
    Most keepers fall to the floor when collecting the ball when their team is winning. It is the same as delaying picking it up. Nothing illegal and pretty common. 
  • Options
    I've no problem with time wasting in the last 10 minutes. Not when it happens for half the game though, as it sends out a message that we're hanging on already
  • Options
    Such a simple solution: enforce the 6-second rule. Strictly. 
  • Options
    How we ever can moan about other teams time wasting I’ll never know , we are just blatant nothing more so than the standard catch standing up by Phillips always followed by the dive to the floor, genuinely pathetic but I love it !! 
    Liked the Tequila attempt , maybe one day we’ll sing it as good as Tranmere but we’ll have to wake up half our support ! 

Have a look at the video posted yesterday, done by Barnsley themselves. Phillips antics towards the end were cringeworthy. Feel to the floor in stages & incensed one of their players so much that he got booked. Great you may say that Phillips got one of their players booked but imo he crossed the line between "taking time out" and "play acting". 

Agree. It was ridiculous and if the boot were on the other foot, there would've been uproar. Add the time on AND dish out a booking, and it would happen less. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    They were delaying his kicks by having a player standing close enough to him to justify him holding onto the ball. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    They were delaying his kicks by having a player standing close enough to him to justify him holding onto the ball. 
    Players can legally stand close to keepers; keepers do not have a monopoly or first call on uncontested ground/space. An offence only occurs when the attacker moves and blocks (or attempts to block) the keeper releasing the ball.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I didn't say it was not legal, but I think he was close enough for Phillips to delay the kick on safety grounds (just about if you gesture your reasoning) and the ref didn't pull him up on it so must have agreed. It makes sense not to give that opportunity to the keeper if you are chasing. I would be calling him back if i was his manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    There is only one reason why teams do it and that is that refs never add on enough time so it is worth your while doing it. My son (a keeper) did it in youth football and I never had a problem with my players doing it when I managed. Yes, it is annoying when opponents do it but hey ho, swings and roundabouts. This was an important game, not a Corinthian Casuals match! 
  • Options

He didn't try to get the bloke booked though, he was time wasting by playing up to the collision. 
  • Options
    I'm glad we did it as it's unfortunately part of the game now. However putting aside Charlton bias for a minute, I thought it was absolutely criminal what we were allowed to get away with. At times Phillips was holding onto the ball for 20 seconds at a time. Goal kicks were taking an age. It's absolutely baffling that he didn't receive a booking. Every second that could be eaten up was. We would have been incensed if roles were reversed.

As I say, I'm glad we did it as we needed to win and I don't blame Charlton in the slightest as every team would and should do the same. But IMO the issue of time wasting needs to be addressed across the board. The point has been made on here before, but it is significantly cutting down on the actual football being played which we as supporters pay good money to see. Referees need to be much stricter on goalkeepers delaying kicks and collapsing on the ball after a catch under no pressure, as well as obviously fake 'injuries'. 

To be fair to Saturday's ref, he did add on a generous amount of stoppage time, so he was obviously paying attention. But we still should have been hurried along and told to get on with it far more at various stages and received bookings when we didn't. It's so boring and shit to watch when it's not your team. See Preston at home earlier this season for example. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The solution can't come from a team saying won't time waste seeing as opponents will do. It has to come from refs or punishments from authorities. But playing up after an injury is difficult as you can't be sure it isn't genuine. I must admit, I do like the way they stop the clock in Rugby. As we have introduced VAR, surely an independent time keeper isn't too big a step in this day and age. Mind you catching the ball and going to ground is different as you can't stop the clock for that. Maybe refs could come down hard on keepers taking too long to get rid of the ball again!

On Saturday the Barnsley forward was close enough to move into Phillips as he kicked the ball. It gave Phillips the opportunity/excuse to delay. I just think it isn't wise to do this if you are chasing the game, the same as you need to avoid fouls (look how much time a free kick can take). Also don't fight or get into arguments if you are chasing. Of course if you are defending a lead, anything that disrupts the game is fair enough! 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    It's not even close to 6 seconds, keepers are holding onto it for 20 seconds or more. Don't understand why they don't clamp down on it. 
  • Options
    The solution can't come from a team saying won't time waste seeing as opponents will do. It has to come from refs or punishments from authorities. But playing up after an injury is difficult as you can't be sure it isn't genuine. I must admit, I do like the way they stop the clock in Rugby. As we have introduced VAR, surely an independent time keeper isn't to big a step in this day and age. Mind you catching the ball and going to ground is different as you can't stop the clock for that. Maybe refs could come down hard on keepers taking too long to get rid of the ball again!

On Saturday the Barnsley forward was close enough to move into Phillips as he kicked the ball. It gave Phillips the opportunity/excuse to delay. I just think it isn't wise to do this if you are chasing the game, the same as you need to avoid fouls (look how much time a free kick can take). Also don't fight or get into arguments if you are chasing. Of course if you are defending a lead, anything that disrupts the game is fair enough! 

Isn't the 4th Official suposed to keep the clock, and if thats not his job then  why cant it be ?  Its only going to change if the refs get tough and start carding early and sending the players off. I am sure that Phillips wouldnt want to be walking back into the changing room to face bows if he has been sent off for time wasting.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It would be a booking before a sending off and Phillips didn't get booked. I think taking too long to take a goal kick is a booking, but being injured or falling when you catch the ball clearly isn't.

I have to be honest and say that I encouraged time wasting as a manager last season. I think it is down to the ref to stop it. Not something professionals can do, but I did always point out very thick bushes and suggested if we were leading with not much time to go to find them with clearances. Even though teams have spare balls, the first instinct is always to retrieve the current ball. 

In one game, the ball trickled out of play and one of our midfielders booted the stationary ball into a thick bush with sharp thorns. It wasn't quite what I meant and it all kicked off after that, with our opponents wanting to fight us in the car park.  
  • Options
    alicwkd said:
    I'm glad we did it as it's unfortunately part of the game now. However putting aside Charlton bias for a minute, I thought it was absolutely criminal what we were allowed to get away with. At times Phillips was holding onto the ball for 20 seconds at a time. Goal kicks were taking an age. It's absolutely baffling that he didn't receive a booking. Every second that could be eaten up was. We would have been incensed if roles were reversed.

As I say, I'm glad we did it as we needed to win and I don't blame Charlton in the slightest as every team would and should do the same. But IMO the issue of time wasting needs to be addressed across the board. The point has been made on here before, but it is significantly cutting down on the actual football being played which we as supporters pay good money to see. Referees need to be much stricter on goalkeepers delaying kicks and collapsing on the ball after a catch under no pressure, as well as obviously fake 'injuries'. 

To be fair to Saturday's ref, he did add on a generous amount of stoppage time, so he was obviously paying attention. But we still should have been hurried along and told to get on with it far more at various stages and received bookings when we didn't. It's so boring and shit to watch when it's not your team. See Preston at home earlier this season for example. 
    4 minutes were added on in the first half, then 6 in the second half (plus another 2 for a stoppage in added time)

If added time was added on for Dillon's timewasting, then all it achieved was to make everyone go home later!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    If he takes the kick and is impeded, their guy gets booked. It is no barrier whatsoever
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Preston did when they came down to the Valley, and it's a big part of picking up points in this day and age, and one of the reasons we are going to stay up.  We need to indulge in the dark arts, and I think Bowyer has instilled it in the team for the better.  Of course, I think everyone would like to see a better level of fair play in football across the board, but as long as it exists, whether it be West Brom fans refusing to give the ball back, players diving and time wasting, then we have to indulge in it as well unfortunately.  
    I agree, but I hate the hypocrisy of fans who support our players when they do this, but then scream blue murder at the opposition players for doing the same thing
  • Options
    At the end of the day, it’s part of game now, it’s not going to change unless they bring a law into it to stop these things from happening.

Every other club does it and to good effect. I was pleased that we are becoming more street wise and taking the sting and momentum out of the game.

It’s frustrating when it happens to us, but we only have ourselves to think and worry about. So anything that helps us frustrate the opposition and win us points, within reason of the laws of the game, I’m all for it.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    If he takes the kick and is impeded, their guy gets booked. It is no barrier whatsoever
    If you take a kick and you get a boot arrive as you are kicking it can do some harm.
  • Options
    Specifically goalkeepers collapsing on the ball/laying on the floor when having caught the ball. There’s absolutely no law in the game to say that’s wrong. I loved it when Phillips done it on Saturday and specifically said in my initial post match response that I am pleased he has started to learn the art of it. 
  • Options
    I don't think it wastes a lot of time either, it just winds up attackers and makes them more likely to foul which you want in the closing moments. I saw Bayern Munich take a minute to take a free kick against Arsenal in the Champions league a few years back and the ref didn't play any more than the allocated additional time. 
  • Options
    Six second rule strictly enforced is the way to go.  Also an automatic red card for any club that are whiney norvern monkeys!

Seems fair.
  • Options
    The solution can't come from a team saying won't time waste seeing as opponents will do. It has to come from refs or punishments from authorities. But playing up after an injury is difficult as you can't be sure it isn't genuine. I must admit, I do like the way they stop the clock in Rugby. As we have introduced VAR, surely an independent time keeper isn't to big a step in this day and age. Mind you catching the ball and going to ground is different as you can't stop the clock for that. Maybe refs could come down hard on keepers taking too long to get rid of the ball again!

Isn't the 4th Official suposed to keep the clock, and if thats not his job then  why cant it be ?  Its only going to change if the refs get tough and start carding early and sending the players off. I am sure that Phillips wouldnt want to be walking back into the changing room to face bows if he has been sent off for time wasting.
    Hi @bil@billysboots. More responsibilites have been handed over to the 4th official since its formal inception, but not timekeeping. Referees keep timing simply because it can be a personal opinion on what constitutes time wasting and the referee is the main arbiter of match day on field decisions.

In my days as fourth official at football league games, my role would be limited to noting all cautions and sendings off, times of such, players numbers and reasons. Since then, 4th officials have additionsl to supervise substitutions and game manage the benches and managers.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    If you take a kick and you get a boot arrive as you are kicking it can do some harm.
    Can't even recall the last time I saw that happen. Strikers know that's a foul so don't do it anymore, they just follow the movement of the keeper to try to distract him. 
  • Options
    Yes, but if I am a keeper looking to waste time and the player is within range, I will delay and usually get away with it because the player doesn't have to be that close.
  • Options
    Of course if you can get away with it why not. Phillips succeeded. Up to refs to clamp down on it, until then I'm sure he'll keep doing it.